Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Camping Shower

Hi All,

The planning for our Silverback tour, where we ride our mountain bikes from Harare to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda continues. Departure Date is 18th July 2021.
    My quest right now is how do we provide hot showers for 10 dirty sweaty cyclists and 6 overworked, even more sweaty support crew? We have a nice 12V water pump connected to a 650l bowser, so water supply is OK. I'm looking for a solution where we can ration each person to a 20 litre hot shower . Last time I used Bundu burners, but the girls struggled with the ignition of the burner - it's quite a high gas flow, so when you put match to gas there is a bit of a bang, sometimes accompanied by a scream and on the odd lucky occasion a streaker running through the campsite :-). Try as I might, I can't get the girls to agree to use them, so here I am looking for a more sophisticated solution.

Any ideas?

Rgds

Adam - Slowest rider on Tour

Default Re: What Camping Shower

Just be careful if you use these small camp geysers, to use a pump that can pressurize up to 30 psi else it will also frustrate you.
    Johan Kriel

I assume you are the pit crew so this doesn't have to go along on a bike.

20l per person is a lot, you can get away with much less, apart from discipline I don't really know how you'll be able to limit them to a strict amount, unless of course you pull the plug so to speak.

Most basic will be a 12V pump with shower head which you chuck in to a 20l metal jerry can, before the shower you heat the can next to the fire. This will of course take some time to get everyone threw a shower since each will have to heat water first.

I recon a typical gas camping geyser might be your easiest option, a 8l or so, maybe more than one then you have a backup or you cut shower time in half.
    They are not very expensive, just be sure it can handle the pressure which your pump supplies. If you get the flow right they automatically ignite once you open the tap, so no large bangs or flames.

I don't think anything solar or electric will work for you since you need a lot of hot water in a short time, so hot water on demand will be best which basically leaves you with gas.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/02/12 at 04:57 PM.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Take a cleaned 20lt oil drum, boil water in it over fire. Take another cleaned 20ltr oil drum with a tap and rose connected underneath. Top of open drum fix a thick piece of wire used to hang up in tree. Pour 1/4 of boiled water into shower drum and fill with cold water to get shower water temp. Simple, no chance of blocked gas jets etc etc.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

This is my hot shower setup since 10 years, by using a heat exchanger to get hot water when the engine is running.

Here I did start to collect solutions and components for a hot shower by gas, diesel, 12v, 110v/220v and solar at this link:

US Market:
    https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2021...r-vanlife.html

European Market (german):
    https://www.4x4tripping.com/2021/06/...g-Vanlife.html

For portable shower solutions the us market delivers more stuff, for components for DIY Shower Projects, Water Boilers (geyser) - the european market delivers more, therefore both are listened.

What is with the big south african outdoor community? I`m shure there are hot shower solutions arround too?! Or even is comming from SA originally, like at example the Ironman 4×4 Eco Pressure Shower and is sold a DrPrepare at the US market.

trippin
    Last edited by 4x4tripping; 2021/06/10 at 05:43 PM.

We use the Shower that comes ewith our Summit Everest in the optional extra Shower Cubicle outside. or if we are say at Rooiputs and want to conserve our tank water etc .. we use our old 2 x 2 litre coke bottle method

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

One of these maybe?

https://www.takealot.com/alva-mini-p...r/PLID41694234

They are on special quite frequently so if you keep an eye out you might get a better price.

Alternatively, for quite a bit less, something like this (a larger model might be more suitable):

https://www.sustainable.co.za/totai-...hower-set.html
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi (nick-named Alfie)
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL
    2000 Volvo V40 T4 (on the market - What offers?)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigWatt For This Useful Post:

For a more DIY solution, you could try something like this with a home made copper pipe coil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9YlsyX57w

But you are likely going to need to cycle the water for decent temperature.

A larger coil in a big fire might be more effective, but a gas geyser is going to be less of a hassle all round I expect.
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL

Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Quote Originally Posted by CraigWatt View Post
    One of these maybe?

https://www.takealot.com/alva-mini-p...r/PLID41694234

They are on special quite frequently so if you keep an eye out you might get a better price.

