To De Hoop in a Sandero Stepway

Default To De Hoop in a Sandero Stepway

Hi guys,

We want to go to De Hoop in the Richtersveld in a Renault Sandero Stepway. Having never been to the Richtersveld before, I was just wondering how you think we'll do up Akkedis Pass? I hear it can be a bit challenging in a non-4x4.

Thanks a lot,

Alex

I wouldn't

There are a couple of sections which might (actually, that should read WILL) challenge your ground clearance (or lack thereof) and without proper underbody protection you are going to risk damage. in addition standard tyres will take a hammering

It's easy for a Scooby Forester but that is AWD, has good ground clearance and is equipped with reasonable tyres.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2012/02/13 at 11:46 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

No not possible
    Francois

Do not not think you will make it.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Thanks very much for your input guys. The Stepway has a relatively short wheelbase so we're hoping we'll be okay. Apparently it's rained recently, which could make it a bit interesting, but I reckon we'll be okay if we take it easy. Hope so!

You should make it, but do not expect to have no damage to the stepway... You will have to tackle some obstacles with more momentum...
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Parker
    Thanks very much for your input guys. The Stepway has a relatively short wheelbase so we're hoping we'll be okay. Apparently it's rained recently, which could make it a bit interesting, but I reckon we'll be okay if we take it easy. Hope so!
    Are you going with anyone else on this trip. If so are they prepared to play support?

Personally if you live in "hope" I think you are being irresponsible. While everything we do has an element of risk in it we mitigate those risks by driving vehicles properly equipped to deal with the conditions. And yes, we do all occasionally have mishaps. But think of the consequences of your vehicle being badly damaged in the Akkedis Pass or lose two tyres coming into that last kloof coming into De Hoop.

Read up on a couple who came unstuck in a Nissan 4x2.

In my mind it's like an ill-equipped hiker going into the mountains. You might come out unscathed but if you don't you certainly p1ss a few people off.

Sorry if that sounds arrogant but that's the way it is.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

IMHO you would be stupid to attempt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    IMHO you would be stupid to attempt it.
    Yes, maybe, but I have done a few 'stupid' things in life which I am very glad I did....

Rafting from Ai-Ais down the Fish to the Orange River during a flood must rank fairly high on stupid things to do, but it was done, I have the photographs and it was an unbelievable (positive) experience

Go for it, post the photographs, live life on the wild side, we are all too scared to take risks ....
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    Go for it, post the photographs, live life on the wild side, we are all too scared to take risks ....
    Nope, there's a bunch of us on this forum who take risks all the time. But we take calculated risks. This one wouldn't be calculated, it would just inconvenience a bunch of other people who have better things to do with their spare time than go and fetch a Renault Sandero from the Richtersveld.

Alex - I live 100km from Akkedis pass, if you have trouble, call me on your satellite phone , I will gladly assist....
    I still think it is possible in the Stepway as long as you accept that you may pick up some damage as it is not really designed for this type of terrain. I think one of the most difficult sections is a steep rocky climb when you leave De Hoop (about 1 km from the river) - this is a s-bend with some deep holes. A front wheel drive vehicle (even with enough ground clearance) will struggle up this one. Make friends with someone at de hoop with a 4x4 and ask them to be on call to pull you over this one.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab