Desert tour Kaa, Mabua, Khutse, CKGR

Default Desert tour Kaa, Mabua, Khutse, CKGR

Hi,
    I’m new in this forum and I have some question to my planed route through the south west of Botswana.

What do you think about this route? And what would you do different?

Information’s: We are two cars, one vehicle have a cable winch. The tents are at the roof of the cars. We have also a sat phone. The route is planned for July.

The campsite numbers are only wish, and I’m thankful for a tip which campsite is better

The planed route:
    1 day: Landing at Windhoek airport; buying food and other things in Windhoek; sleeping at Airport Hunting and Guest farm

2 day: Drive to charlshill (Botswana), drive over Ncojane and Ukwhi to the Western Woodlands. wild camping at Western Woodlands.
    (Question: Can we cross the western woodlands to Ngwate, can we sleep in the western Woodlands?)

3 day: Drive to Kaa Gate over Zutshwa, sleeping wild camping at the route between Zutshwa and Kaa Gate.
    (Can we sleep at this track?)

4 day: Drive over Kaa Gate to Swartpan camping at campsite 1

5 day: Game drives at Swartpan region, sleeping at campsite number 1

6 day: Drive to Gnus Gnus camp, sleeping at campsite Gnus Gnus

7 day: Drive from Gnus Gnus to Thuapapedia campsite or to Sizatswe campsite
    (Which campsite is better Thuapapedia or Sizatswe? Which is the best campsite number?)

8 day: Drive from Thuapapedia or Sizatswe to Polentswa camp, sleeping at Polentswa number 1

9 day: Game drives at Polentswa, sleeping at Polentswa number 1

10 day: drive from Polentswa to Nossob, shopping at Nossob and Game drives at Nossob, sleeping at Nossob chalet

11 day: Drive from Nossob to Bosobongolo, sleeping at Bosobongolo campsite number 2

12 day: Drive from Bosobongolo toMpayathutlwa, sleeping at Mpayathutlwa campsite number 1

13 day: Drive from Mpayathutlwa over Khiding pan to Mabuasehube campsite, sleeping at campsite number 1

14 day: Drive from Mabuasehube campsite over East Gate to Gaborone. From the east Gate to Gaborone we use the track at the national park fence to the route to Kokotsha, sleeping at Planet Lodge

15 day: Drive from Gaborone Khutse campsite over Khutse South Gate, sleeping at Khutse campsite
    (Which campsite number is the best at Khutse campsite?)

16 day: Drive from Khutse campsite to Moreswe pan over Gwia pan, sleeping at Moreswe campsite number 2
    (Is the track Khutse pan to Moresewe pan over Gwia pan passable?)

17 day: Drive from Moreswe campsite to Molose campsite, sleeping at campsite number 2

18 day: Drive from Molose to Maharushele campsite, sleeping at campsite number 3
    19 day Drive from Maharushele campsite to Bape campsite, sleeping at Bape campsite number 2
    (Which track would you take to Bape the track over Kikao or the direct track to Bape?)

20 day: Drive from Bape campsite to Xaxa campsite, sleeping at Xaxa campsite number 2
    (Is it better to camp at Xade campsite or at Xaxa campsite? I hear something about lions at Xaxa which destroyed tents?)

21 day: Drive from Xaxa to Piperpans, sleeping at Piper pan campsite number 1

22 day: Drive from Piper to New Kori camp, sleeping at New Kori camp number 3

23 day: Drive from New Kori Camp to Kori Camp, sleeping at Kori camp number 3

24 day: Drive from New Kori Camp to Sunday pan, sleeping at Sunday pan campsite number 3

25 day: Drive from Sunday pan to Passage campsite, sleeping at campsite number 2

26 day: Drive from Passage pan to Motopi campsite, sleeping at Motopi campsite number 2

27 day: Drive from Motopi campsite to Ghanzi over Tsau Gate, sleeping at Thakadu camp, sleeping at Thakadu chalet

28 day: Drive from Thakadu camp to Airport Hunting and Guest farm

Thankful regards
    From Leopardenfan
    Last edited by Leopardenfan; 2012/02/23 at 06:02 PM.

Hi Leopardfan,

Not much response to your questions so far but they are a bit too much in detail.
    Let me put it this way:
    Which camp site (especially the number) is largely irrlevant for such a long trip, you are in the wilderness and that's what counts.
    Then I assume you are all adults, able bodies and know the basics of recovery and bush etiquette.
    Now to the route:
    I can't comment on the border crossing, not familiar with this one.
    For the camp sites check directly in your text below

Quote Originally Posted by Leopardenfan View Post
    Hi,
    I’m new in this forum and I have some question to my planed route through the south west of Botswana.

Information’s: We are two cars, one vehicle have a cable winch. The tents are at the roof of the cars. We have also a sat phone. The route is planned for July.

The campsite numbers are only wish, and I’m thankful for a tip which campsite is better

The planed route:
    1 day: Landing at Windhoek airport; buying food and other things in Windhoek; sleeping at Airport Hunting and Guest farm

2 day: Drive to charlshill (Botswana), drive over Ncojane and Ukwhi to the Western Woodlands. wild camping at Western Woodlands.
    (Question: Can we cross the western woodlands to Ngwate, can we sleep in the western Woodlands?)
    not sure, check further.

3 day: Drive to Kaa Gate over Zutshwa, sleeping wild camping at the route between Zutshwa and Kaa Gate.
    There is a new bush camp about 15 km from Zutshwa direction Kaa gate and signposted with tyres try this one.

(Which campsite is better Thuapapedia or Sizatswe? Which is the best campsite number?)
    As said above you'll find any opinions, make up your own when visiting.

8 day: Drive from Thuapapedia or Sizatswe to Polentswa camp, sleeping at Polentswa number 1

10 day: drive from Polentswa to Nossob, shopping at Nossob and Game drives at Nossob, sleeping at Nossob chalet

11 day: Drive from Nossob to Bosobongolo, sleeping at Bosobongolo campsite number 2

12 day: Drive from Bosobongolo toMpayathutlwa, sleeping at Mpayathutlwa campsite number 1

13 day: Drive from Mpayathutlwa over Khiding pan to Mabuasehube campsite, sleeping at campsite number 1

14 day: Drive from Mabuasehube campsite over East Gate to Gaborone. From the east Gate to Gaborone we use the track at the national park fence to the route to Kokotsha, sleeping at Planet Lodge
    assume this is the main gate to Mabua section of the park. Fire break route is fine, mind the little detour around a private farm of about 40 kms before reaching the tar road.

15 day: Drive from Gaborone Khutse campsite over Khutse South Gate, sleeping at Khutse campsite
    take any

16 day: Drive from Khutse campsite to Moreswe pan over Gwia pan, sleeping at Moreswe campsite number 2
    The standard tracks are all open, expect some sandy passages, no problem with deflated tyres.

17 day: Drive from Moreswe campsite to Molose campsite, sleeping at campsite number 2

18 day: Drive from Molose to Maharushele campsite, sleeping at campsite number 3
    19 day Drive from Maharushele campsite to Bape campsite, sleeping at Bape campsite number 2
    (Which track would you take to Bape the track over Kikao or the direct track to Bape?)
    One is obviously the moore used one the other is quite overgrown, careful that you don't use the one that ends at a san village.

20 day: Drive from Bape campsite to Xaxa campsite, sleeping at Xaxa campsite number 2
    (Is it better to camp at Xade campsite or at Xaxa campsite? I hear something about lions at Xaxa which destroyed tents?)
    Xaka camp site was quite a disappointment, even got ourselves stuck manoeuvring on the camp site, no game in the neighborhood, lack of pumped water prevented this. Rather push on to Xade and use the camp about 20 kms before the settlement on your right.

24 day: Drive from New Kori Camp to Sunday pan, sleeping at Sunday pan campsite number 3

25 day: Drive from Sunday pan to Passage campsite, sleeping at campsite number 2

26 day: Drive from Passage pan to Motopi campsite, sleeping at Motopi campsite number 2

27 day: Drive from Motopi campsite to Ghanzi over Tsau Gate, sleeping at Thakadu camp, sleeping at Thakadu chalet

Thankful regards
    From Leopardenfan
    Your trip should be fun, with respect to the sat phone, it is only useful if you have somebody to call who can reach you when in trouble. No point in calling Germany when you are stuck in CKGR.

Enjoy your trip then.
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2012/04/21 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typos
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Hi,
    Iím new in this forum and I have some question to my planed route through the south west of Botswana.
    Informationís: We are two cars, one vehicle have a cable winch. The tents are at the roof of the cars. We have also a sat phone. The route is planned for July.
    The campsite numbers are only wish, and Iím thankful for a tip which campsite is better
    The planed route:

2 day: Drive to charlshill (Botswana), drive over Ncojane and Ukwhi to the Western Woodlands. wild camping at Western Woodlands. Yes - possible

I will ask for no 4 - the best spot

Thankful regards
    From Leopardenfan
    Please get yourself a Satphone with tell no to phone for help in Botswana

Also try the campingsite Khalahar Safari mention - remember - the lions -
    BlinkGat Products
    Manufacturing of Aluminium
    custom made Products
    Sarel 082 820 9413
    www.blinkgatproducts.com

Thanks SareIF and Kalahari Safari for the tipps.

