Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Post warranty D3 TDV6: some questions

Hi everyone
    Here's my first post on this forum... (although i was previously a member of the 4xforum...about 6 years ago i think) Anyway, I have some questions and I would much appreciate some answers:
    I am in the market for a nice big fancy used TD suv and I wish to spend around R200k-ish. I aim to do mainly tar road/gravel road family holidays and my main requirement is good pulling power and the ability to overtake on hills. Also some 4x4 here and there, mostly west coast sand tracks and Namib dunes. The D3 TDV6 is top of my list, and it will probably be post warranty. Now I have trawled around this forum as best I can, but please point me to previous threads where necessary as I realize that probably all these questions have already been asked (more than once!)
    1. What are the main 'problems' of the TDV6, especially 'post warranty'?
    2. How do I go about checking these problems? AA test? I read somewhere about a VIN number. I am quite handy around a basic old style diesel engines (many years on boats), but i find the electronics and gadgets on these new engines daunting.
    3. I live in Hermanus and I would much prefer to have a local garage here look after the D3. Is this viable? Can they work the computer, re-set the service thingy etc? Anyone from Hermanus on the forum with info on local garages?
    4. What kind of milage do these TDV6 D3 get? Anyone reached 300k or 400k?
    5. I've read about issues with 2006 versus post 2007 models... is this true... obviously there is a big difference in price between a 2006 and 2008...Does the post 2007 D3 look different to the pre 2007 D3?
    6. What kind of milage is realistic/acceptable for a R200k D3 tdv6
    7. Is a used D3 like this a good option of 'sny ek vir my 'n lat vir my eie gat'?
    I've owned a few 4x4's: Pajero 3.2 did, Landy series 3 SWB, Mazda 2,5td bakkie (my current sand mobile). I like the sound of 140kw engine of the Disco. I loved my Did, but the shape is just too dated compared to the Disco and others. I wonder how the 120kw Did compares to the 140kw TDV6 on an uphill overtake? I am trying hard not too default into buying a Fortuner, so please help!! Another vehicle lower down on my shortlist is the Jeep GC 3.0CRD.
    Many questions I know.
    thanks a million,
    Golla

I would not touch the d3. I also looked into this some time back as the price is very attractive. The d2 is still sensible. On the d3, and particularly the diesel version, any minor issue will sit you with a 100k bill on a vehicle that you only paid 200k for. My last disco was a gs td5. I specifically bought the gs because it did not have air suspension. You will pay thousands when that packs up, and it will.

If the engine gives problems, you will be in for a massive bill.

I love land rover, and the disco is a fantastic vehicle when it is working, but if anything goes wrong, the bills are just too big. I now drive an amarok and the first thing I asked the dealer was what a turbo, gearbox and engine cost? Do yourself a favor and ask the same questions re the d3, then decide. I would be more inclined to pick up the lowest mileage d2 v8 if you must have a landy and suck up the fuel bills. It will be cheaper than touching tdv6 when it give up the ghost.

Cheers
    Stephen

Ps I "gave" my d2 to three lions landrover for 44k when the cylinder head gave up the ghost. At the time it was probably worth around 80k, and it was going to cost around 50k to put a new cylinder head on an old engine. Are you prepared to do that on your d3.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I would not touch the d3. I also looked into this some time back as the price is very attractive. The d2 is still sensible. On the d3, and particularly the diesel version, any minor issue will sit you with a 100k bill on a vehicle that you only paid 200k for. My last disco was a gs td5. I specifically bought the gs because it did not have air suspension. You will pay thousands when that packs up, and it will.

I love land rover, and the disco is a fantastic vehicle when it is working, but if anything goes wrong, the bills are just too big. I now drive an amarok and the first thing I asked the dealer was what a turbo, gearbox and engine cost? Do yourself a favor and ask the same questions re the d3, then decide. I would be more inclined to pick up the lowest mileage d2 v8 if you must have a landy and suck up the fuel bills. It will be cheaper than touching tdv6 when it give up the ghost.

Cheers
    Stephen

Ps I "gave" my d2 to three lions landrover for 44k when the cylinder head gave up the ghost. At the time it was probably worth around 80k, and it was going to cost around 50k to put a new cylinder head on an old engine. Are you prepared to do that on your d3.
    Think you were getting ripped off there mate
    i have a 2006 D3 TDV6 and i have had nothing but pleasure from my landy if you have it serviced regularly and look after it like any other vehicle it will give you miles of service hassle free
    in my opinion a D3 is the best suv 7 seater around
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT
    BOMVU
    LANDROVER DISCO 3 G4
    OEM BASH PLATE
    OEM REAR LADDER
    G4 DECALS
    OEM ROOF RACK
    SNORKEL
    DECATTED & EGR BLANK OFFS
    TORQ TUNED BY BABEN
    HOWLINGMOON STAR GAZERrtt
    MAXXIS MUDS
    FRONT RUNNER DRAW SYSTEM
    FRONT RUNNER REAR WHEEL CARRIER
    DISCOEAST RODS
    CONQERUER COMPACT
    D4 TDV6 Swambo

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    Think you were getting ripped off there mate
    i have a 2006 D3 TDV6 and i have had nothing but pleasure from my landy if you have it serviced regularly and look after it like any other vehicle it will give you miles of service hassle free
    in my opinion a D3 is the best suv 7 seater around

Cheers
    Stephen

Hi Stephen.
    Sorry but that is a load of cr@p. The disco 3 is probably the most reliable vehicle in the whole Land Rover stable. Most of the parts aare available aftermarket although Land Rover SA has dropped their prices on this particular model by as much as 50%. The highest milage I have seen on a Disco 3 is 550k kms. I was a 5a build spec and the owner travelled up to Maun 2 or 3 times a week and he had the car for 5 years and traded in on a Disco 4. The only failure he had was the front diff which was replaced at 120k kms in the first year. Land Rover replaced it FOC part of goodwill warranty. That car was for sale Sept last year for R310k.
    Like any other car out there you can have component failure, but not to the extent of a R100k. THAT IS A LOAD OF HORSE !!.

Insofar as the replacement head of your TD5 head. A brand new AMC head repopulated and installed with injector timing etc should not cost you more than R25k. Ian at 3LIONS is a very reputable Indie and I honestly don't believe what you saying is true.

If you shop around you can buy a whole 19p TD5 motor for R25k complete with turbo and injectors.

Back to Disco 3. I believe you can fill that vehicle up in Jozi and drive to Cairo and back and it will be as reliable as any other vehicle on the market. IMHO.

I now drive an amarok and the first thing I asked the dealer was what a turbo, gearbox and engine cost? Do yourself a favor and ask the same questions re the d3, then decide.
    If my neighbour's repair bills on his turbo diesel Caravelle (around R60K, second time round) and a friend's repair bills on his turbo diesel Touareg (R70 something K) are anything to go by, I hope you have that dealer's response in writing..
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Come D3 owners post your experiences so the oke can make a decision. as a rule I ask the question, worst case scenario? when I decided to buy a D1 V8 the first question I asked was how much an overhaul costs, the response on the forum was at the time R25k give or take. I told myself I can live with that. 3 years down the line I did not need to do an overhaul as yet but if I need to I can live with it. so I ask the question what will it cost to do an overhaul on a D3 R100k? (I dunno), can I live with that, my answer is NO and hence I have not bought one despite me being able to handle the monthly installments. this decision has nothing to do with how good or bad the D3 is, it is just a decision based on 'worst case scenario'. So to the thread starter, my advice is with regard to any make of vehicle is ask the question what is the worst case scenario and can you live with it and you on your way. Any vehicle will require TLC, I read a peugeot is about to clock 1 000 000 km's, then you get those that don't make it to 100 000, always a bit of risk with second hand and out of warrantly, deal with it or by new.
    Die Hard
    "When all else fails, use brute strength & ignorance"
    2005 Disco 3. V8 SE
    1996 Disco 1. 3,9 V8 Manual (Sold)
    1994 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 (Sadly Sold)
    2000 Lada Niva (was loads of fun)
    2004 Renault Megane (Swambo)
    2005 Scott road bike (work commuter)
    2011 Merida 120 (weekend MTB, sadly stolen)
    2014 Specialized Epic 29er (MTB)
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 (road)

Hi guys

No need to flame. I agree that the d3 is way better than a d2, when things are going well. I also think the guys at 3 lions are great and I am only quoting my experience. As I say I ended up selling the car to Ian. Re the d3. Just phone around up and ask what they will charge for a rebuild. I would imagine you would be in for more than 40k just for the injectors. I had a friend who's transfer case gave up the ghost and that was a 45k round trip.

For myself, I would rather look at a v8 but just too much to go wrong on the d3. Sorry just my opinion.

But back to the op. he is going to buy for around 200k which means he is looking at a pretty old vehicle. I am not sure what sort of milage he is going to get, but perhaps user can share.

What will turbos cost him?
    What will new air suspension cost?
    What would a motor rebuild cost?

Say this happens in two years time and his vehicle is now worth less than R100k and he faces a bill of 80k for a engine rebuild?

I think you need to be realistic about what is going to break on is vehicle and are you prepared to pay premium vehicle prices to fix it?

Cheers
    Stephen

Ps cost of head replacement from three lions.

Head 30k
    Gasket set 11k
    Labour 10k

Bear in mind that parts prices change all the time and I don't think Ian was trying to rip me. Diesels are just expensive to replace and repair when they go wrong. Ian advised that a v8 rangy would probably be a better buy if the price is right.

Ether way, you need to educate yourself on some worst case scenario repairs and then pay your money and enjoy the vehicle. I am just saying petrol often ends up cheaper in the long run, even with a v8.

Cheers
    Stephen

My D3 is a TDV6 and I have clocked over 200 000km. no problems whatsoever. The turbo went because a techie at the dealership dropper a bolt in the air intake. thats about it. the rest just normal wear and tear items. One other thing is the D3 parts is alot cheaper than the D2. Also the transpercase issnt near 45k you can get it for way cheaper than that. On the Disco 3 Forum there is a couple guys who clocked over 500 000Miles on the TDV6, and injector problems are nonexistant.

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Hi Stephen.
    Sorry but that is a load of cr@p. The disco 3 is probably the most reliable vehicle in the whole Land Rover stable. Most of the parts aare available aftermarket although Land Rover SA has dropped their prices on this particular model by as much as 50%. The highest milage I have seen on a Disco 3 is 550k kms. I was a 5a build spec and the owner travelled up to Maun 2 or 3 times a week and he had the car for 5 years and traded in on a Disco 4. The only failure he had was the front diff which was replaced at 120k kms in the first year. Land Rover replaced it FOC part of goodwill warranty. That car was for sale Sept last year for R310k.
    Like any other car out there you can have component failure, but not to the extent of a R100k. THAT IS A LOAD OF HORSE !!.
    Insofar as the replacement head of your TD5 head. A brand new AMC head repopulated and installed with injector timing etc should not cost you more than R25k. Ian at 3LIONS is a very reputable Indie and I honestly don't believe what you saying is true.
    If you shop around you can buy a whole 19p TD5 motor for R25k complete with turbo and injectors.
    Back to Disco 3. I believe you can fill that vehicle up in Jozi and drive to Cairo and back and it will be as reliable as any other vehicle on the market. IMHO.
    hoorhoor.
    Discovery 3 Tdv6S '09

Hi Golla , read this taken from an Australian web site.

From CARSALES.COM.AU website

The award-winning Discovery 3 bristles with technology, but is it a suitable second-hand buy for bush work?

Occasionally a landmark vehicle comes along and, more often than not, it emanates from the unlikely British Midlands town of Solihull.
    Some of us are old enough to remember the impact the first Range Rover made on the Australian 4WD scene in 1972. With its all-coil suspension, smooth V8 power and full-time 4WD drivetrain the Rangie took a quantum leap over its leaf-sprung, part-time 4WD Japanese and North American rivals.
    Since 1972 there have been only a few landmark 4WD wagons that introduced new technology and most innovations have come from Land Rover; direct-injection turbo-diesels, variable-height air suspension, electronic traction control and hill descent control being the stand-outs.

TECHNO TOUR DE FORCE
    The all-new Discovery 3 put all these technological advances, and more, into a package that was priced from around $65,000 when new in early 2005.
    The Disco 3 diesel was launched with a choice of two Jaguar-derived petrol engines – a 4.0-litre V6 with156kW and 360Nm and a 4.4-litre V8 with 220kWand 425Nm – and a modified Ford/PSA 2.7-litre V6 turbo-intercooled diesel.
    Variable geometry turbocharging and common-rail, high-pressure injection combined to give the diesel very respectable figures of 140kW at 4000rpm and 440Nm at 1900rpm – just 11kW less than the then-current 4.2-litre LandCruiser turbo-diesel and with 10Nm more torque.
    All three Discovery engines were matched to a six-speed adaptive-shift, Tiptronic-style automatic box.
    The ‘S’ variant rode on coil springs, but SEs and HSEs had four-wheel, variable-height, independent air suspension.
    The S model came with V6 petrol or common-rail V6 turbo-diesel power; 17-inch aluminium wheels; five cloth-covered seats; cruise control; dynamic stability and roll control; traction and hill descent control; manual height-adjustable driver’s seat; tilting-telescopic steering column; single-CD, six-speaker sound system; EBS/ABS brakes; electric park brake; and multiple airbags.
    The standard Discovery SE fare was comprehensive: V6 petrol or common-rail V6 turbo-diesel; electronically-controlled, independent air suspension; 18-inch aluminium wheels; xenon headlights; rear park distance control; seven cloth-covered seats; climate control; and on and off road programming.
    HSEs could be V6 diesel or V8 petrol powered and picked up leather seats, rear air conditioning and an eight-speaker sound system.
    Common options fitted included a locking rear diff, cornering headlights, navigation system, park distance control at the front, and metallic paint.
    The Discovery 3 was refreshed in 2008, with body-coloured bumpers and wheel arch flares being the obvious exterior changes.
    Air suspension was made standard across the range and the SE models scored Hi Ice sound systems and steering wheel controls as standard. HSEs were fitted with a 13-speaker sound system.
    The Discovery 3 was replaced by the Discovery 4 in 2010.

ON- AND OFF-ROAD
    The Discovery 3 is by far the best performing, riding and handling wagon you’ll find in the used market (unless you happen across a Rangie Sport!).
    Most used examples have done little or no off-roading, so you’re unlikely to find one that’s been knocked around. Nearly all the used ones we’ve seen have been the medium-spec’ SE that comes with air suspension and a diesel SE is certainly the model to look for.
    We’ve tested the coil-sprung S model and found its ground clearance unacceptable for off-roading, although there are after-market coils available to give it a much-needed 50mm lift.
    The optional Harmon Kardon sound system is sensational, if you’re lucky enough to find a used Disco 3 that’s kitted out with it.
    The nav system is no better than any other in-car fitment, but the rear diff lock and the literally brilliant cornering lights are worth having.
    The Discovery’s Terrain Response System takes the guess work out of gearing and suspension height selection, so off-roading is also a breeze.
    The Disco 3 Land Rover’s weak link is in very soft sand, where its weight and low-profile tyres don’t do it any favours. Fortunately, there’s now a wider choice of bush tyres in the Disco’s common 17-inch and 18-inch sizes, so that situation can be improved.
    Serious bush travellers are best accommodated by the LT tyres available for 17-inch wheels.
    The Land Rover has very effective hill descent control that can be adjusted for descent speed by using the cruise control plus and minus buttons.
    Diesel fuel consumption depends on load and road conditions, but varies from a best of around 10.2L/100km on freeway running to 14L/100km when off-road.
    Fuel tank capacity is an inadequate 82 litres, but there’s a 95-litre Long Ranger auxiliary tank available. Kaymar has developed a swing-away wheel carrier to take the underbody spare that’s displaced by the add-on fuel tank.
    The Discovery 3 has 12,000km servicing intervals.
    The suspension has a mandatory height drop from its off-road clearance setting when road speed exceeds 40km/h. There are plenty of Australian desert tracks on which it’s safe to run at speeds above 40km/h, but with a need for high ground clearance to avoid touching the underbody on the centre hump, so this can be a bush-driving issue.
    Behind the diesel engine the six-speed auto box upshifts at 4000rpm, regardless of what you do with the gear-holding selector and that can catch out drivers who aren’t anticipating an upshift when they need engine braking or a constant power delivery.
    We’ve tested the Disco 3 with a Tradesman full-length roof rack and a sizeable load up top, but had no trouble with body distortion. The air suspension compensated quite well for the weight of a roof load.
    Air suspension has proved a boon when driving on different surfaces with different loads and towing weights, because the height control system ensures that ground clearance remains constant.
    There’s also no nose-down attitude caused by the additional weight of a steel winch bar and Warn 9500 winch mounted up front.
    The Disco’s Terrain Response system works very well, providing a combination of height control, gearing and throttle response to suit different situations.
    The only quirk with this system is that suspension height changes are created by an increase in air pressure in the air springs and that means the ride quality at full height is very firm.

HOW RELIABLE?
    The main doubt hanging over the Land Rover Discovery 3 is its heritage of less than consistent build quality and the marque’s historical quirkiness and unreliability.
    As with all post-Ford-ownership Solihull products (except the incurable Defender) the build quality question seems to have been answered in the affirmative. Our Discovery test vehicles have been well built and have performed without major problems.
    There were inevitable teething troubles, but most used examples will have had warranty attention to diff issues and front end ball-joint and steering-rack-end wear problems.
    A fault we’ve heard of is a propensity for the air suspension height control computer to go awry, but in most cases that’s fixed by turning the engine off and letting it reset.

Now to answer your questions.
    Firstly let me say when I bought it , I thought I cannot do any work myself on this vehicle, well I have done all services,brakes plus some extra stuff , like blanking off EGR , dual battery system, ect ect.

. What are the main 'problems' of the TDV6, especially 'post warranty'?
    At 160k km you need 2 x new cambelts

The compressor needs a service, some time, it cost me R 72.00
    EPB needs servicing , it cost me time approx 2 hrs
    Servicing , oil say R 350.00, Fuel filter R 370.00 for pre 2007,oil filter R 70.00,pollen filter @ R 155.00, that's it.
    At 120k km plus new ball joints and bushes , can do for about R 4 000.00
    Mileage , mine only 130k km but on the forums are some over 650 k on same turbo, injectors ect, this specific car got a new torque converter and overhaul gearbox 150 k km ago.

Wel dit is my storie sover , hoop nie ek het n lat vir my gat gepluk nie!

Beste voertuig wat ek nog besit het x far.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T6 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Thanks Koos Best and everyone else
    Here's a link to a 2007 D3 TDV6 for sale with 93000 on the clock for R229000
    http://search.autotrader.co.za/www/c...01148188195411
    Seems quite a few around in this price bracket with varied milage.
    Back when I bought my Paj Did, around 2005,there was a lot of unhappiness flying around regarding the old Disco's... but from what I can gather now, the Disco 3 is much more reliable...?

Have a look at the following:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...cars-2010.html

http://landroverhell.com/article/2260/

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=86128

I am not arguing with anyone who says that they have got fantastic service from their disco3 or 4. But they do go wrong, more often than most based on the above, and you need to be prepared for that. Back to the OP. Just looking at the turbo thread above, you are in for 30K, or 15% of what the OP is looking to spend on the vehicle.

I think he just needs to go into the experience with his eyes wide open and be prepared for big repairs if required.

Regards
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by MARIUSJNR View Post
    My D3 is a TDV6 and I have clocked over 200 000km. no problems whatsoever. The turbo went because a techie at the dealership dropper a bolt in the air intake. thats about it. the rest just normal wear and tear items. One other thing is the D3 parts is alot cheaper than the D2. Also the transpercase issnt near 45k you can get it for way cheaper than that. On the Disco 3 Forum there is a couple guys who clocked over 500 000Miles on the TDV6, and injector problems are nonexistant.
    This was a warrantee repair on a D3 HSE v8. This was a personal friends car so I am only telling you what it cost. You may be able to get it cheaper from a gearbox exchange?
    Cheers
    Stephen

Stephen,

Anyone who pays the kind of money you are quoting in your post is mad.

TGWinduna stated good 19P motors go for R25k. I bought my current 18P a year ago with ECU for R24k and then got R2.5k back for the ECU and R9k for the old engine. You work it out.
    I didn't buy it from him, but if he is posting stuff like that on a public forum he knows people will hold him to it when he bills them.

Replacement cost of parts that don't go wrong is totally irrelevant. My TD5 injectors are 285k km old and still good. Yes they will be expensive to replace but so what- they might last forever at this rate. Toyota D4D injectors aren't a lot cheaper and are made of chocolate. Lets see that little sewing machine engine of yours drag a double cab around for 300k km plus, without VW's famous turbo failure getting you.

Everyone avoids the D2 ES because it's full of bells and whistles. Yet my totally abused one works. Completely.
    One day if my electric sunroofs stop working then I'll either fix them cheaply or leave them broken. If I decide to let things slide and the central locking, aircon, sunroofs, electric mirrors, seat heaters, ACE, CD shuttle and the rest all go south then I'll be left with a vehicle which is basically a Defender without all the noise and leaks. D2 air suspension is cheap to replace with coils- why deprive yourself of everything else in the vehicle to save R1k somewhere down the road?

I ignore warrante repair costs, because the morons barely know which seat in the car is for the driver- they just randomly swop parts until the problem miraculously goes away, while charging R600 per hour for the appy to crossthread everything
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 3 SE TDV6
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Interesting Comment re cross threading. When I bought my D1 it was only ever serviced by franchised dealers and I decided to change all the fluids. Every nut, and by that I mean, Sump, T-Case, Gearbox, and both Diffs were cross threaded.
    As for my 300K plus double cab, I am sure that I will get shot of it long before 300k, but if it gets that far I will be quite impressed.

The early 1.9 VWTDIs went through a resonance at altitude, and this was the cause of the premature turbo failure. Apparently this has been solved by moving the resonance further up beyond the frequency it will encounter in a high altitude application. I have to say that I have never got over 150K with any of my diesel landys so if I get near that mark I will think I have done okay in the Klippie.

Re the engine, are you saying that you are buying a reconditioned engine for 25k or a second hand engine? The same Ian of three lions had a TD5 defender in just after mine was declared dead and he was quoting around R70k for that job, so I would be a little wary of a complete engine for 25k.

Regards
    Stephen

What other SUV of 4-5 years old will be much cheaper to repair if major things go wrong?
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

so I would be a little wary of a complete engine for 25k.
    Second hand, not rebuilt. Complete engine from sump to tappet cover including inlet and exhaust manifold and turbo.

Last time I was at Barnetts they had 6 on the floor. You choose your own motor (they can tell you the mileage of the donor vehicle) and fit it and if you're not happy you can exchange it.

I got mine elsewhere from a trusted source who knew the owner of the donor vehicle and put me in touch with him. I've done 15k km on it an I'm very happy.

It resisted my latest attempt to kill it on Friday- charging full throttle up dunes all afternoon then when I went to inflate tyres it was spraying water from the fuel cooler. It took 5 liters before it was full. Had I taken it to a stealer I would probably have lightened my pocket to the tune of 5 figures for the cooler alone, and possibly been tricked into a head replacement for the money you mention in an earlier post. Instead I spent 45 minutes to fit 4 O rings (procured for free from my favourate workshop owner- thanks Jakes) and this week the Disco is doing a passable impersonaion of a 1 ton bakkie hauling tiles home in 30 degrees plus weather.

I'm one of those brave/crazy LR owners who is going to park it on a tiled floor- how's that for confidence in the face of brand reputation?8)
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 3 SE TDV6
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Stephen, I saw Captain Golla's post last night and thought to respond. We have however had so many of these 'tell me about the D3' type posts, that I thought it's actually getting monotonous: Great vehicle / go for it / best car you'll ever own etc. etc.... You then will understand my surprise (gobsmacked) when I reopened the thread this evening and literally stumbled upon your 'input'. In the 6 years that I've drooled over the D3, along with the rest of the known world, I've never come across any such negativity towards the vehicle. And that from someone who doesn't actually own one. If you were even partly informed you'd have known that virtually every part (with the possible exception of brakes) on the D3 is cheaper than the D2. I've never heard of a transfer case replacement costing R45K. Are you sure you didn't get your decimals shifted, because you can get a D3 transfer case for literally a 10th of what you quoted?

Captain Golla -the car you saw advertised sounds very reasonable. Take note though that it's a manual. I bought my 2007 with the same mileage (90K) last year, and still grin like a teenager every time I get behind the wheel....
    DOLOS - 1994 Discovery V8i Auto (Sadly Sold)
    MEDIAN - 2003 Discovery TD5 GS Auto (Sold)
    2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S

Just had another look at the ad in Autotrader. The 'LAND ROVER' decal on the bonnet is not original, and by the look of things not even the correct size. Accident damage?
    DOLOS - 1994 Discovery V8i Auto (Sadly Sold)
    MEDIAN - 2003 Discovery TD5 GS Auto (Sold)
    2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast