logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Tyre chat

4x4Community

Notices

Tyre chat Tyre help, advice and discussion.

Old 18-07-11, 10:55 AM
AdrianBarnesPTA

Default Tyres for Pajero...?? BFG M/T vs A/T

Hi all!

I know this is a topic that has been spoken about A LOT on this forum, but I need as much advise as possible on new tyres for my 2000 Pajero 3500 V6 LWB Blister Fender PLEASE!

I can get BFG Mud Terrain (KM2) for R150 LESS than the All Terrain! But Im worried about on road handling (110km/h) as well as excessive road noise?

Ive heard bad reports about the A/T on wet tar roads which concerns me as I'm traveling 90% of the time with my young family. How do the M/T handle on the road in general, and also in the wet?

Ive heard Duelers are a good bet, but the vehicle has 2 on the front now that have worn VERY unevenly (previous owner..) why, I dont know!

The vehicle was bought as a family getaway vehicle, going away every seconds weekend (off roading or normal gravel roads, depends) as well as our 'safari vehicle' doing 1x proper tour of neighbouring countries per year at least. Id imagine this vehicle will do around 70% on tar and gravel, and 30% in a variety of offroad conditions (sand, mud, rocks etc).

My wife will use the vehicle in and around town during the week.

If anyone has some suggestions for me, I would be very grateful! Im also open to other tyre suggestions and really want to make the right choice here!
Old 18-07-11, 02:19 PM

I think for most people, an A/T is a good option. The muds will be more noisy... so be prepared for that (I have an extra set of rims for my M/T tires, so I don't normally use them daily).

However, the M/T handle fine on tar roads (wet or dry) - we drove in some HEAVY rain, and had no problems.They are also fine at highway speeds. I wouldn't be worried using them every day - they are just quite noisy, and my H/T tires do handle better (feel more sure footed on the road). The rubber blocks of the M/T tread flex while cornering, so the car rolls / squirms more - I only notice this when I push the car, or corner fast - not a problem for relaxed driving around town. You get used to the noise quickly.

The main reason I went for M/T was for a stronger tire, and less chance of punctures - I don't carry an extra spare on long trips (like our trip to Kaokoland).

For daily use, and moderate off road use, I think A/T will be a good bet... but M/T won't be a problem.
Old 18-07-11, 02:21 PM

I am wondering about the same thing. I have BFG A/T 15inch on my bakkie, but the wife saw a BFG M/T recently and really liked the aggressive look. So I was thinking of getting a set of those or similar M/T tires ina bit bigger size, 31 x 10.5 x 15 instead of the current size which is a bit smaller, can't remember exact size. We drive mostly road in the week but take many offroad trips when we can. Also drive very conservatively most of the time. Isuzu KB280DT dc 4x2
Old 18-07-11, 02:31 PM

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/...php?product=39

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT..._Geolandar.htm

http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/...spx?tyreid=204

http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/reviews/yoko_geos/

Need I say more
Old 18-07-11, 02:38 PM

BFG A/T on my Triton Clubcab are, frankly, dangerous on whet tar. It may be down to the vehicle being empty, but, SWAMBO reckons she does not feel safe, and having driven it after that comment, I agree.

For dry and dry offroad (not mud) use, they are great and I have no complaints.

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold

Old 18-07-11, 03:04 PM

Ok the Yoko M/T sound great but where does one get them and what is the price?
Old 18-07-11, 05:29 PM
AdrianBarnesPTA

Thanks so much for all the info everyone! Must be honest that the more i dig, the worse the reports get for BFG A/T on wet tar! We travel a lot, and in summer... to get to our destination, we travel in rain at highway speeds... doesnt sound like they are actually the option right now!

Busy going through AboutAfricaAdventures now...! Lots to read!

Thanks all!!
Old 18-07-11, 05:42 PM
AdrianBarnesPTA

Wow... the Yoko's are pretty cost effective! R1,860.00 inc VAT each at http://www.tyretraders.co.za/

AboutAfricaAdventures, what sort of mileage do you get from yours??
Old 19-07-11, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianBarnesPTA View Post
Wow... the Yoko's are pretty cost effective! R1,860.00 inc VAT each at http://www.tyretraders.co.za/

AboutAfricaAdventures, what sort of mileage do you get from yours??
Current set covered just over 65 000, mostly gravel/off road. Wore down nice and even. But time to replace. New set awaiting fitment
Old 21-07-11, 06:48 PM
AdrianBarnesPTA

Okay... I've eventually decided on BFG M/T's ... The availability of Yokohama is worrying, none in the country at the moment!
Old 21-07-11, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianBarnesPTA View Post
Okay... I've eventually decided on BFG M/T's ... The availability of Yokohama is worrying, none in the country at the moment!
I waited since Feb, got mine today , one part strike, two part earthquake. The fact that EVERYONE was offering BF MT's at low prices was interesting...paid around 3k for my yokos and the BF's were 2k at the cheapest. 265/70/17.

BTW Last week I was in Bots goodluck finding BF anything, the guys there use Hankook and Bridgestone. The ONLY car that had BF's had a GP plate. The other cruisers and patrols were not on BF's.

Last edited by dieselfan; 21-07-11 at 10:21 PM.