Lifts & Tyre Sizes

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Question Lifts & Tyre Sizes

Hier is 'n chart van hoe groot bande jy kan opsit met hoogte van lift:

http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/tires.htm

dit is miskien 'n goeie maatstaf om te volg... iets wat ek nie gedoen het nie.

Dis nogal 'n goed om daarna te kyk voor mens dalk te groot wil gaan. Daar is ook hope inligting in die verband op die jeepforum en op jeepsunlimited.

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Question Lifts & Tyre Sizes

Some of the guys have asked some questions relating to how much lift you need for a particular tyre size. I found some useful stuff on the JP magazine website. Here's some charts depicting what tyre size is possible with what lift...

Hope this helps to answer some of the questions - maybe it would be a good idea to make this a sticky... What do you guys think?

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Thanks for the handy tyre size websites.

I am quite amazed by how much the actual measurements differ of the same size of different manufacturers.

I measured the overall hights of the following makes of tyres on my two Jeeps.

One is fitted with 235/65X17 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S tyres and the other one with Goodyear 235/65X17 SR-A tyres.

The Yokohamas are about 2cm higher than the Goodyears, but the Goodyears are slightly wider!I must also add that the Goodyears now need replacement and the Yokohamas are fairly new (covered about 9 000 km).

Does anybody know of a website where the specs of the different makes of tyres can be compared?

You'll have to look at the specific tyre manufacturer website, they normally give details regarding each tyre and the respective size. Just a word of caution, some manufacturers are very optimistic regarding size - I had a set of 30x9.5x15 BFG AT's on my previous Jeep, IIRC according to the BFG website they were supposed to be 29.5" but they were actually only about 28.5".

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Default JK Owners - some new equipment available through LA Sport

RANCHOŽ JEEP WRANGLER JK SUSPENSION SYSTEMS INTRODUCED BY TJM Products

Rancho Delivers Rockcrawler and Sport Options for New Jeep Design; Both Systems Easily Accommodate 35-in. Tires
    The brand built on “no-compromise” off-road-proven suspensions is again at the forefront of the market two new application-engineered suspension systems for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK.
    The Rancho systems incorporate its legendary Jeep heritage and engineering excellence into each design.
    Rancho’s first option for the Wrangler JK is the Long-Arm Rockcrawler system (p/n RS6508B), engineered for high articulation and increased ground clearance required in demanding off-road adventures. The Rockcrawler system includes an all-new, exclusive Rancho design: self-lubricating spherical composite rod-ends that deliver enhanced off-road performance and improved ride quality.
    The Rancho Rockcrawler edition is compatible with optional competition grade coil springs for vehicles running at maximum GVW. The new Rancho system also includes a front and rear track bar relocation bracket and heavy duty, quick-disconnect front sway-bar end links to deliver a zero-bind steering envelope and a forged pitman arm that allows for optimal steering geometry and minimized bump steer.
    Rancho’s second option for the new Jeep Wrangler JK is the new Sport system (p/n RS6507B). Designed for quick and easy installation, the Rancho Sport system offers a high-clearance drop bracket design that requires no cutting or welding during installation. This system also includes a front and rear track bar relocation bracket and a forged pitman arm. This system also is fully compatible with the competition-grade coil-springs.
    For more information on the new Rancho Wrangler JK systems or other Rancho products, contact your local LA Sport Dealer

NEW!

WARNŽ ROCK CRAWLER FRONT BUMPER FOR THE JEEPŽ WRANGLER JK

When Jeep released the all-new 2007 Wrangler (JK), Warn Industries made sure to offer the aftermarket performance parts needed to make this vehicle ready for the toughest off-road adventures. To accommodate JK enthusiasts, Warn Industries has launched a front Rock Crawler Bumper for this vehicle.
    The WARN Rock Crawler Bumper is constructed from heavy 3/16" and 1/4" steel, and is CNC formed and robotically welded. The bumper features tapered ends for an increased approach angle; welded eyelets to mount D-shackles, for increased recovery options, and round light ports. For added vehicle protection, there's an optional front Grille Guard Tube.
    To top it off, a black powder-coated wrinkle finish provides good looks and outstanding durability.
    Warn Rock Crawler Bumpers are now available from your local LA Sport Dealer.
    Last edited by Jeepster; 2007/12/04 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Cleaning up and formatting
    2007 Jeep Wrangler 2.8 CRD Unlimited (Maggie) - Sold
    2002 Land Rover Td5 Hard Top (Thimba) - Sold
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
    [SIGPIC]

Moderator note: Off topic but relevant posts moved to new thread as requested by Jeep guys
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=17735
    non relevant stuff nuked.
    Last edited by Spike; 2008/03/10 at 07:57 PM.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sę in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Jeeper, here is a nice site for comparing different tire makes and sizes:
    http://www.tirerack.com/

I order my Jeep Wrangler about a month ago, dealership confirmed that I can collect it next week. Already have a set of Goodyear Wrangler 315/75PR16s, but still need to buy a set of rims. Tire guide says the rims must be between 8" and 10" wide.

Any idea where I can get a set? I stay in Port Elizabeth. I'll also need to do the suspension lift and change the gear ratios.

If anyone can give me some advice.

Default KJ Lift

hey guys, can anyone recommend a 4x4 centre in Durban? After returning yesterday from Mocambique I realise that my KJ needs more ground clearance! My 2003 Jeep is 100% stock standard at the moment, and its just got no clearance. Where does a novice start? I don't do much off-road, probably Sani Pass and Mocambique each once a year. Thanks for any input. Cheers Matthew

What is it with this thread that it attracts all the off-topic comments?!

