Leisure Wheels Magazine - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    you have the forum - usually a lot more entertaining!!!
    True! We have Incredible Babe, Battery Babe, Diesel (spit) Babe, Toyota Babe....
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Quote Originally Posted by Baben View Post
    The proof of the pudding, if Indeed LW are intending on attracting Womenfolk to their mag:

I put the Leisure Wheels, CAR, and SA4x4 in front of my Baben, who owns and drives a 4x4 (albeit with Jimmy Choo tyres), and loves overlanding, 4x4 tracks and getting the RR into mud/sand/water or whatever is the most likely to get us stuck....

She dismissed the Leisure Wheels with a quick huff. Something about "What the *&*&^ is a 'Babe....' " and picked up the SA4x4

I also find the increasing "Babe" aspect of the magazine tiresome, and will think twice before renewing my sub - the mag seems to have headed off in a direction we are not interested in.

I have to say, beloved does not fall into any kind of demographic category, but if you want to die painfully, just call her a babe (she IS a babe. but you can't call her that). If you want a small war, call her and her friends babes when they are out together. I've seen this happen. We went out with some mates and the girls took a table on their own, and some chumps who fancied their chances sent drinks to "the babes over there" poor guys. the boy table just sat and laughed at the poor buggers. It wasn't pretty.

Edit - actually we were just scared to go over in case the girls started on us when they'd finished demoralising the chumps...

point is, I'm not any kind of expert on marketing, but I don't quite know who the babes thing is aimed at, it's a little derogatory in my opinion... but hey, in these matters I just take cover...
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2012/04/23 at 09:44 AM.

Like Darrel and a few others said, most of the 4X4 magazines have become one long Toyota advert. However, that said, I still buy the SA4X4 and WegRy magazines. Though one of the things that I have picked up by now is that most of the magazines tell the same story!

A while ago the SA4X4 had the article on spotlights, two months ago WegRy has a similar article. The same goes with most of the other articles. If one goes to the Okavango, sure as nuts a few months later the others will have a similar article.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
    True! We have Incredible Babe, Battery Babe, Diesel (spit) Babe, Toyota Babe....

And pora babe?

And yes the forum is better WAY better
    4x4 action group
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za

Nissan navara (camping and family truck)
    Jeep XJ (to make sure fortunes can't follow)
    Triumph tiger 800 (everyday drive)
    Conqueror safari trailer

@DirtyDog - you have to be fair as well. Any 4x4 magazine worth its salt will have a spotlight article from time to time, and if you have two opinions, so much the better. And any South African 4x4 magazine will go to the Okavango at some point, not because another magazine did it, but because it is a prime 4x4 destination! Same with Kaokoland, Richtersveld, Mana Pools, South Luangwa, Wild Coast... The list is long.

And what about that China made Double Cab in the latest edition they refer to it as an "All New Design" when it is in fact blatanly and obviously a copy of the current Hilux,no wonder they want to target Hilux sales, well al least they do say it is not based on the Isuzu anymore!!! Yes I have to agree LW is turning into a really crap magazine.

Besides the fact that it has developed into this Bush Babe’s magazine is the accuracy of the figures provided another thing that bothers me.

In the buyers guide section of the Ladies Wheels, the fuel consumption figures of the 3.0D-4D Prado shows that it uses 14.8L/100km, where they got these figures from I dint know? Mine uses 10.7L/100km, avg. worked out over last 30 000km. I have send them an email about this two months ago, they still haven’t responded or did anything about it.

Unfortunately I am also subscripted for 12 months until September, but after then I will rather consider the new SA Top Gear magazine.
    -Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B
    -----------------------------------------------

bought the latest edition, paged through it once and thought what a waste of money. havent picked up the magazine again.
    Ross

Guys, guys, guys!!!

Let's not bash the poor mag any further. I used to buy it as well; but stopped when I realised that it was not as informative/educational as I'd hoped. I'm relatively new to the game and I'm therfore constantly in search of information pertaining to offroading.
    I was given two old copies of Drive-Out. One deals with spotlights and the other looks at diff-locks. The articles are extremely informative, providing technical info in layman's terms as well as additional info such as wiring, different applications, offerings from various manufacturers, etc.
    If that is the norm, then Drive-Out is the type of mag I would want to read. (I may just retract all of this a few issues down the line)
    Some people simply enjoy the entertainment aspect of a mag, which LW provides.
    So live and let live. Read whatever does it for you and let those who want to buy LW do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokes View Post
    Guys, guys, guys!!!

