logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Jeep

4x4Community

Old 01-07-11, 12:40 PM
User Banned

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Injector Question

Ok so I haven't stopped looking around for a nice WJ 2.7 and one of the ones I am saw was advertised as having an issue with injector 5.

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars...AdIdZ293775241

I wasn't interested at first but decided I'd email the guy anyway just to find out what the actual issue was. He sent back these:
(when questioned on service history)
"The Jeeps comes with a 60000km plan from Jeep. So that is at Jeep. The rest of the services were done by the Owner that had the Jeep from new, and their mechanic serviced it, and got the invoices to prove. I have all the relevant invoices of the work done on the Jeep from the agents , and my invoices of work done on the engine. All injectors were replaced and now injector that’s underneath the firewall (injector 5) is leaking. And to replace you need to drop the engine."

And then:
(when questioned on the work on the engine)
"According to the invoices the whole common rail system, injectors, pump etc was done with Jeep Midrand @+-R35000-00 last year Aug/Sept."

So the questions is, why would a new injector start leaking so early? That sounds more like an installation problem and not an injector failure surely?

Second question, what would it cost to have that injector replaced?
Old 01-07-11, 12:51 PM

What's the current mileage on the Jeep?

JKU Rubicon Pentastar
JKU CRD (sold)
XJ 4liter (sold )

Old 01-07-11, 01:01 PM
User Banned

Old 01-07-11, 01:01 PM

A leaking injector (and if we are not talking injector leak-back) , so quickly after the replacement means one thing. They damaged the seat inside the cylinder head where the injector rests - walk away...

For my 2.7:
The part number for the injector is KK05137254AB, cost me R4571 last year each (bought 3), but they may have come down. You can also buy it directly from Bosch (Diesel Electric here in PE), their part number 044511098, their price was R4045 each (bought 2).

Whe you say the injectors was done what exactly does it say?

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

76 Jeep CJ6 (283 Chevy V8 3" Lift)
02 Jeep WJ V8 4.7 HO Overland (2" Lift, Tom Woods DC DS, 235/85R16 KL71's)
03 Jeep WJ CRD 2.7 Laredo (UpCountry *Sold*)
07 Toyota RAV4 2.0 VX (SWAMBO)

Last edited by LuckyLuke; 01-07-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 01:06 PM
User Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
A leaking injector (and if we are not talking injector leak-back) , so quickly after the replacement means one thing. They damaged the seat inside the cylinder head where the injector rests - walk away...
That's what I thought. But surely Jeep Midrand should be accountable if they damaged it whilst replacing the injector?
Old 01-07-11, 01:22 PM

you try and get them to admit it, and fix it...

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

Old 01-07-11, 01:24 PM
User Banned

I suppose. It has been about 9 months since they did the work so they'd never admit it.
Old 01-07-11, 01:45 PM

They damaged the seat inside the cylinder head where the injector rests, because they try to replace it without dropping the engine!

Old 01-07-11, 01:52 PM

It is possible to repair the seat, there is a tool specially for that. It is possible that it is just the injector that needs to be replaced, maybe its just the hold down bolt that broke on the injector (easy if the guys inadvertently reused a bolt, their TTY bolts).
So you can take your chances and get a vehicle where the rest of the system is perfectly redone already, just having to fix the one injector...

What would help is if the guy can send you a picture of the engine, from the top, with the plastic cover removed, as much detail as possible around the injectors.

Also ask what they mean by a leaking injector, if its leak back then its possible just the injector that needs to be replaced. But if its leaking as in the black gunk around the injector, I would not consider the purchase. I went down that road, almost R70 000+ later consisting of 5 new injectors, common rail pressure switch, then during the process of trying to start the vehicle a piston smacked a valve that was kept open with some of the black gunk that made it into the engine during the injector removal which caused massive damage to the engine, after that I towed the vehicle back from the stealers (after having to pay them R22 000 to release my vehicle, not their problem the engine blew up as they blamed the guys (*** PE) who refurbished the injectors, so then I had to get an exchange engine (bad move, should have bought a second hand engine) and take it out and replace myself, the exchange engine had a repaired block which lasted all of 500km, had to send the whole vehicle up to Krugersdorp to the engine exchange provider so that they could replace the engine at their cost, except the Turbo which was concequential damage and their warranty does not carry that.

So leaky injectors - staaaay awaaaay - baaaaaad. When you look at that gulley in the cylinder head where the injectors are situated you want it to be clean. Now you know why they call the black lava type stuff that forms around leaking injectors The Black Death.

Maybe they should call it the Gamble of The Black Death - sometimes you come off lightly, other times Is dit die wet van Transvaal...

Last edited by LuckyLuke; 01-07-11 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Maybe they should call it the Gamble... added
Old 15-05-13, 08:35 AM

Hi Guys

Can one buy new injectors and just replace the old ones or is there a routine to follow? What must be done to do the replacement 100% correctly?
Thanks

Jaycee
Old 15-05-13, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
Hi Guys

Can one buy new injectors and just replace the old ones or is there a routine to follow? What must be done to do the replacement 100% correctly?
Thanks

Jaycee
This is possible

2 liter Milk bottle again 132 Kw
Ryno Black

Old 15-05-13, 08:55 AM

If anybody is intersted, I have one (1) injector for the 2.7 CRD engine. It's a Mercedes-Benz product which I baught new 2 years ago, but never replaced the "old" injector. I paid R4 500 for it and is willing to sell it for R3 500.
Old 15-05-13, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
They damaged the seat inside the cylinder head where the injector rests, because they try to replace it without dropping the engine!
A friend of mine was looking at a 2003 GC 2.7 CRD with 125k on the clock. The engine ran ok but was smoking a lot and the radiator light came on when driving it. The dealership who was selling the car had it in their workshop to fix the problem. The injectors needed replacement. They dropped the engine and upon trying to remove the no 5 injector, they found that it was stuck and would not budge. They discovered that the top was cracked around the no 5 injector as it seems that someone previously replaced or tried to replace the no 5 injector and cracked the head in the process, possibly because they did not drop the engine and then tried to fix it with sort of Pretly putty or so as well.

The dealership selling the Jeep had to source a replacement head or so and thus the my friend did not buy the Jeep. It is a shame as apart from this the Jeep seemed to be in a very good condition.