How do I make my KB300 Dteq "expedition ready"

Default How do I make my KB300 Dteq "expedition ready"

Hi Guys,
    I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I am planning a trip up the Mozambique Coast. I am busy building a Alu-cab, and will get a winch. I want to know what (if any) Technical/mechanical changes I need to make to the vehicle (engine, diff etc) to make it expedition ready?
    Does anyone know if it's possible to fit an extra diesel filter? I have heard a lot about dirty diesel in Africa destroying engines. What precautions can I take?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Michael

Point it's nose in the direction of the bush... It is capable as is, no mechanical changes needed on any D/C for that matter. Offroad shocks will be great for that added weight of the winch.

If you would like, a 2" lift is inexpensive and could give you a tad bit more clearance.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

Fill up the tank... then GO....
    2013 Ranger Wildtrak 4x4 auto

Eybsie, no need for any changes. As Sniper says, it may be a good idea to fit better shocks as your vehicle will be carrying extra weight but this is not essential. I fitted Monroes to mine and am very happy with them. I found that fitting out the load bin and canopy of my vehicle was more important as one lives out of the canopy while on a trip.

Travelling in Africa can often be very tough but is always extremely rewarding.

Fill her up.....
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Good condition shocks and LT tyres are good for when you start loading it up.
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

Quote Originally Posted by eybsie View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I am planning a trip up the Mozambique Coast. I am busy building a Alu-cab, and will get a winch.
    Hi Michael,
    Unless you are planning some very serious offroad work, ditch the winch and spend the money on something else. The EN1 is in good condition for most of the route up the coast (except for the section near Palmeiras that has just been breached by the Nkomati River flood waters) and the only heavy 4x4 work you'll do is getting in and out of some of the camp sites.
    I would rather spend the money on a set of good tyres, assuming you don't have said tyres already. If you do, then you're probably set to go - fuel is generally pretty clean in Moz, you will only pick up dirty fuel in the more remote areas.

Default Change the engine

Put a Pajero engine in and, off you go
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.
    Topless Tersia - 96 J-Top SWB 3.0 V6 Pajero. Restoration 99% completed.

.....raaaaait
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Quote Originally Posted by Renier.deJongh View Post
    Put a Pajero engine in and, off you go
    That would make a explosive difference !!!

Hi eybsie,
    Regarding the extra diesel filter, GMSA has issued a service bulletin stating that one can have an additional fuel filter installed. They specify the make and everything and it should be available from all Isuzu dealerships. Its for your own account.
    I have fitted one to my KB300. The only problem was that the dealership wasn't aware of the service bulletin (IZ-05).
    I agree with all the other folks comments about the Isuzu being a very capable vehicle in standard trim... just look at the bakkies that GMSA sponsored to do/did those missions in Moz where they removed/cleared all those land mines etc. As far as I know the only modification those vehicles had, was that the running boards were removed. (I don't know about the tires).Also, I doubt that these vehicles had any additional fuel filters and they certainly used 500ppm, so in the short run there should not be any problems. But then again, these were sponsored vehicles, so to replace an engine/injectors/diesel pump etc would not have been an issue... unlike the ordinary man on the street that needs a reliable vehicle for the long run. Better safe than sorry I say, but also then to everyone his own.
    Hope it helps.

The responses above are right. It is ready.
    OTOH you might want to tweak a bit (altho not really needed for Moz).
    Consider
    1. Remove the sidesteps
    2. Fit 2" lift rear shackles and turn up your torsion-bar front suspension to suit and readjust your headlights. This also makes your ride softer.
    3. Forget the winch.
    4. Fit good seatcovers. This protects the material and will boost your resale eventually.
    5. Fit Mario's tanksize exention kit to get rid of airpockets and increase tank capacity (See http://www.isuzuoffroad.co.za/index....ewtopic&t=7671 )
    6. Fit GOOD (eg llumar http://www.llumarsouthafrica.co.za/i...=78&Itemid=205 ) window film. This reduces sun heat and increases protection. Go for darker at the rear (or allround). Have it done where they offfer a dustproof fitment room.
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

Must say I'll consider a long range fuel tank. Mine is 125l and I love it.
    <b>2006 Isuzu KB 300 LX D/C 4x4</b>
    Calmini 3" Lift
    Unichip
    Rancho shocks

Default long rage fuel tank

Hi Andre,
    Where did you have your 125 litre tank fitted. also in need of one

No idea

The previous owner did it.
    <b>2006 Isuzu KB 300 LX D/C 4x4</b>
    Calmini 3" Lift
    Unichip
    Rancho shocks

Well, my 85 litre aux tank is where the spare wheel used to be (spare no on replacement bumper) ond together it gives me about 160l in total. Fitted at Frontrunner.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

Hi Guys,

Thakns for the advice. I did the Moz trip and it was AMAZING. Spent most of our time on soft sand tracks along the coast and the Isuzu did great. I didn't make any big changes. Built myself an Alu-Cab, Drawer System, Dual Bat system. So no major changes for the trip and I must say she behaved exceptionally. I love my Isuzu and just fitted it with a set of Melville and Moon seat covers. Next mod I'm considering is the 2" lift as it is the biggest concern I have.

Thanks again