Pajero Sport vs Fortuner

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Pajero Sport vs Fortuner

I had my Pajero written off near Pomene in Mozambique. (See Post somewhere on this site)
    Now I need to buy something else. (DIESEL)
    Prado is too expensive (120kw) ... Fortuners get stolen but keep value, Pajero Sport seem to be reliable but heavy on diesel.

Any ideas. Budget R300 - R330k. What about ride comfort etc?

Please help me with your thoughts and experience - it must be 4x4 and not D/C.

Enjoy 2012 .. .it started with storms & floods .... what will happen 21 December??

Sorry to hear about your write off...

Quote Originally Posted by MrDeeSA View Post
    Enjoy 2012 .. .it started with storms & floods .... what will happen 21 December??
    Those areas, in which the new year started with storms & floods will be wiped off the face of the earth!

Ride comfort is a very personal thing, some think that the GWM Hoover is a much better vehicle than the Fortuner...

If you are not worried about resale value, have a look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee turbodiesel. Their resale value sucks, but in general they are good cars. And you get the most 4x4 for the money. They do have a very nice ride on and off the tar. Might be a bit tight on packing space, depends what you need the vehicle for.

Go to the dealers and test drive the usual suspects, Fortuner and Pajero Sport. And maybe the unusual ones too, like Ford Everest and Jeeps in your price range.

Why don't you want to look at a Pajero again, you should get a decent one for that money?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Unfortunately there is no other vehicles in that class with that space for those prices ( unless you look to old prado's, pajero's and jeeps )

Unfortunately I can not see that the Fortuner really has competition in this market. Everest I will not even waste my time to go look at. PSport only has one option and as per this explanation from Brent I'm glad I took the tuna. ---> http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...95&postcount=8

If you don't expect anything with regard to luxuries and features then you wont be dissapointed in the Toy. Depending on where you life theft seems like an issue, we here in the states don't have them.

The jump seats in the rear of the tuna has space, even for me, but takes up space. Luckily you can remove them totally if you don't need them, then you have lots of loading space. Where the PS seats fold away. My concern with this was that the seats must take space up somewhere and that the tuna cannot loose out here totally, now I know where the PS seats take up there space and where the PS loose out to the tuna ----> http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...4&postcount=13
    "My one complaint of the Sport is the pathetic sized fuel tank and if you look at my photo the spare wheel already hangs quite low so I am not keen on fitting an auxillary tank which will drop it even further."

All in all unfortunately I don't think the tuna has competition in that market and you cannot find more value for money than you get, I mean they start at R325,000 these days.
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Tough call...buy the Tuna, be underwhelmed but get good fuel consumption and if it is not stolen, good resale or buy the Mitsu and maybe have a better drive but crap resale...

I would always look for a demo / year old as then the bad resale vehicles have taken a big knock already and you can save big $$$
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Ag no not another Tuna, be different and get the Pajero Sport.

Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYTD5 View Post
    Ag no not another Tuna, be different and get the Pajero Sport.

Nuff said.
    Take a good look at its peashooter exhaust.....WTF!!??....seriously?

Get a Fortuner.
    FJC - Just Cruising

I agree Dirtshark there is no competiotion here and the choice to be made is clear.....Get a Fortuner and you will never look back........Thats why our vehicles are insured.....
    NOBODY SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE EASY....SO MAKE THE MOST OF IT.....

Jeez, if the size of the exhaust is one of the criteria for buying a car I give up!
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...

A Fortuner is a awesome vehicle apparently.

They're just so .......... BORING!

Current: AMAROK BITDI 4MOTION
    Ex: HILUX D4D 4x4 DC
    EX: Land Rover D3 TDV6 SE
    EX: Land Rover Defender 110 300 Tdi
    EX: Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 LWB V6 Blister
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Baviaans, Richtersveld, Tankwa Karoo, Kgalagadi, Botswana, Addo, West Coast, Southern Namibia

Ok without Punting or at least trying not giving any negative comment on some of the useless comments above."NOBODY SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE EASY....SO MAKE THE MOST OF IT....." such as accepting that you now have to drive the Fortuner... eish!

I had the choice of both.
    1. I Hated the Fortuners dash colors, and quality inside
    2. I love that fact that I sit better in the Pajero.
    3. The rear seats of the Fortuner folding up is a crap setup
    4. The Pajero's folds down into the floor.
    5. The Fortuners drive was hard
    6. The Fortuner doesn't have a rear anti roll bar (WT...)
    7. The Pajero has the Superselect 4wd setup(very good)
    8. The seats, airbags, rear aircon is better.
    9. The engine on the Pajero is a fantastic motor, proven itself over years.
    10. Hi Jack % on the Fortuner is 100 times more riskier than the Pajero(My family is actually important as well)
    11. Everybody drives Fortuners...COME ON!
    Trade in value will allways be better on a Toyota....This is SA we are not perfect we are a third world population.

That's my reasons and decision. You buy what you want!

I bought the car as a long term car (kitting it out for over landing) so in a year or so it will only work on holiday's Thus is trade in value not even a worry.

Both are great vehicles each with their own pros and cons. I do believe the Fortuner is a great car - very little to bash about it.

I bought the PS because I preferred the overall package and this includes service. I deal with Toyota dealerships every week of my life managing our fleet of 20 Hiluxes and in my part of the world their service generally sucks.

Yes the small fuel tank (and small exhaust apparently ) is a pain, but I get 600km's on a tank which is as good as my previous Ranger. I travel with small kids so I can't drive for more than 4 or 5 uninterrupted hours anyway so to refuel then isn't a problem. Yes, the Namib tour I want to do in July will pose a problem but if that happens once a year I can live with making a plan.

As far as the Fortuner theft problem is concerned, right now it is a theft problem but what worries me is the potential for it to become a hijack problem when and if Toyota sorts out its security issues - That is something I don't want to subject my family to!

I will say that the SA perception about Toyota is the marketing coup of our time as they have the public blindly believing their cars are the best when often there is just as good an alternative available from another manufacturer. GWM comes to mind . Ok, now I'm stirring, but the fact remains there are viable alternatives to Toyota's and yes 9/10 times it won't have the resale value or the image of the Toyota but it will give you a more pleasurable daily driving experience.
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

From 2006 to 2009 Fortuner was almost the only option in that Market(Well done on filling that gap). The choices are bigger today and that's good. NO i don't hate the fortuner, 4 of my friends drive them, I respect their decision, recover them when they get stuck...and overall they are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    recover them when they get stuck....
    Be a good friend and send them to Herman's training in that case
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by Jackes1754 View Post
    Be a good friend and send them to Herman's training in that case
    HAHA! will do. But I am serious, and lets be honest, some guys has done Baboons it them. so I can not say they are bad 4x4's... because they aren't.

If Pajero didn't have a Sport.....Well, then it would have been a 2nd hand Pajero 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    recover them when they get stuck

Ons moet tog eendag iewers gaan ry dat ek jou kan ry dat jy kots! Dan is dit klaar!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Ons moet tog eendag iewers gaan ry dat ek jou kan ry dat jy kots! Dan is dit klaar!
    Ok! maar waarmee gaan JY ry?

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
    jeep wrangler unlimited...
    +100000000000000
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Come to think of it....ek het amper gekots met die TUna se test drive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast