Pajero Gen2 V6 vs Disco 1 V8 vs Jeep Cherokee KJ V6 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Haha Simon, that is good advice but I cant help to think that it wont matter what issue there is, you make it sound like something small!!! haha thats just brilliant. (But i agree with you!)

Price is too high, should be more like 10 to 15K lower

I agree Dave , R85 - R90k would be a fair price for this vehicle...

Most guys seem to agree that when it comes to availability and pricing on spares , the Pajero is best route ...

So I'm assuming repairs on the Pajero would be much cheaper than Disco or Jeep

So can I also assume when it comes to repair/maintenance costs :

1] Jeep - highest cost
    2] Disco - high cost
    3] Pajero - medium cost
    4] nothing = low cost

Thanks....

Wink Sort of agree

So I'm assuming repairs on the Pajero would be much cheaper than Disco or Jeep
    So can I also assume when it comes to repair/maintenance costs :
    1] Jeep - highest cost
    2] Disco - high cost
    3] Pajero - medium cost
    4] nothing = low cost
    Thanks....[/QUOTE]

That is assuming all three vehicles are in the same condition when purchasing. A messed up Pajero to start with will cost more in maintaince than a Jeep that is in excellent condition. So choose carefully and don't say "I should have" afterwards, buy the vehicle and be happy. Vehicle number 4 is definitly the cheapest but also by far the most boring .. Push the guy on the blister Pajero for price, it's really a nice vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by coert View Post
    Taai ene die besluite besluite want almal is goeie voertuie in hul eie reg. Is ewe goed in die veld dit is maar n persoonlike besluit op die end van die dag. Kry die een wat vir jou goed voel en waar mee jy gemaklik is of gaan wees. Ek glo almal se onderhoud is maar ewe duur hang af wat breek. Jy moet net eers rond shop voor dat jy parte ens koop. Bly liefs weg van die agente jy betaal 75% vir die naam en die res vir die part.
    Ps. Land rover is nie vir sissies nie
    Ditto.
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Hi Z Offroad

I recently convinced my swambo that it was a good idea for our family to get a 4X4. If swambo is resistant to the idea - put in things like:
    "Yes, but going away camping for a weekend at a 4x4 trail is something the whole family can do as opposed to me getting into golf and taking 4 to 5 hours out on my own on a Saturday"

Since we have fairly young kids who we both dont get to see as often as we would like (being working people in the corporate world) this really gave big swing toward the FD saying "Thats a great idea babe".

IMHO - the disco is the best buy - Ive test driven a pajero 3.2 did SWB and a few disco 2 v8. What Ive found is that the disco for the same price will often (not always) have lower mileage than the Jap vehicles I typically looked at ie: pajero, land cruiser, fortuner, hilux, patrol etc..
    The V8 disco WILL guzzle gas and from what I hear, one may just [email protected] themselves once they realise that they fillled up 3 days ago.
    Thats just M2CW.

Also, I would advise that you take the vehicle to a reputable independant mechanic like 4x4 worx in Randburg - they will put a car you are interested in on the jack, do a visual inspection on the underside of the body, check the motor and do an oil test which will tell you of potential engine problems with bearings, if the vehicle has over heated etc. The oil test costs R400 but well worth it. I took a Landy there this week to get some peace of mind and if all goes well, will have my new beast this week end (if the bank can get off their backsides )

I really suggest you take a few Landys for a spin, they are VERY comfortable vehicles and will be more than adequate for what you want... My humble opinion of course - as im still in the market for my first 4X4

PS: I did take my father in laws SWB pajero away for a weekend and it was AWSOME - but for my personal criteria - I cant afford the ones which have the sort of mileage Im looking for, hence my decision to test Landy Disco 2's.
    Last edited by cordell.dutoit; 2012/02/16 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks For the info.

The reason I've steered away from Disco is you hear all negative comments about them but no ones been able come out and say which is rotten egg in the Disco range.
    i.e Disco 1 TD6 or Disco 2 V8 etc.

I'm sure the Freelander is the rotten egg in whole Landy family but still not sure which Disco to stay clear off !!

Quote Originally Posted by z_offroad View Post
    Thanks For the info.
    The reason I've steered away from Disco is you hear all negative comments about them but no ones been able come out and say which is rotten egg in the Disco range.
    i.e Disco 1 TD6 or Disco 2 V8 etc.
    I'm sure the Freelander is the rotten egg in whole Landy family but still not sure which Disco to stay clear off !!
    The V8 Discos seem to be ok. Not much of a difference maintenance wise than with the other vehicles of that age.

Jeep KJ: unlike stated above, it doesn't have a solid front axle. If you don't need a lot of packing space, check out the boxy type Cherokee before the KJ. That 4.0 6 cylinder is a gem. That one does have a solid front axle and they are fairly cheap to come by. Read through the Jeep section, you will see how well liked they are.
    The KJ as such can be a bit temperamental on it's hindlegs. The tail steps out rather easily on wet tar or on gravel, even with good tyres. If you manage to find a 2002 one, you might be lucky and it won't have the lowered suspension yet.

Mitsubishi suffers at the moment of serious part supply problem. A lot of people wait for spares for several weeks or months, even for simple things. You might end up buying a vehicle and won't see it for the next 6 weeks, because it is stuck in the workshop waiting for the spare that is needed.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Ok guys, took a 2000 Pajero 3.5 SWB for test drive, guy wants R99k for it but has done 220k km which to seems expensive for hi mileage.
    You can get a Disco 1 V8 for half of that price. That is already a disco 2 price range.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Hi Silver_Shadow,

Seeing that you drive Disco3 V8 ,

whats is expected consumption on the V8 in city and freeway ...

Was expecting around 17l /100km on Jeep GC 4.7l V8
    and around 14l /100km on Jeep Cherokee 3.7l V6 .

and closer to the 20l/ 100km for a Range Rover V8

Thanks,

Hi Silver_Shadow,

Seeing that you drive Disco3 V8 ,

whats is expected consumption on the V8 in city and freeway ...

Was expecting around 17l /100km on Jeep GC 4.7l V8
    and around 14l /100km on Jeep Cherokee 3.7l V6 .

and closer to the 20l/ 100km for a Range Rover V8

Thanks,
    Sorry for the late reply.

The city consumption is between 5.5 and 6 km per liter. The freeway consumption is between 6.5 and 7.5 km per liter.

it is also much in line with what you are stating for the jeeps.

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2