Bush lapa miskruier review - Page 5

Page 5 of 601 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 55 105 255 505 ... LastLast

Die nuwe Triton lyk wreed met die snorkel en muds ..........nice. Is daai Ford rims op die Miskruier?
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Right, with part 1 uploaded, let's now try part 2.

EASE OF USE:
    Setting-up camp was a breeze. The first afternoon myself, the wife and our 2 teenaged daughters posed for a photo after stopping at the campsite in the Biedouw valley and 9min 53seconds later posed for a second photo sitting down at our camping table with a beer (cooldrinks for the kids, of course) with the Miskruier unhitched and totally set-up for the night, including stabilizing it with the 2 hi-lift jack legs, the beds made, etc.

This excluded the awning as we did not need it for a single stop-over with no real prospects of rain. This is the beauty of the Bush Lapa range, you do not HAVE to erect a fully enclosed kitchen as well when you actually only need a bed.

When overlanding and just stopping for the night, just drop down the beds.
    If it rains or it is very hot during the day, then pitch the awning (I have the L-shape one).
    If it is cold and/or windy or when camping for an extended period, then attach the side panels to the awning.

Breaking camp is easy as well. So easy, that my family were the last to get up (I struggle with sleeping late) and we would still be the first ready to leave in a group of 8 vehicles, all towing either a bush trailer or an off road caravan.

A roadside stop is just as easy. If the kids need a packet of chips, then just open the kitchen panel. If the wife needs a jacket, open the back door and fetch it. If I need a can of ice tea (no beer when off roading, of course), then slide out the fridge. All in one action, nothing needs to be moved first.

The caravan does not have a lot of space inside, being the smallest and lightest 4-sleeper available, but the 2 double beds are spacious and comfortable with what looks like 100mm high density foam matrasses. I am about 6 feet and 95kg and slept very well indeed. I suppose the fact that I had to ask my family to get up in the morning when everybody else were already packing, speak for itself.

The inside cupboards at the back above and adjacent to the electrical control box, are perfect for our toiletry bags, the ladies' make-up kit, hairdryer, etc. The 4 clothes cupboards were more than sufficient for this 5 day trip, but on a 2 week overlanding trip one will have to keep bulky jackets seperate to have enough space for other clothes in the cupboards. This should not be a problem, because jackets are usually worn at night and in the mornings and the rest of the time it can just lay on top of the matresses.

Some customization will follow as the wife requested a clothes line inside the caravan to hang towels from to dry whilst driving to the next stop-over. I was thinking of attaching this to the wood inlay at the inside of the roof.

Shoes went into the storage space under the side bed with all the other stuff already stored there.

Therefore, nothing negative to report in this department.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0203.jpg 
Views:	1778 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	144396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0204.jpg 
Views:	1408 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	144397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0222.jpg 
Views:	2315 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	144398  
    Last edited by Jaco Kruger; 2012/05/07 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

Thanks Michael, I haven't had the Triton in the dunes yet, but am very satisfied with it thus far, I got 6,7km/l when towing at 120km/h (GPS speed).

Yes, it is the Ford's old rims on the Miskruier, I just removed the Ford badge. The alloy mags gives the Miskruier a whole different look compared to the standard white steelrims.

(Keeping this in my bestest english for the sake of our friends from over the waters)
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Kruger View Post
    The alloy mags gives the Miskruier a whole different look compared to the standard white steelrims.

(Keeping this in my bestest english for the sake of our friends from over the waters)
    Yep, best we stick to English. What! my rims are white?? I will check once I scrape off all the mud this weekend .
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

OK, so here is part 3.

ENDURING THE ELEMENTS:
    Once again, the Miskruier performed brilliantly.

Not a speck of dust from any of the gravel and dirt road travels made it into the caravan, it seems to be airtight. So much so, that one morning I forgot to close the roof after breaking camp and climbed on the nose cone with the intention of just pushing the roof down, but could not muster that with the tent windows zipped shut, it did'nt even budge. I eventually had to open the door to close the roof, which then just glided shut on the gas struts.

We slept over at Lamberts Bay the last evening after dining at Muisbosskerm and it was raining hard from 4 o'clock the afternoon right through the night, without a drop of rain in the Miskruier.

In fact, when we got home I washed the caravan down with a Wap for about 20 minutes to get rid of all the mud, blasting the locks, hinges and panel joints and it was completely dry inside afterwards. If a Wap can not get water past the seals, a water crossing should not either (read Caprivi).

One of my initial concerns were that the caravan would be cold due to the bare metal surfaces, especially after reading the WegSleep! review in their May 2012 issue, particularly regarding to the palm-sized gaps they referred to at the corners of the fold-down beds. My fears were unfounded, as I could not find any cold air coming into the caravan. Nor could I find the gaps WegSleep! referred to. Why my Miskruier differ from the one they tested, I do not know. For those who are not familiar with the South African West Coast, when it rains and the south-westerly is blowing, it gets COLD, but we had a warm sleep in Lamberts Bay, our bedding being sufficient.

I suppose the caravan will get hot inside while travelling in the South African summer, but as the roof's window as well as the beds' windows can zip open completely (the mosquito nets as well), it should cool down quickly once one have pitched camp. Luckily, my 80l fridge can take a number of ice teas.

Therefore, I still have nothing negative to report.

Name:	DSCF0190.jpg 
Views:	1134 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	144450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0258.jpg 
Views:	1495 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	144451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0284.jpg 
Views:	2719 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	144452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0285.jpg 
Views:	3579 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	144453  
    Last edited by Jaco Kruger; 2012/05/03 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling

One of my initial concerns were that the caravan would be cold due to the bare metal surfaces, especially after reading the WegSleep! review in their May 2012 issue, particularly regarding to the palm-sized gaps they referred to at the corners of the fold-down beds. My fears were unfounded, as I could not find any cold air coming into the caravan. Nor could I find the gaps WegSleep! referred to. Why my Miskruier differ from the one they tested, I do not know.
    Jannie fixed ours and all models after that were covered with canvas as a standard. I also mentioned that in my media review thread that was sadly... deleted. I'm just happy to read your posts as I was beginning to get the feeling people were thinking I was smoking my socks to rave so much about my Miskruier. I suspect we will be reading a lot more good reviews from other Bush Lapa owners in the months to come.

I must still download my photos of this past long weekend and will then post a few.

Ice teas?? Yeah right - half true maybe - you already posted an incriminating photo
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Michael, the photo you are referring too depicts me getting a can of Black Label for the wife's nerves after Eselbank pass. She was the one taking the picture, luckily the "anti-shake" mode of the camera stabilized everything just enough for the photo to be taken.

At that stage I was not thirsty and therefore only fetched the wife's beer.

This is the last and most important section of the review re the Cedarberg trip.

NEGATIVES AND BREAKDOWNS:
    One evening I noticed that the 220V on the Miskruier was down and after some searching found that the 220V cable connected to the electrical control box by a plug, which must have come loose when the wife started storing the hair dryer and similar equipment in that compartment. I just plugged it in again and all was fine.

Apparently, the electrical control unit is purchased from a different supplier and it comes with this plug connection prohibiting Bush Lapa from installing the 220V via a permanent connection. Now that I know of this plug, I will know were to find the problem should a similar situation occur.

The rubber skirting hanging from the middle of the caravan and which function is to protect the stainless steel water tank situated at the back of the under carriage took a beating from stones being hurled from the bakkie's back wheels on the gravel roads and probably was also damaged in the off roading and did not return home fully intact. I intend installing proper mud guard skirtings behind the back wheels of the bakkie, which should also deflect stones from the caravan's front and under carriage and not only from the water tank.

Further there is nothing negative to report.

CONCLUSION:
    I am of the opinion that I have found the perfect 4-sleeper off road caravan (especially for overlanding trips) in the Miskruier. It is small, light, agile, sturdy, well engineered, well layed out, totally self sufficient (with the solar system, water tank & Alva gas shower), tows extremely well and with not much that can go wrong or break (referring to the metal, aluminium and canvas surfaces)

Therefore, so far, so VERY good.

PS: If anyone is interested in a Miskruier, please speak to Bush Lapa, because mine will not be for sale for a LONG time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jaco Kruger; 2012/05/03 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Michael, the photo you are referring too depicts me getting a can of Black Label for the wife's nerves after Eselbank pass.

The rubber skirting hanging from the middle of the caravan and which function is to protect the stainless steel water tank situated at the back of the under carriage took a beating from stones being hurled from the bakkie's back wheels on the gravel roads.
    Ha ha.....I was referring to the Windhoek on the other photo. I would have passed the Black Label for a Coke.........must be the guilt feelings that made you confess.....

I will inspect the rubber flap on mine this weekend when I wash my Miskruier. We did quite a bit of gravel roads, some of them quite bad.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

The Windhoek was a well deserved gift from myself to myself after 9 min 53sec of pitching camp. No more driving was involved then.

I must confess, sometimes the wife do tend to enjoy a beer too much when off roading. And that is all I will say on that subject, since I am starting to dig a hole now.
    Last edited by Jaco Kruger; 2012/05/03 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

I must actually time me and my soon to be 14 year old son when setting up camp. We work like a well oiled machine. By the time I turn off the ignition, he already has the Miskruier unhitched and "in die hoogvoor" to where it should be - on his own.... The wife only does the bedding and the 19 year old daughter..........well she helps her boyfriend pitch his tent ......ja jong, dit ook nog....

I'm sure we can cut your time by more than half
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
    Do you not like the Companion, very happy with mine. Beds are huge.
    Had a look at it early last year and Swambo did not like the kitchen/fridge lay-out. I beleive that has changed but have not seen it yet. Weight was also a bit of a factor but I will go and look at it again, thanks.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

The Windhoek was a well deserved gift from myself to myself after 9 min 53sec of pitching camp. No more driving was involved then.

I must confess, sometimes the wife do tend to enjoy a beer too much when off roading. And that is all I will say on that subject, since I am starting to dig a hole now.
    I like the BL and hope to see one at the LA Sport show in Pretoria this weekend.

Thanks for all the reports. There is only 1 thing I can not agree on- this 10 min camp pitching:
    - to unhich making sure the caravaan is not running away might take 5 min
    -to level up to 10 min
    -unpacking the inside like chairs, tents etc 5min
    -open beds and get it ready for sleep 10 min
    -in the northern part of the country you get thunder storms with short notice, so make sure you have something above your head! that L-shape awning looks like an hour if the pins go in on a soft ground.

Please do not take this negatively, I am with you on this caravaan. For me to pitch camp in 1 hour is superb.
    Ps 16:5

Default @ Chris B

Perhaps time to trade in one of the best for the best Chris, so get a Miskruier!

I can say from our experience, without the setting up of the awning, that pitching the Miskruier for a single night stop is very, very quick!

Jaco, thank you for an excellent debrief on your trip and the photo's!

Michael, I hope you pitch that 19 year olds boyfriends tent FAR away from the Miskruier...

And then the issue of the photos and the broken laptop...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    There is only 1 thing I can not agree on- this 10 min camp pitching:
    Chris, I kid you not on the 10 min pitching. At home, I've done it single-handedly in 12 min. I must admit this is not done while chatting to the neighbor about his newest 4x4 and enjoying 2 beers in the mean time.

My test was to see how fast it can be done and that came in under 10 min. The clever design allows you to pitch camp this quick.

With regards to the L-shape, please note that I have stated the 10 min excluded the L-shape. The normal 2.5 x 2.5m awning that comes standard with the Miskruier, simply rolls out of its bag and is anchored by 2 corner poles, that should not take long either. The Fox-wing awning, which is an option, should only take a few seconds.

I knew from the start that the L-shape will be cumbersome, but wanted to have all that shade and enclosed space available for when it is needed. I sometimes tour with my brothers-in-law, who do not tow, and then the L-shape will be utilised by all. But then, they are there to help with pitching it.

Kan jy glo die man dink ons jok? .

I can guarantee that with the wing I will have everything - including the wing awning, chairs out, beds made, beer in hand in 5 min - without breaking a sweat..... If I have the wing by the time we have our GTG, we should maybe make a video clip and settle this once and for all .

Ja, ja Willem.......Laptop steeds op die koffie, het maar dogter s'n gebruik .

Some pics of our trip this past weekend......I never seem to make an effort to take nice photos of the camping setup .

Name:	Picture 046.jpg 
Views:	4064 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	144760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 065.jpg 
Views:	3838 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	144761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 629.jpg 
Views:	3778 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	144762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 157.jpg 
Views:	3821 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	144763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 651.jpg 
Views:	4515 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	144764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 603.jpg 
Views:	3748 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	144765  
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2012/05/04 at 10:58 AM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Aviator, Jaco,Michael- thanks for the positive reply!
    I can not wait to see the Bush Lapa in real.
    It looks like the Vlooi has the most packing space if you only have to sleep 2 people, children in tents outside.

Pitching camp is not only how quickly it can be done, but also about effort needed to be done. It looks like the BL tops here!
    Last edited by Chris B; 2012/05/04 at 10:07 AM.

Spot on Chris . The Vlooi does have way more space than you can possibly need.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Ja, ja Willem.......Laptop steeds op die koffie, het maar dogter s'n gebruik .
    Michael, I am NEVER asking you again to post photos.

I am stuck here in Nigeria for another couple of weeks and all I want to do right now is go camping with our Miskruier!

Awesome photos Michael, it looks like you had a superb weekend in really nice places! Even if they aren't the best according to you, they had a very real "Let's go camping" look to them and I thought they were excellent!

So come on September, it's time to camp. We have a serious camp before then, one in the Kgalagadi on the Botswana side, Kutse and Khama Rhino Sanctuary to mention some of tour destinations. Can't wait, just praying for an ostrich wing before that!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    I like the BL and hope to see one at the LA Sport show in Pretoria this weekend..
    Bush Lapa not at the show.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B

Bush Lapa not at the show.....?
    Wonderboom Caravans, the distributers of BushLapa in Pretoria is just a block away from there...
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

Page 5 of 601 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 55 105 255 505 ... LastLast