Richtersveld - some pics

Default Richtersveld - some pics

Most enjoyable....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0130.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	6334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0149.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	6335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0169.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	6336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0247.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	6337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0322.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	6338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0355.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	6339  

Man, I think I want to go back

Little dryer then when I was there in August...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Simon when is the best time to go Im thinking in going there say in feb march 2008 and ask some forum guys to make a party
    2003 COLT RODEO 2.8TDI BRACKENFELL CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA 1300 Tazz vir Liewe Heksie

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Simon when is the best time to go Im thinking in going there say in feb march 2008 and ask some forum guys to make a party
    Kenny

I would sau August/September because the flowers on the way up, and in the park will be generally pretty good. Also the temperatures are not too cold or hot... Feb might be a little warm still, but March would be good to see what it looks like the way it's supposed to!

My pics here to see what it looks like after the wet...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Kenny

I would sau August/September because the flowers on the way up, and in the park will be generally pretty good. Also the temperatures are not too cold or hot... Feb might be a little warm still, but March would be good to see what it looks like the way it's supposed to!

My pics here to see what it looks like after the wet...
    Simon, looking at your pics, see you did the shipwreck trail, pic of your bakkie next to the "Border", what were your impressions of the trail..
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    see you did the shipwreck trail, pic of your bakkie next to the "Border", what were your impressions of the trail..
    I didn't do the Shipwreck trail unfortunately.. we just stayed at Hondeklip Bay and then took the road skirting the diamond area on the way to Port Nolloth before we went into the Richtersveld
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

OK, so you just pulled of the road and went down, because I did the trail last Sunday and the wreck where you are at is the last of 3 wrecks that are on the trail. Did you manage to get through from Kooingnaas(SP) with out a permit or did you get one before hand...
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    OK, so you just pulled of the road and went down, because I did the trail last Sunday and the wreck where you are at is the last of 3 wrecks that are on the trail. Did you manage to get through from Kooingnaas(SP) with out a permit or did you get one before hand...
    That's the wreck just outside Hondeklip (about 3 kays). No we didn't go INTO diamond territory, just skirted it...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Thumbs up Simon

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    That's the wreck just outside Hondeklip (about 3 kays). No we didn't go INTO diamond territory, just skirted it...
    Hi Simon,
    Just checked all your pictures out as well - they are awesome - you must have had a brilliant trip. Wont you be so kind to describe the route you took and especially mention where you stayed over / camped and what you would suggest to get the best out of the trip to the Richterveld and back. I haven't checked out all the threads so if this has been mentioned, plse refer me there.

Toyota
    Fortuner 3 D-4D 4X4

Never trust your tongue when you are bitter.

Default Simon

Hi Simon, is it possible if you can provide the info on the post below.
    Johan sent me a PM as he is also interested in the route you followed.

Toyota
    Fortuner 3 D-4D 4X4

Never trust your tongue when you are bitter.

Some awesome pics Mr Simon
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Yes - Very good pictures Simon. I see that your profile on Fotki says no children. If I am not mistaken you have one on the way or had one recently?
    How are you enjoying the Pajero so far?

CATs
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Was there in April and would realy like to go back there again. We were only there for 3 days, which was to short to see that whole area. Was extremly dry and very hot, but I think that is the way it is supposed to be.

Drove from CT straight to Potjiespram, then to De Hoop. Whwn we came out we went to the Orange River Mouth (wish you could camp there, all that drift wood would make a great fire) and then stayed in Port Noloth for a night. Theres a great restaurant next to the harbour, cant remember when last I ate so much or such lekker food. From there we went to Augrabies and through the karoo, New betesda, Tsitsikama and back to Cape town.

I am planning to go there in DECEMBER !!! Madness I am sure but we are going anyway. We will then head up through Namibia towards Swakkopmund and back through Botswanna to Gauteng

On this point - Simon are you sure the area that you drove is technically part of the Richtersveld? I always thought that the area was called the Bokkeveld or something to that effect and that Richtersveld is from Sendelingsdrift eastwards on both sides of the Orange river? Don't shoot me if I'm wrong I never did well in Geography.

CATs
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    On this point - Simon are you sure the area that you drove is technically part of the Richtersveld? I always thought that the area was called the Bokkeveld or something to that effect and that Richtersveld is from Sendelingsdrift eastwards on both sides of the Orange river? Don't shoot me if I'm wrong I never did well in Geography.
    I'm confused I was IN the Richtersveld Park... Potjiespram, De Hoop, Tatasberg etc etc...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

I can answer most of the questions in this thread.

We've just come back from a three week trip that started in the Biedouw Valley and then up the West Coast from Skaapvlei to Hondeklip Baai, we stayed at the Hout Houp for three nights and did the Shipwreck Trail and the Strandveld Trail, from there up to the Rightersveld for 6 nights which was just long enough to see everything and find the graves of the Avenant children in the park I have been looking for for 4 years.

I can say that late August is a very good time to go to the park as it was full of colour, absolutely amazing with flowers everywhere and quite empty as it was not school holidays.

In fact the entire area was in bloom, all the way from Biedouw. The flowers in Biedouw were absolutely exceptional this year.

The Shipwreck and Strandveld trails are not challenging trails by any means but one does get to play in the dunes on the Strandveld part. They are however both very interessting and the local guide, Floors, is very knowledgeable on his history and especially the plants. We also saw quite a bit of game.

You don't really need permits as you can get to the Houthoop from Komagaas on the "private" mine road and then Floors will fetch you there for both trips. You might need fuel however and then you will need permits to visit Kleinzee or Koingaas.

GM

Simon

Sorry man - I mean the part that you described in your first mail close to Hondeklipbaai and on to Port Nolloth. What does one call this part or is it part of Richtersveld, although outside the actual park?

CATs
    2003 Safari Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    Sorry man - I mean the part that you described in your first mail close to Hondeklipbaai and on to Port Nolloth. What does one call this part or is it part of Richtersveld, although outside the actual park?
    Oh OK... If you look at it biologically there's really no such thing as the Richtersveld, and it is just a part of the Succulant Karoo Biome which extends from Lamberts Bay to just north of Luderitz and then on average about 200km east of that, so the eastern side of the park is on the eastern edge of the Succulant Karoo Biome. Going further eastwards your looking at the Nama Karoo.

As a World Heritage site its defined as the 160000ha with the park as it's northenmost point, with another 348000ha as a buffer zone - so it defines a pretty big area.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum