Useful info for Terracan owners....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Useful info for Terracan owners....

I found a post on 4x4overlandtravel.com with a lot of interesting info on Terracan mods! Repairs and info -

Can I fit Diff Locks to my Terracan?
    For the 2.9 Hyundai Terracan The following Official Diff locks are available.

ARB:
    ARB Air Locker Front: 28 splines, 28.8 mm (1.13") Shaft diameter. Part No: RD110

ARB Air Locker Rear: 34 splines, 34.8 mm (1.37") Shaft diameter. Part No: RD156

ARB Air Lockers can be bought from www.oecinternational.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOKKA:
    Lokka Front Automatic Diff Lock: 28 splines, 28.8mm axle diameter. Can be found here: http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29

And FAQ about the LOKKA can be found here: http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/pdf/LOK...on%20paper.pdf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Most Diff Lock Manufactures will not list a Terracan Diff Lock. But as the Hyundai Terracan 2.9 Diesel is a clone to the Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero/Montero MK2 their axles, shafts, differentials are the same, and vice versa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the Largest size tyre I can fit to a Standard Hyundai Terracan?

Standard Factory tyre size for the Part Time 4wd 2.9 crdi Terracan is 255/65/16.
    The Following tyre sizes will fit with no modifications needed:

255/70/16
    245/70/16
    245/75/16 *
    225/75/16
    31x12.50x15
    235/75/15
    235/65/17
    235/70/17
    255/55/18
    255/65/18
    295/40/20

These tyres are for Road, All Terrain and Mud Terrain. All the above will fit regardless of modifications.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the Largest size tyre I can fit to a Lifted Hyundai Terracan?

The answer is the same as a standard Hyundai Terracan. The reason is the wheel arches. In order to fit Larger tyres than stated you will need to trim certain sections of the wheel arch including mud guards to accommodate a larger tyre.
    If you have a suspension lift and a body lift then less of the wheel arch will need trimming.
    The amount to trim vary's on tyre size. But for a 33" tyre you need roughly 25mm and to accommodate a 35" tyre you will need to trim 50mm off the total wheel arch, and remove the mud flaps internally and externally completely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I lift My Diesel Terracan?

Yes, You can. There are two ways of doing this. One is a 40mm Suspension lift comprising of 2x Front Torsion bars, 2x front Shocks, 2x rear 40mm longer springs and 2x rear shocks. A high quality lift kit can be found here: http://www.tjm.com.au/#gen_view_sc1.php?sx=SX12001002 . The UK official distributor for TJM lit kits are www.oecinternational.com

The other method is a body lift. This is more complicated but the parts are alot cheaper to come by. The process involves loosening the 8 bolts that hold the body on to the chassis and inserting the spacers. Once these spacers have been put in place the bolts are then tightened. I recommend that 2" is the largest you use. Any larger and you need to start relocating brake lines or extending them etc. The body lift kit can be found here: http://xpajun.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=73

Can I fit a Raised Air Intake to my Terracan Diesel?

You can. The Raised air intake is made by TJM. It follows the body line of the front right pillar, so it is completely hidden when you are sat in the drivers seat. It bolts directly on to the right wing of the vehicle and the inside of the drivers pillar, it comes supplies with a section of tubing to couple on to the air filter box. The Raised air intake is made with high quality plastics as good as if not better than the popular safari snorkel. Sun light ad UV has no effect on the snorkels plastic construction. Silicone is recommended to get a complete, watertight seal. The TJM snorkel can be bought from www.oecinternational.com and for a small fee they can install the Snorkel. (Snorkel Currently Out of stock worldwide, It is possible to use Pajero Mk2 Safari Snorkels, tho you may need to make small adjustments).

Can I get raised breathers for a Terracan?

You can relocate the front axle, rear axle, automatic transmition breather and fuel tank breather up in to the bonnet or even higher running up along side of the snorkel. The breather tubing is easy to get a hold of, and in varying lengths.
    Connectors are also available to clip on to the existing breathers to extend them, or also to put them in to a junction box so that you have one breather pipe not 4 running up the side of the raised air intake.
    Breathers and connectors can be bought from any reputable 4x4 company but like most of the products available on the Terracan www.oecinternational.com is the best place to get them from.

Can I fit a winch and/or bumper to my Hyundai Terracan?

Yes you can. There are 3 types of winch bumpers that I am aware of.
    You have the Aluminium front bumper. The Steel Winch bumper and the hidden winch mount.
    The Aluminium front bumper is available from TJM here: http://www.tjm.com.au/#gen_view_sc1.php?sx=SX12001002
    The Steel Winch Bunper is from the Shogun/Pajero/Montero Mk2.
    The Hidden Winch mount is available from: http://www.tbruk.com/

In my opinion it would be cheaper, stronger and lighter to get a tubular winch bull bar custom made. www.oecinternationsl.com can build high quality, strong, custom winch mounts for your vehicle.

Can I get Protection for the underside of my vehicle?

There is a selection of skid plates available for the Hyundai Terracan Diesel. These are made by ASFIR and can be bought and imported in to the UK via either www.oecinternational.com or www.tbruk.com .

They are not cheap but they are very well made and are very strong. Constructed out of 6mm aluminium, they replace the vehicles original plastic and steel skid plates using the same nut and screw holes.

I want more Articulation out of the Terracan, how can I do this?

You can give the vehicle a suspension Lift, with this you get longer springs and shocks. With the TJM XGS kit that I use I have gained around 2" or 50mm more drop travel. If you want another Inch on the back and on the front then you can shave the bump stops.
    Depending on what tyre size you have on the vehicle when articulating the front might grind away at the wheel arch.
    Some people have removed the front and rear Anti-roll bars to gain maybe another Inch or 25mm. IMO I would leave this well alone, The Anti-roll bars are on there for a reason.

How does my Terracan 4wd system work?

There are two types of transfer case options available on the Hyundai Terracan Models.

The first is the Full time 4wd system. You have 2 settings. Auto and Low. The switch should be in "auto" 99% of the time, dry or wet roads, snow covered roads etc.
    If you are going off road or towing in a field and need low speed traction they you want to move the dial to "Low".

The difference between the two settings is that in "Auto" the vehicle operates sending power to both front and rear axles with the transfer case unlocked.
    When you turn the dial to "Low" This engages the low ratio on the transfer case and automatically locks the centre differential to send the power 50/50 front to rear.

The second type of transfer case available on Terracans is Part Time 4wd. This time the dial has 3 settings. 2wd, 4wd hi and 4wd low. You want your vehicle to be in 2wd 99% of the times unless you are off road.
    On the part time transfer case there is NO centre diff. The front and rear shafts are locked together permanently. When you select "4wd hi" via the dial the vehicle will engage the front wheel hubs. Thus giving you 4wd 50/50 front to rear. This should only be used when traction could be lost in 2wd. Like in fields, or on snow covered roads.
    The last selection is "4wd Low". This is for when maximum control and traction are needed when off road or towing on adverse terrain.

Why wont my Terracan go in to low ratio?

On the part time 4wd system the vehicle will only go in to "low ratio" and disengage from "low ratio" when the vehicle has been stopped and the gear is in Neutral.
    You will have to select "4wd Hi" and allowing the actuator to engage the front hubs before switching to "Low ratio".

Why Is there a loud knocking sound from the front of the vehicle?

One of the most major faults on the Terracan is the knocking sound from the front of the vehicle. This is caused by 3 things, either singly or all together.

Front prop shaft. - This can vibrate when travelling at speeds over 70mph or when going over rough terrain. The solution apply lots of grease to the prop and the grease nipples on it.

Steering wheel column. - This can also make a strange knocking sound when going over rough Terrain. The solution is to lubricate the steering column and the steering shaft in the engine bay.

Suspension Idler: - The most common reason to the front knocking sound. There are many ways to get over this, but the easiest way is just to replace the item. Genuine Hyundai parts. Suspension/steering idler retails around £49.99p

Does my Terracan have a rear LSD?

Some do and some do not. If its a 2.9 Crdi then It will have one. If its a 3.5 petrol its 50/50. If you have the 2.5 crdi engine then no you do not.

If you are unsure find level ground, jack the rear axle up on both sides. Turn one wheel, if the other wheel turns in the same direction then you have the Limited slip diff, if the opposite wheel turns in the opposite direction then you have no LSD. Sorry.

My rear Axle keeps making a funny noise when driving, what is it?

This is a early sign that your rear diff needs servicing. The oil for the LSD needs replacing with the correct type issued in your Vehicle owners guide. If the oil is old, low or of the wrong type then the LSD will not like it and will make a horrible noise. 99% of the time the oil is changed and the problem goes away. If the problem persists, then you have probably waited too long and the rear differential is knackered....

Can I get more power out of the Terracan's Mercedes Benz 2.9 crdi Engine?

You can. The 4 easiest and most reliable ways to do this are:

High Flow Air Filter. - K&N, Greens filters, both these will allow the engine to breath more easy and add a small amount of bhp to the motor. This can be found here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2833

Raised Air Intake: - TJM supply a raised air intake and this allows more are to enter the engine and intercooler over the standard side vent located on the drives side wheel arch. This coupled with the air filter and ECU remap allows a larger amount or torque and BHP and BETTER fuel economy.

SS Exhaust: - Magnaflow. a 2.5 inch or 3 inch ss pipe coupled to a sports catalyst converter and sports silencer will let the fumes escape form the engine quicker. This does have a benefit on the engine bhp and torque but can also hamper the fuel economy.

ECU Remap: - Evolution Tuning, Tunit. Both of these are top of the line ECU upgrades, designed to give your engine more horsepower and alot more torque. The Evolution tuning is not a power chip or a box like the Tunit, it is in fact a ECU remap which I recommend over the power chip. This can be found here: http://www.evolutionchips.co.uk/Car_...ing_Search.asp

I had my Evolution ECU Remap tweaked, to offer minimal BHP increase but maximum torque increase. My Terry is 445nm of torque @ 2000 rmp. over the standard 335nm.

Enjoy.....
    Defender Puma

Need I reply to the whole post? he,hee... Both Mike and I have (if I can remember on your Can Mike) Diff locker front and back as indicated above, Snorkel TJM, Body lift but mine is 75mm, Tyre mine are 275/70/16 Maxxis Muds? Have Maniac protection plates under (just need to get rear Diff sorted) Have winch on Maniac front bumper. Have double swing arms on rear steel bumper, KR135 later and I have forgotten what all I have installed, but hey this was a 5 year project and a hobby for my retirement. I know Terraza and Adolfwolf have similar as you and I, Derek. Can in now for K90 service plus heat prob so expecting a rather large bill, awoooo
    Morton the " BEAST " Berg
    3 Skid plates;75mm lift;275/70/16 Maxxis MT's;Merrit 16”rims;Maxe spots+ night breakers on all lights; Solace protection;TJM snorkel;TJM XGS shocks;TJM coils+Bellows; Maniac front & rear steel bumpers;Spare wheel and 3x Jerry can carriers;Rock sliders;Side awning;Front Runner roof rack; Dual batt system;Procool fridge/freezer;2xGarmin;clinometer;Twin free flow exhaust,Fini comp; ARB independent Airlockers F&B; Winch; Drawer Sys;50Lt Water tank;VHF&29Mhz(2)radios; 8x ss Fish road holders; Safety whip&flag.Future mods,Viper V10or Lex V8 Lumina 6lt

Good to hear from you Morton. 130k service for me this week, going as smooth as ever.
    Defender Puma

Mine on 120k, but replacing the whole of the front suspension parts still haven't resolved my knocking on the front suspension? Why? Left front tyre also running off to the side? Alignment being done every 10 000km?

Replaced the idler arms, pitment arms, pitment box, inner and outer ball joints....getting fed up with it now. Will do the front wheel bearings as they are shod. Do you think that could play a role in the running off to the left of the front tyre?

"Why Is there a loud knocking sound from the front of the vehicle?

One of the most major faults on the Terracan is the knocking sound from the front of the vehicle. This is caused by 3 things, either singly or all together.

Front prop shaft. - This can vibrate when travelling at speeds over 70mph or when going over rough terrain. The solution apply lots of grease to the prop and the grease nipples on it.

Steering wheel column. - This can also make a strange knocking sound when going over rough Terrain. The solution is to lubricate the steering column and the steering shaft in the engine bay.

Suspension Idler: - The most common reason to the front knocking sound. There are many ways to get over this, but the easiest way is just to replace the item. Genuine Hyundai parts. Suspension/steering idler retails around £49.99p"

I also have this knocking coming from the front on my V6 Terrorcan. I decided to get a quote to have it fixed and the quote comes to R11625
    They quoted the following:
    - Ball joint uppers R 2193
    - Ball joint lowers R 2700
    - Links front R 1470
    - Links rear R 1290
    - Bushes stabilizer front R 250
    - Bushes stabilizer rear R 270
    - Idler arm bushes R 164
    - Fitment of parts R 1860

From the info above about the reasons for this knocking this quote seems a bit far fetched
    I will appreciate any info on what have been done by Terracan owners with the same problem to have this resolved.

They do not know where the problem lies, so now they want to change everything remotely related and that is why you get to this price

Willem of Morton, can't he help? 084 549 1998?

Hi Louis, I phoned that number you gave for Willem but the number does not exist.

PM Morton, hy sal jou sommer kan se waar WIllem se shoppie is. Ek het vroer die maand nog met hom gesels, seker omdat dit CellC is

Hi Morton, Please see my post above about the knocking coming from the front and comments from Louis that I should contact Willem. Any contact number for Willem and maybe address of where his shop is. Will appreciate.

Hey die Skim is terug Adolf see your PM bro. Bottom line here which I will share with Family is. Willem's phone was giving probs and cutting off on call forward. He now does freelance for Steve who was he's workshop forman and who has he's own shoppie. You can get them as follows" Steve= 0713365872; willem on 0846662684 or personal 0846015440, good luck mates
    Last edited by Morton Berg; 2012/02/22 at 12:38 PM. Reason: incorrect cell number for Steve
    3 Skid plates;75mm lift;275/70/16 Maxxis MT's;Merrit 16”rims;Maxe spots+ night breakers on all lights; Solace protection;TJM snorkel;TJM XGS shocks;TJM coils+Bellows; Maniac front & rear steel bumpers;Spare wheel and 3x Jerry can carriers;Rock sliders;Side awning;Front Runner roof rack; Dual batt system;Procool fridge/freezer;2xGarmin;clinometer;Twin free flow exhaust,Fini comp; ARB independent Airlockers F&B; Winch; Drawer Sys;50Lt Water tank;VHF&29Mhz(2)radios; 8x ss Fish road holders; Safety whip&flag.Future mods,Viper V10or Lex V8 Lumina 6lt

Hi Mort, thanks for you reply and PM. Also send you a PM. Will contact Steve.
    I love this flying under the radar - aka Skim, wolf or whatever!!

Mmm sounds like German plane coming in from the South West he,hee SSW from where I stay, gonna lay low for a while

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but where would be the best place to get hold of a clutch kit for a Terracan Diesel, and anyone have an idea of how much it goes for?
    Paulo

'12 Ford 3.2 4x4 Auto DC
    '05 Terracan 2.9 CRDi - Wife's daily

Previous
    '07 Discovery TDV6 S - Sold

KMS in Edenvale.011 452 3785

Korean Boys

Sorry have already phoned Korean Motor Spares, but I have a contact and can get the Flywheel and Clutch Kit (Hyundai Parts) at almost half the price.

But that still amounts to R13000, Clutch Kit, Flywheel and Thrust bearing
    Paulo

'12 Ford 3.2 4x4 Auto DC
    '05 Terracan 2.9 CRDi - Wife's daily

Previous
    '07 Discovery TDV6 S - Sold

Trying to help, ouch gonna be sore on wallet

Default Suspension Knock

Hi guys

I also have the dreaded suspension knock, and as I mentioned to LX, I will be working on it this week.
    So, early this am, I removed the stabiliser arm, and the stabiliser links. Both stabiliser links are definitely knackered, and I don't need a pro to tell me that. I am taking them in today to have them reconditioned and will update you later.
    The stabiliser bar removal is quite easy, and I recommend new bushes while you have the bar off.

I was able to remove it working on the ground and without jacking up the car or removing the wheels, however, easier if you have the space to work.

Bernard, post some pics please. You talking about the arm that goes from left to right across the vehicle, not any idler arms or pitman arm etc? Sorry, I'm a layman here.

Many thanks for the helpful info on the Terracan. Mine is now on 120k and has had the dreaded front suspension knock for the last 25k. I have had new TJM shocks fitted, new ball joints fitted, the calipers removed and all brake pieces greased, lubricated the steering bush behind the dash...all to no avail. I now have hope of winning this battle and will certainly follow the advice. Many kilometers of travel in Namibia and Zambia have convinced me of the reliability of this machine; it has never let me down! The knock was getting me down as there is nothing worse than having a problewm and not being able to solve it. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast