Dicovery Disaster

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dicovery Disaster

Hi People

The car actually has such a long story of woe to it that i can cover many pages but in short form it is something like this.

Some advise please or opinions on what might have gone wrong?
    My Son in Law bought a Disco3 HSE with 79000ks on the clock, eight months later and the car has 105000 km on the clock, it ha been back to Land Rover eight times with issues, it has broken down on three longish trips, the last times seems to be terminal. The engine suffered catastropic water loss, huge amounts of steam from the exhaust so much so that it actually washed the exhaust pipe to as new cleanliness. If you now pour water into the reservior it simply runs out through the exhaust.

And Please if your only opion is something in line with the normal comments from the plastic bakkie brigade please keep it to yourselve i am not interested in starting a bashing thread

Any ideas.

Thanks

Joe

Ok no bashing thread.

What is the question then?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Diesel or petrol engine?
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Sorry it's the TDV6,

The question is what could have failed so badly that water can run out through the exhaust?

I don't know these engines specifically, but generally speaking, if the engine overheated badly, it may have blown a head gasket. This could allow coolant from a water jacket to get into a combusion chamber and out the exhaust via an exhaust valve.

Looks like your son-in-law is in for an expensive repair. Sorry about that.
    - Nothing comes at a higher price than that which is free.

There was no overheating, no indication from the temp gauge, no warning lights at all, the car started to shudder like a misfire and then all the steam, this happened at 130k/ph, he pulled to the side of the road immediately and the car still idled fine however there was/is a distinct knocking sound that increase with revs. Now the engine wont turn over, i suspect hydraulic lock

Joe,

Sounds like a big boom in headgasket department. If the gasket blew out between one of the water ports and the piston, it's like BlueShirt said, water will just pour out the outlet side.

It's so sad to read another thread where the stealers stuffed up big time. Where does your SIL stay? He should look for a indy and get it fixed by someone who loves a Land Rover, not fix them because it's his job.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

the water sensor have to be touching the coolant in order to measure the temperature. On many cars, not only Land Rovers, if there is a sudden loss in coolant, you wont see the temp guage rising, because the coolant has all escaped. leaving the sensor dry.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Just for interest , what is the service intervals of this said D3, 12 000 or 24 000km,s.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Head gasket does sound most likely, and rather catastrophically at that. Check the oil for milkiness, would confirm head gasket.

Much less likely would be a head failure with direct rupture through the aluminum walls between the water channels and the combustion chamber.

Yip, head gasket first check but could also be cracks in the water channels also allowing water into the cylinders then out through exhaust. Realy bad failure, sorry
    Still Tabbing at nearly 50

P38 without STUPID AIR SUSPENSION
    Dodge
    Jeep Platkar
    2x Dirty Bikes

Had a similar problem on my previous Pajero and it turned out to be head gasket. He should get it looked at before it causes more damage.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

I am sorry to hear about your son's car. Please dont take it back to the dealers, unless it is still within the warranty period. Make contact with Tgwinduna (Peter) he is on the forum, his place is unfortunately in Jhb, but he is the best guy to speak to regarding your issue.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Tanks for all the replies, the car is at the dealers as it still covered by Motor Rite, not that this policy seems to be worth anything as they very cleverly cover themselves from the outset to have loopholes in all areas to not payout, IMO this Motor Rite crap that the dealers tell you to buy is nothing more than the cost of the printed book, But let me not get of the topic.

I found out today that in order to work on the Engine the entire body gets lifted of the chassis !!!! This labour cost is going to be in excess of R 14 000.00 and then they have not even touched the engine, now i cannot understand if Land Rover designed the car so that you have to remove the body to get to the engine, why should the owner pay for this? I see some serios money being spent on this car ! If its only a head gasket blown then there should surely not be a knocking sound, unless this noise is caused by the high pressure in the combustion chamber due to all the water.

debronski - Im sorry to hear about your car and Im new to LandRover, so I cant give any advice other than Silver Shadow had it right, Contact peter - tgwinduna here on the forum - he owns Landy Worx. He is the best guy to speak to.

I actually think that a body that can separate from the rolling chassis is a very clever design. It actually does not take that long for the body to separate from the chassis.

If you say that the motorite policy is such rubbish, and not worth the paper it is printed on, and that you will have to fork out a lot of money for it to be fixed, go take your car back and take it to a proper indy and then you will not have to pay that much.

The stealers steal your money that is what they are there for. The charge out rate of the stealers are R680 per hour which is complete madness to me. That is why if I get a quote from the stealers I ALWAYS half it and then I know what a PROPER indy will charge me.

If you are going to spend R14000 on labour take some of that and have the car put on a low bed and send it to Landyworx, you will not be sorry.

Your car will be in good hands, and will be looked after. You will also not be ripped off like the dealers will rip you off.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Quote Originally Posted by cordell.dutoit View Post
    debronski - Im sorry to hear about your car and Im new to LandRover, so I cant give any advice other than Silver Shadow had it right, Contact peter - tgwinduna here on the forum - he owns Landy Worx. He is the best guy to speak to.
    Hi Debronski
    OUCH!! but never fear . Was the car worked on in the last six months at a dealership. Better still get you son to give me a call in the morning 011 781 0020 about 9h00.

Let me share a story I heard today. Toyota Prado 120 KZTE takes his car into a very prominat Toyota dealer ship complaining of loss of water and over heating. Mechie diagnose leaking radiator. Customer gives go ahead to replace. Done and dusted gives car back to the customer and two weeks later the engine overheats , but good, melts all the plastic shrouds and warps the head good and proper. Solution from Dealer replace the whole engine etc R72000.00 plust vat. Customer says forget you pay takes it to the consumer commissioner and guess what. Dealership you will replace at your cost, No Ifs and No buts.
    So Debronski tell your son to think on those lines and you will still have an oppertunity to whack motorite.
    Take Care
    Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)

Does not take long to lift the top off, I can not see why they want to charge R14k for labour alone. Sounds like typical answer to the question "why is labour so much?" "the top comes off" It was designed to lift easily
    Sold Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top.
    Crank driven compressor http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42059

Sold: 2000 Discovery2 V8 Auto

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

Quote Originally Posted by O.B. View Post
    Does not take long to lift the top off, I can not see why they want to charge R14k for labour alone. Sounds like typical answer to the question "why is labour so much?" "the top comes off" It was designed to lift easily
    I might be wrong but if I remember correctly it takes 2.5 hrs to lift the body, according to other forums.
    It was especially designed like that to make it easier to work on.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

All good and well that the D3's body is lifted off the chassis and makes working on it a pleasure, but to rip the client a new hole of 14k alone is rediculous.
    I personally think they said that to try scare you off, making you think that if that cost 14k whats the next cost going to be. And if motorite doesn't cover, how am i going to fit this cost
    Take Peter's advise, you are not the only D3 owner sitting with this kind of situation. I personally think the consumer act is behind you well enough to fight this.
    Platkar driver...
    '99 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i - SOLD
    Challenger Bundu Basher - SOLD
    I will drive a Land Rover again...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast