Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks Mistral and mnrVermaak.

The forester was not a consideration as it was too big for my garage. My
    old merc used to stand outside so that did not matter, but I wanted a new vehicle that would fit in my rather small garage -- hence the Terios !

Thanks All.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Presume you are referring to the CDL Why would a vehicle bounce more because the difflock is on? And why specifically on this vehicle?

This is contrary to general advise.
    I was not sure about the setup of his vehicle i.t.o difflock and wondered if it was engaged and he was traveling at speed it surely could enhance the loose back end feel.I have never driven fast with diff lock engaged so I dont know how it reacts at speed,and on corrugated road as i usually drive slow (out of neccesity) when i activate mine on the bakkie.

Rob,the terios is very nice,i considered one for my wife at a stage,then we had our baby and needless to say it was put on hold.I would however have taken the LWB for the exra loading space.Have you towed with yours at all yet?

MrG - no I have not yet towed with mine. I do not have a towbar fitted at this stage.

Just as a matter of interest -- I bought the Terios SWB auto 4x4 as we wanted a it to fit in our critically small townhouse garage. It had to be auto
    as my wife has a back problem and suffers pain when she drives manual vehicles. The only auto in SWB happens to be the 4x4 so that was why we bought it.

Our friends ( who went with us on the same trip ) have a Forester and each time we went for a drive in it whilst in the Cederberg we found it gave a noiser and more bumpy drive.

My wife had absolutely no back discomfort after the trip in the Terios, so if we can cut the swaying even by 30% by lowering tyre pressure we will be very happy with the Terios. It will then satisfy all our requirements.

I'm sure you will be very happy if you do eventally buy the LWB especially for family applications. I have driven one and was impressed.
    I know some people are very critical and try to make unfair comparisons when it comes to size, speed and capabilities, but I think you have to judge each vehicle for what it was intended. As I said earlier, my wife and I don't want to climb mountains with the Terios. We use it as a vehicle that for most of the time is on tar roads, but we do like doing the odd trip which involves rough roads and I must say that having the height of the Terios makes visibility so much better than we have ever had ! And the fuel consumption is quite a pleasure too. We don't need to race from A to B and
    do all sorts of risky overtaking....I'm quite happy to take a bit longer and be safe.

Cheers for now - Rob.

I tow a trailer weighing between 400 and 500kg on most of my gravel trips (Wife, 2 kids, camping gear, water, petrol, a case of beer per day... and the fridge to keep the beer cold, freezer for the meat, battery, solar, wood. No way I'm loading even a third of that in the car!)

I load my trailer to be rather light on the towbar. The reccomendation is 10% of the weight on the towbar, I load the towbar to about 25kg, regardless of how heavy the trailer is. It works for me, but dont take it as gospel. Vehicle, trailer, driving style, preference - all play a part.

Sometimes I get looong "drifts" when the rear steps out of line, and lands next to the groove I'm driving in. With or without trailer, DONT SLOW DOWN. Keep the throttle, or lightly accelerate, and countersteer a bit. It sorts itself out. If you lift off, or worse still, brake, the trailer will push the rear even wider...

In 4wd I just carry on driving. The wheels WANT to be behind each other! And they will have their wish! (Again, same as centre diff lock engaged on a full time 4wd like the Terios)

Once the current tyres are finished on the Terios, fit AT or M&S tyres. I had AT on, and replaced with M&S recently. Two days later I drove from Windhoek to Walvis on the gravel, the first time ever I had no unexpected slides! (I'm not saying MS tyres are "better" than AT, only the the specific tyres I put on is better than the old set, which happens to be AT. Experiment..If it works, keep it)

Also, dont drive too slow on corrugated roads. It will shake you (and the car) to pieces! All cars are different, and tyre pressure plays a big part, but normally about 60 - 80kph on bad corrogation. AA here on the forum off course swears by 100+ (He lives on the other end of a 100+ km long washboard......)

After just a 1000 or so kms on the gravel you will be used to it. a few 1000 more, and you will not even notice it. A bit more, and like me, you will actively avoid tar for the safety of gravel roads! No taxis, drunken teenage hooligans, busses, lorries etc. Heaven...
    Last edited by Gert du Preez; 2012/01/20 at 11:24 PM.

Very interesting ! Thanks Gert.

Default Re: New Terios 4x4 auto traction query

It seems Terios have one bushing which worn out very quickly (panhard rod (rear) right bushing. Strange design. Very simple to replace, PN is 90385-20001 (90043-85149 should work too). improve rear noise and comfort/grip.

Deflate rear tire helps too

Still it its a short wheel base rigid axle car... for some reason traditional cars replaced rigid axles by independent suspension, it is dynamically better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2