Please everyone... don't reply to a sticky thread (i.e. like this one you're looking at now) unless you have reference information to add.
    Last edited by charlatan; 2008/06/12 at 09:09 PM.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewI View Post
    hey guys, can anyone recommend a 4x4 centre in Durban? After returning yesterday from Mocambique I realise that my KJ needs more ground clearance! My 2003 Jeep is 100% stock standard at the moment, and its just got no clearance. Where does a novice start? I don't do much off-road, probably Sani Pass and Mocambique each once a year. Thanks for any input. Cheers Matthew
    UPDATE - Safari Centre in Gateway have quoted on the OME926 and OME948 coil combination with OME NS131 nitro shocks. They reckon this will give me around the 1.5" lift mark! Can anyone comment? I have also decided to have the ARB bumper and winch done at the same time. Eish!

Default maximum tyre size

I have read the chart with regards to maximum tyre size etc...... but, the question is, has anyone out there actually gone to a tyre bigger than the 235 or 245 / 70 / 16 ?

I am wanting/hoping to go to a 245/75/16 but am concerned about the tyres touching the bodywork at some point. I could always modify seeing as everything that it would touch seems to be plastic protection covers...
    ARB bullbar / OME suspension / WARN winch / And 2 x built-in headrest DVD players for the kids during dads fun time! and just recently, Jeep 5 spoke mages and BF Goodrich tyres!

UPDATE - Safari Centre in Gateway have quoted on the OME926 and OME948 coil combination with OME NS131 nitro shocks. They reckon this will give me around the 1.5" lift mark! Can anyone comment? I have also decided to have the ARB bumper and winch done at the same time. Eish!
    Matthew - I have a 2003 Jeep Cherokee CRD and also needed some lift as it was hooking all over the place offroad.

I did some research and it seemed to me that the Ironman and OME gave exactly the same lift, but for half the price. The OME kit worked out to about R12000.00 and the Ironman R6500.00.

Needless to say, I installed the Ironman coils and shocks and don't look back for a second. It gained about 40 - 50mm.

On the Tyres, i also looked at bigger sizes, but your biggest problem on the Liberty is the back mudguards that hook if the tyre is too big, due to the huge travel acommodated by the suspension. This is better due to the Ironman kit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    On the Tyres, i also looked at bigger sizes, but your biggest problem on the Liberty is the back mudguards that hook if the tyre is too big, due to the huge travel acommodated by the suspension. This is better due to the Ironman kit though.
    hi Gizmo, do you have the Sport or Limited version? Something is baffling me and thats that the Ltd version has 17" mags, and the Sport 16", they both have the same body, so surely I can go to at least a 235/75/16 without any problems? Oh, and I went with the OME suspension, yip was R12k and gave me 55mm lift at the back and 50mm front (mainly due to the ARB bumper and winch weight) Cheers
    Matthew
    ARB bullbar / OME suspension / WARN winch / And 2 x built-in headrest DVD players for the kids during dads fun time! and just recently, Jeep 5 spoke mages and BF Goodrich tyres!

tzjoubert Guest

Anyone have any info on the allowable tyre size for 2" lift on a Jeep Commander ??

Jenga Guest

hi Gizmo, do you have the Sport or Limited version? Something is baffling me and thats that the Ltd version has 17" mags, and the Sport 16", they both have the same body, so surely I can go to at least a 235/75/16 without any problems? Oh, and I went with the OME suspension, yip was R12k and gave me 55mm lift at the back and 50mm front (mainly due to the ARB bumper and winch weight) Cheers
    Matthew
    Mathew,

What's the OME part numbers on the fitment you've done?

OME926 or 927 Front Coils?
    OME947 or 948 Rear Coils?
    Shocks?

Default Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Tyres

Hi All

Can anybody explain why the price of the standard Goodyear Wrangler tyre P255/75/17 is so expensive, best price R4000 per tyre. Can another size tyre be fitted to the wrangler unlimited. Are there also any standard 4x4 mag wheels that fit the wrangler unlimited and if so, where can i enquire about these. I am awaiting feedback from Tiger Wheel on this.

Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHAN View Post
    Hi All

Can anybody explain why the price of the standard Goodyear Wrangler tyre P255/75/17 is so expensive, best price R4000 per tyre. Can another size tyre be fitted to the wrangler unlimited. Are there also any standard 4x4 mag wheels that fit the wrangler unlimited and if so, where can i enquire about these. I am awaiting feedback from Tiger Wheel on this.

Vaughan
    Hi Vaughan,

You will be able to fit any size up to a 33" diameter on the stock wheels without a lift.

I am not sure of the 17 inch tyre sizes, but try 33/12.5x17 or 33/11.5x17 or 265/75R17 or 285/70R17 or 305/65R17.

Speak to Jaco at Autoquip in Alberton, he does advertise on the forum and loves the Jeeps 011 869 0440

Wheels are a bit of an issue at the moment. You can get a set of Procomp Wheels from After Market Sales 011 795 3682.

If you are going to be buying new wheels, rather buy a 16" rim. The tyre prices are cheaper than the 17's.

Happy hunting
    J4F

Give Jeep Century City a call, and speak to Theuns, he has a Commander that he has lifted and put 33" tires on, looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tzjoubert View Post
    Anyone have any info on the allowable tyre size for 2" lift on a Jeep Commander ??

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee WK 2006 4.7L Lift Kit and Winch

I am looking at lifting my WK 2" and fitting a winch in the bumper. I dont want to replace the bumper, just fit it in there. Anyone got any advice on where to get the lift in and winch fitted in Cape Town?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast