Botswana in a Terios

Default Botswana in a Terios

Hi all
    I bought a demo (2011) 4x4 Terios package with many extra's and decided to fit aftermarket springs, shocks, dual battery system, an Indel B 45 L fridge / freezer and a decent set of A/T tyres (BFG's!) (p.s. The Terios now looks damn sexy with the BFG's!).

My wife and I decided we would undertake a trip to Botswana during the first two weeks of December 2011. We left for Twee Rivieren where our after-market shocks rattled loose. After a 3 hour battle, we managed to get the shock back in place and properly fastened! We then left for Nossob, where en route we were fortunate enough to come across 4 lions at Kij Kij. The poor state of the roads to and within the park resulted in my fridge/freezer connection also rattling loose, shorting and melting it into a useless blob of plastic. Needless to say, after much swearing, this too was fixed and we headed from Nossob to Mabuasehube. The public road is very badly corrugated and we had a very bone jarring trip to our campsite. On arriving at our campsite, we met a couple enjoying sundowners who were fairly surprised to see a Terios within the park!
    Having double checked the vehicle, it seemed that all was eventually 100% in working order - the holiday could begin in earnest! (much to my wife's delight - I can be a grumpy sod at times)
    We found the roads within Mabuasehube to be in a very good condition. Unfortunately, due to the recent fire and late rains, most of the game had left the park in search of greener pastures....
    After a nightly visit by 3 hyena scavenging through our campsite, we left with a heavy heart to go to Maun. The road from the park to Hukuntsi is long and very bumpy. Thankfully we took extra fuel along as the consumption went up to 14 l / 100 km due to the soft sand! We sustained our only damage to the vehicle here where the "middel mannetjie" caught our trailer plug and did some damage to the the rear bumper.

We passed through Hukuntsi as there was no petrol and refuelled at Kang.

The road to Maun is tar and in a very good condition. Please note that there are no fences along this stretch of the road and the number of carcasses at the side of the road was quite an eye opener!

After an enjoyable mokoro trip on the delta (Okavango Kopano Mokoro Community Trust) we headed for the eastern pan handle. The rain did not stop for almost 20 hours by the time we got to our campsite. As we drove through Moremi, Savuti and Chobe, we were stopped by all and sundry inquiring whether or not we were lost, knew our way out and if our vehicle was holding out. Interestingly enough, they were all Land Rover drivers.... Suppose it must have come as a shock to see a wannabe 4x4 Toyota go into areas previously reserved for the "best 4x4xfar"! hehehe!!!

Our little Terios performed remarkably well and we remain seriously impressed! We were advised prior to and throughout the trip that the rainy season could pose a serious obstacle to the little 4x4. The car took us everywhere we wanted to go except for a few spots where I thought my wife's nerves may result in a very rapid termination of our marriage vows.... The little 4x4 pulled us through all the obstacles en route without getting us stuck once. Apart from the minor "issues" with the "add-on's", no serious concerns were raised throughout the trip! Well done Daihatsu for producing a very capable little 4x4!

p.s. Many thanks must go to Roger and Olli whom we met along the route for the hospitality and good company!

well done, cheaper option than "proper" 4x4
    96 Pajero 3.5L V6 LWB + TJM Xtra Gas shocks rear, KONI Heavy Track shocks front, Air Lift Coil Spring rear, bash plate front and Firestone ATX tires. Radio 29MHz GME GX300 - http://www.youtube.com/user/tomaszstochmal

Congrats on your trip - All Landy owners know Japan builds excellent vehicles!

How did you handle the water crossings?

Did the lions approve of your ground tent? My girl friend is nervous. Would prefer a RTT!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

hehehe! the vehicle handled the water crossings pretty well - knee deep was the deepest i was going to risk it considering we were on a solo trip...

we had no problems with the tent. it was my wife's first trip into the "wilderness" and she was terrified of all the potential risks. She came out of it much the wiser and a damn side braver!!! she also was wanting a RTT, but due to the short notice of our trip, settled on our trusty A-frame. we had no problems with the ground tent - it survived 3 hyena (they were so close we could hear their breathing!) scavenging in the camp. as for the lion - they can jump, so a RTT would not have helped either way really(?). it provides a good peace of mind for virgin campers, but i do not believe it offers improved protection for a hungry lion intent on doing some bonnet hopping! it is pretty much like burglar bars - they only keep the lazy criminals at bay....

re the Japanese vehicles: we actually had a very late night debate with Roger the one evening re the pro's and con's between the landies and cruisers... both good vehicles for their intended purposes, but i would still not be seen dead in a landy!

How much extra fuel did you take - I presume your tank is around 40l? Were you able to find lead free? What range do you need between refuelling stops?

Could you detail your route though Moremi, Savuti and Chobe.

Tents - I must send SWAMBO for training! Your wife is to be congratulated for her bravery.

Landies - they are the best - been around the longest

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

the fuel tank is 50 l and i took an extra 40 l with. all the petrol stations which had petrol stocked unleaded. due to it being my first time further than Gabs, i was uncertain re the fuel supply and consequently filled up at every opportunity. the longest stretch i was going to travel was about 600 km between Nossob and Kang where i was fairly certain i was not going to find a "working" petrol station.
    otherwise, fuel was obtainable at all towns we stopped at (except Hukuntsi). i must have filled up every 200 - 300 km, just to be on the safe side.
    a good guide to follow when going off road is to take enough fuel to equate to double your average fuel consumption over the set distance (and a little extra for game drives).
    petrol there is P8.30 / l if my memory serves me correctly. the R / P exchange rate is R 1.10 to 1 Pula - so the fuel cost should equate to R9.13 / l.

due to the soft sand between Nossob and Hukuntsi, my consumption increased from 9.7 to 14 l / 100 km. as this is still a new vehicle, i am still not 100% sure of the average l /100km. prior to the fitment of the BFG's, i was getting 8.5 l / 100 km and after their fitment, my consumption went up to 9.7 / 100 km. on returning now to Cape Town, i have noticed my needle seems to be dropping slower towards the "E". i would have to assume the consumption would therefore now be closer to 9 l / 100 km. i must still refuel now that the vehicle has been unpacked, so will only know the improvement shortly). as soon as i know the current fuel consumption i shall post.

as for the route we traveled in the Moremi / Chobe / Savuti: there are new roads which have not been included on the T4A maps. if only i could get my new albeit useless garmin to work to download the routes onto my pc, i would be able to post all the new roads. essentially we went through the south gate (Moremi), exited through the north gate and traveled on the "unmarked" roads (purely to get them recorded). we used Kwai as our base camp and explored from there. we were going to risk going through to Kasane, but i was afraid to risk it as i didn't have enough fuel for an emergency return trip should our route be blocked half way through. . this as we were advised that due to the heavy down pours, the road may have become saturated and have turned into a mud bath (and impassable to even landies). maybe next time!

Many thanks for all the info - I guess you are already planning your next trip!

pleasure..
    so much to see, so little time!
    yes, we are planning our next trip, but i am not too sure the bank manager thinks its a good idea he will need convincing!

Robin
    2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D ID D/C P/U
    Kitted out and ready for an African safari....

Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they did not stop to enjoy it....

Hi Terroris

Thanks for posting the info about your trip.

I'm looking to do something similar also in a Terios 2008 4x4 offroad version...

We are travelling from Cape Town in March and have about 2 to 3 weeks to enjoy.

I'm still figuring all the details. I don't know botswana at all and no idea what the roads are like. But it would be nice to spend at least a little time in Botswana after spending some time in the SA side of the Kgalagadi.

Any idea what the roads would be like that time of year? It might be wetter? A trip to Mabuasehube could be great.... would you recommend going all the way up to Maun?

I assume you wouldn't discourage me from doing it the the Terios?!

Any other thoughts?

Hi Terroris,

Just thought to comment on your original post:
    - Do you still drive a Terrios or have you eventually decided that the Landy is the only way to go?
    - On your comment about marriage vows, are you still married tpo the same lady?
    - Its not the vows that concern most of us but the perks.
    Last edited by TRON; 2016/01/15 at 11:12 AM.

Default Re: Botswana in a Terios

Hi Terrios.

Along the way did you ever have the need to engage your low-range or diff-locks etc. (Sorry, I'm not sure what options the 4x4 Terrios has) or were the BFG's and relatively light weight of the vehicle enough to keep you going? Did you need to carry/use sand tracks at an point?

I ask because I have a RAV4 AWD and am wondering whether I should risk such a trip, or just go along the "easier" paths along the Tuli Block etc.

I'm not assuming that I can go EVERYWHERE with my RAV, but would like to know that I can venture further than Tuli Block...to a certain extent... in my RAV without getting stuck every 100m

1999 Toyota Prado TZ, 3.4L, V6, petrol, auto