Bush lapa miskruier review - Page 9

Page 9 of 600 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 34 59 109 259 509 ... LastLast

Heya Folks,

I've been following this thread for a while now....and very impressed at the BL Miskruier...so much so that I ordered one today (well yesterday actually, actually swambo hit the send/pay/enter key)...after seeing the Bush Wing set up on Michael's unit....I almost shed a tear...its beautiful....had to call Jannie to cancel the L-shaped awning and replace with Bush Wing....Now what do I do for the next twelve weeks waiting for delivery date.
    Its gonna be a highlight at the KZN members meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Clutties View Post
    I ordered one today ....Now what do I do for the next twelve weeks waiting for delivery date.
    Congratulations Roland, speaking from expierence (although my waiting period was 6 weeks, it seems Bush Lapa has now well and truly taken off), you have 12 weeks of googling "Bush Lapa Miskruier" for anything new on it, coupled with some drooling, ahead. Be strong mate, luckily time fly these days ... although, maybe not when waiting for a Miskruier (no pun intended).
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

Congrats Roland! Welcome to the Bush Lapa family . It's well worth the wait. That is not my unit. Mine is in the queue at Bush Lapa to have the wing fitted. I'll have mine back before my trip at the end of the month .
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Default Bushcamp with Miskruier

The past weekend I had the Miskruier on it's first bushcamp, i.e. camping in the veld with no amenities whatsoever.

This was an opportunity to try out all the extra's that I ordered on my miskruier.

Firstly, towing the caravan through the sandy kalahari sections was no problem at all as Jannie fitted a long enough axle so I could match the caravan's track width to that of my bakkie, which is important for sand towing. I wanted to attempt a few challenging dunes with the Miskruier, but the wife quickly nipped that idea in the butt. So, I could only drive the ones that was on the tweespoor-track and that was not a problem at all.

We pitched the L-shape tent for the first time and although we had a 40km/h wind on Sunday, the tent stood firm. Pitching the full bushcamp, including the L-shape tent and shower cubicle (not the pop-up kind, but a proper cubicle with poles, etc), chairs, tables, etc, took about an hour. As this was our first time with the L-shape tent, we took some time figuring out what went where and I suppose future attempts will be quicker. The zip-on side panels really works easy and look very neat when on, it really does look like a complete tent and not like a roof with loose sides when fully assembled. Breaking camp, including doing the dishes and pumping tyres after the previous day's dune driving, took about 1 hour & 15 minutes.

The solar sytem did it's job nicely as well. I parked so that the roof, when opened, faced north and thereby got the most out of the sun. We ran a 80l fridge and the caravan's lights as well as an extra 160LED light in the tent. The tank's pump (used for showering as well) also ran from the solar system.

We pitched the shower tent at the back door of the L-tent so one could step from the tent directly into the shower and therefore took the one gasbottle and the Alva gas geyser from the nosecone and connected it to the caravan's tap so the caravan's pump gave pressure to the system.

All in all, everything worked without any problems. Bush camping with the Miskruier is real easy.

All that remains for me to review on the Miskruier now, is a proper test on a challenging 4x4 route (something with grade 4 obstacles), but I will have to leave this for someone else as the wife have so fallen in love with the Miskruier that she bluntly refuses to let me try this. I suppose the next overlanding trip will be planned so that we "accidently" end up with serious obstacles, which will then have to be attempted in order to proceed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0410.jpg 
Views:	1066 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	151264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0453.jpg 
Views:	1061 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	151265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0458.jpg 
Views:	1112 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	151266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0460.jpg 
Views:	1522 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	151267  
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.

Nice feedback Jaco! I really enjoy your posts.

Jannie is on his way to me with my Miskruier as I am typing this....I cannot wait to play with my Bush Wing. I went there on Saturday morning for a sneak peak.

I will post some pics after my 2 week trip at the end of the month. Keep us posted on what the Miskruier does on grade 4 obstacles .

EDIT - wow - matching rims on the Miskruier nogal
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2012/06/18 at 02:49 PM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

wow - matching rims on the Miskruier nogal

The rims is a long story, but here is the short version - I carried those rims over from my previous bakkie and they are apparently the only 15" rims that fit over the Triton's calipers (Triton came with 16" rims). Then the manufacturers of the rims, Merit Racing, closed shop (or something to that effect). Recently I saw a guy with a set on his bakkie and made him a streetside offer.

So, I fitted one to my spare (which previously was a different 15" rim that could fit on the Triton's back axle, but not the front) and then had 3 rims for the Miskruier, resulting in 2 identical spare wheels.

Must admit, I did not only do that for the practical purpose; it looks damn nice in real life, with the M/T tyres and all.

Last night after work was the 1st opportunity I had to open up my new Bush Wing. I could not wipe the smile off my face - good thing I was alone.. . What a joke....I had everything up in minutes - including side panels and draft sheets.

Parked on my driveway, the only thing I could not do, was to pull things nice and tight with the pegs. The cell phone pictures does not do it justice. As mentioned before, I will take better pictures during our 2 week trip that kicks off next Friday. I will most likely only use the wing without the side panels 99% of the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0400.JPG 
Views:	1419 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	151672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0406.JPG 
Views:	867 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	151673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0408.JPG 
Views:	886 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	151674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0411.JPG 
Views:	882 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	151675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0412.JPG 
Views:	826 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	151676  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Kooskop .... if you get a chance and think of it , can you please take a couple of photo's of the pivot points please , I have tried to build a similar awning over here ( Aus ) , but it's not quite right .

Cheers Jim

Hey Michael the Bush Wing looks fantastic - cannot wait for my Rooimier to be completed 6th Aug. The Bush Wing that he is fitting will be the first one fitted to a Rooimier, and I'm interested to see how Jannie deals with the side awning over the front nose cone!
    Just had to replace my one garage door so I can fit the new 'baba' in.

Ag no, man, Michael, did you have to do that? After the weekend I decided the L-shape tent is fine, I do not need the Bushwing with tent.

Now I have to redo the budget so I can order the Bushwing.

Is the Bushwing made from ripstop canvas as well, like the L-shape tent is? If not, is it a strong enough fabric that will be able to withstand the same winds as the L-shape tent could?

Michael, it does look very good. Now I seriously wonder if we could attached that wing to out trailvan.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Hi Michael,
    Looks very nice, congratulations & enjoy. How about a photo when Bushwing is closed, how far does it extend past the roof & any effect on the front bed spring rods when side skirts attached

Onematch - I'm sure they will come up with a workable sollution.

Jaco - Jammer man . Yes, same rip-stop fabric as the L-shape. The solid roof structure and the fact that you can still anchor all the corners with guy ropes, should make this setup even stronger. The only thing I'm curious about is what the roof section will do in heavy rain in terms of forming dams. The angle seems sufficient. The structure does have some flex so if push comes to shove, you could pull the corners down a bit to increase the angle without bending anything. All the corner poles are adjustable in terms of height.

Spook - I'm sure it could work. If you need the side panels as well, only the 2 connecting panels and draft sheets would need adjustment - that is assuming the height of the wing will be the same. If not, the side panels might either be too short or too long...

Sebastiaan - As with the L-shape, the side skirts will have no effect on the front bed spring rods - Picture as requested.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

How do the side panels attach to the Bushwing, zip, hooks or clips? (please excuse me if this is a stupid question but I do not know the Bush Lapa product, my tent and gazebo clip in)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie4x4 View Post
    How do the side panels attach to the Bushwing, zip, hooks or clips?
    As I have it, the side panels zip in, same as with the L-tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Kruger View Post
    As I have it, the side panels zip in, same as with the L-tent.
    Spot on
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

As I obviously do not (yet ) own one some comments on how easily it zips on will be appreciated.....

How quick can you pull up a zip .....but seriously, I was on my own and it was my 1st time setting up the wing and side panels and it still took at most, 5 min. My 2nd time and with some help, I will do it in half the time. Each of the 5 panels has colour coding on the zips and it is child's play to assemble. The great thing is you do not at any point need an extra pair of hands with anything on the Miskruier......from setting up the van to zipping on the side panels to taking something cold out of the fridge to drink.....no help needed .
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2012/06/27 at 08:10 AM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Thank you to everyone for 'tolerating' English in this thread, it has been very useful to me. I started another thread looking at the Conqueror Companion but the Miskruier is really starting to change my mind. The fit and finish looks excellent. I really like the idea of stainless steel but have some concerns about the ability to repair it away from larger cities (and even then it may be an adventure). Do you think this concern is warranted? We are looking at a Cape to Cairo (and beyond) trip and want to be sure it is up to the task.

I like the look of the new bush wing and the ease of setup is fantastic. Does anyone know how much the side panels weigh? Michael where do you store the sides when they are not in use?

Cheers,
    Jason
    Jason Porter

1989 HJ61 'The Cruiser'
    Bush Lapa Boskriek #98 'The Snoozer'

'Life is great when you are in 98!'

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    How quick can you pull up a zip.
    The question should probably stated something like "how long does it take to hook in or align the sides so that you can start zipping?? I do realise that a zip is a zip is a zip.....

Page 9 of 600 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 34 59 109 259 509 ... LastLast