Let's not bash the poor mag any further. I used to buy it as well; but stopped when I realised that it was not as informative/educational as I'd hoped. I'm relatively new to the game and I'm therfore constantly in search of information pertaining to offroading.
    I was given two old copies of Drive-Out. One deals with spotlights and the other looks at diff-locks. The articles are extremely informative, providing technical info in layman's terms as well as additional info such as wiring, different applications, offerings from various manufacturers, etc.
    If that is the norm, then Drive-Out is the type of mag I would want to read. (I may just retract all of this a few issues down the line)
    Some people simply enjoy the entertainment aspect of a mag, which LW provides.
    So live and let live. Read whatever does it for you and let those who want to buy LW do so.
    The entertainment value of the magazine is debatable and, I agree with you, a matter of personal taste. Most of the issues with the magazine relate to their slack attitude when it comes to publishing facts and figures. Also remember that the magazine has changed and the quality deteriorated substantially over the last year. Is it not better to bash the mag rather than just stop buying it?
    Rudi - "It's a Jeep thing"
    2011 Grand Cherokee Hemi
    2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by rudioverland View Post
    Is it not better to bash the mag rather than just stop buying it?
    No, Nothing wrong with constructive critisizm, but "bashing" has never been constructive.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Only bought it because Sakkie was featured
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

I see still a lot of forumites buy/read the SA4x4. Have they managed to sort out the editing? I bought a few in the past, but have always been disgusted by the spelling and grammar mistakes.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Default Leisure Wheels Magazine

I get LW, CAR, Driveout & Topgear.
    Subscribed to all.

I would rate them in this order

1. Drive Out
    2. Car
    3. Leisure Wheels
    7. Top Gear

No magazine will I be able to please all the people with every article, all the time.

In Drive Out, most articles interest me, the one's that don't are because of my personal likes & dislikes.

I have NO problem with Leisure Wheels having a few articles that are for 'Women Only', but that should not make up no more than 10 - 15% of the mag.
    Remember, there are no 'Men Only' articles...
    I find the 'Babe' thing condescending to women.

But, about 60% of the mag is good, they must just tigten up accuracy & try harder.

Interestly, both CAR & Leisure Wheels are RAMSAY publications.
    Bot May iditions covered the Spain launch of the 8spd Auto Amarok,
    yet CAR contained none of the errors it's sister publication did..?

I still believe there is a POSITIVE role for the Forum to play in Leisure Wheels.
    Danie, Glyn, Leilanie etc... are all decent people...

Quote: "I still believe there is a POSITIVE role for the Forum to play in Leisure Wheels. Danie, Glyn, Leilanie etc... are all decent people... "

I would have thought it should read the other way around. The magazine should rather play a role by stimulating forum topics. It should not be the other way around. Since when do we owe loyalty or input to a magazine when our contribution to their circulation figures (not their money, that comes from the advertisers) makes the advertisers pay up?

Perhaps we should rather stop tolerating mediocrity. Tolerance with such standards of delivery has resulted in the service delivery South Africans have to put up with these days.

I suggest we insist on deliverables that meets requirements! If our money is good enough, the deliverable should match it!
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

I would have thought it should read the other way around. The magazine should rather play a role by stimulating forum topics.
    Nope, the forum is interactive, a magazine is not.

Ask the Girls....It seems the Lw is targeting a female reader (bush babes ) etc etc arent there any females on the forum that can comment? What do the girls think of the magazine? Do they enjoy it? For all we know(guys) there is a strong happy following of LW and we just dont know it.....

Like surely there is a little island somewhere with woman running around in camo bikini's, driving 4x4's, reading leisure wheels.....oops sorry thinking out loud
    Cruiser 76 V8
    Disco 4 XS

To all the guys out there punting Weg Ry. In the new issue they have decided that you can't have a Rubicon with automatic transmission! I can't believe that Jeep has sold me car without fitting a clutch pedal!
    Rudi - "It's a Jeep thing"
    2011 Grand Cherokee Hemi
    2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by rudioverland View Post
    To all the guys out there punting Weg Ry. In the new issue they have decided that you can't have a Rubicon with automatic transmission! I can't believe that Jeep has sold me car without fitting a clutch pedal!
    I read that sentence that "you can't have a diesel auto". But I agree, it did seem a bit confusing
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nope, the forum is interactive, a magazine is not.
    From time to time I suffer these dumb moments when I find it difficult to comprehend.

Dirk, please explain what you mean. I am obviuously missing your point.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast