4 ton ratchet usage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 4 ton ratchet usage

Is it work to include a 4 ton ratchet and strap in a recovery kit ? And what could it be used for?

Yes, I would say include it. I went to Moz April 09 and my vechile was damaged. Used the ratched to do a emergency repair to get me back to SA, on that same trip back, i got stuck in mud and used the second ratchet for self recovery.(Swambo refused to get out of vechile). This is the first thing I load when going away. Friend of mine recoverd his truck with it,(i was there) if you know what your doing and your think safety they will get you out of allot of trouble.
    I carry a min of 2, apart from the other recovery gear.

G

also like to use mine to secure a vehicle
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Could something like this 10 ton ratchet be used in an emergency as a winch? http://www.liftlash.co.za/products/r...%80%93-10000kg Even if not to completely recover the vehicle but just put some tension on the tow strap to assist in driving out? If so, surely this would be a very cost effective and light weight winch for solo travellers who don't have a proper electric cable winch? (apologies if this is a stupid question I'm very new to 4x4 and very weary of dangerous recovery techniques!)

Carl, theoretically it's possible.. Ratchet straps are great for repairs (broken springs, etc). For winching, have a look at a Tirfor (Liftlash/Securetech sell them as Donsa's)
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Quote Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
    Carl, theoretically it's possible.. Ratchet straps are great for repairs (broken springs, etc). For winching, have a look at a Tirfor (Liftlash/Securetech sell them as Donsa's)
    Thanks for the response. I have looked at the Tirfor's but they're so big, heavy and bulky and also quite expensive. I was thinking more for using a ratchet system like this for over-landing and recovery from less serious bogged down situations because obviously when you're over-landing, solo you're going to be a little more conservative and not try to show off to your buddies (as you would on your local 4x4 trail) with your fully laden vehicle, by attempting too risky obstacles and seriously deep mud in the middle of remote Botswana.
    Last edited by Carl Snyman; 2011/12/13 at 09:47 AM.

I have been giving this some thought... I reckon 10,000kg will be the static breaking strain of the strap and all components but you will never be able to crank on 10 tons worth of force by hand using the little ratchet lever e.g. the ratchet will be able to be cranked nice and tight to hold a container in place on the back of a truck and all components can then take the equivalent of 10,000kg of force before failing, but that doesn't mean you can exert 10,000kg worth of winch force by cranking the arm and moving a vehicle. Therefore this device would be useful to hold a vehicle in a fixed position but not to actually move it. Does this sound right?
    Toyota Hilux 2700i DC 4x4 2002
    Maxxis Bighorn 764, ARB bumper, OME, rocksliders, long range tank, bashplate, rear air shocks, Powerflow, Brospeed branch, chip

KTM 300 XC-W 2014
    Lots...

Carl, not being technical myself, but faced with similar thought processes re. solo travel recovery & cost/weight constraints - I am very interested to see what the outcome of these questions will be!
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

In fact, I have a client that imports the groceries for heavy lifting equipment, shackles, etc. ("Lifting & lashing equipment"?). Been waiting to push them for supply/price pending conclusion of my bull-bar. Think a visit is long overdue now.... Surely, if it can lift heavy equipment (a moving mass) it can recover a 4x4? I suspect my contact could be taking leave but I'll keep you posted.
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

After more and more thought I just don't think that these little ratchet straps can be used as a winch. I reckon that the total tension you could load on the strap with the ratchet mechanism will probably only be a few hundred kgs? I'm sure the manufacturers would be able to give the exact metrics. And I think the that 10,000kg ratings are purely the static breaking strain of the 'system' when it is statically locked in position. Therefore I reckon they are still useful to hold the vehicle/stabilise it in position while jacking but I don't think it will be an effective winch in deep sand or mud.

If you look at the size of a Tirfor hand winch, its a beast! So surely if these little ratchets worked as winches everyone would be using them. (And I assume that there is a reason that the Tirfor has to be so big!)

I'm doing a solo trip, leaving in a few days and my recovery solution for this trip is a hi-lift jack (for winching and jacking), chain, 2x bow shackles, kinetic strap, tow strap, shovel, compressor, 5x empty sand bags (to fill with sand and put under the wheels or use as a track) and my spare wheel to be buried and used as an anchor point in an emergency.

I going over-landing so am not going to be intentionally looking for tough terrain and trails so all this would just be for an emergency.
    Toyota Hilux 2700i DC 4x4 2002
    Maxxis Bighorn 764, ARB bumper, OME, rocksliders, long range tank, bashplate, rear air shocks, Powerflow, Brospeed branch, chip

KTM 300 XC-W 2014
    Lots...

I got stuck on the farm and I tried to recover myself by using a ratchet strap. There is no way that you are going to move a vehicle that is even a "little stuck" with rachet strap.

Hi all,
    First, Merry Christmas!
    I work as a rigger/deck foreman in the oil and gas industry. Ratchet straps can only be used for securing items. The load rating they are given is for a static weight only, the mechanisms and the short handles would never allow a person to be able to pull the weight they are rated to. I don't know if anyone knows how tirfors work, but basically they work like you would pull something with your 2 hands, by always having a grip on the wire with one hand and then sliding the back hand forward, gripping again and pulling. This is why they are so bulky(hope the explanation makes sense).
    For something small to carry for recovery a 1.5Ton or 3Ton lever hoist would be a reasonable option I would think, they work like a chain hoist but without the chain, just a lever. Nice and simple. Well my 2c worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Is it work to include a 4 ton ratchet and strap in a recovery kit ? And what could it be used for?
    No, a 4 ton rachet and strap can only be used to secure something. Only the strap are rated 4 ton. The mechanism won't even pull 0.4 ton!

But a 4 ton double pull rachet, like this, can be usefull and it's light, cheap and more versatile than a winch that's fixed to the front of a vehicle!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys

Quote Originally Posted by garywinter View Post
    I got stuck on the farm and I tried to recover myself by using a ratchet strap. There is no way that you are going to move a vehicle that is even a "little stuck" with rachet strap.
    I agree not with one strap but I have recovered myself using 2 ratchet straps from a very sticky situation in sand. If you pull one by one to put max tension on both then using the one to hold the vehicle in position while you re-position the other one (because you can't pull them too far at a time) it works well but it is time consuming. if that is the only option then I will do that
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Merry Christmas everybody,
    A quick think re the pulling power, ratchets are just a simple lever i.e the old anecdote give me a lever long enough and I'll move the world. So some assumptions on the sizes as I'm to lazy to walk to my workshop lol. If the ratchet has a 250 mm long lever from pivot to grip and you have furled some strap onto the drum to an diameter of say 50 mm (sort of sounds right in my head anyway) then the radius will be 25 mm this means you know have a lever with a 1:10 ratio so for every kg of force you apply to the handle at right angle to the load you will exerting 10X that force in the form of pulling power. Now for vectors or direction of force... mmm maybe not today just know that nothing for nothing rule always apply you gona sweat boet.
    Warm Regards,

Hennie Viljoen

Paddington, 1995 Land Rover Discovery Tdi
    Impi, '09 DeRangie Auto 3.9L V8 Plaything Project

With the exception of one ore two persons none of you have ever used ratchet straps for recovery. Thus, any comment is pure speculation.
    I have used ratchet straps from lifting engines, the front of a vehicle, recovering a vehicle, emergency repairs to lifting borehole pipes. If you have nothing else you make do with what you have.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    With the exception of one ore two persons none of you have ever used ratchet straps for recovery. Thus, any comment is pure speculation.
    I have used ratchet straps from lifting engines, the front of a vehicle, recovering a vehicle, emergency repairs to lifting borehole pipes. If you have nothing else you make do with what you have.
    I bent or broke a couple of mechanisms on rachet straps on light duty work! Maybe I don't know how to use it! Can you draw us a diagram?

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    No, a 4 ton rachet and strap can only be used to secure something. Only the strap are rated 4 ton. The mechanism won't even pull 0.4 ton!
    But a 4 ton double pull rachet, like this, can be usefull and it's light, cheap and more versatile than a winch that's fixed to the front of a vehicle!
    just buy a nice cumalong and some rope and you can self recover if your close enough to tie off rope. cumalongs work great and come in different tonages. we use them where i work to pull several ton conveyor belts thru conveyors when replacing belts.

each tool has a specific purpose, use tools correctly and you won't get hurt or do damage to your vehicle. a strap is just that a strap it is used to hold loads in placethe webbing might be rated for several tons but the clamp is not.

cable pullers (tirfor) like this are even better as they usually come with a 5M cable so less slacking off and resetting ropes. company i work for paid like R2000 2 yrs ago at 4x4 megaworldfor one

Last edited by JediNAfrica; 2011/12/25 at 11:19 AM.
    Luke aka Jedi

1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

Thanks JediNAfrica. In lay-man's terms, what's the difference between pictured "cumalong" and tirfor? That is... apart from the 5m cable, that surely wouldn't clinch the deal either way? (Sorry - I'm entirely inexperienced, just interested in saving a few bob on an eventual winch)

The "Come along" is lightweight and compact with the cable stored on the drum and therefor the cable length is limited to what the drum can hold. The Tirfor is a heavy duty piece of equipment with a more substantial cable which is usually stored seperately but in any event lies in a coil which takes a lot more space. Another option is a Chain puller.

Dont overlook a snatch block. Old and simple technology that really works. A simple snatch block will double your pull (almost), or even better, a "Handy Billy" which will treble the advantage and is really simple to rig.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast