Page 615 of 615 FirstFirst ... 115 365 515 565 590 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615
Results 12,281 to 12,295 of 12295

Default Re: Bush lapa miskruier review

Decision, decisions, decisions. We own BL1715, a Baobab aka “Kamba”. When COVID hit we were 9 months into a 3-year extended safari. We lived in Kamba, our intention was to bring it back to Australia at the end of our travels. When COVID hit we returned to Australia. A health issue and the Aussie restriction on citizens’ travel mean that we are here for an indeterminate period of time, latest estimates say we won’t get back to Africa until at best mid-2022 and possibly even mid-2023. Retirement years are marching past us and rather than sitting idle we need to take action.

We discovered that an Aussie agent has a new Miskruier, known locally as a “Hopper 4”. Long story short we have paid a holding deposit, we need to make a decision by Monday next week as to whether to buy or not, we are 99% certain that we will go ahead. That means we will return to Africa once we can but at the end of our time we will make some adjustments to Kamba, she was made to Aussie specs, and sell Kamba in South Africa.

1. Why shouldn’t we do this, are we mad?
    2. The only mods on Hopper 4 (Miskruier) that affect this query are that the rims/tyres have been upgraded to 17” and there is a 160w solar panel fitted. Does anyone have a similar setup? Our underground parking spot has an entry limit of 2100mm, the standard height of the Miskruier including bush wing is quoted at +/-2050mm. I could use space saver rims if height is an issue but if it is only a few millimetres I hope I could get by with releasing some air from the tyres. Anyone able to advise?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Actually, there are some factors I failed to mention, full disclosure;

1. The sea freight cost of getting the Baobab to Australia has, I believe almost trebled since we started this journey 2 years ago. This, I am told, is as a result of Covid, freight MAY return to previous levels again one day in the future but there are no guarantees on this.
    2. Before we can bring Kamba into Australia duty-free, we have to live out of Australia and own the van for 12 months, we had done 10 months before Covid hit, from my investigations the clock goes back to zero and we have to do a further 12 months.
    3. Kamba is about 15cms too high to get into our parking, letting down tyres won’t work, I’ll have to change to space saver wheels when storing and change back to road tyres when going on a trip. Although this is a relatively quick exercise, I fear it will become a chore especially for short trips away.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

What a temptation!

From experience with our garage which was build a few mm lower than standard spec, I can tell you that letting air out of the tyres had minimal effect and it is a pain deluxe. And we don't even have a solar panel on the roof. Our driveway approach to the garage is at a slight upwards angle which amplified the problem. If your approach is level it may just work.

Can you not replace the 17 inch rims with 16 inch?
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    What a temptation!

From experience with our garage which was build a few mm lower than standard spec, I can tell you that letting air out of the tyres had minimal effect and it is a pain deluxe. And we don't even have a solar panel on the roof. Our driveway approach to the garage is at a slight upwards angle which amplified the problem. If your approach is level it may just work.

Can you not replace the 17 inch rims with 16 inch?
    Thanks Christa, yes the temptation is very high, I don't think we will be able to say no.

The entrance to our underground parking is very steep and there is a "measure beam", one of those beams set at 2100mm dangling off chains half way down. The actual entrance door is a couple of centimetres higher. Once I'm in there shouldn't be any problems. Added to that one assumes that the BL tows perfectly level which is seldom does, so even if the exact height is 2100mm it is unlikely the whole van will be that height. It appears that it will be very tight. I appreciate that the inflating/deflating will be a pain in the butt, however with an indeflate it is quite quick, better than changing to space savers.

The standard rims are 16", the available model has been upgraded to 17". This may work although the 265/64R17 tyres fitted are exactly the same size as our Prado so I'd change as a last resort. Thanks for the advice, food for thought.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Default Re: Bush Lapa Miskruier review

Letting air out will drop the van down quite a lot. Measure the side wall of your tyre, you can drop it that much. Don’t worry about the air pressure. I just pulled the valve core out and let it rip until the rim was almost on the tyre, then rolled the van back 4m and pumped the tyres back up inside the garage. This was in the basement of the apartments we lived in in Ballito on our Companion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Letting air out will drop the van down quite a lot. Measure the side wall of your tyre, you can drop it that much. Don’t worry about the air pressure. I just pulled the valve core out and let it rip until the rim was almost on the tyre, then rolled the van back 4m and pumped the tyres back up inside the garage. This was in the basement of the apartments we lived in in Ballito on our Companion.
    Thanks, yes, we have to be a little careful as there are 3 sharp corners that we need to negotiate and I certainly don't want to debead the tyres, but can probably reduce to get at least an inch. I need to get the van here to see how severe the problem may be, if at all. I'll also ensure that the van is heavily packed and that the water tank is full, this will lower the van a few centimetres ..... I hope
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Just when I thought I had the answers my South African mate threw a spanner in the works. SWAMBO and I are both 60ish and retired wanting to maximise our retirement years whilst health is still good. Mate suggested that we are buying the wrong BL. His advice was to rather look at the Ratel 4i. This has set us thinking and we need to come up with a decision in the next 48 hours. It is either the Miskruier (Hopper 4) or Ratel 4i (Badger 4i). Pros and cons of the Badger/Ratel for our decision are;

Pros
    1. We will spend much time on the road, including at least one Australian “lap”, typically this is 9-12 month trip. Other camping periods will typically be 2-8 weeks.
    2. During inclement weather we can move into the internal “living” area of the Ratel.
    3. Second bed ideal for quick overnight stopovers.
    4. Able to reconfigure Ratel in such a way that simple cooking inside during inclement weather is possible.
    5. Great en suite shower setup without going outside.
    6. Allows almost as good off-road abilities.
    7. Overall improvement in comfort and convenience is massive.

Cons
    1. 6-8 month delivery delay on Ratel, Miskruier available within 1 month.
    2. Ratel may need to be held in storage facility, MAYBE able to use space saver wheels but probably not.
    3. Ratel’s tare is 250kgs higher, 1050mm longer, towing with Prado so no towing problems, but manoeuvring slightly more difficult.
    4. Ratel is additional AUD15k, but long-term investment.

Yes, I think we are leaning towards taking mate’s advice
    Last edited by Tedx2; Yesterday at 03:06 AM.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

I should have mentioned if anyone is tempted to look at the Ratel 4i don’t be put off the information that was previously shown on the Bushlapa website. Until yesterday specs on the 4i said that this version had a length of 5440mm whilst all other Ratels were quoted at 5100mm. I didn’t think this made sense and questioned my mate who assured me that the 4i was also 5100mm. We both called Paarl on Friday and they confirmed the length at 5100mm, they apologised for the error and I notice they immediately corrected the error. The correction of 340mm is critical to our decision. So only 1.05m longer and 250kgs dry (300kgs GVM) heavier than the Miskruier.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Can you perhaps borrow the Miskruier to see if it fits in the basement parking. The length of the Ratel…maybe 4slpr vs 6 slpr, I’ve only seen them once and think the spare wheel location on the back adds the +340mm?
    Jannie
    2017 Hilux GD6 4x4 MT
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheetah For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    I should have mentioned if anyone is tempted to look at the Ratel 4i don’t be put off the information that was previously shown on the Bushlapa website. Until yesterday specs on the 4i said that this version had a length of 5440mm whilst all other Ratels were quoted at 5100mm. I didn’t think this made sense and questioned my mate who assured me that the 4i was also 5100mm. We both called Paarl on Friday and they confirmed the length at 5100mm, they apologised for the error and I notice they immediately corrected the error. The correction of 340mm is critical to our decision. So only 1.05m longer and 250kgs dry (300kgs GVM) heavier than the Miskruier.
    Maybe this is your parking solution !!!!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bekker Snr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Can you perhaps borrow the Miskruier to see if it fits in the basement parking. The length of the Ratel…maybe 4slpr vs 6 slpr, I’ve only seen them once and think the spare wheel location on the back adds the +340mm?
    Thanks Jannie, unfortunately the closest Miskruier in Australia that I am aware of is 1,800kms away from me so that is not possible. We are pretty much sold on the Ratel 4i even if it means having to place in storage. I am pretty certain that the 5100mm quoted by Martin when I spoke on Friday actually includes the spare wheel, that is what it now says on their website as per the following;

RATEL 4 / 4i - 4 sleeper | BUSH LAPA OFFROAD CA

The text says "Total Length (Spare wheel incl) 5100mm"
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bekker Snr View Post
    Maybe this is your parking solution !!!!!!!
    Interesting contraption but doesn't lower the height of the Bush Lapa
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Pros
    1. We will spend much time on the road, including at least one Australian “lap”, typically this is 9-12 month trip. Other camping periods will typically be 2-8 weeks.
    2. During inclement weather we can move into the internal “living” area of the Ratel.
    3. Second bed ideal for quick overnight stopovers.
    4. Able to reconfigure Ratel in such a way that simple cooking inside during inclement weather is possible.
    5. Great en suite shower setup without going outside.
    6. Allows almost as good off-road abilities.
    7. Overall improvement in comfort and convenience is massive.

?
    My dad bought a 2002 Xplorer in January and they love it pretty much for the reasons you list above. The bed is always made and the shower set-up is actually very convenient (having been a sceptic myself). Having camped with them two weeks ago, I don't think they would not have been as happy with the Miskruier (folding up the bed for example can be a bit of a hassle at older ages).

I think you're spot-on with the cons and have the info to make a good decision.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Thanks Jannie, unfortunately the closest Miskruier in Australia that I am aware of is 1,800kms away from me so that is not possible. We are pretty much sold on the Ratel 4i even if it means having to place in storage. I am pretty certain that the 5100mm quoted by Martin when I spoke on Friday actually includes the spare wheel, that is what it now says on their website as per the following;

RATEL 4 / 4i - 4 sleeper | BUSH LAPA OFFROAD CA

The text says "Total Length (Spare wheel incl) 5100mm"
    Jannie, your post above worried me, 5100mm fits in my tandem parking 5440mm does not Even though I had already checked with Bushlapa I called the Aussie agent this morning before ordering. The agent has a Ratel 4i at his factory awaiting collection by new owner. I asked him to please measure, he called me a few minutes later and confirmed my worst fears, in fact the total length from tip of tow hitch to back of spare wheel measures 5470mm. I contacted Martin in Paarl and asked him to please measure. Martin has just confirmed that agent in Australia is correct, the length is 5470mm, I assume they will correct their website again, I hope so. At least my perseverance has paid off and a serious mistake has been averted, I suppose I could remove the spare when parking, I'm not certain, I still love the Ratel 4i. Thanks for your input Jannie
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Interesting contraption but doesn't lower the height of the Bush Lapa
    We also have a steep incline to the garage. Our solution is to back the van up to the entrance of the garage, engage the Ewiks movers, unhitch and wind the jockey wheel to raise the hitch as high as it will go (this significantly lowers the tail of the van), if necessary use the stabiliser at the front of the van to get the jockey wheel shaft lower in the bracket and wind some more. Back the van into the garage with the Ewiks movers.

The Ewiks take a bit of strain especially if the van is loaded and the tanks full and sometimes the thermal fuses "blow", but it's just a matter of waiting a minute or two for the fuses to reset.

Works for us!
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Gen4 LWB Exceed
    Afrispoor Cheetah

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewC For This Useful Post: