Mobile water purifier

Default Mobile water purifier

I always wanted a water purifier for my camping setup, and the problem with a domestic RO is that it is bulky and has a relatively low flow.

With the help of a good friend who know the products very well, we opted for a system that will give me the space saving I want, safe water to to drink - but not able to remove TDS.

So, I will be able to get water from dirty standing poodles if I have to.

It simply has a 12V pump, particle filter, then a 12V UV lamp and a carbon filter at the end.

I can easily add a membrane to that.

It fitted into one of my old Bosch drill cases and flows 1.5 litres per minute.

We had to Dremel out a lot of the ribs, but it works fine.

So, now I have something that I can take down to the river.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mobile water purifier

This is brilliant.
    Care to list the bill of materials, please?
    Make, model, etc.
    I have been researching this type of setup for a while and the small I found was one that fit in a wolfpack ammobox.

I would love to build myself one too.

PS: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...water-purifier
    Last edited by swakop_toe; 2020/05/09 at 08:01 AM.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Care to list the bill of materials, please?
    Make, model, etc.
    I have been researching this type of setup for a while and the small I found was one that fit in a wolfpack ammobox.

I would love to build myself one too.

PS: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...water-purifier

The filters I bought are standard in-line water filters that you get from water purification shops. (do note that quality of these filters can be very suspect depending on where you buy.)

On the UV steriliser, we simply changed the ballast for a 12V unit.

I will have to get the dope on this side.

Reason I took from this specific supplier, is because he is anal on the quality he delivers - which certainly in this case is needed.

The parts will retail in the region of R 3000, so it ain't cheap, but it can do 6000 litres of on the carbon and particle filters.

The UV lamp apparently last one year on continuous use, so it will turn out a couple of times the water of the serviceable filters.

I had a look at many other products, and things like life straws and so forth, and those are not cheap either.

With this tool I can refill my complete 200 litres of water in 2 hours should I need to, and that is a LOT faster than pumping things manually.

Obviously to have to boil 200 litres of water to get it safe, is a huge energy requirement which has to be found somewhere, so I think overall this is a great solution.

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Lekker sistem...

Where did you get the 12v Ballast Looks like a little 6w UV.

I made up a similar system and it managed the Oranje Rivers' water quite well. I filtered around 75lt during our stay and the color was fine. I didn't have a UV so used Chlorine tablets... not so lekker!

I doubt if the inline Sediment and GAC will do the trick with muddy pool water. I bought a UF membrane (ultra filtration 0,1 micron) for a more permanent system. The length of this membrane is around 28,5cm. It does not decrease the TDS as it's not as fine as en RO membrane (which is designed for tap water and not revier water) and does not have any waste brine. The UF membrane flow rate is 1lt/min. Obviously the slower the flow rate the better the filtration.

The UF filter was around R200 if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately all these inline filters will have to be replaced once it stood for a while, not in use.
    VossaWP

VOSSA - Hilux DC 4x4 KZTE - Kamp Bakkie
    POON - 3.0 D4d Fortuner - Platkar
    WITBLITS - GD6 2.8 SC - Werks Bakkie

TOYOTA HOLICK

Have you considered Little Luxury's products? Apparently the business and also less expensive than the figures you are talking about.
    https://littleluxury.co.za/shop/page/3/
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-trailer/page2
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri

Ek gebruik die Katydin produk van Swede . Keramiek filter wat skoongemaak word en is goed vir 10,000 lt water .
    Pomp water met sy eie handpomp deur , koppel aan kraan waar druk hoog genoeg is ( huis ) of koppel aan 12V pomp .
    Last edited by Swart Jan; 2020/05/09 at 11:35 AM.
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Have you considered Little Luxury's products? Apparently the business and also less expensive than the figures you are talking about.
    https://littleluxury.co.za/shop/page/3/
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-trailer/page2

Thanks.

Of course I could go cheaper.

Unfortunately one pays a price for some compactness and quality.

Super lekker system!

The coffee events guys use similar systems in cases etc! Work really well!
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d