Where do all the stolen Toyota’s end up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where do all the stolen Toyota’s end up?

I moved this post of mine from another thread.

If you look at the amount of Hilux / Fortuner’s that are stolen and we assume most are for taxi parts, what happens to the rest of the body . Surely there should be HUGE mountains of them lying around. The panels for example cannot be used as parts as there is no way that there can be such a high demand for those parts. Do they scrap them and if so where? Surely a newish Hilux / Fortuner body will draw attention.

The other options are taking them over the border of finding a way to sell it back to the unsuspecting SA consumer. I would love to know how all of this works and what ends up where
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

You know there are two types of Fortuners, those who rolled, and those who will roll. Now you go and try to find one at a scrapyard!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

If we knew where the stolen Hilux / Fortuners end u the would not be stolen anymore they would be found and waiting to be re-united with their owners...
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

The wife of a friend of mine got hijacked outside her house yesterday morning, as she reversed out the gate they put a gun to her window & opened the door, forced her out took her jewelry jumped in her car and drove off. Fortunatly she was left behind but her Toyota Tazz is now history. With so many Toyotas around there is a demand for spares & whole cars because apparently "everything keeps going right".

Quote Originally Posted by CoenraadB View Post
    If we knew where the stolen Hilux / Fortuners end u the would not be stolen anymore they would be found and waiting to be re-united with their owners...
    Ja, ja grapgat . I was hoping some of you may have had access to info based on successful recoveries (not the 4x4 kind ) and investigations or confessions of ex hijacker's .
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

They are at the same place where all those missing socks are
    RickyRocket

2006 KB300 LX D/c 4x4

"You can get out of the rat race but you'll always stay a rat"

No! Then tracker would have found them!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

i have my own opinion, Toyota doesnt make a lot of cars, they assemble a whole lot. Why is it so easy to steal Toyotas compared to other makes (i know not really - if they want it they'll take it) it made me think that Toyota actually makes it easy for tsotsis to steal it, they then get their cars back thru the Affirmative Shopping Line and sell it back to the consumer as original and new ...

i think toyota created this "business" just to line their own pockets more
    Kia Picanto wif a sunrooff
    en Buell xb9sx Lightning aka Gatafval
    sold from under my .... Net n STD Isuzu KB300 D-Teq e/c plankie...

Michael, unfortunately I can answer your question out of experience.

They are taken to Moz, either stay there or further up in Africa. According to a panel beater buddy of ours it is estimated that no stolen Hilux was stripped in SA for last 2 years because panelbeaters started to refuse to buy parts from every second guy that phone them.

Secondly when the insurance investigator heard mine was a 4x4 he said that they will settle the claim immediately and not look for it further because the bakkie was taken to Northern Natal and then through the bush into Moz that same Saturday as it was stolen.

Apparently insurance companies send their people to Moz every 3 weeks or so and they do find a lot of them but because of bureaucracy it cost too much to bring them back
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

"i think toyota created this "business" just to line their own pockets more "

Ek dink dit is n baie gevaarlik om so n stelling te maak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Michael, unfortunately I can answer your question out of experience.

They are taken to Moz, either stay there or further up in Africa. According to a panel beater buddy of ours it is estimated that no stolen Hilux was stripped in SA for last 2 years
    Interesting – so this is not in line with the whole “spare part for the taxi industry” theory. It would be nice to see the stats per region. One would expect to see higher figures in the regions closest to Moz and very low numbers in the CT area. I used to think I was safe with my 4L but it seems they too are now targeted.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

My 3.0 d4d was found the next day in Lesotho, apparently this is a huge export market, they go to Moz, Angola, Bots, etc. it seems the idea is that if you can't buy it and it's to much effort to work for it, STEAL IT
    Last edited by Petur; 2011/12/05 at 08:49 AM. Reason: ADD INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Interesting – so this is not in line with the whole “spare part for the taxi industry” theory. It would be nice to see the stats per region. One would expect to see higher figures in the regions closest to Moz and very low numbers in the CT area. I used to think I was safe with my 4L but it seems they too are now targeted.
    I am beginning to think this is true. I own two Quantum busses which would be the obvious choice for spare parts and have not had a single theft attempt on the first bus which is three years old now.

Default We must not look at the border - look for the toyota gate near Kempton Park

A fully rigged toyota hilux 4x4 that was stolen on 10 November went through the bluecrane gantrie, direction south on the R21 just after 14:00. It then dissapeared from the highway.

Then there is the assumption that the fully rigged 4x4 hilux bakkies are not stripped for parte anymore and they are going across the borders.
    Lots of evidence like a lack of hundreds of vehicle bodies!!!!

Who can transport or export vehicles from close to Thembisa 8)

last one:

http://businesstech.co.za/news/gener...l-media-in-sa/

Do not under estimate scrap metal dealers. You can replace " where does all the car bodies go " with where does all the stolen cable go? "

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Apparently insurance companies send their people to Moz every 3 weeks or so and they do find a lot of them but because of bureaucracy it cost too much to bring them back
    Maybe they should bring the vehicles back the way they went in

On this Google Earth pic of Kosi bay border post on the right you can see on the left (only about 500 m away) one of many tracks that goes to the border fence and a single track going further into Moz. I'm sure if the govt wanted to they could do something about these unofficial border posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Somewhere there must be trucks waiting for them to be loaded inside, it also probably insures the tracking systems signal is prevented to be picked up inside the trucks. close to the border they take it out and drive it through. It does help with Toyota sales figures i gues.....

Default Where do all the stolen Toyota’s end up?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYTD5 View Post
    The wife of a friend of mine got hijacked outside her house yesterday morning, as she reversed out the gate they put a gun to her window & opened the door, forced her out took her jewelry jumped in her car and drove off. Fortunatly she was left behind but her Toyota Tazz is now history. With so many Toyotas around there is a demand for spares & whole cars because apparently "everything keeps going right".
    A friend of mine showed your post to his son - his son said "Excellent comment"...

Default Where do all the stolen Toyota’s end up?

To sum up the Thread so far:
    • All Toyota's are stolen.
    • They get stripped for parts for taxi's.
    • They don't get stripped at all - they go into Africa.
    • Toyota is behind it, having your vehicle perceived as high-risk is apparently a sales gimmick.

Well, I for one cannot argue with any of this logic, sounds plausible & not contradictory to me at all.

Great Thread!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast