Overlanding in a Pajero Sport

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Overlanding in a Pajero Sport

Hi,

I intend travelling through Botswana for 10 days at the end of the month.
    I would like to know if anyone with a Pajero Sport has done any serious overlanding, ad would like to hear what recoomendations and advice you would have with respect tyres, suspension, accessories, equipment, fridge/freezers, battery packs, etc. Especially any advice on how all this gera must get packed and secured...

Thanks in advance

2009 Pajero Sport (107 000km)
    Will fit Frontrunner roof rack and auxiliary tank
    Bridgestone AT (with what do I replace them?)

Hi Mike

I dont know if this applies to you, but it did to me........ I have no kids.

So the first thing I did when I got my Sport was to remove the jump seats and replace them with a deck, made with a steel frame with carpeted wood on top. these wooden decks can open to reveal some nice extra storage space.

I have a frontrunner rack!

Then with the prospect of my 20 day trip looming, I decided there was still not enough space, so I removed the 60 seat, and again replaced it with a steel frame and wood decking. In this part of the decking are tie down rings for the NL fridge and NL battery pack.

I'll post a couple of pics shortly.

Jason

Here are the pics. The first 2 are the intial job of removing the jump seats. The rest are the removal of the 60 seat.

I also had a lockbox fitted under the deck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20110911-00151.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	141827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20110911-00152.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	141828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120406-00099.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	141829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120406-00101.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	141830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120406-00102.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	141831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120406-00103.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	141832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120406-00104.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	141833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120406-00105.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	141834  

Hi Mike,

The biggest limitation to overlanding with the PS is the fuel tank size but I see you're planning on putting in an auxillary tank which will sort that problem out. A FR roofrack with a few jerry cans will also help so think you are sorted there.

I have found the suspension on the Sport to be up to the task so haven't fiddled with anything there and unless you're planning on doing some serious offroad work (which I don't think overlanding qualifies as?) the standard setup should be fine.

I have a National Luna battery pack that runs my 45l fridge/freezer and this fits nicely in the boot area. I had an auto electrician install cable from the battery with an in-line fuse to the back that supplies the NL box. I also carpeted a 16mm piece of plywood with tie down hooks and this bolts into the back floor where the factory fitted tie down hooks are normally located. Its not as secure as I would like it as in a major impact it might break free but it does stop things from sliding around.

I also have a small 12V to 220V inverter that I use only to charge camera batteries etc and this can plug straight into the cigarette lighter sockets.

Tyres are a difficult one as there are a million opinions out there. I have run BFG All Terrains on my last four vehicles and have never had a puncture or the chipping problem that some seem to have. But then again my vehicle does 90% of its mileage on the tar so maybe that is the difference? Goodyear ATSA's, Hancook Dynapro AT's, Pirelli Scorpion AT's, Bridgestone Dueler AT's are all good tyres so shop around for the best price.

Good recovery points might be necessary as well but the factory fitted ones are ok for recoveries not requiring a snatch.

Hope this helps - don't think you really need to do much to make it an awesome overlander!

Regards,
    Jason
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

Hi tyrant, I have grandkids, so the seats can't go. Also, I certainly don't have the skills and workmanship that you have: those are some stunning mods you have done. But you have pointed out some things that I need to take cognisance of...like how to tie down everything in the boot. Thanks...cheers
    Regards,
    Mike

Haha you flatter me!

Thats LA Sports handy work

Jason

Thanks Koppycat, I appreciate the answer. As per tyrant above I obviously have a problem tieing stuff down. Is there any aftermarket equipment that can easily be installed that can assist in the tieing down of fridge/freezers, inverters etc. I definitely don't have the time or skills in the carpet-covering field....
    Regards,
    Mike

Hi Mike,

Find an auto electrician to provide power to the back of your boot and I would recommend a National Luna battery box as its easy to fit and remove. Find a local carpenter to measure and cut some board that can fit in the back and get him to install some tie down hooks, carpeting is just a nice touch. The whole thing took me a few hours with a jig saw and some tools!

Go to Outdoor Warehouse or Makro and buy yourself a small inverter (500W or less) that can run off your factory auxillary power points.

Alternatively, whoever fits your roofrack and aux tank could do it all for you...?

Jason

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk

Hi tyrant,
    Are the removal of the seats a permanent thing in your case?

Regards,

Mikew

Hi Koppycat,

Did you also do the seats removal thing as per tyrant?

Regards,

Mike

Mike

My setup is totally interchangable. The frames are mounted to the same points the seats were mounted to. No extra holes were drilled at all.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Which LA Sports branch did this for you? How long did it take? At what cost (estimate is fine)? Who should I speak to there?

Regards,

Mikew

Hi Mike, no I didn't remove the seats. My carpeted board sits on top of the seats in the floor.

It was LA Sport Pretoria East.

Mine was done in 2 stages, took a day each, so look at 2 days. Cost..... you probably looking close on 4k.

They've done all the work on my sport, roof rack, my custom mods etc.

Speak to Tiaan, very helpful, used to work for frontrunner.

Jason

Hi. Also have a Pajero Sport and thinking along the same lines.What about additional spare tyre ? Roofrack vs Rear Mounting (which is expensive) as best option.

Hey Schoemie, I'm in the process of building a spare wheel carrier for the back of my Sport (pics to follow in a few weeks - my camping trailer mods are first in line!). This will take a spare wheel and two jerry cans or two wheels. I'm quite chuffed with the progress so far and I'll be happy to offer the build plans to the forum. I wanted to do this because by fitting an auxillary tank the spare wheel drops quite low so I wanted the option to store it elsewhere.

Considering how seldom a second spare comes into play though another option is to store it on the roofrack..?

Default Re: Overlanding in a Pajero Sport

Hi Tyrant

Love this - so glad I checked on this forum before embarking on this journey. I have quite the same idea. Few questions:
    1. Did you not remove the Luggage floor box at the rear of the car? And why not? I was thinking of removing this as well and then hopefully be able to have an even lower false floor.
    2. I don't think I want to remove my 60/40 seats, but rather have a setup of a foldable or retractable false floor that could move into place when I put the 60 up. Anyone done something like this?
    3. Why did you use steel for your false floor frame? Strength vs weight compared to aluminium not an issue?
    4. On the 1st pic there is a device sticking out on the right - what is this?

Hi Tyrant , i have just also bought my Sport and have the same ideas as the other guys.Mine are as follows:[/LIST]Remove the last row of seats as well as the deck.[/LIST]False bottom to cover back deck .[/LIST]Removable false bottom for 40 part split to use when needed for extra freezer 40lt N/L .
    I do not want to drill in the body here.
    Slide on deck with cover and draws next to this with pullout work space under draws.
    Extra Battery + solar invertar in Engine bay , with cabling to rear of my vehicle.
    Tyre's - Firestone Destinations AT , because of guarentee and price .
    Your work looks very good and neat .
    The spare wheel carrier is a must for the second wheel , got cought out once in the middle of no ware.
    Please keep your photos coming.

Tyrant now drives an Amarok..

Quote Originally Posted by Koppycat View Post
    Hey Schoemie, I'm in the process of building a spare wheel carrier for the back of my Sport (pics to follow in a few weeks - my camping trailer mods are first in line!). This will take a spare wheel and two jerry cans or two wheels. I'm quite chuffed with the progress so far and I'll be happy to offer the build plans to the forum. I wanted to do this because by fitting an auxillary tank the spare wheel drops quite low so I wanted the option to store it elsewhere.

Considering how seldom a second spare comes into play though another option is to store it on the roofrack..?

Hey Koppycat. I want I want those plans pahleese!!
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast