Advice on Buying

Arrow Advice on Buying

Hi all, well I'm new here and thought it will be best to come and ask here.
    I am looking at buying either a Ford or Mazda, bakkie. But cant decide on which to buy. I am married no kids yet but hopefully soon.
    I can get a Ford Ranger 2007 2.5 tdi XLT D/C 4x4 with 135000km's on for R125000(got canopy,side steps, b/bar, t/bar)
    Will it be worth it, it is not the face lifted model as I would like to have, or should I hang on a bit and get the face lifted model. Are there any problems with the mentioned model?
    The other thing was, will it be wort it to get a supercab or not, it's only my wife and me at this stage and when a little one comes will we be able to put a "couch type" in the back to put the baby seat on(hope you follow what I mean)?
    If a bakkie was very well looked after with a FSH and it has for instance 150000km's on would you say its worth buying or rather not as I see most of the hold their prices quite well?

Hazelbag, the 2007 model you are looking at is well priced at between Trade and Retail. I would go for it as it is a 4x4 as well. With the extras on, one could sell it for about R139999.The problem with the supercab is that time will come when you want to go somewhere and there is more than just the 2 of you and then what?For the same consumption as a supercab, I would rather go for doublecab.Brilliant bakkies though just a pitty this one youre looking at has not run in on that mileage yet!

Hi Hazelbag

I bought myself a 4x4 Supercab last month, 3.0 TDCi! 2010 Model!

Im in the same situation as you, married, no kids (yet, or for the next few years). So the Supercab made sense, its also my business vehicle which means VAT is deductable! I have seen a supercab with seats and seatbelts in the back, but as far as i have heard, you are not allowed to carry passengers in the back. Although im sure if you install all the seatbelts and fittings as per a normal passenger vehicle you will fit the baby seat in! (not advised though). You could probaby save a few rants with a supercab with similar mileage! I do agree with disturbia on the prcing!

I love my ranger! The 3.0 just has a little more grunt that the 2.5, but i wanted that so we could tow horsboxes out here!
    2010 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi 4x4 - Me
    - Iron Man Suspension
    - Velocity Raptor A/T Tyres
    - LED Spot Lights

2005 VW Polo 1.9Tdi Sportline - SWAMBO

Thanks for the reply's disturbia what do you mean by "just a pitty this one youre looking at has not run in on that mileage yet!"?

So you guys would say its a good buy? How long can one drive these cars if you keep the services up to date and so on?

I have the 2004 D/cab, also had a Supercab but the D/C is just nicer because there are always friends riding with, etc. Mine has 200 000km on, still looks good and goes great. Not the lightest vehicle on fuel, but I'm happy. They have a problem with the gearbox, had mine done 2000km ago. Not sure when the shape changed.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol and it was the worst 20 minutes of my life. George Best"