Default Some assistance please .... buying a Pajero.

I am looking at Selling my Triton 2010 3.2 DBL cab 4x4 and looking at buying a 2003 3.5v6 Pajero SWB. My Triton has 68 000km on the clock and the Pajero 240 000km.

The reasons for selling are multiple. Having just started my own business I would like to decrease costs a little. Having the Pajero saves me R700 on insurance. Work being less than 7 km's from home means little travelling and it may cost a little more to run the petrol over my DiD specially in the first few months as the Triton still has 2 or 3 services left.

My main reason is that I managed to pay off my Triton cash a few months ago and now would like to inject some cash into my new venture. The 2nd hand dealer is willing to give me R249 000.00 for the Triton and the Pajero is going for R159 000.00.

I have chatted with the used car dealers at Mitsubishi East Rand and they say financially it is a decent deal.

However my concern is selling my reliable Triton and buying an unknown Pajero. There is no service history in the vehicle but the motor sounds smooth and healthy (altho I am no Mechanic). I have not driven it as yet but am planning on going for a spin this week coming.

The Pajero seems 100% standard and well looked after. It has just been driven from George to JHB with no issues by the dealers driver. On Board Computer said consumption was at 16.3l/100km so assuming he didn't give it horns on the drive.

Any telltale signs to watch on these vehicles? Are they easy to lift the suspension and perhaps the body as I do enjoy going off road specially to some of the local off road tracks.

Some input would be greatly appreciated. I can't decide whether I am doing a silly thing here or just getting another prime example of Mitsubishi fabulous design and engineering.

Try the guys on the Pajero club, www.pajeroclub.co.za

Sure you will find all the right answer there.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Before I bought the shorty two weeks ago I paid the R550 for the Dekra AA report. They found every little problem on it and gave me a 9 page report. Nothing serious was found, so I bought it the next day I consider it money very well spent (just in case there is a issue)
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Thanks Thabogrobler will go check it out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JhbDarrel30 View Post
    I am looking at Selling my Triton 2010 3.2 DBL cab 4x4 and looking at buying a 2003 3.5v6 Pajero SWB. My Triton has 68 000km on the clock and the Pajero 240 000km.

The reasons for selling are multiple. Having just started my own business I would like to decrease costs a little. Having the Pajero saves me R700 on insurance. Work being less than 7 km's from home means little travelling and it may cost a little more to run the petrol over my DiD specially in the first few months as the Triton still has 2 or 3 services left.

My main reason is that I managed to pay off my Triton cash a few months ago and now would like to inject some cash into my new venture. The 2nd hand dealer is willing to give me R249 000.00 for the Triton and the Pajero is going for R159 000.00.

I have chatted with the used car dealers at Mitsubishi East Rand and they say financially it is a decent deal. For a dealer it is an excellent deal.

However my concern is selling my reliable Triton and buying an unknown Pajero. There is no service history in the vehicle but the motor sounds smooth and healthy (altho I am no Mechanic). I have not driven it as yet but am planning on going for a spin this week coming.

The Pajero seems 100% standard and well looked after. It has just been driven from George to JHB with no issues by the dealers driver. On Board Computer said consumption was at 16.3l/100km so assuming he didn't give it horns on the drive.

Any telltale signs to watch on these vehicles? Are they easy to lift the suspension and perhaps the body as I do enjoy going off road specially to some of the local off road tracks.

Some input would be greatly appreciated. I can't decide whether I am doing a silly thing here or just getting another prime example of Mitsubishi fabulous design and engineering.
    So you want to trade an almost brand new car, almost certainly with a valid guarantee and possibly with still a service/maintenance plan, that is economical and reliable and is paid off.

FOR

A decade old petrol gas guzzler, with no recent service records or history, and very high mileage.

One year from now, between service/maintenance/repair costs, and low retained value you will have lost that R100K and quite a bit more, and now have an even older car that will need to be replaced much sooner than the Triton would have been needed to be replaced..

Please find another way to fund that R100K for your venture.

Seriously think carefully.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Thanks pblauw I just saw your post now. Congrats on your new vehicle. Looks great!

Thanks Keith for your opinion. This indeed is a concern, besides I do really love my Triton. Unfortunately the banks are not interested in my venture.

I am in exactly the same boat.I want to save bucks and try pay my house off in the next 5 years,but i cant get past selling my new triton for a old vehicle.Its really a hard decision to make.Dont look at vehicles from the coast.I have had 2 bad experiences now with old coastal vehicles.If you are very serious about doing this I know a guy here in Bloem selling his 3.2 paj with 220k on for around R150k,and it is still in very good nick.He drives it daily.New injectors etc.Pm me and i will send his details.At least you will know the cars history and it sips fuel compared to the petrol models.Good luck

Darrel, I would look around a bit more, mileage is a bit on the high side for the price, this one sounds a bit on the expensive side though, so they are out there. Here is one recently posted on Pajeroclub http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/vi...hp?f=44&t=3513

There are a few recent posts on there of a few nice Paj so have a look.
    Last edited by Davidvan; 2012/02/04 at 07:25 AM.

Going there, doing that.....There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.....so leave NOW!

Gen2 pajeros are made like tanks and if you can do a bit of DIY they are cheap to maintain. If you buy one thats been looked after (thats the key here) then it will give you at least another 240000 km if you look after it.

JhbDarrel30,

In my opinion is R159k for a 2002 3.5 SWB out of line. My previous car, a 2006 3.8V6 SWB (with 90k on the clock and full service history) was sold at a dealer for R175k a few weeks ago.

If you want to boost your venture, buy a small economical car now and trade up to a nice 4x4 when your venture starts dripping money.

Roelfle I use the 4x4 quite often for work hence my need to stick with one. I am a photographer and having the 4x4 allows me to get to locations that others cant get too for my outdoor work. It is an edge that I have over my competitors.

Marius I have looked at numerous Gen2's but haven't seen any in decent condition. Besides which I am ok at working with my hands but don't know if I would be able to work too much on the vehicle.

David thanks a stack I have just mailed Werner now.

Mr G you have mail.