Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Foton Tunland

R350k?? Ha ha. Thats very optimistic!! They take us for suckers!! I do not have anything against the Steed, but for that price I'd buy a secondhand Jap/German truck!!

yip thats toooo much
    the steed at 250k is already expensive nevermind 350k
    4x4 action group
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za

Nissan navara (camping and family truck)
    Jeep XJ (to make sure fortunes can't follow)
    Triumph tiger 800 (everyday drive)
    Conqueror safari trailer

Quote Originally Posted by andre` View Post
    Foton Tunland has just been up Baboons Pass completely standard with open diffs and with belly protection added in 4.5 hours. A Toyota owner said that it is more comfortable than his new Hilux.
    Hi, can someone please give me the name of a nearby town/village to Baboon Pass? I am planning a Lesotho trip for May and would like to take a look. I can't find it on my paper maps.

Thanks, jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 8321 View Post
    Hi, can someone please give me the name of a nearby town/village to Baboon Pass? I am planning a Lesotho trip for May and would like to take a look. I can't find it on my paper maps.

Thanks, jeff
    Ramabanta Trading Post
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Importing a few samples and impressing the media with them is one thing. Keeping them going in a vast country in terms of support is another question, especially against the background/history of spares/body panel availability experienced from certain brands coming from the east!

If I should have a breakdown in the Northern Cape, (I am not even going across the border yet) what will my experience be in terms of big brand names being flashed at the launch circus? Cummings support for a bakkie? - spares and know how availability - say again? Say no more!
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post

If I should have a breakdown in the Northern Cape, (I am not even going across the border yet) what will my experience be in terms of big brand names being flashed at the launch circus? Cummings support for a bakkie? - spares and know how availability - say again? Say no more!
    Foton is a big serious commercial brand in China. They way that the Chinese are expanding into Africa, you will probably find spares easier than Toyota soon.

Importing a few samples and impressing the media with them is one thing. Keeping them going in a vast country in terms of support is another question, especially against the background/history of spares/body panel availability experienced from certain brands coming from the east!

Well ask it from the other side, if you had to break down in the Northern Cape in your Jeep, what are the chances then?

Thanks, OwenD.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Well ask it from the other side, if you had to break down in the Northern Cape in your Jeep, what are the chances then?
    Ask me - I know. The Jeep I once owned broke its gearbox on the other side of Klawer. 36 hours later the Jeep was at the repair shop in Montague Gardens - courtesy of a flat bed at R3300.

There is a Toyota workshop in both Vredendal and Clanwilliam - both within 60 k's from the break down.

I once had a problem with my HiLux's gearbox. The part was couriered from Durban and I was back on the road within 36 hours.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

You shouldn't have bought a lemon Poen :-)

andre` Guest

I was part of the group that took the Fotons up Baboons. It is really a good vehicle. If I had R450k I would buy a Ford, but with R335k I would consider the Foton above buying someone else`s problem.

As for spares, if you broke a belt on a Pentastar motor in December, you would have to wait more than a week. I was lucky in December, I managed to obtain the only steering box for a RHD JK in South Africa.

Did they ever decide to put a factory locker on that thing?
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    Did they ever decide to put a factory locker on that thing?
    LSD according to their website.

The initial Foton products in SA looked really bad,not sure how they were reliability wise though.But for no money would I have bought one.
    The Tunland is a huge step up for them,but with that said even that does not justify the price.They should have started way lower and built a trust in their product firts,much like GWM that people now realise is not a bad vehicle and even now their pricing is Incredible value for money.
    They should have not come in at over 300k,no matter what the argument may be to justify it.But thats how I see it from a prospective D/C bakkie buyer
    Last edited by Mr.G; 2013/01/13 at 06:37 AM.

and the BAD news .... to the best of my knowledge it's marketed by Imperial. Now if this is so I won't touch it with a barge pole, they cannot support a brand like Mitsubishi with spares, how are they going to support Foton. I have looked at it, I like what I see, but quite honestly no thanks, whiled marketed by a company that simply does not believe in backup.

I have bought a 4x4 double cab luxury 2013 mode I have done 2000km on the clock and im impressed with the handling and fuel consumption im driving in town and it gives me average 9L/100KM not bad at all. The only thing I have noticed is that next to the clock on the left side of the time I can see a temperature symbol ( C ) but its not clear like the time so im not sure if it is mine that does not work or is it a upgrade that I must do and the seats in my tunland is comfortable.

Foton has a joint venture with Daimler AG, can't be that bad then. Here in PNG most big trucks are Foton, which says a lot, as only the hardiest vehicles survive.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nico van deventer 5006 View Post
    I have bought a 4x4 double cab luxury 2013 mode I have done 2000km on the clock and im impressed with the handling and fuel consumption im driving in town and it gives me average 9L/100KM not bad at all. The only thing I have noticed is that next to the clock on the left side of the time I can see a temperature symbol ( C ) but its not clear like the time so im not sure if it is mine that does not work or is it a upgrade that I must do and the seats in my tunland is comfortable.
    Hi Nico and everybody. Greetings from Colombia.

What about your bakkie? Don't you go out of the city?

I also bought a luxury Tunland, the one with 4 speakers and parking sensors. It has 5 months and 3000 km now and I'm happy with it.

I live in Bogota (2600 meters above sea level) and I have gone to a 1600-3200 m range, winding, steep road, and also some 300 km on steep dirt or mud trail. This Cummins engine is great. The Tunland overtakes all kind of cars at any altitude, including at 3200 m.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Default The Foton Tunland 4x4 is every day better

I got an upgrade of the computer program to start the turbo at a lower threshold, and the bakkie ďfliesĒ now on the steep roads. Itís approaching 5000 km and Iím every day more satisfied.

I am very interested in the single cab tunland. Only down side it is a 96kw. What to do to get 120 or 135kw? I know dastk has a chip, but that is for the 120kw D/C 4x4.

Is egr and cat delete possible without major mods?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast