Long term Jimny owner review

Default Long term Jimny owner review

Hey all

After I finally entered all my fuel consumption figures yesterday, I thought I might as well go all out and post a full length owner review on my site - anyone interested have a look at http://www.greenlimabeans.com/2012/0...er-review.html

Comments here or there, especially long-term owner's pluses and minuses would be hugely appreciate, as I'd like to turn this into a published article if possible.

It may also be useful for those, like me, that liked the idea, but weren't sure if this was the car for them.

D

Great review, Donovan - thanks for sharing.

It's a pleasure, and thank you. I'm getting a few hundred page views a day, mostly via Reddit.com, so it seems there were quite a few people interested.

If anyone feels it could be more accurate, or is missing any crucial points, feel free to comment and I'll update accordingly.

Hi Donovan - really great article. You really should get it published, it needs to be read by people like me who have big 4x4's and think that you cannot be a true overlander without a big 4x4.

I would love to own a Jimny, it would force me to get rid of all those camping 'necessities' that I have bought over the years! I think that owning a Jimny must force you to get back to the pure and simple pleasure of camping without lugging along all the cr1p that the rest of us do... My eldest son can drive now, maybe I should get rid of the fortuner and buy two Jimny's - cheaper than 1 x Fortuner...
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Hi Donovan

I bought my Jimny last year September. So far I have racked up mostly JHB city miles, traveling on the M1 and Sandton areas. Have done a long distance trip to the western cape as well.

Next trip is in two weeks where I will be going on a fishing holiday to the Skeleton Coast park in Namibia.

I absolutely love my Jimny! It is an amazing car. For me and my wife it is perfect. There is plenty of space for all my toys. Bikes on the roof or fishing rods and tackle boxes or big hiking bags and gear. The little giant takes me wherever I want to go!

My stress levels here in JHB traffic has also been strangly (but wonderfully) reduced. I traded in my Opel Corsa 1.8i Club bakkie in for the Jimny. There has not been a second that I have regreted it. The Jimny gently forced my to slow down - not in speed but in haste. I take it easier on the roads now which is way more relaxed. Weirdly I find myself in less tricky spots where other motorist with more powerfull vehicles tends to get themselves into situations that may end up in a crash.

If something were to happen to my Jimny (heaven forbid) - I WILL buy another one!!!
    Herman Lourens

2011 Suzuki Jimny
    - Goodyear AT/SA Tyres
    - Thule Roofrack

2014 Jurgens BT547

4x4AG0202

Hi, great review. I was also interested in the Jimny. Sadly/happily the family has grown and it is just to small for 5 people. It is however a fantastic vehicle.

I Do not have a Jimny yet, but I read all articles related to the Jimny and this is by far the best. hopefully I will be getting one before this year is dead!

Hi Donovan,
    Thanks for the honest and beautifully written piece. Having grown up in Natal Parks Board reserves in the midlands and coastal Zululand, I can emphathize with the driving experience. I'm also a seasoned instructor having done the full Teta thang. I have recently bought a new Jimny after much indepth research and even more gut instinct. I haven't been disappointed. In fact I am positively delighted with the little Blighter , or Dave as it's become to be known.

Being a second year conservation Nd student myself I can proudly say I am treading lightly. At little more than 1069 kg's it is hardly heavy. Subsequently it scampers through obstacles and through biomes hardly breaking a sweat and on the sniff of an oil rag. The offroad DNA does it for me with robust ladder frame chassis, coil spry g long travel suspension, and pukka low range transfer box. This is the real deal! We have conquered Sani Pass, Bivane Trail, Jacobs traffic and other city mayhem. It turns on a tiekie and climbs like a mountaingoat! Sani Pass was a doddle. The jawdropping spectacle of a 2 handed wave from a naked Mosotho under the blanket was enought to sear the Black Mountain Pass experience into our cerebral Cortex engraving for ever. In short- it's as much of an icon as a Jeep wrangler,

Great article, I love this car!
    2013 Suzuki Jimny

Thank you for the excellent piece about the Jimny.... We have had our jimny for a year and two months now and its always a pleasure to drive. Unfortunately we have also now found out that it doesn't work well as a canoe or a submarine (water leaks in everywhere). But still love our little vehicle to bits.
    Creeper 1.0 2012

50mm EFS Lift en 'n staal pakkie vir beskerming

Brilliant, totally truthful article ... I cannot understand why there are not more of these awesome 4x4's around

I say ... "Long live the Jimny!!!"