Defender 300Tdi engine Failed

Default 300Tdi engine Failed

Decided to spend the day with Swambo and kids at Kungwini, but just after the Boshkop off ramp on the N4 towards Bronkhorstspruit, the Landy just died. It made a horrifying rattling sound, engine immediately stopped and the “Little Black Box” started beeping, temp was fine with no warning lights. Pushed the clutch in and stopped on the grass next to the N4.

Opened the bonnet and removed the oil cap, a steam-like white smoke came out but the engine didn’t feel excessively hot. Oil and water levels is fine, all belts and hoses 100%. Tried to start but no luck, starter just grinds some gears but the motor doesn’t turn at all.

2 hours and R850 later we are back in Centurion.

Any advice on where to start checking and what to look for?
    Serviced 2000km ago, 306000km on the clock. Engine was rebuild on 270 000km.
    AMAROK 2.0 BiTDi HIGHLINE 120KW 4MOT D/C P/U Manual

I'd start with the timing chain or belt..

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I'd start with the timing chain or belt..
    Snap! Alex. My first thought is the cambelt. The only thing that bothers me is that would have been renewed with the engine overhaul.

Take Care
    Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)

Haha, Peter, I was going on symptoms - Until now I didn't know if it was a belt or a chain!

Maybe not new/ over tensioned/ idler pulley or tensioner bearing seized.. Might even be just the injection timing that's slipped a tooth or something like that...

But it's a fair bet it's timing related. Hopefully no major damage ...

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Haha, Peter, I was going on symptoms - Until now I didn't know if it was a belt or a chain!

Maybe not new/ over tensioned/ idler pulley or tensioner bearing seized.. Might even be just the injection timing that's slipped a tooth or something like that...

But it's a fair bet it's timing related. Hopefully no major damage ...
    Hi BMT

sounds like the cambelt snapped. This has to be changed every 60'000km. I would take the rig to Landyonline (Muldersdrift) or to Landyworx (Randburg).

The vehicle will need:

1 X New Cambelt plus all idler pulleys

1 X New pushrod

1 X New rocker

When the cambelt snaps, it normally damages one pushrod and one rocker arm.

There will be no damage to pistons or valves. That is why I like the Tdi. You can fix it in the field.

While you are doing this job, have a new (OE) water pump fitted. Also change the Poly-V belts and the tensioner pulleys.

It is not a big job, but the cam and pump timing is critical. Brian Cotton of Landyonline sets the pump timing dynamic with a Snap-On tool. This is done VERY accurate. My belt is due for renewal in 15'000km and the pump timing is still 100%. ( you will immediately feel it when it is out due to lack of power.)

Good luck!
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Checked the pushrod's and rockers, all fine, removed sump and found that the crank shaft has broken at no4. will continue to strip the motor today to try and establish what could have been the cause.

now to find a crankshaft any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by BMT View Post
    Checked the pushrod's and rockers, all fine, removed sump and found that the crank shaft has broken at no4. will continue to strip the motor today to try and establish what could have been the cause.

now to find a crankshaft any ideas?
    Hi BMT

speak to Peter (TGWInduna) at Landyworx, they had a similar case about two months ago. I am sure he can give you some pointers on that one.

Once you get the new crank, have the journals polished if they check out ok for size and then have the crank assembly with vibration damper (front) and flywheel balanced. This increases redundancy and the bearings will last that much longer, provided the lubrication side is ok. I would also fit a new oil pump.

A crank you can get from British 4x4 they got quite a few 300Tdi motors.

Good luck!
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

sjoe, broken crank...sounds serious... I'm leaning towards a tdi, but maybe I should keep my 2.8...

good luck, hopefully it wont cost you too much..
    D90
    D130

Broken crank is not at all common for the 300tdi so I would like to know the reason.

Default Update

The motor was stripped completely with no other damage at all, just the broken crankshaft. Talked to a few people about this and the following were given as possible causes:

· Crank was dropped previously
    · Metal fatigue
    · Main bearings not properly tighten

Well the “new” 2nd hand crank is polished and ready, just waiting for bearings and some gasket sets.

Got the Landy back, motor was stripped completely to assess any damage, turned out to be only the crank and some bearings. Replaced all parts that showed some wear and tear including the turbo and clutch.

Injectors tested and it seems that the 30 000km they have done from new with 2s0 paid off as they are still brand new.

Took it for a 300km test drive yesterday and noticed a lack of power at the slightest inclines. Checked the hoses between turbo and intercooler and noticed some oil in the pipes from the new turbo. Surely a new turbo should have no oil leaks Also not sure if the boost is at 1bar but I’m planning to have the diesel pump and turbo checked, not sure where Any suggestions for Centurion area? Intercooler and hoses were properly cleaned during rebuild.

Hi BMT

If your landy pulled OK before the fix then I would not put the lack of power down to turbo or injectoer pump as surely those were not fiddled with. It could well be that the cambelt was not put back 100% correctly.....timing out by some degrees or even one tooth out is also possible. I would get that checked out by a landy indy before doing anything else. So by the way, there will always be some oil in the turbo to intercooler pipes.
    All of the best.

Let Landyworx have a look, my 300tdi did the same, lack of power on inclines after the timing belt was replaced, Walter replaced it, ran like a steamtrain there-after.