Leisure Wheels Magazine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Leisure Wheels Magazine

After scanning through the latest issue of this magazine I have decided not to buy it anymore. For a while now I have felt that the general quality of the magazine has been in decline. After reading how a Wrangler Sahara has independent suspension,at least twice in one article, i have decided enough is enough. This magazine seems determined to chase after a female readership, but the way they are going about it is insulting to women to say the least. My wife would make me eat broccoli for a month if I referred to her as a "babe", so the "bush babes" section is offensive to her. She was also well aware that her Wrangler Sahara had a solid axle in front and what that meant. You don't need to dumb down your content, be factually incorrect and sexist to attrack a female readership. This will however alienate your male readership. I'll stick to SA 4x4 in the future.
    Rudi - "It's a Jeep thing"
    2011 Grand Cherokee Hemi
    2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

I guess it is each to their own, no magazine is going to appeal to everyone. I personally refuse to buy SA4x4 anymore as to me it seemed to become one long Toyota advert, but I do quite enjoy Leisure Wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by rudioverland View Post
    After scanning through the latest issue of this magazine I have decided not to buy it anymore. For a while now I have felt that the general quality of the magazine has been in decline. After reading how a Wrangler Sahara has independent suspension,at least twice in one article, i have decided enough is enough. This magazine seems determined to chase after a female readership, but the way they are going about it is insulting to women to say the least. My wife would make me eat broccoli for a month if I referred to her as a "babe", so the "bush babes" section is offensive to her. She was also well aware that her Wrangler Sahara had a solid axle in front and what that meant. You don't need to dumb down your content, be factually incorrect and sexist to attrack a female readership. This will however alienate your male readership. I'll stick to SA 4x4 in the future.
    +1
    I too refuse to by Ladies Wheels any more...

I agree - most of the usual three mags seem to be lacking a bit of inspiration. SA4x4 have tried to re-position, but they all start to feel the same.

Still, they beat reading the same inflight magazine on the CT - JHB flight !
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2012 Mini-Metalian Trailer

I commented sometime back on this whole 'babe' thing (not what I want to read in a 4x4 magazine, demeaning). A mate summed it up well - paging quickly through the magazine will make you wonder if it is full of sanitary towel adverts, with all the pics of women hanging out of vehicles, jumping in the air and so on.
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Quote Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
    I commented sometime back on this whole 'babe' thing (not what I want to read in a 4x4 magazine, demeaning). A mate summed it up well - paging quickly through the magazine will make you wonder if it is full of sanitary towel adverts, with all the pics of women hanging out of vehicles, jumping in the air and so on.
    I agree ...I mean if they were wearing little or no clothing...now that would be a man's magazine!
    Cruiser 76 V8
    Disco 4 XS

Agree

As a subscriber to ladies wheels I also think they are loosing the plot especially when they do a whole 2 pages artical on 1 woman
    4x4 action group
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za

Nissan navara (camping and family truck)
    Jeep XJ (to make sure fortunes can't follow)
    Triumph tiger 800 (everyday drive)
    Conqueror safari trailer

And I will not be renewing any subscriptions any time soon
    4x4 action group
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za

Nissan navara (camping and family truck)
    Jeep XJ (to make sure fortunes can't follow)
    Triumph tiger 800 (everyday drive)
    Conqueror safari trailer

Yes Leisure Wheels should just stick to "leisure wheels".

Only if im off on holiday and I want some light reading stuff will I buy SA4X4, I quite like DRIVE OUT magazine though.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

LEISURE WHEELS is turning into x18 Wheels soon, SA4X4 rocks,
    2009 Cruizer 70 D/C
    Supercharged 4.0 V6
    UNICHIP
    Ceramic coted branches
    OME Suspension
    Front & Rear lockers
    Replacement Bumper front and back
    Winch
    305/75.17 MTX Maggs with BF AT's
    XTC Dual Batt system
    Solar Pannels
    Escape Gear Seat Covers
    Roof Carrier
    Alu Canopy
    Drawer System
    400 ltr's Fuel Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildhunter View Post
    I agree ...I mean if they were wearing little or no clothing...now that would be a man's magazine!
    Hahaha, I do think one of them is on the forum, so you better watch out

All the magazines are just bloody ads these days with only one or two interesting stories.
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Took an "e" subscription and get them sent to my iPad monthly, at about R7 a copy it is an absolute steal, its not the best but there is some reading fodder in each issue at least. Any 'road test' in any mag needs to be read pretty objectively but at least you get some info and fact.
    FJC - Just Cruising

I wholeheartedly agree and have been meaning to write to them and tell them. Hopefully they read it here or get to hear about this.

Maybe they think they are smart by appealing to the female readers but quite honestly I think they will lose more readers than they gain. I am tired of the constant drivel about the 'babes" adventures and their puerile writing style.

Firstly, and without meaning offence, are those women really the definition of a babe? It would be like me calling myself a "hunk".

Secondly, the quality of the articles has got so poor I hardly bother to read most of them. Terms like "menacing looking" and "ominous growl" to describe vehicles are not meant for a 4x4 enthusiast. When last did you find a car part menacing?

And that hat!
    Todd
    D4 V8 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Terms like "menacing looking" and "ominous growl" to describe vehicles are not meant for a 4x4 enthusiast. When last did you find a car part menacing?
    Maybe they are referring to the 'babes'?
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Default Leisure Wheels Magazine

Leliani Basson (red hat chick) is a Forum member...

Click here;
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/member.php?u=31946

YES!! They also state the Auto Amarok has a DSG gearbox and this after they have been to the launch!! And, a softroader is excluded from a test on the basis that it is too refined!! Disappointing and not professional at all. Will not buy again.

Default Hey, its not so bad

Its not so bad after all, after 2 years of moaning and groaning they had a Pajero in the mag. (and this time it wasn't knocked so badly)

One of these days you will have those "Babes" reporting on the "Offroad Test Drive" articles.

I suppose the many adverts are in there to finance the mag. Well, soon it will only be the guys that advertise in there that will buy it

Renier
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.
    Topless Tersia - 96 J-Top SWB 3.0 V6 Pajero. Restoration 99% completed.

Buying the mag for factual correct articles or honest road tests is like buying the New Age paper for their unbiased news articles!

PS: Last time I checked my Sahara def had a SFA
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Double Cab 4x4
    Jeep Wrangler 3.8 Unlimited (Sold)
    Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 Double Cab 4x2 (Sold)

Sahara now has IFS havent you heard, geez who edits these articles.... becoming like the "huisgenoot" without the Joost holes in the underwear stories they have holes in most of there 4x4 write ups.....
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

I agree most of these mags should be considered "light reading" and not taken too seriously. I would certainly not buy a hardcopy, but I do subscribe to Getaway, Leisure Wheels and SA4x4 via Ebook. Not too concerned about some of the [email protected] in the magazine if I am only paying R60 for the year.

Makes it more difficult to read on the loo though!!!!
    Matthew
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast