Jeep Builds

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Builds

Default Jeep Builds

In 2007 I bought a 2003 TJ Sport for R140k with 21k on the clock.

It already had 2" OME Medium Duty coil lift, tube bumper front and back, BFG 33x12.5x15 on 10Jrims. Sport has no aircon, and only has a soft top.

So the mods started - had some serious rubbing at full lock and articulation.

Body lift - 2inches
    Suspesion 2.5 OME HD Coils (dont ask me why if I look back now it was a waste of cash)
    Snorkel
    Bushwackers (If you going to go big I would rather go the flat fenders or look at something like metal cloak / poison spyder.)

Then it was Throttle Body Spacer, increase diameter, freeflow..... in all about 12% increase in power.

One of the best mods I ever did was change the ratio to 4.56 - superior axle gears.

SYE kit rough country with rear propshaft made up locally to stop the vibrations from the rear pop and to remove the spacers on the bellyplate. (transfer case can be lifted again).

So in begining of 2010 it was time for new tyres the BFG gave me good service I decided to get some Dick Cepek Crushers 33 x 12.5 x 15 also one of the best decisions I made they are just awesome in the mud and sand and I have yet to have a debead and I run 0.4 / 0.3 with no beadlocks.

In 2011 after my exams I had a bit more time and mula on my hands and myself and XJJ managed to bend the old tube bumper at dirt and dust the following was done....

Metal cloak front fenders
    Maniac stubby front + stinger
    PS Bonnet Vents

At present the little TJ is in for the next step in the slowly growing up of the TJ....

On route
    Poison Spyder rear fender
    Custom rear bumper + rock knockers
    4" lift kit
    Currie steering upgrade
    ZJ power steering box

In the near future
    35's
    Rear Axle Move
    4link rear suspension

More into the distance
    ARB locker back
    Dana 44 front

How does one pay for all this........ a aunt that leaves you loads of mula is always great otherwise start small - everything doesn't always have to be new (got the 4" coils for a great price) - wait for specials and rather safe up and buy once than 3 times.

My advice to anyone that wants to mod there little Jeep is to realise that if you change something you might end up having to spend a bit more due the effect of the lift or bigger tyres so budget appropriately example Big tyres might mean a gear ratio change or lift kit might equal SYE kit so ask the questions before just taking the plunge.

But most of all enjoy the build!

A few pics.... of the Jeep Evolution

XJJ, Apoc, Andrew, DVR, WHH, Gorman, Andre, Green Disco...... maybe you guys can share your experiences as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8732_100417166643468_100000255552141_8127_7658766_n.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	130574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8732_101225723229279_100000255552141_32057_1066817_n.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	130575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180649_192724247412759_100000255552141_638190_5740576_n.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	130576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	249308_1716157664833_1264951271_2730059_721176_n.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	130577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	262639_232429130108937_100000255552141_882188_7779751_n.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	130578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	313201_304426769575839_100000255552141_1146004_683484697_n.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	130579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	320205_286345088050674_100000255552141_1083615_1565222836_n.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	130580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep TJ 001.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	130581  

Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

Jacques, I think your little TJ is a little further down the modification road than my new jeep or my old one!!!

what I like is the evolution. it's all done for a reason, with experience.

and the only thing you ever think once you've finished adding something is DAMN!!! why didn't I put the bigger one on?

I reckon Neil's XJ is approaching the level of mods you have - but I don't think they were quite as intentional!!!
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2012/02/01 at 05:53 PM.

I totally agree Gunhog! Builders must decide what they want as an end result, then get advice, then confirm that that is what they really want to do. It really burns to spend money twice, i.e. never buy what you can afford now, rather save for the right thing later.

It also helps to have a wife that has absolutely no idea of what your ultimate goal is . This is deadly & will prevent you from getting much done. So work strategically & with stealth - We can start a thread dedicated to tactics & strategy .

Gunhog - it has been a pleasure watching your Rig transform into the formidable machine that it is, & going to be. 8)
    Last edited by XJ Junkie; 2012/02/01 at 06:19 PM.

XJJ maybe a short writeup of the XJ and the routes you will go again and some lessons learnt.

Agree keep swambo half ignorant is key.

Nice Gunhog, 2 questions, 1) the tyres in the last couple of pics, are they the DC Crushers? Do you use the car on road as well? what milage do have on them now? 2) The throttlebody spacer, is it worth installing with the stroker kit I have in already?
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Quote Originally Posted by gunhog View Post
    XJJ maybe a short writeup of the XJ and the routes you will go again and some lessons learnt.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Benphala View Post
    Nice Gunhog, 2 questions, 1) the tyres in the last couple of pics, are they the DC Crushers? Do you use the car on road as well? what milage do have on them now? 2) The throttlebody spacer, is it worth installing with the stroker kit I have in already?
    Yep use it on mainly short trips about 16000km on them say about 20% wear - the weight of the wrangler helps Apoc got about 40k out of his but that was on the unlimited. I would say mine can go at least another 40k.

The only other tyre I would consider is another set but BIGGER.....

Ben convinced it would not make a noticible difference (TB Spacer) but its not a budget breaker..... tell the swambo you won it or something.

They going to be in the market soon..... or let me put it this way if I can get R1500 per tyre neg (spare only has 7.5k on them) the 35's will be here in a week. as you can see they are looking a bit small currently.

PS Ben tell the Jeepers about the stroker ect....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1) They going to be in the market soon..... or let me put it this way if I can get R1500 per tyre neg (spare only has 7.5k on them) the 35's will be here in a week. as you can see they are looking a bit small currently.

2) PS Ben tell the Jeepers about the stroker ect....
    GH, 1) I just wanted to know what k's they can give, I still have quite a bit of life left in my Kumho's, but looking at what next!
    2) What do you want me to tell them? I bought it installed, with freeflo and chip = 290Nm vs 383Nm
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Benphala View Post
    GH, 1) I just wanted to know what k's they can give, I still have quite a bit of life left in my Kumho's, but looking at what next!
    2) What do you want me to tell them? I bought it installed, with freeflo and chip = 290Nm vs 383Nm
    Ben I would say on the TJ you would easy get 60k, if you just do on road then I would not buy them - heavier vehicles probably less.

290vs383 I agree not much more to say - who did the stroker? ect......

I like the idea of a build thread.

There are so many pictures of Jeeps available on the net that you should have an idea of what you want/need before you start your build.

Before you start your build decide how far you want to take it. I know this sounds stupid as big is never big enough.

With my JK's I have been lucky with my different builds as I have managed to sell all the old parts which were replaced by bigger, newer, cooler parts. No, you never get all your money back but it does help.

With the Gladiator I am building, I had a clear picture of what I wanted from day one. The V8 and 40" tyres were my first purchase and the rest of the vehicle will be built around those.

Don't get me wrong, I have made mistakes and bought stuff on a whim that does not fit into the plan any more. Luckily these were smallish items that will have to be sacrificed for the good of the build.

The best advice is not to rush into a build and try have a contingency plan, like if the lift is not big enough for your new tyres, you could always keep the lift and add a body lift or flat fenders. There are solutions to most problems.

Remember, keep it fun.

290vs383 I agree not much more to say - who did the stroker? ect......
    I have no idea GH, I bought it in George in 2009 with the mod already done, if you really want I can try and get hold of the place where I bought it from, they should know who did it as it was the owners car.
    Ben

Great idea gunhog! I'll add to this ... might take a while to explain all the mods though

In 2010 a mate and myself decided we were done breaking our daily drives in local competitions and buggy parks so we decided to purchase a dedicated challenge vehicle.

We looked around at various vehicles and after much deliberation the TJ was by far the best option purely because of the ease of modding! (not to mention they are just slightly capable )

I bought a 2005 Sport with 104k on the clock, no aircon and has a 6 speed manual box with the following extras:

3" body lift
    Bushwacker body kit
    Bushwacker flares
    4.56 ratios
    33" BFG AT's on 16" alloys
    Terrible bling

The BFG AT's aren't a great tyre IMO so we opted for 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Crawl's on a 15" alloy. What a fantastic tyre! In hindsight I should have gone for a steely from word go, they are just that much easier to work with down the line!

I then sent her in to have a snorkel fitted for safety sake as well as front and rear lockers. At the time I couldn't stomach the sheer price of the ARB so I put the Aussie lockers in the front and rear, they are permanent lockers... Not ideal, especially for the front axle! The turning circle was affected badly!

She did perform like a machine with double lockers though!

I then removed all the interior carpeting for ease of cleaning and fitted a set of bucket seats with 4 point harnesses. These are a pre-requisite for our challenge class.

Now after fitting the 35” wheels the tyres were catching on the control arms in the front and chaffing quite a lot on the fender flares under compression both front and back so we needed to now do the suspension modification ASAP!

The Zone Offroad 4” Kit was the way to go.

After a Top-Truck event we decided it was now time to give young betty a facelift ... she was in desperate need of some safety wear!! A couple too many close rollovers.

We took her off to M & P Fabricators where the work was scheduled to start. These guys have done amazing work on some of the rigs running Top-Trucks as well as Nationals and after chatting to Mark constantly he said they had a gap and would help us out. Now kudos to Mark and Peter because I didn't exactly give them much time to get her ready ... I needed her 10 days later for the first National of the year. There was a SH#T LOAD of work to be done!

The first step was to remove the 3" body lift, machine the spacers down to 1" and reinstall them.

The next step was to fabricate and fit the rock sliders which would form the platform for the exo-skeleton along with the stinger bar on the front.

Now while all this was going on I was in search of a front right side shaft as we had broken it again ... this time at Top-Trucks the weekend before. Funny enough we only found this out when loading it once back home. The permanent locker up front puts a huge amount of strain on the front Dana 30!!

I eventually found a new side shaft after searching all the scrap yards for a 2nd hand one without luck.

We went through to the shop on the Friday late afternoon the day before the Nationals to finish off the last few things that needed to be done to the cage ... like painting it

We finished up at about 11pm and headed off home to do some final tweaks, adjustments and diff oil as the next morning we needed to head off before 6am to get to the event.

Here are some pics of the complete Exo-skeleton. A beast of a cage!

And as you can see ... the cage was put to use straight away! The paint hadn't even dried ... Mark did say that my paint warranty was now null and void

The next mod had been in planning for a while but was forced upon me due to another front diff failure. This time the pinion bearing collapsed and wrecked the crown wheel and pinion. The Dana 44 now had to come quickly!

While the diff was being built I decided to tackle the doors. I removed the half doors and used some steam pipe to make my own pipe doors. This helps with visibility immensely!

So the dana 44 was ready in time ... only just!

We received the diff on the Wednesday before we were to travel to Dbn on the Friday and begun fitting it.

The plan was to take it to M&P to have the brackets fabbed properly before we fit the diff but time was against us and I couldn't put Mark under pressure like that again!

We had to remove all the brackets from the Dana 30 diff and weld them onto the Dana 44 diff. This included the upper and lower control arm brackets along with the coil perch's etc.

The reason for this is that the old brackets (read OE RUBBISH!) just cant handle the amount of abuse we've been dishing out. They look like scrap metal they so buckled and twisted, I straightened and welded them onto the new 44.

I thought I'd put a quick list together of what is needed if anyone wishes to go down this road.

Now nothing is ever as easy as it seems, trust me

The Dana 44 casing comes from a Ford F250 which has a wider track than the TJ, therefore it needed to be shortened. I'm not 100% sure of the exact dimensions but it was in the region of 2" wider. I requested that it be left 1" wider than the stock Dana 30 to give us a wider track in the front.

The side shaft inner portion needed to be changed as the internals require a 30 spline shaft.

The outer portion of the side shafts along with the entire brake caliper and housing from the Dana 30 were removed and paired with the new 30 spline inner's and Dana 44 casing.

We also changed the cir-clips on the universal to 'full circle clips' so that at full lock with the locker on it doesn't simply open the joint up like a tin can. Which has happened a few times now, totally destroying the inner and outer shafts! This gets friggin expensive.

We changed the ratios to a 4.56 so as to match the rear diff ratio along with fitting a LSD in the interim till the ARB arrives.

Now due to the wider track along with 5" lift the brake hoses are way too short. We had 150mm extensions made and fitted them.

The track rod was also too short because of the extra width so I made up a relocation bracket so that the diff was brought back into alignment. This will also be made a lot stronger once we have the remainder of the brackets fabricated.

Due to the larger diff housing the front prop shaft was too long as well, this needed to be shortened by 50mm.

The standard front wheel arches and flares were by this stage a total mess so I decided to covert them to a flat style fender. I simply cut the OE fender as shown below. I don't need any support on these as the cage is there to protect all the flimsy material. It's functional and looks better than the stock ones I think.

Here are some current pictures, on the 'mobile home' ... the trailer

After turning many a rear prop off and breaking the tiny little sadles I decided to make a change at the rear. DVR has a great solution so we went about customising the rear prop.

DVR used a Double Cardan off of a Cherokee and fabricated a drive shaft flange to replace the terrible OE UJ saddles on the rear diff.

While all of this was going on DVR junior fitted the shiny new SYE which Bad Santa was kind enough to organise for me.

Here some pics of the finished product

Here is a decent action shot!

As she stands now here are her specs:
    4" Zone lift
    1" body lift
    BDS adjustable upper CA's
    Custom rear adjustable CA's
    35x13.5x15 Baja Claw Bias Ply
    Exo
    Dana 44 rear Locked ARB
    Dana 44 front with LSD
    G2 Ring & Pinion 4.56 gears
    Rugged ridge radiator
    Custom steering
    Throttle Body Spacer
    SYE
    Custom Flange & Double Cardan Joint Rear propshaft
    Lifted belly plate
    Aluminium Fuel cell in load bin
    Hip-bar
    ARB's

Things that are in the pipeline:
    Rear axle stretch
    4 link rear
    bead locks

As the others have mentioned, you need to plan carefully so you don't buy twice! Also make sure you decide what you modding for...

Cheers,
    GD

Name:	Jeep 15..JPG 
Views:	3422 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	130852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep 16..jpg 
Views:	1587 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	130853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0052..JPG 
Views:	3385 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	130854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053..JPG 
Views:	1557 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	130855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0055..JPG 
Views:	3343 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	130856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080..JPG 
Views:	3220 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	130857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085..JPG 
Views:	3191 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	130858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0154..jpg 
Views:	3262 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	130859  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocksliders..jpg 
Views:	3379 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	130862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stinger bar..jpg 
Views:	1502 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	130863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0649..jpg 
Views:	3593 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	130864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0658..jpg 
Views:	3410 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	130865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSA Pretoria Chal&#1 (1).jpg 
Views:	3305 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	130867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSA Pretoria Chal&#1 (2).jpg 
Views:	3548 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	130868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSA Pretoria Chal&#1.jpg 
Views:	3425 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	130869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSA Pretoria Chal&#1 (3).jpg 
Views:	3111 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	130870  

Name:	IMG00017-20110510-1&.jpg 
Views:	3824 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	130872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00019-20110510-1&.jpg 
Views:	3860 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	130873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00020-20110512-1&.jpg 
Views:	3098 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	130874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00021-20110512-1&.jpg 
Views:	3107 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	130875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3148.JPG 
Views:	3042 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	130876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3149.jpg 
Views:	3084 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	130877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20111129-00006.jpg 
Views:	1730 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	130878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20111129-00008.jpg 
Views:	1711 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	130879  

Name:	IMG-20111129-00009.jpg 
Views:	1420 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	130880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20111129-00010.jpg 
Views:	1419 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	130881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20111024-00092.jpg 
Views:	1662 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	130882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20111028-00124.jpg 
Views:	1671 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	130883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2438.JPG 
Views:	3068 
Size:	321.0 KB 
ID:	130884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2446.JPG 
Views:	3070 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	130885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CSN_3588_Mike Wanliss_A4.jpg 
Views:	2969 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	130886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRANGLER SYE 011.jpg 
Views:	2247 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	169754  

Name:	WRANGLER SYE 014.jpg 
Views:	2439 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	169755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRANGLER SYE 002.jpg 
Views:	2289 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	169756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00022-20100302-1&.jpg 
Views:	2262 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	207416  
    Last edited by GreenDisco; 2013/10/30 at 11:33 AM.
    Mike

Thanks to:
    M&P Fabworx
    Zone Offroad

TJ Evolution - Jeep Builds - Overland Blog

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what its wants!"

Wow awesome rigs guys, this thread is taking up my patience for building up my rig...
    '92 4.0 XJ

Just Enough Essential Parts

‎=====o00o_
    //___|__,\____\,__
    |_---\____|---[]|||||[] ]

(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks for the write-up GD & some great pix! Good luck for the season 8)

Gunhog, did you see this?.........Paarl Brickyard = nearly

Thanks XJJ! Good luck to the two of you too, sure you'll clean up! Gunhog's Jeep is looking fawking amazing!

That little rollover was intentionally on purpose , I was getting bored with the track layout that day and thought the spectators needed something to cheer about. It cost us 1st place though it was even more fun trying to drive her on her doors ... till the tyre de-beaded

I'm sure I drove better before the cage ...
    Mike

Thanks to:
    M&P Fabworx
    Zone Offroad

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDisco View Post
    Thanks XJJ! Good luck to the two of you too, sure you'll clean up! Gunhog's Jeep is looking fawking amazing!
    That little rollover was intentionally on purpose , I was getting bored with the track layout that day and thought the spectators needed something to cheer about.
    We were nearly in a similar situation, balancing at a horrible angle, so Gunhog asks me 'so what do you think'. I said 'your the one with the go peddle'

it was even more fun trying to drive her on her doors ... till the tyre de-beaded
    CLASSIC!!! 8)

its the go pedal that chucked us over
    Mike

Thanks to:
    M&P Fabworx
    Zone Offroad

its the go pedal that chucked us over
    Spectators loved this.... wish I could get a PHOTO from the front notice the air under the drivers tyre..... XJJ was making "gigling" noises next to me always a good sign for photo's

PS XJJ your seat is in....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

..... XJJ was making "gigling" noises
    That was just nervous tension

PS XJJ your seat is in....
    Its in! But Mark was busy so I didn't nag him about adjusting it.

Little update

4" procomp hybrid BDS kit is in
    steering damper bracket moved and strenghened
    currie tie rod in
    rock knockers are on
    bracket for the trackbar on the backet is on
    fuel tank into the cab - relocation done - if anyone wants to do this just speak to Mark before going ahead - the fuel pump ect... all in the tank.

So last few bits that need doing is the rear lower shock mounts need to be moved and the exhaust needs a quick mod to take it out of harms way.... spent 3hours with Mark yesterday nice to see someone take the time and effort.

PS XJJ thanks for those rear shocks we could not find the procomp ones

Can't wait have to take it for a spin..... delays are killing me but its gonna be worth the wait.

Name:	Jeep build 002.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	133016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep build 003.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	133017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep build 004.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	133018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep build 005.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	133019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep build 006.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	133020  

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 ... LastLast