logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat

4x4Community

Vehicle & Technical Chat Only on topic posts allowed, all off topic posts will be removed.
Off topic posts to be restricted to General Chat.

Old 04-04-07, 07:13 AM

Location: Tswane se gat ek bly nog lekker hier in Pretoria!!!
Question PRADO vs PAJERO

PRADO vs PAJERO

I need to buy a new vehicle soon as a replacement for my platkar (mostly business use) and have been playing with the idea of rather getting a second hand SUV then a new platkar so that I can use it for towing the trailer if we go far away on holiday rather then using the Hilux.

Because I am buying second-hand I do not want to finance a residual so I decided to buy a vehicle of not more the R 200K to keep the instalments reasonable. The Antie also likes the idea of the 7/8 seater more than a car. Therefore, I decided to go for a 1999-2001 Prado 3.4 VX (petrol) which seems to be in my price class.

However, these vehicles are not to readily available, so more than one person already suggested that I look at a Pajero as well. The problem is I do not know the Pajero very well.

Which Pajero is the counterpart of the 3.4 VX Prado (Petrol V6 Automatic with leather, P/S, E/W, 7/8 seater etc.)?

How do these vehicles compare head on if you look at the following:

1. Reliability and engine life:
I want to keep this vehicle, pay it off and then buy another business use vehicle at that time. I will consider buying a vehicle with about 200 000 kms on the clock and will do about 20 000 kms per year for the next 3-4 years while I pay it off. I need a vehicle that will easily do more than 300 000kms before it needs an overhaul. Will a Pajero do this? What is their average engine life? What is prone to failure on them?

2. Cost of repairs:
How much will an engine or gearbox overhaul cost? Can you buy something like the second-hand Jap-engine imports as a affordable engine/gearbox replacement?

3. Cabin comfort and styling:
How big is the interior of the Pajero? Will a small Oukie like myself 6ft7 weighing 140 kg sit in it comfortable? Is there a lot of head and legroom? How solid is the interior built? Is it prone to rattles, squeaks, and funny sounds? Things like that will drive me up the walls.

3. Vehicle resell value:
If I want to resell, will the Pajero keep its value as good as a Prado? On first inspection, I saw that there are more Pajeros available in the market than Prados, and their price seems to be a bit cheaper too. This can (or maybe not) mean that you will struggle more to get rid off it, if needs to be, in the future. How did the pricing of a Pajero compare to the Prado when they were new in 2000/2001? Did it keep its value similarly?

4. Is there anything specific to look out for when looking at either one of these vehicles?

I need good advice from all you boffins out there to help me make a good informed decision. Please try answering the 4 questions separately, because answers like: My sister se boyfriend se pa ry een al baie jare en is baie happy gaan my nie veel help nie.

Old 04-04-07, 08:27 AM
4ePajero

Bennie,

IMHO both are excellent vehicles. Their layout, performance etc are very close.

The choice will be up to your personal preferences.

Test drive both, then decide.

Trev should be the right guy to advise you. he was bent on a Pajero, then eventually chose the Prado.

Drive the diesel versions as well! Fuel will never get cheaper. Regardless of what you read, the fact is that a diesel SUV will use 50-75% of the fuel a petrol engine uses. (I know, I had petrol and diesel engines with similar outputs.)
Old 04-04-07, 08:40 AM

Thanks Gerhard

I drove Trev's Prado already

But regarding diesel, I am and will stay a petrol-head. If I were ever to consider buying a diesel again it will be brand new or no diesel at all. I bought a second hand diesel once long a ago, been there, done that, burnt my fingers, got the T-shirt, never again...

What I saved in fuel economy I paid in engine repairs and then some.

Back to the Pajero, do you say the engine will last as long as the Prado on average and will repairs be similar in cost and availability of parts?

Old 04-04-07, 08:55 AM
4ePajero

I drive an "old" Pajero with a "new" engine (ex 2001) model.

You are asking the wrong man about Mitsubishis!

They are very comfortable cruisers.
My personal impression was that the Pajero was slighly more roomy than the Prado, especially in front. (The Prado has a gigantic centre console, which limits space). MHO!

Their engines are notorious for longevity.

Spares have never been a problem.

Service with the agent will be as hellish expensive as the Toyota, but since you intend buying 2nd hand, the service can be done by any competent, trusted workshop.

My experience is that Mitsubishis are well-engineered, built like tanks and very reliable. (I have the highest regard for Isuzus, and had one, but the design and build quality is definitely not on par with my Pajero).
Old 04-04-07, 09:01 AM

Thanks Gerhard

This was what I was afraid off , so now it means that I must start broadening my search again to include the Pajero, just when I thought I had it nailed down to one vehicle and now had to worry about getting the right colour one.

Which model Pajero should I then look at?

Old 04-04-07, 09:06 AM
4ePajero

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhur View Post
Which model Pajero should I then look at?
Your budget will dictate, but you can (as you rightly said) buy a lot of Pajero for R200k!
Old 04-04-07, 09:11 AM
4ePajero

Look here for example:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead.php?t=8417

R120k leaves plenty of money for extras!

PS It is sold, I see, but similar deals should be available.
Old 04-04-07, 09:19 AM

I see that according to Wikipedia:

The Mitsubishi Pajero, known as the Mitsubishi Montero in the Americas and Spain, and as Mitsubishi Shogun in the United Kingdom, is an SUV built by Mitsubishi Motors. The name Montero (meaning "mountain warrior") was used because Pajero is slang for wanker in Spanish
So Bennie, don't take your Mitsi to Spain
Old 04-04-07, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
Your budget will dictate, but you can (as you rightly said) buy a lot of Pajero for R200k!
But which Pajero is the counterpart of the Prado 3.4 VX?

Old 04-04-07, 10:08 AM
4ePajero

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhur View Post
But which Pajero is the counterpart of the Prado 3.4 VX?
That would be the 3500 V-6 GLS.

Read here for the different Pajeros, with specs, pics etc:

http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/mitsubishi/pajero/

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewto...6ec6d57770a6ea

Old 04-04-07, 10:23 AM

The advise I can give you is on resale value. Prado's are very difficult to get, but you will get one somewhere. Toyota is not keeping Prado's in stock anymore, so if you want one they have to order it from Japan. This means that you will wait for 4-6 months.

This is why Prado's are so difficult to get, because everybody goes for 2nd hand. I know of a dealer that paid R25 000 over trade for a Prado. The nice thing is that he cannot sell it for to much more than retail, otherwise the banks will not finance it.

In short: You will pay normal price for a Prado, and when you trade in you will also get a very good price.
Old 04-04-07, 11:35 AM
Commercial Member: Adventure 4x4 Academy

I regard both vehicles highly but each has its short comings. The diesel Prado is a no go, quite sluggish performance but a very expensive engine to repair. The petrol Pajero is notoriuosly thirsty whereas the direct injection 3.2 diesel motor is exceptionally frugal on juice even when driven at around the 150 km/h mark. The main problems with Pajeros generally come down to electrical rather that engine and drive train.

The pajero is a great travelling vehicle. I have done several Botswana and Namibia trips in them with 5 people and 2 weeks worth of supplies and have been plesantly surprised. If you are going to do some off roading I would recommend you get some air helpers fitted in the rear coils springs to help the poor departure angle, especially when loaded. There is also a locally produced lift kit that works on spacers above the shocks and gives you +/- 30mm lift and does not affect the warranty. Lastly try and get a pre traction control or a GLX model with a difflock, say what they want the traction control is nowhere near than of the Prado.

Old 04-04-07, 02:40 PM

If you say the petrol Pajero is thirsty will in use give less then 6kms per litre?

Old 04-04-07, 03:42 PM

I took a petrol Pajero from Delmas to Tzaneen, at an avg speed of a 140km/h my fuel consumpsion was 30l/100km. That was showing on the onboard computer - didn't worked it out myself.

But yes, the diesel prado is a donkey!! The new arrivals with the face lift will have the D4D engine.
Old 04-04-07, 03:48 PM
4ePajero

Wow!

30l/100km !

I've never heard of such high consumption on any engine of 3.5l.

Here is what Mitsu publishes, which I think is near enough:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Consumption 1.jpg
Views:	2227
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	3444  
Old 04-04-07, 03:58 PM

Wink

Ja nee 3lk/l seems rough but according to Gerhard's table it should be between 5km/l (worse) and 8 km/l (best) and 6.5km/l ave. That is not too bad. How big is the standard tanks on these babies? So I presume I should get about 6 towing the trailer, since these figures looks similar to my Lux.

Old 04-04-07, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
I took a petrol Pajero from Delmas to Tzaneen, at an avg speed of a 140km/h my fuel consumpsion was 30l/100km. That was showing on the onboard computer - didn't worked it out myself.
Onboard computer or not - I find that hard to believe. Even in my gas guzzling V8 Jeep those are figures I see during acceleration or driving slowly off-road, not for cruising at 140 - then I can see anything from 11-20L/100km.

1998 Toyota Prado GXL 3.4V6
40mm Toughdog Suspension Lift
Bridgestone D694 LT265/70/16

Old 04-04-07, 04:02 PM

It had 20 000km on the clock. Maybe there was some wrong with the computer. But at the end of the day it depends on how you drive it.

I heard people saying that they get 10.5km/l with the Toyota 4l V6, and as a Toyota man I know it's impossible!!
Old 04-04-07, 04:06 PM

Just confirmed with the person who bought the Pajero - 5.2km/l - 4.5 in town. I asked him to have look at his Pajero's consumption, and to take it to the nearest dealership.
Old 07-04-07, 12:16 PM

Bennie,

I know you are seriously anti diesel, but if I was in your shoes, the decision would be a simple one fore me........

3.2DiD!

One of your requirements are:

Towing the trailer over longer distances..............

My old man tows his Campmaster off road trailer as well as his 6 birth caravan with the DiD and still manages around a 10km/l fuel consumption.

The 3.2DiD is one diesel you won't be dissapointed with.

At least testdrive one..........

'11 Conqueror Companion

Old 07-04-07, 02:29 PM
Commercial Member
(STOCK STANDARD)

Bennie, you will get more pajero for your money than prado. Friend of mine now cuts up prado's for game drive vehicles paying 60k for 99 models [japanese stock]. My vw diesel bus has changed my view on diesels. Can't compare old to new generation.

Friend of mine just bought a mint pajero for 200k Im talking 2 year old 30000km 3.5.

*4x4, Recovery, Deep Sand
*Accident avoidance and prevention
Premier private and corporate Training-mail me!
herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Manufacturer of Pofadder (c) kinetic recovery rope kits Importers & Distributers of 4x4 products.
Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing

+27824453301 always on.

Old 07-04-07, 04:40 PM

So ver is al die Pajeros onder R200K waarna ek gekyk het maar oes. Die beste een was vandag, n 2000 nuwe shape maar sy kilos was al 193000 en hy het baie geratel en het lelike klapgeluide in die transmisie gehad. Ek het nog nie my mind opgemaak nie maar sover was die 99 Prado wat ek gery het nog die een wat die meeste impress het al het hy minder luxuries in. Sal maar sien wat gebeur volgende week.

Maar wat diesels aan betref al kry ek net 3km/l ry ek nog steeds eerder 'n petrol (my werk betaal 80% van my petrol rekeining.)

Soos ek en Trev die ander dag gepraat het- met 'n diesel het jy altyd daai vrees of stemmitjie hier diep binne jou wat jou laat worry, wanneer gaan staan jy weer langs die pad met 'n ma-se repair bill. Dit het 2 keer in my lewe met my gebeur en ek slaap net rustiger as daar 'n petrol enjin voertuig in my garage staan. Ek is nie bereid om my bestuurstyl so the change dat ek nie 'n diesel gaan stukkend ry nie. As ek die dag bevonk is en lus is om 7 soorte duiwels uit my kar uit te ry of om 'n dice op te tel wil ek nie worry oor EGT's nie of dat ek die engine uitmekaar gaan rev nie. Soos ek ges het as dit 'n splinternuwe diesel is met 'n maintenance plan miskien ja maar nooit 'n 2e handse diesel vir my nie dankie!

My ma hulle het sopas die week terug gekom van 'n amper 5 weke toer af, via PE tot in die Kaap en weer terug gezikzak die land vol verby al hulle kennise en vriende ens. Ek het nou nou gestaan en kyk hoe vieslik swart hulle karavaan bemors is deur diesel roet aanpaksels. Hulle het nou al daai 250 TDi Ford se exhaust laat reroute hom al by verskeie diesel plekke laat diens en kalibreer en dyno en wat ook al, hulle gebruik net SASOL turbo diesel, en nog steed mors hy die karavaan pikswart. Nee wat ek is en bly maar 'n
PETROLHEAD

Old 28-04-07, 08:04 AM

Wink

Thanks for the advise guys. I did buy the Pajero and hope that I will give me many years of good service. I will use it for my daily runner (platkar ) for now but will try to pay it off in the next 2 years or so if my finances permit. Then I will keep give it to Charmaine and buy myself a smaller faster platkar again. But maybe by then I might be cured form my occasional "need for speed" cravings

Old 28-04-07, 08:46 AM

Ok OK where are the pic's

BFG AT's (coming soon), Front Runner Load bars,
350Watt Pioneer 8" Sub, ICE 4 channel 1200Watt Amp,
Kenwood 6.5" GPS/Bluetooth deck, 4x120Watt Sony 2ways,
FWDCSA (Gauteng)
(Wish I had a Diff Lock )

Old 28-04-07, 11:59 AM

Wink

See here

Mitsubishi Pics....

Old 26-09-09, 11:30 AM

I know you are seriously anti diesel, but if I was in your shoes, the decision would be a simple one fore me........

3.2DiD!

[/QUOTE]

Sjoe PAJERO, PRADO both are awesome...

2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8 V6 Blue 61 000 km, Petrol, 2 Doors, Automatic, Air bags, Air conditioning, Alarm, Central locking, Electric windows. Call Derick- 082 8532 950

Tel: 012 543 0904
Price: R 199 995

or

2004 Toyota Prado 4.0L V6 Silver Metallic 250 000 km, Petrol, 4x4, 5 Doors, Automatic, RWC on Delivery, FULL HOUSE, 2 YEAR WARRANTY

Imperial Toyota Randburg
Gauteng

Tel: 011 886-4735
Price: R 199 000

MY biggist concerne would befor 200k you will get a newer pajero or less km on clock. the above two are just examples. if you are planning to keep I would also not choose the diesel although they are great.
Old 27-09-09, 08:39 PM

Wink

Bit of an old thread I have already done almost 80 000 kms in my Pajero since I bought it.

Now recently in the fine thick sand in the dry riverbed in the Richtersveld park towing my Bundu offroad trailer I was glad I did not have to struggle like the 3.0 TDI Patrol who had to go difflock enol as it could not rev enough thought the thick sand with the trailer on tow, but ja when the fuel bill comes I will be eating bread for a month or so. but ja all that idling before and after driving alone makes a petrol engine worth my while, I hate to baby up an engine all the time.