Hello, Howdy. 1st self drive to RSA, BOTS, ZIM

Default Hello, Howdy. 1st self drive to RSA, BOTS, ZIM

Hello; I am looking for advise on my itinerary for an upcoming trip. So far I have booked the LR 110, and made all campsite reservations and what I am hoping is that you can give me advice if my planed route is achievable or not. I have T4A and I expect that I have planned well, but I have never been to southern Africa and my expectations may not be equal to what is real. It will be Mid August to Mid September

For example day 21 is from Robins camp in Hwange to Ihaha in Botswana via the border crossing at Pandamatenga and driving through Kasane to pick up supplies. can this be done considering breaking camp in the morning, driving, border crossing, and making camp that afternoon?

Are my other plans achievable? Somewhere between day 11 and day 16 a mokoro trip is desired, but will I need reservations in advance and who is the best outfitter?

If you see anything out of place, please let me know.

Day 1 Arrive in Johannesburg
    Day 2 Pillanesburg National Park
    Day 3 Gaborone mokolodi house
    Day 4 Mokongwa Camp Khama Rhino Sanctuary
    Day 5 Mokongwa Camp Khama Rhino Sanctuary
    Day 6 Khumaga Camp KK3
    Day 7 Njuca Camp Camp 2
    Day 8 Nxai South Camp Camp NX1
    Day 9 Nxai South Camp Camp NX1
    Day 10 Maun Lodge or Audi Camp
    Day 11 Third Bridge Camp MT1
    Day 12 Third Bridge Camp MT1
    Day 13 Xakanaxa Camp 10
    Day 14 Xakanaxa Camp 10
    Day 15 Khwai Community Camp Magotho
    Day 16 Khwai Community Camp
    Day 17 Vic Falls Old Ursula
    Day 18 Vic Falls Old Ursula
    Day 19 Hwenge Masuma Dam
    Day 20 Hwenge Masuma Dam
    Day 21 Hwenge Robins Camp
    Day 22 Ihaha Rest Camp Camp 7
    Day 23 Ihaha Camp 7
    Day 24 Ihaha Camp 7
    Day 25 Savuti Camp 4
    Day 26 savuti Camp 4
    Day 27 savuti Camp 4
    Day 28 Maun Lodge or Audi Camp
    Day 29 Sunday Pan CKSUN03
    Day 30 Sunday Pan 04 CKSUN03
    Day 31 Passarge Pan CKA2 Kagokong Camp
    Day 32 Rakops Xere Hotel
    Day 33 Gaborone mokolodi house
    Day 34 Johanesburg
    Day 35 Depart Johannesburg

Thanks in advance and if we meet, I'll buy you a beer.
    Last edited by Dogscout; 2012/01/23 at 12:18 AM.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Hi Dougscout,
    you should read this: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...20#post1025620
    before planning 3 nights at Ihaha.

Until today I would have said, yes its ok with your planning of day 21, but now? No idea how long it will take you to get into Chobe.

You can book Mokoro trips directly there near Xakanaka.

Gaborone Mokolodi - its a very nice campsite - why not camp?

Pilanesberg requires a 2 night booking as far as I know, but not sure.

Hope I could help
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2012/01/23 at 07:42 AM.

Default Thanks So much

Thanks for the reply and the information about Ihaha is disturbing. I have sent a list of questions to Kwalate Safaris asking them how this will affect us. I'll let you all know what I find out. Wouldn't you know it but, Pilnesberg is the one reservation that I have not followed through completely on. I did not think that it would be difficult, but I'll get on to it now. I may also take your recommendation on Moklodi also.

I was also planning on getting the park passes set up in Gaborone and doing most of the provisioning. Do you have a recommendation on where to buy supplies.

I was also planning on getting the park passes set up in Gaborone and doing most of the provisioning. Do you have a recommendation on where to buy supplies.
    Gabs is really rural, theres Pick n' Pay and some small malls. But be carefull with the meat, there are some Vet controls at the way up north, take only what you need until Maun.
    Remeber that you are not allowed to bring meat into Botswana also no dairy, also not back into SA.

Hi Dogscout,
    The most glaring problem I see is how you plan to get from the Khwai River to Vic Falls in 1 day. If you travel via Savuti to Kasane then VF that is a long haul. If you go to Maun, Nata, Kasane, VF also long haul. You need extra day and stop over somewhere probably Kasane as a late arrival then VF next day.

Gene

Thanks for the feedback. Revisions are being looked into for Day 15 through 21. I'll be back in a few days with an update.

Thanks again.

Well it didn't take this long to straighten out, but it did take a bit of figuring. The revised itinerary is listed below. I know that the Savuti - Vic Falls is going to be a long day, but based on reading the forum I am giving it a go. As I stated in my earlier post, please rip this appart and give me a good critique.

Day 1 Arrive in Johannesburg
    Day 2 Pillanesburg National Park
    Day 3 Gaborone mokolodi house
    Day 4 Mokongwa Camp
    Day 5 Mokongwa Camp
    Day 6 Khumaga Camp
    Day 7 Njuca Camp
    Day 8 Nxai South Camp
    Day 9 Nxai South Camp
    Day 10 Maun Lodge or Audi Camp
    Day 11 Third Bridge
    Day 12 Third Bridge
    Day 13 Xakanaxa
    Day 14 Xakanaxa
    Day 15 savuti
    Day 16 vic falls
    Day 17 vic falls
    Day 18 Masuma
    Day 19 Masuma
    Day 20 mandavu
    Day 21 Kazuma Pan
    Day 22 Ihaha
    Day 23 Ihaha
    Day 24 Ihaha
    Day 25 Savuti
    Day 26 savuti
    Day 27 savuti
    Day 28 Maun Lodge or Audi Camp
    Day 29 Sunday Pan
    Day 30 Sunday Pan 04
    Day 31 Passarge Pan
    Day 32 Rakops Xere Hotel
    Day 33 African river ranch
    Day 34 Johanesburg

Thanks for any advice or comment.

Hi Dogscout,

Can I ask if you have good reason for doing the JHB and the Pillanesburg stop? There are flights into Gaborone, and you would gain 2 or more days. Unless you have family to visit, I would suggest consider hiring a set up in Gabs.
    The Lady Camper
    Toyota FJ Cruiser, Bushlapa Boskriek

Default Why SA and not Gabs

Simple really, I had been trying to work out a trip through a provider in Bots, but could not match dates and availability, so I went looking into SA. I got a much better price with the SA provider and better service on planning and arrangements.
    I would encourage all of the 4x4 hire companies to embrace the internet especially SKYPE or similar. Being able to have a online discussion pseudo face to face gave me a lot more trust and ease of asking questions.
    Flights into Joberg were also easy and cheaper. We are traveling from the US and it will be over 20 hours door to door just to get to Joberg.
    Pillanesberg is a first day trip to do a bit of a shake down. We need to; arrive in a foreign country, try to rest a bit, pick-up a vehicle that has the steering wheel on the wrong side, buy provisions, figure out how to use the tent, kitchenette, equipment, etc. So I figured an easy drive out the first day and a overnight in a relatively populated area.
    Now do not worry to much, I have done plenty of driving on the other side of the road, and I hope to not be too much of a hazard to you all. If you see a yank on the left side blow the horn a wave him over. Heck I'll buy a round and thank you.

Default RSA, Bots Zim

Good Afternoon Dogscout.
    I like your itinerary. You will have a good report to write when you are finished. I would like to give you a little input from my experiences.
    1. Day 3 Gaborone mokolodi house - From Pilansberg I would go straight through to Rhino. +/- 450kms. This would give you an extra day. There are 2 ways, one as you have suggested via Gaberone but the other with a bit more scenery is through the Waterberg via Route 510 leaving the Pilansberg (Bakgatla) gate up via Northam, Thabazimbi and Ellisrus (Lephalala) onto Tom Burke and the Martins Drift Border Post. From there to Palapye and Rhino Sanctuary.
    2. Day 7 Njuca Camp There is nothing but flat pans with a little raised hill where the camp is. There are no facilities there. You would be better served by staying an extra day at Khumago and day an early morning drive out to Njuca hills around the southern route. This route goes along the river through thick sand then traverses eastwards to Njuca. You can then circle back on the central rote to Khumaga (Xhumaga). PM me if you want more details. See http://www.botswana-travel-guide.com....asp?bradt=805
    3. Day 22 Ihaha, 23 Ihaha, 24 Ihaha I would reconsider this and camp outside the Chobe Park. I would arrange a morning and evening boat cruise and do day visits. There are a number of threads regarding Chobe. We camp outside on our last trip and had a fantastic time.
    4. Day 32 Rakops Xere Hotel. I would drive down to Rhino Sanctuary again and overnight here instead.
    I hope this helps you with your planning.
    Regards
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Hi, You have a hellava trip. wish I could join.
    I do have certain observations:
    1. One night at Pilansberg? would allow at least another especially since you have just arrived and should get to grips with local conditions/camping/vehicle, etc. And it is a lovely park.
    2. It doesn't make sense to me that you then travel 'across' Botswana to Moremi/Savuti (day 15) then cut back to Zim after which you again travel all the way back to Savuti (days25-27)?
    Would recommend a more circular route, either clockwise or anticlockwise. You would gain much travel time and more time to perhaps stay longer at certain spots. E.g from Pilansberg head north to Zim (you can go via Botswana and enter Plumtree) for Hwange and VF. Then enter back to Bots at Kazangula, stay at Kasane/Ihaha and then head south to Savuti/ Moremi/ Maun et al.

Good luck
    Kloppie

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Good Afternoon Dogscout.
    I like your itinerary. You will have a good report to write when you are finished. I would like to give you a little input from my experiences.
    1. Day 3 Gaborone mokolodi house - From Pilansberg I would go straight through to Rhino. +/- 450kms. This would give you an extra day. There are 2 ways, one as you have suggested via Gaberone but the other with a bit more scenery is through the Waterberg via Route 510 leaving the Pilansberg (Bakgatla) gate up via Northam, Thabazimbi and Ellisrus (Lephalala) onto Tom Burke and the Martins Drift Border Post. From there to Palapye and Rhino Sanctuary.
    2. Day 7 Njuca Camp There is nothing but flat pans with a little raised hill where the camp is. There are no facilities there. You would be better served by staying an extra day at Khumago and day an early morning drive out to Njuca hills around the southern route. This route goes along the river through thick sand then traverses eastwards to Njuca. You can then circle back on the central rote to Khumaga (Xhumaga). PM me if you want more details. See http://www.botswana-travel-guide.com....asp?bradt=805
    3. Day 22 Ihaha, 23 Ihaha, 24 Ihaha I would reconsider this and camp outside the Chobe Park. I would arrange a morning and evening boat cruise and do day visits. There are a number of threads regarding Chobe. We camp outside on our last trip and had a fantastic time.
    4. Day 32 Rakops Xere Hotel. I would drive down to Rhino Sanctuary again and overnight here instead.
    I hope this helps you with your planning.
    Regards
    I hear you Dogscout, the JHB operators are the most awake.

And I love your detour Mike! Khama Rhino is not to be missed and it is a great one night stop over. Way better than a night in Gabs. If you need to stock up on meat and groceries, the Spar at Serowe is as good as the Spar in Gabs.

Do you not think that camping outside the Chobe may be problematic with the new decongestion plan they are implementing? I hear that you now have to book a permit to drive the route, and if you are not camping in the park the routes might be full if it is peak season?
    The Lady Camper
    Toyota FJ Cruiser, Bushlapa Boskriek

You will need the permit for the river route,
    if you stay inside or not.
    The confusion is very high and the park empty.
    Ihaha is an adventure and there are other
    routes you can take!
    And your directly at the river.
    I would stay at Ihaha.

Default RSA, Botswana , Zim Trip

Hi Dogscout.
    I do not know how firm your bookings are but I have had another look at you schedule and revised it as I would do the trip if I had 35 days to spare.
    1. I have included 2 days at Pilansburg
    2. I have schedule 4 days at CKGR with you exiting at the Tsau gate at the north exit of the park onto Maun on the Ghanzi road.
    3. I thought retracing your steps back to Savuti was a bit of PT therefor have schedule a round about route going in at Botswana and then to Zim and then exiting Zim at Plumtree after spending 2 nights at the Matobos National Park. You would drive back via Francistown in Botswana. You could also return via Beit Bridge.
    See schedule
    WasSuggested revisionDay
    1 Arrive in Johannesburg - Johannesburg
    Day 2 Pillanesburg National Park- Pilansburg
    Day 3 Gaborone mokolodi house- Pilansburg
    Day 4 Mokongwa Camp - Rhino Sanctuary
    Day 5 Mokongwa Camp - Rhino Sanctuary
    Day 6 Khumaga Camp - Khumago
    Day 7 Njuca Camp - Khumago
    Day 8 Nxai South Camp - Nxai South Camp
    Day 9 Nxai South Camp - Nxai South Camp
    Day 10 Maun Lodge or Audi Camp - Sunday Pan
    Day 11 Third Bridge - Sunday Pan 04
    Day 12 Third Bridge -Passarge Pan
    Day 13 Xakanaxa - Passarge Pan
    Day 14 Xakanaxa - Maun
    Day 15 savuti - Third Bridge
    Day 16 vic falls - Third Bridge
    Day 17 vic falls - Xakanaxa
    Day 18 Masuma - Xakanaka
    Day 19 Masuma - Savuti
    Day 20 mandavu - Savuti
    Day 21 Kazuma Pan - Savuti
    Day 22 Ihaha - Ihaha
    Day 23 Ihaha - Ihaha
    Day 24 Ihaha - Ihaha
    Day 25 Savuti - Vic falls
    Day 26 savuti - Vic falls
    Day 27 savuti - Masuma
    Day 28 Maun Lodge or Audi Camp-Masuma
    Day 29 Sunday Pan - mandavu
    Day 30 Sunday Pan 04 - Kazuma Pan
    Day 31 Passarge Pan - Matobos near Bulawayo
    Day 32 Rakops Xere Hotel - Matobos near Bulawayo
    Day 33 African river ranch - African River Ranch
    Day 34 Johanesburg - Johannesburg

Regards
    Last edited by MikevR; 2012/05/01 at 02:27 PM.

Default Thanks All

Hey Thanks everyone. I will take Mike's recomendation and do 2 nights at Khumaga and do the drive out to Njuca. Njuca was the only reservation that I was not able to secure and from what I keep hearing it is not worth it anyway or no one is taking reservations there. What about the situation at Khumaga with the junior rangers? Is this just a temporary issue?

Is it possible to get to Kubu and back in a day?

What about the drive from Khumaga to Nxai Pan. Is that a simple 1 day drive going through Makgadikgadi Pan?

What about camping at Kazuma Pan along Hunters Road? I have read that the nearby camp has been chasing campers off, but I have also read that camping is allowed. What is the deal? I'll use Camp Kazuma if I have to but I would rather just camp at the pan.

The overnight in Gabs is for two reasons. Pick up groceries, and pay park entry fees. I have the camping reservations but not park fees yet. Besides, The first two days are short for a reason. We are about to be smacked in the face with Africa. I imagine it will be a lot of sensory overload, like going to Delhi for the first time.

The circular route sounds like a great idea, but at this point all reservations are made and I really do not want to change it. Thanks though. I also have no desire to spend any more time in Zim than I have to, but want to see some dogs, and the falls.

Thanks again, please keep the comments coming.

Default RSA,Bots & Zim

Hi Dogscout

Is it possible to get to Kubu and back in a day? We left Kubu at 9.00 am and reach Khumago at 4.30pm after a swim and lunch at Planet Baobab in Gweta. You could forsake 1 night at Khumago and go to Kubu from Rhino sllep over and next morning travel to Khumago via Gweta. This would save you the ferry trip to get to Khumago after leaving Rakops.

What about the drive from Khumaga to Nxai Pan. Is that a simple 1 day drive going through Makgadikgadi Pan? If you travel north toward Phuduhudu over the Gweta - Maun tar road you should take +/- 1.75 hours. You do encounter some heavy sand along the way. An option is to go Planet Baobab / Gweta lodge and have a swim and lunch and then to Nxai pan. That will give you about 3.5 hour driving time plus your stop time. You could also put in some scenic driving time along the river both south and north on your way out; but again there is heavy sand in places.

What about camping at Kazuma Pan along Hunters Road? I have read that the nearby camp has been chasing campers off, but I have also read that camping is allowed. What is the deal? I'll use Camp Kazuma if I have to but I would rather just camp at the pan. I am only familiar with Kazuma National Park in Zim. The turn off is on the Panamatenga road from Hwange or Matetsi. Hunters road is on the agenda but not tackled yet. For info on Kazuma email:- [email protected] .com

Regards
    Last edited by MikevR; 2012/05/03 at 12:13 PM.