echo 3 trailer

Thread: echo 3 trailer

savimbi Guest

Default echo 3 trailer

help needed please!!!
    want to rig my new echo 3 any help or ideas
    ta
    SaViMbi

Congatulations Savimbi - good choice!!!! Hope you will have lots of good trips with your Echo.

A few things from my side (and I must say I don't know the 3 very well - we have a 2):

1 - Get yourself a big groundsheet (make it in 2 parts) on which you pitch the tent and which is big enough to cover the ground under the veranda
    2 - Put the big trailer tent on - not only for more space inside the tent but for the all-in-1 veranda
    3 - if you take a shower don't take a unit that is fixed in the trailer (take the shower cubical - I am referring to the sower itself). Sometimes you get to places where there is a shower unit but no shower then you can put your shower next to it - if its fixed you are fixed....
    4 - close the jerry can holders on the sides with checkered plate - we never use them for jerry cans but to put fire wood in, its a very nice place to put wet ground sheets in, even your dirty clothes...
    5 - If I remember correctly the 3 has a 100 lt water tank fitted? I reccomend strongly not to put more heavy stuff like fuel or more water on the trailer - keep it as light as possible - it will last longer and tow much easier. We put all our food, fridges, fuel & extra water on the vehicle
    6 - if the pull-out drawers inside the loadbin is an option - take it. You will be much more organised with it
    7 - if possible put your fridge in the car but an extra battery in the trailer for the waterpump, lights (add the lights as well) and for the fridge if you are stationary for a few days
    8- take the stone protector for the front side from day 1 - it works (not for the trailer but for protecting the car)!!
    9 - our trailer do not have shocks or brakes - after 7 years I still don't think its neccesary - rather spend this money on something else
    10 - get a routine - it is very important that you and your wife/children "practise" a routine for camping with the trailer - by doing it like this you will end up almost pitching and breaking down camp in the same time others will take with, f e, a caravaan (this also minimise conflict situations that is unfortunately ever present with setting up camp)
    11 - if you drive in off-road conditions and you look in the mirror at the trailer: don't be worried about what you see... it only looks as if the trailer wants to either overturn or overtake - it won't happen!!! (unless you are really a rally driver)

My 2c worth
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

I have a Bush Baby but a lot of the mods are thes same.
    1. Groundsheet - They tend to be heavy so I use a grounsheet for the veranda but 1st I put down a piece of shadenetting under the trailer,tent and veranda. The netting is a lot lighter than the grounsheet.
    2. I agree on the routine. To unpack the trailer when we get home takes a matter of minutes and I try and wash it immediatley. When you put it off it just makes the job harder to do.
    3. Pitch youre tent regularly, especially when you are not using the trailer for a while. You'll be suprosed how much damp collects in a closed and packed tent.
    4. I keep an inventory of everything packed for trips. If an item was not used 3 times in a row, leave it at home. You will be surprised how much junk you carry around and never use.
    5. I used plastic netting (they sell it at the coop) to close up my jerrycan holders. Also carry woord in it. Just used cable ties to attch it to the holder
    Johann Bredell

I use mothballs in my tents when packed away no dampness no smell
    2003 COLT RODEO 2.8TDI BRACKENFELL CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA 1300 Tazz vir Liewe Heksie

Oh yes I almost forget to mention the most important thing - Check the wheel bearings regularly. I add grease at least once a year and had to replace 2 bearings in the 7 years we had the trailer.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

I also have the Echo 3 but I did a few changes:

- I did not opt for the 100lt water tank. It just adds to the weight and you can put water in the jerry cans if required.

- I had the sparewheel mounted on the back (like the Echo 4) and a nose cone in the front. I put all my pots, pans, driepoot, cadac skottle etc. in the front.

- I have the ground sheets but never used them once.

- Get the fitted kitchen and mould. I thought the R3000 for the kitchen utensils was a bit much. I had all the plates, knives forks etc already. Don't spend a wack on these things as they do sometimes break or go missing. Our kitchen stuff is a mix and match setup.

- Get the 4 drawer system at the back. It's nice to keep food and chemical stuff apart and you can pack it according to priority and how often you need to get to stuff. Put the coffee, sugar etc. on the kitchen side and put cleaning stuff for eg. on the tent side.

- I added the table rack under the tent for an additional table. If you are camping for a number of days and you are a few people you always need another table, or the kids can use it to play games etc.

- I have the extra kitchen awning. It adds a lot of shaded area and takes 5 mins longer to pitch.

How about some pics when in the bush/camp.

I'd love to get me one of those.
    Last edited by Shareef; 2007/07/02 at 03:45 PM.

Our December2006 holiday to Yellowsands Eastern Cape
    Bush Baby with Echo T-Top tent and Kitchen area
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wazza,

What does wind do to your tent with the added kitchen awning?
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

savimbi Guest

Default Many Thanks!!!

Can see that there is plenty campers willing to help or give advise
    thanks again!!!
    SaViMbi

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Grobler View Post
    Wazza,

What does wind do to your tent with the added kitchen awning?
    Willem,

I have not noticed the difference as I have always had the awning on and never used the trailer without it. The rig is very stable in the wind. The only issue I had once was when I had the side panels up. When the wind blew it tore apart the velcro on the join between the side panel and awning. When the wind stopped I just pressed the velcro together again.