Preferred process - Open new thread or build on old thread

Default Preferred process - Open new thread or build on old thread

What is the preferred process.
    Start a new thread on an old subject ie. "What is the best Offroad caravan / trailer" or
    Find the previous thread even though it may be 2 years old and build on it ie. the Dakar 4x4 trailer query in today threads.
    The risk is either someone who is smart enough to refer you to the old thread or someone who is even smarter and tell you the thread is 2 years old.
    Should we not be more positive and actually point the thread author in the right direction and motivate him / her to continue participating instead of undermine the enthusiasm.

Regards
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Hi Mike
    I would think after 2 years trailers have change in size,technology and a lot of brands available and then there is price.Looking at trailers myself would like some input.
    Start a thread, would be interesing to see the coments and products available.

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    What is the preferred process.
    Start a new thread on an old subject ie. "What is the best Offroad caravan / trailer" or
    Find the previous thread even though it may be 2 years old and build on it ie. the Dakar 4x4 trailer query in today threads.
    The risk is either someone who is smart enough to refer you to the old thread or someone who is even smarter and tell you the thread is 2 years old.
    Should we not be more positive and actually point the thread author in the right direction and motivate him / her to continue participating instead of undermine the enthusiasm.
    Regards
    Hi Mike
    Just to clarify, my reply to JDW's question was not meant to sound smart or make him feel silly. JDW directed his question at Gerrie Landman on a thread that is 2 years old to a member with only 6 posts, a fairly common 'mistake' I see a lot of new members make(JDW also only has 9 posts). I was merely implying that he should not expect an answer from Gerrie. My apologies if JDW got the wrong impression.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie Kubu4x4 View Post
    Hi Mike
    Just to clarify, my reply to JDW's question was not meant to sound smart or make him feel silly. JDW directed his question at Gerrie Landman on a thread that is 2 years old to a member with only 6 posts, a fairly common 'mistake' I see a lot of new members make(JDW also only has 9 posts). I was merely implying that he should not expect an answer from Gerrie. My apologies if JDW got the wrong impression.
    Jannie, maybe this is what you should have said and not just "this thread is 2 years old" Then at least me too would not have been under the wrong impression
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Default Open New Thread or build on old

Thanks Jannie for your gracious response. We all sometimes take a short cut.

What I was also eluding to in essence, is sometimes valuable inputs are lost by not referring to an older thread. It may be ok to start a new thread but, at least, refer to the fact that you have scanned the older thread and you still have not come to to conclusion you desire. By this readers will understand that you are not taking a short cut to get an answer that is already available in an older thread. ie. If you add up all the CKGR query threads you would be amazed how many repeats there have been and the CKGR is many many years old and all that changes is the camp change hands and the lions get bolder in entering the camps.

Tank79 there are some excellent threads on trailers. Read them all before you start a thread. I know looking all the trailer threads up will be a MISSION but you will learn alot. Also consider renting before buying. Look at thread comparing ground tents with Trailer top tents as well.

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 types of trailers I would look at and that is the MISSION and SUMMIT EVEREST. Just Google them.

I have also noticed that over time people naturally change there needs. I started travelling just with a bakkie and ground tent, then migrated to a suv and trailer, now my good wife would like a small caravan Imagine or Bush Lapa, We are still undecided thats why reading these postings are so interesting.
    By the way 4x4 ing can be very expense using the shift key spells it out for you $X$.
    Regards
    Last edited by MikevR; 2012/02/18 at 01:46 PM.

maybe if people see a thread has been necro'd should be taught to understand the person who necro'd a thread to ask a question might not be expecting the author to answer but for anyone with knowledge to answer and that the threadnecro is just doing the proper thing and doing a thread search, finding a similar question and asking his variation on the topic question hoping a boffin might see his question and provide an answer.

but to answer the question of the op. i have been on forums for years and have seen both sides of the debate. i have done searches and been told i shouldn't necro old threads but should just make a new one. and i been also told, most recent time was a week or so ago with my fridge question, that i should use search and read what has previously been asked and place my question there if thread doesn't answer my question.

now Dirk is who i would like to read this thread and give a reply, do we use search and necro old threads or would he prefer us to ask new ones even if it has been asked in the past.
    Luke aka Jedi

1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

Default Opening a new thread or build on an old one

Thanks JediNAfrica for your input. I think Dirk is the only one who can really throw light on this query.
    in response to your term 'Necro herewith from internet - I have learnt a new word

Similar to Bump, Necro is a sister term of Bump for reviving really old and inactive topics back to the first page. Depending on the forum, intentional necromancy of a thread that has ended discussion and inacrive for a long time is prohibited. This is also called “necro-trolling”, and more commonly “necroposting”.

What is the time span when it is consider that a thread is being "Necro'ed" Resurecting and old thread with a new one and what is acceptable in terms of time span in building on an old thread i.e. developing more info on CKGR questions instead of regurgitating the same old same old.

Regards
    Last edited by MikevR; 2012/02/18 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Define "Necro"

My preference is new thread specific to your query, I really do not like these long threads, stuff just gets lost in there.

I think a whole new sub section called "Tea Totallers Tavern" is required then the pub can go back to where real men talk and joke !
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Default New thread or build on old

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    My preference is new thread specific to your query, I really do not like these long threads, stuff just gets lost in there.
    Thanks Dirk for your response -
    Last edited by MikevR; 2012/02/19 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Deleted part of note to duncang

Default Mahindra XUV 500 Spares

Good day,

was wondering if anyone have the GUD or Fram part numbers of the air filter, fuel filter & oil filter as well as what it cost?

Regards
    Riaan

Agreed and on that note. Do you think people should put 2SO in their diesel engines ?
    Jeep, there is only one.

Quote Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
    Agreed and on that note. Do you think people should put 2SO in their diesel engines ?
    Jy gaan slae kry
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Fortunately there is a current 2SO thread running. See, I just saved you the time of starting a new thread?
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by riaand2 View Post
    Good day,

was wondering if anyone have the GUD or Fram part numbers of the air filter, fuel filter & oil filter as well as what it cost?

Regards
    Riaan
    waar val jy uit?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    waar val jy uit?

Ag dis te dierbaar. Die ou het nou net my dag gemaak

So all those Prius threads were actually okay all along

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    So all those Prius threads were actually okay all along
    No. Not even one of them...

The big thing is, how did you actually get to that old thread? You asked oom google and he sent you there. That means many, many okes have asked oom google the same question to send you there. If you start a new thread, add a link to the old one - oom google will follow it.

I recently resuscitated (big word after 6 WHs) an old thread and there was immediate interest?

I prefer resurrection. It just keeps all the information in one place.

Also nice to see how things have developed and new solutions and products have solved problems that previously may have been left unresolved.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab