KLEINS GATE - Serengeti

Default KLEINS GATE - Serengeti

Does anyone know if you can EXIT the Serengeti at Kleins Gate and what the eco route track is like from here down to Lake Natron & then to Arusha - doing this in June/July - thanks any info gratefully received.
    Paul & Lin - Adventure before Dementia
    The Lostshepards
    2007 Cruiser 100 VX TD
    2015 Lexus RX 350
    www.lostshepard.co.za
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...AtZTRrdmczVG9R

No personal experience I'm afraid but our map (Giovanni Tombazi - 2010 update) categorises the road from Kleins to Natron as a "bad track" and gives an estimate of 7 hours to Lake Natron.

I can't imagine there'd be a problem with exiting there.

I do recall reading on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum that someone traveling to Lake Natron had a bad experience in the area earlier this year with some unexpected fees. The link to the whole thread is here.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=2166340

May be a good idea to try and get some clarity on the relevant charges before you're there.

Thanks I had a mail from someone saying they they had been fairly hacked of by all the "charges" at the various gates - and the journey was not worth the money - we thought it might be nice to exit Serengeti this way and come down the escarpment & visit lake natron. There is evidence of signs that the fee is $15 pp plus car etc - the real question I suppose will be is it worth it. Leaving Natron our plan was to go to Lake Manyara and only then go into the NCA. Any further comments on this proposal ? tnx paul & Lin
    The Lostshepards
    2007 Cruiser 100 VX TD
    2015 Lexus RX 350
    www.lostshepard.co.za

Sorry haven't traveled that route myself so can't really add much except to say that if it were me I'd try and get some clarity on what the fees are supposed to be - especially for the car. I heard it was $15, $10 and $10 pp at each gate respectively which is one thing but $150 for the car as well might make the journey not worth it.

I don't know what your plans are for the crater/NCA but we felt if was better "value" to spend $600 on 48 hours (so we could be in the crater for 12 hours and especially early morning and late afternoon) rather than $400 for 24 hours and missing out either early morning or late afternoon in the crater to make the gate. We entered from Karatu side at 4pm, stayed at Simba, went into the crater 6am - 6pm then spent most of the next day out Ndutu way before going on into the Serengeti. But if you are going back out to Karatu it will be different for you.

Whatever your plans are think really carefully about the gate entry and exit times to get the best from your money. As you probably know many people, (tour operators included) wait for a few hours in the car park between Serengeti/NCA to get their timings right. You may want to consider special campsites as opposed to the public ones if they suit where you want to be of an evening.

Thank you I saw your report about NCA - very valuable info and the $600 option is obviously the better one; also thanks for the headsup on the all important timing plus wilderness campsites - no facilities beats hands down crowded public ones :-)
    The Lostshepards
    2007 Cruiser 100 VX TD
    2015 Lexus RX 350
    www.lostshepard.co.za

Check the security situation before doing Natron as there have been a few nasty incidents in the area.

Realistically how do you check ? we will be entering Serengeti from the western side so Mwanza is the only large town before entering Serengeti - would the tourist info there be reliable do you think ?

Have already sent an email to the Tanzanian Tourist assoc but not received any response - tnx
    The Lostshepards
    2007 Cruiser 100 VX TD
    2015 Lexus RX 350
    www.lostshepard.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Lostshepard View Post
    Realistically how do you check ? we will be entering Serengeti from the western side so Mwanza is the only large town before entering Serengeti - would the tourist info there be reliable do you think ?
    Have already sent an email to the Tanzanian Tourist assoc but not received any response - tnx
    Check news updates under Tanzania on www.allafrica.com and ask around the operators at Seronera. it's a rough route so try and travel in tandem. Apologies for terse reply, operating on cell phone in the bush.

Thank you very much - no worries - you should be ENJOYING the bush :-)
    The Lostshepards
    2007 Cruiser 100 VX TD
    2015 Lexus RX 350
    www.lostshepard.co.za

Last chance - Ask at Klein's Gate and there are a couple villages, if memory serves, with Police posts. I went this way in 2000, and I would do it again. Although there are the talcum powder(dirt) tracks, between Natron and Mto wa Mbu, that came through every pinhole in the landy, and made that section miserable. But controllable with AC.

I am inclined to do the route - we will be two l/cruisers but I guess we'll just have to ask nearer the time when actually in the country ! Thanks Paul
    The Lostshepards
    2007 Cruiser 100 VX TD
    2015 Lexus RX 350
    www.lostshepard.co.za

We did the exact track in 2005. Spend the night at Speke Bay on Lake Vic, entered Serengeti at the West Gate at app 11h00. Camped the night at Pimbi campsite close to Seronera. Went north and excited before 11h00 at Kleins Gate to avoid paying the mad Tanzanian fees. Bushcamped on the spectacular route and camped the next night at Moivaro Campsite just south of Lake Natron under the same tree Voetspore later camped under. From there it was plain sailing to Panorama Campsite on the way to Ngoro Goro Crater. We had to pay a Toll fee close to the end of the Lake Natron Eco trail of app. $20 but that was all.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2012/04/12 at 12:14 PM.