explorer or oryx

Wink explorer or oryx

Hi everyone I am looking for some advice.

At the moment I am a proud owner of a explorer I have only owned it for a few months and used it a hand full of times. what I have experience so far is very impressive and comfortable. But its very heavy and I find my Raider using a lot of fuel especially if there is a strong head wind.

I was at a caravan shop the other day and I saw a oryx for the first time and was very taken by it. Yes its a lot smaller but its a lot lighter as well.

I am planning on going on a trip to Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. Can anyone give me some input on whether to take the explorer or to trade it in on the oryx. Or give me some feed back on the oryx.

Cheers Prince.

Default xplorer or oryx

Prince, I think you must serioisly reconsider, The Oryx is about 300kg lighter than the Xplorer. (Two Bulls or Three Province Players) That is not not going to influence your fuel consumption that much. Okay It is a Toyota. Buy A Jeep!

Hi Prince,

The increased fuel consumption when towing a caravan is when driving at speeds of 80+ kph due to the increased airflow resistance and not due to the weight. The Xplorer and Oryx don't differ much in height and width. The shape of the flat and square Oryx is even less aerodynamic then the Xplorer. When accelerating, you will use less fuel with the Oryx, because there is less weight to move.
    An other situation where you have an advantage of the lesser weight is when driving in mountainous country or on muddy tracks with limited traction.

I tow my Xplorer with a Land Rover Defender Td5. The average fuel consumption increases from 1 : 11 to 1 : 9 when towing, also in the mountains (so not here in Holland). When possible I drive a maximum of 100 kph.

I guess that changing to the Oryx won't make that much of a difference in fuel consumption.

Although I never slept in a Oryx, some members of the Land Rover Club Holland have one, I see them often and speak to their owners about their experiences and where they've been.

Some observations:
    * The bed is about 10 cm shorter (190 cm).
    * The Oryx is less suitable for colder conditions because the outside bed is too cold. Also their is not enough space for fitting a heater. I use the Xplorer in the winter at freezing temperatures. It snows also in SA, so I guess you also have a colder season.
    * When using the kitchen you have to walk to the other side of the Oryx to get in and to get to the cupboards (very annoying).
    * The awning is more work to set, although it is bigger.
    * You can't look 360 degrees around you (for lions etc )
    * (the most important one) The fridge is smaller which means LESS BEER .

I know I'm biased but I would think again before swapping.

Sam Weesie

Prince, a friend of mine had one and we did a number of trips together, my summary from observing them:

1 - Too much unpacking before you can sleep (f e if you sleep over 1 night) - this means that you tend to pack a lot of stuff in the walkway and bed
    2 - sleeps only 2 inside and a roof top tent in front - that mean the front 2 is totally on their own (my friend always slept in front with a child and his wife and the other child inside - not for me)
    3 - kitchen lay-out not optimal - tend to walk around a lot
    4 - still heavy, won't trade the explorer
    5 - if you really want to go lighter rather look at the Echo Chobe
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Thanks for the advice. I think after reading the replies I will be keeping the explorer.

There was some valied points that I over looked when weighing up my options.

Cheers Prince.
    Prince
    Toyota Legend 4x4 2.7i

Prince

You might end up like me who started towing the Xplorer with my Colt 2.8 Tdi but then switched to the Pajero 3.2 DiD, which tows the Xplorer beatifully with any headwind, uphill etc and still return respectable consumption figures.

CATs
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)