DIY Tent

Thread: DIY Tent

Question DIY Tent

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm considering manufacturing my own spec tent. Does anyone know where I can get the suitable fabrics, preferably in the JHB area.

Looking for either ripstop polyester or nylon of various water column grades and "No-See-Um Mosquito Netting".

While on the topic, any advice on polyster vs nylon will be appreciated.

Is Silnylon available locally?

TIA

You can go fast but....I can go anywhere!

Google the name Hayford Traders. Hulle is in Midrand. Jy sal alle tentmateriaal by hul kry, die winkel by hul verkoop al die Zips en goodies. Baie oulike plek, Onthou net, dit is 'n groothandel plek, maar verkoop aan die publiek en as hul vir jou korter lengtes moet sny vra hul R8 pm duurder, steeds die beste prys in die land.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Hoe dik en swaar wil jy jou tent he? Ek gebruik Ripstof of ook soms die polyester. dit is nie so dik nie, baie dun, maar sal nie so lank hou soos ripstof nie.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Hoe dik en swaar wil jy jou tent he? Ek gebruik Ripstof of ook soms die polyester. dit is nie so dik nie, baie dun, maar sal nie so lank hou soos ripstof nie.
    So lig as moontlik, maar hy moet my daarem kan droog hou tydens a donderstorm

Wel probeer hul gerus. Hul gee 'n volledige beskrywing van elke materiaal op hul webwerf en die dun materiaal kan met 'n gewone masjien gewerk word. Die Ripstof moet met 'n industrieele masjien gewerk word.

Hul verkoop ook die materiaal met die foil op wat jy bo-oor kan span vir die son.

Kontak hul gerus. Hul is in Midrand.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Google the name Hayford Traders. Hulle is in Midrand. Jy sal alle tentmateriaal by hul kry, die winkel by hul verkoop al die Zips en goodies. Baie oulike plek,
    Dankie Elize ek sal hulle more bel en a bietjie hoor wat hulle aanskaf.

Ek lees op hulle webwerf dat hulle n produk "poly-Oxford" het wat hulle anbeveel vir tente ens. Ek sien alhoewel dat die materiaal net n water kolom van 600mm het, dit klink heeltemal te min vir n "flysheet".

If you are wanting it to be light, does this mean you are planning on a back-packer's type tent? Will you be hiking with it rather than driving?

Anyway, a fly-sheet is the answer to staying dry in a thunderstorm, and that can be very lightweight so long as it is well spaced off the main tent. Also, consider having your groundsheet extend up the sides a little way, to prevent wicking moisture up from wet ground. Two light layers is better than one heavy layer in terms of weather performance. I'm not aware of any great differences between coated nylon and polyester fabrics.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Daar is 3 soorte. 600D, Poly-oxford en 210TPolyester. Gaan voel aan die materiaal - dan sal jy kan bepaal die dikte en ook hoe sterk dit is.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    Sarel 0828209413

Thanks for your reply Mike. No, looking at a driving tent. I do want something that is lightweight however, not interested in lugging around RTT or heavy canvas type tents. In the past we have used my backpackers tent (a 4 season beast that could probably withstand a hurricane) which is now sadly starting to disintegrate after many years of service. We also procured a big family tent which isn't bad (in weight terms) considering its size. It is quite bulky though, especially when one starts packing in the extra ground sheet. While we have endured some fairly persistent rain in the family tent, I'm not convinced it will keep us dry in a highveld thunderstorm. It's great for the longer duration single campsite type trips.

I agree re the flysheet and the all important space between it and the tent inner. I'm looking at having an inner that is predominantly only mesh, so the flysheet is going to have to be a bit more water resistant than a cotton sheet

I realise with the inner being mesh, this wouldn't be a 3 or a 4 season tent, heck, if the weather get's that bad, into the vehicle we go. I suppose the other option is to have a dual flysheet system...

What would you suggest for the tub?

I suspect there is a greater availability of fabrics in the UK

Well, I don't know about that. We certainly would have more of the alpine-type fabrics, but we don't have so much choice when it comes to your heavy duty ripstop type fabrics. What I haven't yet worked out is why you would make your own rather than buy one. I'm all for doing everything you can yourself, but there are squillions of cheap, light, good quality tents to choose from, and professional seam-sealing is always going to be better than amateur attempts simply because of the high-tech equipment they have. With a bit of luck you can buy a reasonable 3 man lightweight tent over here for as little as the equivalent of R300 or R400 if you wait for the Sales.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

For that price here you'll generally be buying rubbish.

Basically boils down to nothing available that suites my requirements.

I got as far as pricing the materials for my own tent design(lots copied from Oztent) but when I got to the R3k mark I realized,as Mike said,that its the workmanship that really needs to be watched.

.....Can't find a reasonably priced manufacturer to do my idea,all wanted R3k up.

Decided to buy one.
    Oztent
    A legend in his own mind

Stem. as jy nie kan naaldwerk doen nie, koop een. Die materiaal is nie so duur nie, maar jy moet weet wat jy doen.

Ek het so paar daktente die laaste tyd gemaak en dit is baie harde werk. het ook ons een gasebo nuut gemaak, die pale is nog die ou soort, baie sterk, en hy het my so R500 gekos, maar hy het nou 4 kante wat kan oopzip en toezip - vir daar waar die muggies en muskiete so pla. Maar, die arbeid is my arbeid.

Google ook die Junkmail. Ek het gesien daar is heelwat tente te koop.

Indien jy gaan maak, wys ons jou eindproduk. Dit sal baie interresant wees. Gaan vanoggend my gasebo afneeem en gou hier wys.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    Sarel 0828209413

Thanks for the input. I hear you re the sewing work. I'd like to price it nonetheless if I can find suitable fabric. My Mom in Law is pretty nifty with the sewing machine so might be able to twist her arm.

Quote Originally Posted by terratiger View Post
    My Mom in Law is pretty nifty with the sewing machine so might be able to twist her arm.
    If she has a reasonable sewing machine, then buy her a "walking foot"..........probably less than R200.........but necessary for feeding slippery materials such as nylon or polyester through the machine without slippage or tension issues. Aslo make sure she starts the job with a new needle.

You have to think very very carefully about the order you work in, too. For instance, it is usually neccessary to attach all of the loops and clips and velcro etc before you sew up the major seams. Sewing a tent is a two man job, too, because of the bulk of fabric that needs handling and supporting, unless you MIL has access to a level-bed table.

Mike