Seeking Route in NC and Namaqua

Default Seeking Route in NC and Namaqua

Me and Liefie are trying to plan a trip for about 4-5 days into the Northern Cape, thinking the wildflowers might be out, thinking of going into Namaqua area, Garries, Springbok etc....but also want to spend a day/night in Niewoudstville. Leaving frome Cape Town, Brackenfell, anybody done trips like these? Kaalvoet of kaalbas in die daisies you know..

Good places bad places? Trying to spend every night in different town. Any suggestions welcome and greatly Appreciated.

thanks
    Wouter

W. Smith
    2006 LandCruiser 105 4500 EFI

Why don't you do the Namakwa 4x4 route, the full route is about 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by amaDisco View Post
    Why don't you do the Namakwa 4x4 route, the full route is about 5 days.
    Will eventually some day, but want to travel through a few towns and sleep over in different places. Unless the route travels through couple of towns?

W. Smith

Wouter.

There's an article in the latest Go! you might want to look at which is quite useful. Try stay in Loeriesfontein, and on the way take in the Kokerboom Forest on the way from Nieuwoudtville. The then up to Kamieskroon, across to Hondeklip Bay and down.

Planned carefully you can easily do a 5 day trip and very little will be on tar...

If you have Mapsource I can send you a tracklog and a few bit's and pieces
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Wouter.

There's an article in the latest Go! you might want to look at which is quite useful. Try stay in Loeriesfontein, and on the way take in the Kokerboom Forest on the way from Nieuwoudtville. The then up to Kamieskroon, across to Hondeklip Bay and down.

Planned carefully you can easily do a 5 day trip and very little will be on tar...

If you have Mapsource I can send you a tracklog and a few bit's and pieces
    Yes please, groot asseblief! I do have mapsource, send me what you can! Greatly Appreciated Simon, exactly what Im looking for!!! Have I said this forum and the people on here are great?!?! Well hell YEAH!!

W. Smith

Does anyone know what the flowers are like this year. I was in Springbok a few weeks ago and there was water in the Buffels River, so things are promising. We are planning to spend most of the first two weeks of August in Namibia with family and were wondering when would be the best time to go through Namaqualand. On the way up at the beginning of August or on the way back in the middle?

The other way will have to be the long boring road through Botswana.
    '97 Disco Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by henkc View Post
    Does anyone know what the flowers are like this year. I was in Springbok a few weeks ago and there was water in the Buffels River, so things are promising. We are planning to spend most of the first two weeks of August in Namibia with family and were wondering when would be the best time to go through Namaqualand. On the way up at the beginning of August or on the way back in the middle?

Henk..

From the hundred and ten websites I went through before I got my answer on here for a route, most of them suggested late August.

W. Smith

I'd be inclined to start off in Namaqualand.... The optimum flower times get later as you move further south.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by Kaalvoet View Post
    Henk..

From the hundred and ten websites I went through before I got my answer on here for a route, most of them suggested late August.
    I'd be inclined to start off in Namaqualand.... The optimum flower times get later as you move further south.
    Now I'm even more confused. Exact dates would be the first or the third weekends in August. This is really a stop and a day on the way too or from Windhoek, so too far south will add a lot of travelling time to the trip back.

One other thing. This trip is being planned late. What accomodation is likely to be available.
    '97 Disco Tdi

Now I'm even more confused. Exact dates would be the first or the third weekends in August. This is really a stop and a day on the way too or from Windhoek, so too far south will add a lot of travelling time to the trip back.
    In that case I would probably counter my previous statement and make the stop on your way FROM Windhoek...

Remember a lot depends on the exact rains, and it's not just a matter of how much rain, but the pattern of that rainfall. They're also shrewd little buggers and they hide half the time If you hit them on a cloudy day, you're gonna think my advise stinks...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

If you hit them on a cloudy day, you're gonna think my advise stinks...
    That's a t-shirt I already have
    '97 Disco Tdi

Kaalvoet

If you have not done it yet: Take N7 to Clanwilliam, then go over Pakhuis Pass to Nieuwoudtville. Check Papkuilsfontein (Van Wyks) on web, they have a 4x4 route as well. Next day to Garies caravan park, take drive out to Groenriviermond and back on one day, next day to Hondeklip Bay, Koingnaas and on to Kamieskroon. Try stay two days in Verbe Caravan park, take drives to east (Leliefontein) and to north (Springbok, Messelklip Pass). Should take care of your 5 days!

My feeling is that if it does not rain much soon, flowers will be best middle August. BTW, I hope you still find camping sites - I think other accommo may be full by now.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Now see, thats what I call answering a question!!! Damn! hehehe...thanks Quarzazate! That sounds exactly like the type of trip I had in mind, thanks again, greatly appreciate it! Will post photo's when I get back!!!

W. Smith

In that case I would probably counter my previous statement and make the stop on your way FROM Windhoek...

Remember a lot depends on the exact rains, and it's not just a matter of how much rain, but the pattern of that rainfall. They're also shrewd little buggers and they hide half the time If you hit them on a cloudy day, you're gonna think my advise stinks...
    Also, if you're driving east in the morning you might think there's not much to see, but it would be because the flowers are all still facing the other way...