What does you think about the aggressive lions at Xaxa ?

I am also thankful for some more tips and for informations about experience at this route.

Thanksful regards
    Leopardenfan

I don't think there are aggressive lions anywhere, they are curious of the "intruders" and if younger ones are in the pride they are more inquisitive.
    As long as you behave correctly they will not be a problem. Just keep the eyes open all the times and avoid walks away from the group or the camp.
    Same goes for night duty, don't take chances before you have not checked out that you are alone.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

It seems you all set in your trip, i have however noticed that most of this trip is in Botswana, so y not land in Gaborone, the distance from Windhoek to Kaa is more than that of Gaborone Kaa... Secondly, there are good operators in Botswana, mybe get them to do you an eternary combinabining all this areas, they should do a good job, try [email protected]

An d like already mentioned,the trip will be starining aspeacialy the Kaa-Nossop road, so be ready..

Enjoy and send us the update

Jannybee Guest

While I realise you want to see as much as possible, my comment - there is A LOT OF DRIVING, pitching and striking camp. At what point do you get to sit back and actually enjoy yourselves and soak in the essence of Africa?

Default Kaa

Hi Leopardenfan and other members,

We are on our way to KAA on 20 May for 10 days for R&R and wanted to book Gnus Gnus, but according to BOTS Nat Parks, there is no camping there. No booked Swartpan and Sizwatse.

Where did you book, or is this just a wish list?

Philip

Philip

Enjoy Kaa, what route are you take to KAA?
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

I think you are trying to see to much in the time. They are all nice spots but to much pitching camp and the leaving the next day.

I try and always stay 2 nights in a spot, then do you see the real Africa.

You are going to drive a LOT!!!!

I know it is not easy but my advice is to cut something from the trip.

Eitherway ENJOY

Hi Elize,

We are in Stellenbosch.

First day to Calvinia, Second to Urikaruus, then long haul via Nossop for fuel and water to KAA.

4 nights in Sizwatse and 5 in Swart pan.

One night in Polenstwa then back via Calvinia and home.

Philip

Thank you for your much informations,
    this route is only our wish list.

thanks leopardenfan

Phillip, KAA gate water is MUCH beter than Nossob.

SO, go at the camping site, fill up beforer you go and then there is also water at Swartpan.

Enjoy.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

The regions you are planning to visit is very similar. Personally I would select Kgalagai or Khutse and then I would only spend 3 to 4 nights in each region. There is much more to see, either north to Moremi, Savuti, Kasane or head east into South Africa and visit Kruger.

Can I ask why you are planning to go to Gaborone between Mabua and Khutse? We will be going directly from Mabua to Khutse, via Kang. Gabs seems like a bit of a detour or is there something I am missing?
    The Lady Camper
    Toyota FJ Cruiser, Bushlapa Boskriek

Aswambo, I think we have to geo to Gaborone for shopping, because we need new food.

Whats the route like from Khutse to Kaa gate? Is it too much to tackle in one long day of driving?

Leopard-fan: here are my comments for what they are worth; however I have not driven in the areas you are covering recently, so some of my road info may be outdated:

Hi,
    THE ROAD CONDITIONS FROM THE HUKUNTSI/TSHANE ROAD TO UKWHI ARE NOT GOOD, AND I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF YOU REACHED UKWHI FROM OUTSIDE WINDHOEK IN ONE DAY.

YOU CAN BASICALLY SLEEP WHERE YOU LIKE IN OPEN COUNTRY, BEFORE YOU REACH GEMSBOK PARK (AS OPPOSED TO INSIDE THEPARK, WHERE YOU MUST SLEEP IN DESIGNATED CAMP SITES)

AS MENTIONED ABOVE, YOU NEEDN'T DRIVE TO GABS - YOU CAN BUY PROVISIONS IN MOLEPOLE, SOUTH-EAST OF KHUTSE, AND CUT THE LEG TO GABS OUT OF YOUR TRIP - SAVE TIME AND PETROL.

YOU'VE SCHEDULED 8 DAYS IN THE CKGR, SO YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DRIVE AT A LEISURELY PACE WITH PLENTY OF STOPS FOR PHOTOS, SNACKS ETC.

I'M SURE THAT YOUR TRIP WILL LEAVE YOU WITH MEMORIES FOR LIFE!

Thankful regards
    From Leopardenfan

Please see my responses below:

Hi,

Route looks excellent - remember to plan water and fuel such that you always have more than sufficient.
    The winch will probably not be needed but is fine to have.
    I cannot assist up to KAA Gate

The planed route:

(Question: Can we cross the western woodlands to Ngwate, can we sleep in the western Woodlands?) Remember any woodlands camping make contact with the local people and ask permission they will gladly assist and some will probably join your camp fire so have some extra beers available. I need hardly say they should be paid a modest amount.

4 day: Drive over Kaa Gate to Swartpan camping at campsite 1 Swartpan 1 is an excellent choice - You can see the waterhole from it and quite some time can be spent simply in the camp watching the hole. There is good water at Swartpan so you can top-up but a good rule is never to have to depend on water being available at any point where water availability is indicated. The pump may be broken for example.

6 day: Drive to Gnus Gnus camp, sleeping at campsite Gnus Gnus I personally love Gnus Gnus for its remoteness but one night is enough.

(Which campsite is better Thuapapedia or Sizatswe? Which is the best campsite number?) We have slept at both - we prefer Thuapedi - it is a clump of trees virtually surrounded by a pan. I must confess to some prejudice though as our night at Sizatswe was spend with a lion roaring about 30 metres away, at intervals of 10 to 15 minutes the whole night! The minute it was slightly light our tormentor disappeared leaving only his footprints. This is what one goes to these places for! His pugmarks indicated that he also visited Thuapedi.

8 day: Drive from Thuapapedia or Sizatswe to Polentswa camp, sleeping at Polentswa number 1. Comfortable distance for a day. Don't try and make it longer.

11 day: Drive from Nossob to Bosobongolo, sleeping at Bosobongolo campsite number 2 I would try and camp at a Khutse site which has a water hole rather than Bos. I would also sleep over at Matopi 1 or 2. Nossob Mabua is a long trip for a day - you can do it but rather try sleep over.

12 day: Drive from Bosobongolo toMpayathutlwa, sleeping at Mpayathutlwa campsite number 1 I would sleep at Matopi and spend two nights at Mpayathutlwa - I think it has a water hole otherwise Khidding pan would be my choice.

(Which campsite number is the best at Khutse campsite?) My experience all well placed and very similar

(Is the track Khutse pan to Moresewe pan over Gwia pan passable?) yes but it would be a good idea just to check at the Khutse gate

19 day Drive from Maharushele campsite to Bape campsite, sleeping at Bape campsite number 2 Be sure to keep your booking at Bape as there is only one official site and it is difficult to get a booking.
    (Which track would you take to Bape the track over Kikao or the direct track to Bape?) We travelled direct but suggest you check at the gate the officials are a pleasure and will be very helpful

20 day: Drive from Bape campsite to Xaxa campsite, sleeping at Xaxa campsite number 2 It is incidentally very sensible to sleep at Bape on the Khutse Xade trip and do not let anyone persuade you otherwise. It is an 11 to 12 hour trip. I would go so far as to book at Bape and build my other bookings around it.
    (Is it better to camp at Xade campsite or at Xaxa campsite? I hear something about lions at Xaxa which destroyed tents?) As far as I know Lions have not interfered with rooftop tents while many people swear by ground tents. Search "Ground Tents" on this forum and you will get a long story on the matter. Lions are not at any particular place, they are anywhere least expected. They are also not different from place to place. I would try and get Xade 1 or if not possible, 2. They are remote from the Gate and very pleasant.

We hope this helps and wish you an interesting trip. I always say that I do not go to those parts to see the wildlife but to experience the absolute remoteness. You will for example hardly see another vehicle in the Swartpan, Gnus Gnus Thuapedi area.

Thankful regards
    From Leopardenfan

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Gous View Post
    Hi Leopardenfan and other members,

We are on our way to KAA on 20 May for 10 days for R&R and wanted to book Gnus Gnus, but according to BOTS Nat Parks, there is no camping there. No booked Swartpan and Sizwatse.

Where did you book, or is this just a wish list?

Philip

Philip - I do not believe your info is correct I attach our bookings in August 2013 for Swartpan 2, Thuapedi and Sizatchwe - We also stayed at Gnus Gnus where there is an official campsite.
    Attached Images Attached Images