Differences between a normal lead-acid car battery and a deep cycle battery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Differences between a normal lead-acid car battery and a deep cycle battery.

Fluffy, this was your suggestion.

There should varying opinion on the subject. The text below is taken directly/unmodified from the source stated.

Courtesy of: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question219.htm

People who have recreational vehicles (RVs) and boats are familiar with deep cycle batteries. These batteries are also common in golf carts and large solar power systems (the sun produces power during the day and the batteries store some of the power for use at night). If you have read the article How Emergency Power Systems Work, then you also know that an alternative to gasoline-powered generators is an inverter powered by one or more deep cycle batteries.
    Both car batteries and deep cycle batteries are lead-acid batteries that use exactly the same chemistry for their operation (see How Batteries Work for more information). The difference is in the way that the batteries optimize their design:

• A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.
    • A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.

A car battery typically has two ratings:

• CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - The number of amps that the battery can produce at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) for 30 seconds
    • RC (Reserve Capacity) - The number of minutes that the battery can deliver 25 amps while keeping its voltage above 10.5 volts

Typically, a deep cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a car battery, but will deliver one-half or three-quarters the CCAs. In addition, a deep cycle battery can withstand several hundred total discharge/recharge cycles, while a car battery is not designed to be totally discharged.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Fluffy, this was your suggestion.
    There should varying opinion on the subject. The text below is taken directly/unmodified from the source stated.

Courtesy of: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question219.htm

People who have recreational vehicles (RVs) and boats are familiar with deep cycle batteries. These batteries are also common in golf carts and large solar power systems (the sun produces power during the day and the batteries store some of the power for use at night). If you have read the article How Emergency Power Systems Work, then you also know that an alternative to gasoline-powered generators is an inverter powered by one or more deep cycle batteries.

Both car batteries and deep cycle batteries are lead-acid batteries that use exactly the same chemistry for their operation (see How Batteries Work for more information). The difference is in the way that the batteries optimize their design:
    • A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.
    • A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.
    A car battery typically has two ratings:
    • CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - The number of amps that the battery can produce at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) for 30 seconds
    • RC (Reserve Capacity) - The number of minutes that the battery can deliver 25 amps while keeping its voltage above 10.5 volts
    Typically, a deep cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a car battery, but will deliver one-half or three-quarters the CCAs. In addition, a deep cycle battery can withstand several hundred total discharge/recharge cycles, while a car battery is not designed to be totally discharged.
    That article is so riddled with rubbish that it doesnt warrant comment.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2012/01/15 at 05:34 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Now that sounds like a solid thread killer... It was your suggestion so don't be scared, or as they say, laat waai my ou!
    Eggie.

Now that sounds like a solid thread killer... It was your suggestion so don't be scared, or as they say, laat waai my ou!

Too early in the day for a good technical discussion. Everybody is still sober.

But here is an appertizer.

Several hundred TOTAL discharge and charges.. mmm several hundred is at least 300. In practice - one holiday a year with 10 total discharge charges per day ( almost impossible to do ) buit lets say you manage to totally discharge and charge a 102Ah battery in 24 hours. That battery should last 30 years.

Similar logic, once a month, 2 days, lets say 10 years.

Ok you camp a lot, lets say every week, 52 times a year for two days, lets say 104 total discharge/charge cycles a year. Right so you are going to totally discharge/charge a battery twice every week for 3 years, yea right.

To be honest I am leading the jury here, just laying down some thought for the real crux of my position....
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

is their anybody out there that knows about batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Too early in the day for a good technical discussion. Everybody is still sober.

But here is an appertizer.

Several hundred TOTAL discharge and charges.. mmm several hundred is at least 300. In practice - one holiday a year with 10 total discharge charges per day ( almost impossible to do ) buit lets say you manage to totally discharge and charge a 102Ah battery in 24 hours. That battery should last 30 years.

Similar logic, once a month, 2 days, lets say 10 years. No logical logic found here.

Ok you camp a lot, lets say every week, 52 times a year for two days, lets say 104 total discharge/charge cycles a year. Right so you are going to totally discharge/charge a battery twice every week for 3 years, yea right.

Do not read specs in isolation. You are stretching things, and I know you know this. Prudent would be rather to provide the explanation why this does NOT work the way you suggest here, although many would not even need that. Again I know that you know this too.

To be honest I am leading the jury here, just laying down some thought for the real crux of my position....
    Have a cold one (or more), and get back. Would love to hear about the "crux" thing...
    Last edited by Eggie; 2012/01/15 at 06:34 PM.
    Eggie.

I've got my glass of wine, let's get going.
    Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)
    Jeep Cherokee CRD (swambo)

Have a cold one (or more), and get back. Would love to hear about the "crux" thing...
    Right, so we have had no power since Friday evening.

I have just had a cold bath.

Mind you, the Engel is running on my high cycle Royal battery, so the beers are at least cold. Pity about the kreef and fillet in the deep freeze.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybritz View Post
    is their anybody out there that knows about batteries?
    There are too many. It's like the controversial "which is better, diesel or petrol" or "Toyota or Landie" or ...

Franz

Diesel and yes Toyota ofcourse

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Right, so we have had no power since Friday evening.

I have just had a cold bath.

Mind you, the Engel is running on my high cycle Royal battery, so the beers are at least cold. Pity about the kreef and fillet in the deep freeze.

Battery selection, performance, durability, suitability is subject to different factors. That is primarily what makes this a controversial and sticky subject.

What I say and what you say could be different, but both could be accurate (or wrong) - the context determines this. Grabbing a few specs and elaborating on that can easily be misleading as Fluffy so colourfully demonstrated. I hope the cold bath helped. And get that solar water system installed before Eksdom puts us all in the dark & cold.

Now lets get started with that thing about so "riddled with rubbish that it doesnt warrant comment" bit. I have six cold ones at the ready.
    Eggie.

neither is better than the other (same as vehicles) - it depends on the application

Normal Batteries
    - large power in short bursts
    - doesn't like being run down flat
    - less charging cycles lifespan
    - fast charge

Deep Cycle Batteries
    - low power in long duration
    - can be run down fairly flat without negative effects
    - more charging cycles lifespan
    - prefers slow charge

These points go into great detail and the variances of it can be discussed to no end as is some brand comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    neither is better than the other (same as vehicles) - it depends on the application
    Normal Batteries
    - large power in short bursts
    - doesn't like being run down flat
    - less charging cycles lifespan
    - fast charge
    Deep Cycle Batteries
    - low power in long duration
    - can be run down fairly flat without negative effects
    - more charging cycles lifespan
    - prefers slow charge
    These points go into great detail and the variances of it can be discussed to no end as is some brand comparisons.
    This might be true for Flooded Lead Acid batteries, the everyday car battery of a few years back, but with Gel and especially AGM, things have changed big time.
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

Kiri, is it not true that the average/typical car battery is still of the flooded type?

Gel is not suited to car starting, whereas AGM will do very nicely, but at a premium (cost).
    Eggie.

Eggie, I replied to the post of Marius"the everyday car battery of a few years back"
    His advantages of starting and deep cycle batteries don't hold water any longer, with new Gel and AGM technology.
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

Why do you want a deep cycle battery if you fridge cut out at about 11v
    automatically ? My last deep cycle battery packed up a few months ago ( about 4 years old. ) I replaced it with a sealed car battery. Yes if you run lights and stuff and really needs to drain a battery I will go Deep cycle.
    grips

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Why do you want a deep cycle battery if you fridge cut out at about 11v automatically ? My last deep cycle battery packed up a few months ago ( about 4 years old. ) I replaced it with a sealed car battery. Yes if you run lights and stuff and really needs to drain a battery I will go Deep cycle.
    grips
    Grips, 11V is not a magical voltage cut-off point that will save your battery for long service. With all factors taken into account that 11V cut-off means that your battery will probably recover by itself to about 12V when the load is disconnected. Check this with a meter 30 to 60 minutes after disconnect.

It means that your battery is now about 75% discharged. Bad news for a car battery. You will have a battery that will die on you way too soon when you do this. Your deepcyle is better dsigned to handle just this very type of "abuse".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eggie.

Eggie ,
    I agree with all the above said . The point I want to make is that my dual battery seldom has to power my stuff for longer than 12 hours with out a charge. Have not once run a battery flat. The only time I had trouble was when a T-Max system packed up. I am in the Electro technical field an know all the tech stuff about batteries and charges. Two of my Deep cycle batteries in my Off road caravan packed up during last year. I usually trickle charge them when in storage. A friend of mine only uses lead acid batteries for camping purposes and he got about similar life out of his batteries than me. But horses for courses , yes if your application need a deep cycle install it.
    grips

Some interesting battery resources

Don't you also find it interesting that nowhere on these (and other) battery "bible" websites do you find any reference to the "new" lead crystal technology?
    Eggie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast