The 'Should've packed' list

loosetentpegs Guest

Post The 'Should've packed' list

Got back late last month from 6 weeks in Southern Africa. It was our first proper overland and I made a note of things I should have packed through general life around the camp and taking note of other people's rigs. Thought it might come in handy so here is the list:

• Longer extension cord (mine was 3m, you need as long as you can get!)
    • A decent packing system, preferably drawer system just makes life so much easier, really worth the investment!
    • Separate fridge / freezer set up - I Used the Indel B 55l - what a fridge! you can get away with setting it to freeze and using the small top compartment for fridge purposes as it does not get nearly as cold as the baskets)
    • Small cooler box with ice pack for medications
    • Large spade (schoolboy error, left mine at home!)
    • Brackets for Jerry Cans and Gas Canisters (tying them in the bin never really worked on bumpy roads)
    • Natural Mozzie cream (am convinced peaceful sleep made us sick and chatted to others who felt the same - stuff is poison!)
    • Big Torch (another schoolboy error)
    • Back Gammon and Uno is all you need (we took to many games)
    • Awning of the car
    • easy access table rigged onto the vehicle
    • Maps specific to the country on top of the GPS (great to get geography right)
    • S hooks to hang stuff off gazebo's etc
    • Longer bungee cords - great for washing lines etc
    • A box for firewood
    • Water container - as big as possible
    • Braai grid with legs (saw some nice ones being used as wheel covers)
    • way less clothes...

Lastly, overall I would do less distance with more time... we did 8000km. I now have a great idea of how this all works and will be planning my next trip soon - will post a trip report and pics.

Cheers!

From our recent trip - the "essentials for next trip" list"

1. Garden secateurs for trimming thorn branches.
    2. Feather duster.
    3. Wild bird seed for attracting birds to the camp.
    4. Bag of elastic bands to temporarily wrap loose cables.

Things that we had that made it onto the "Brilliant stuff" list:

1. Atomiser spray bottles for cooling off and hand washing.
    2. Werda salads in a box (Pick n Pay)
    3. Weather station - temp, humidity and barometer
    4. Leather gloves for everything.
    5. Plenty of Ziploc bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    From our recent trip - the "essentials for next trip" list"
    1. Garden secateurs for trimming thorn branches.
    2. Feather duster.
    3. Wild bird seed for attracting birds to the camp.
    4. Bag of elastic bands to temporarily wrap loose cables.
    Things that we had that made it onto the "Brilliant stuff" list:
    1. Atomiser spray bottles for cooling off and hand washing.
    2. Werda salads in a box (Pick n Pay)
    3. Weather station - temp, humidity and barometer
    4. Leather gloves for everything.
    5. Plenty of Ziploc bags.
    Tony, point 3.Is this wise? Birds, like all wild animals, adapt their behavior quickly
    And we have been pestered by mossies at De Hoop that come and steal your rusks off the table, not to talk of the "neus horings" in the Kruger.

Never mind that list. That's far less important than the "Didn't use it, so it stays behind" list.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Some good advice here and all of you are right. And all of you are wrong! Overlanding is all about what suits YOU. Some guys like Mike prefer to take next to nothing with them, others take the whole house! What suits you is what suits you. A silly example is Tony recommending the werda salads. I hate them!!! But that is my personal taste.... So find what works, write it down - as you have, and remember it for next time!
    2016 Isuzu KB 250 d/c + Bush-Trotter Bosvark
    2013 Mitsubishi ASX Swambo's broom
    Ex: Hilux D/C; Daihatsu Terios; Jeep Cherokee XJ, Renault Koleos, Suzuki Grand Vitara + Challenger wilderness trailer + Sprite Escape converted for gravel roading, Suzuki SX4
    I think, therefore I am..... I think?!?

Lighter fluid ( for the Cobb lighter), Ziplocs, and then some more ! Toolbox ( which I forgot), extra cutlery ( for when we are too tired to wash up and still looking for more). I've already added this to my van after the last trip.
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Overlander
    2014 Range Rover Evoque 2.2 D
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Tony - I've given up on the birdseed! I guess it's OK when there are no monkey's about, but they can become a helluva nuisance once they find it.
    Maybe I've been unlucky but I've stopped.
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 SE

"Life without adventure is no life at all"

Hi Barnie and Alan,
    Barnie, we use it very judiciously and in small quantities. It keeps birds away from our food as well. Alan, we don't use it anywhere with monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Never mind that list. That's far less important than the "Didn't use it, so it stays behind" list.
    Mike
    By mistake this time around we packed a potato masher. We'll also never again travel with one of those plastic egg boxes - they're always smaller than the eggs, and the cardboard ones work as well, and they burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Hi Barnie and Alan,
    Barnie, we use it very judiciously and in small quantities. It keeps birds away from our food as well. Alan, we don't use it anywhere with monkeys.
    No problem Tony, just my view. It would be interesting to know and it has probably been talked about elsewhere, what type of shower and toilet facilities would be reckoned as bare necessities and what one can do without, each to his own of course.I only have experience of up to three week trips, with two weeks not touching "civilization".
    Last edited by BarnieH; 2012/02/02 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver

By mistake this time around we packed a potato masher. We'll also never again travel with one of those plastic egg boxes - they're always smaller than the eggs, and the cardboard ones work as well, and they burn.
    The cardboard egg holders with a tiny bit of cooking oil in each compartment (allowed to soak in), also make an excellent fire lighter in a bind.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    No problem Tony, just my view. It would be interesting to know and it has probably been talked about elsewhere, what type of shower and toilet facilities would be reckoned as bare necessities and what one can do without, each to his own of course.I only have experience of up to three week trips, with two weeks not touching "civilization".
    Barnie, on remote trips where there is a water problem, we bathe in less than a cup of water each a day using a face cloth. Works remarkably well, and when you do find extra water, splash out, so to speak. We don't carry any kind of shower, we have a collapsible PVC bucket that works fine for a canary bath. Toilet wise it's a hand trowel and burn the toilet paper if it is safe to do so, if it isn't safe, seal it in a Ziploc bag until it is safe to burn it. Hyenas, jackals etc will dig up any buried paper and make a mess.