Alternatively, for quite a bit less, something like this (a larger model might be more suitable):

https://www.sustainable.co.za/totai-...hower-set.html

we use a alva unit with our setup, when showers at camp is crappy and when we do remote camping. Works a charm, however you need to shield them well from the wind.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Here's a few ideas as well from the forum in 2009:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...408#post364408

The only paraffin water heater I ever came across (just outside Addo) was abysmal, but I probably didn't know how to use it properly.
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigWatt For This Useful Post:

At recent trip to Kaa we changed some of our set up and one change we made was to move away from gas to a liquid fuel stove. Because it is very easy to carry fuel for this as in our case we used petrol ( Diesel also works) we had no problem heating water in kettle for showering. We try to be as efficient as possible in terms of water usage so 2.5 liters is our shower budget per person and of that we heat up 1 liter of water which takes about 18-20minutes to get to the boil on the petrol stove and it uses about 100ml of petrol. The heated water gets mixed into a fold up bucket and we use a submersible 12v shower pump and rose, I usually shower first because I use less water and about 500ml is left in the bucket and SWAMBO uses this plus her 2.5 l allocation which allows for a hair wash. It's simple and it uses what we are already carrying, we use the same system to wash dishes and the 12v pump also extracts water from rivers into our water tank via a simple purification system. Here's the kit excluding kettle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Could you give us more details of the stove.
    I used to use a benzine stove which was excellent.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Could you give us more details of the stove.
    I used to use a benzine stove which was excellent.
    Sure I bought mine from Loot.co.za but this seems to be the cheapest price https://www.campcraft.co.za/product/...caAhHtEALw_wcB

Works very much like a Primus stove you pressurize the tank by pumping it about 20 times, open the nozzle to squirt a small amount of fuel into the stove. Close the nozzle light the small amount of fuel and let it burn for about 1 minute until gasification takes place and open the nozzle again. It's slightly slower than my Cadac LPG stove , about 1 minute on boiling 500ml of water but the weight and space saved more than makes up for that. The obvious advantage is the availability of fuel as it can be what ever your vehicle uses. I made the case myself to suit the pot and kettle sizes we use when overlanding so it's a carry case, stand and windbreaker all in one. The only other drawback is that it is a bit noisy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Thanks. I have seen some of the Maple range. Looks good quality!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Very clever, River Rat. Thank you for sharing.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Thanks. I have seen some of the Maple range. Looks good quality!
    Quality is not bad at all but I must admit I would have bought the Coleman but for some reason the courier costs were more than the cost of the stove.

River Rat's solution will work - I have not seen this one before.

Any pressurised system will not work with a group, trying to limit each one to 20l of water per shower. There are only some who will achieve this - most will use more, especially if you have to regulate the water temperature by mixing cold and hot water. A few litres are wasted until the temperature is suitable.

The best is still shower bags in my opinion. Preheat known quantity of water to the right temperature. Wet yourself and lather up, and then rise. A 10 litre shower bag is enough to both my wife and myself, including washing our hair. We use this method in our camper as well, even though we have a shower with hot and cold water taps.
    Mike Lauterbach

Theres a bit of a catch-22 to showering
    with portable camping gas geysers.
    They generally operate on the basis of flow rate over the range 1-8L/min to invoke and maintain gas heating of the water stream,
    and assuming 10L a shower that equates
    to 10mins down to only 1.2mins depending on the pump rate.
    Experience tends to indicate , for remote camping one needs to ration water at 5L to 10L per person per day ... for 4 people for 4 nights camping that equates to 80-160L say 1-3 tanks ! ...,so carrying capacity / storage can be an important factor for extended remote camping
    I run an Alva geyser using a rather feeble pump that actually works out quite well ! ... it only moves about 1-2L/min over a 7m hose to a shower head that gives a fairly fine spray ... so I only use a few litres over up to 5 mins ... you can double that for my wife !
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/06/12 at 10:54 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast