logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Hummer

4x4Community

Hummer Like nothing else

Old 17-05-11, 12:08 PM

rawnerve Member
Unhappy H3 Differential Mount Bushings

My dealer has reported that the 'knocking noise' I have is due to a worn mount bushing for the differential. The cost to replace is a hefty R8900. I have told him to hold off for now, but I know I need to replace soon before any damage is done to the diff.

I seem to ask this often lately, but can anyone offer advice of where I can go to get this fixed for less? Or do I 'bite the bullet'?
Old 17-05-11, 12:41 PM
Moderator (aka Zantus)

Barto Member

That sound like a lot of money for bushes. Did they give you a breakdown of the costs? How much of that is labour?
Old 17-05-11, 12:48 PM

rawnerve Member

The service manager could only describe the item as the 'front diff mount bushings are worn', and R8900 includes the part and labour. I will collect the car this afternoon and get the part number(s), costs and labour and let you know. I am assuming that town driving will not cause any damage to my diff.....
Old 17-05-11, 01:47 PM

Sennin Member

Not sure if were talking about the same bsuhing, but i know there's one in the front (carrier bushing) tahts a real P.I.T.A. to get out and replace....

some interesting reading:
http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/vie...hp?f=25&t=9842

It's not a car, It's not a truck, It's not just another 4x4, It's a HUMMER

Hummer H3 Adventure 5.3 V8
BT50 3.0CRDi ECU Flash
Jurgens Xplorer

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=66821

Old 19-05-11, 08:55 AM

rawnerve Member

Picked my H3 up from the dealer and clarified the part - it is the Front Support Differential Crossmount, part #25872770. The rubber bushing has failed. The service manager confirmed that they replace the crossmount itself, not just the bushing (due to the difficulty in removing it I suspect!). The cost for the part is R7,660. I searched the net and I can get the part in the US for R2,900 (excludes shipping, duties). The service manager said that he will try source the part elsewhere (but didnt look very confident).

I will try my luck calling another GM dealership, but I am not sure whether there are any other places to search for this part locally?
Old 19-05-11, 09:01 AM

Sennin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawnerve View Post
Picked my H3 up from the dealer and clarified the part - it is the Front Support Differential Crossmount, part #25872770. The rubber bushing has failed. The service manager confirmed that they replace the crossmount itself, not just the bushing (due to the difficulty in removing it I suspect!). The cost for the part is R7,660. I searched the net and I can get the part in the US for R2,900 (excludes shipping, duties). The service manager said that he will try source the part elsewhere (but didnt look very confident).

I will try my luck calling another GM dealership, but I am not sure whether there are any other places to search for this part locally?
Sjeesh, sorry to hear that.

Your only option will be to import tha part, or to replace the bushing in the crossmount as described in the tread I posted previously...

BT50 3.0CRDi ECU Flash
Jurgens Xplorer

Old 20-05-11, 08:35 AM

rawnerve Member

www.buygmpartsworldwide.com are able to sell and ship me the crossmount for a total of US$450. If I add customs and duties, this will end up costing about R4k. The part can arrive here in 12 working days. I have emailed the dealership this information, and asked if they can find a way to reduce their part cost from R7660 to something closer to R4k - I would prefer not to have the hassle of importing myself, but for a saving of R3.5k I dont mind! I have had no response yet from the dealership, will wait until Monday.
Old 20-05-11, 08:47 AM

Sennin Member

Quote:
www.buygmpartsworldwide.com are able to sell and ship me the crossmount for a total of US$450. If I add customs and duties, this will end up costing about R4k. The part can arrive here in 12 working days. I have emailed the dealership this information, and asked if they can find a way to reduce their part cost from R7660 to something closer to R4k - I would prefer not to have the hassle of importing myself, but for a saving of R3.5k I dont mind! I have had no response yet from the dealership, will wait until Monday.
Hope the dealership will be able to help you

BT50 3.0CRDi ECU Flash
Jurgens Xplorer

Old 02-09-13, 08:37 AM

Sennin Member

Quote:
So what was the final verdict Rawnerve? Stealer or own import?

BT50 3.0CRDi ECU Flash
Jurgens Xplorer

Old 02-09-13, 09:06 AM

rawnerve Member

In the end the workshop manager guy agreed to help me out by giving me a very big discount. I asked for the old part and to see the new one, but not sure where he got it from! So it was sorted. I think I paid R5k for the parts and labor.

At my last recent service I was told that the cab mounts are now making a noise, and since then it is very noticeable I think. The dealer said we could grease them up but I should not worry for now, but the rattle is loud. I am hoping frozen4days can meet up with me to take a listen and advise.....unless you are back in JHM some time yourself ?
Old 02-09-13, 01:06 PM

ZachH3 Member

So we are on the same track........

Rip off if you ask me.

Current: 3.7L 5s H3 Hummer Auto
Previous: 3.0 4x4 Mazda BT50

Old 04-09-13, 06:37 PM

frozen7days Member

some times you can take a chance and bring the unit in under a different commodity code preferable a duty free one and just pay freight costs

find out what codes they use for duties and try find an alternate code which it could possible fall under .

Current: Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 HSE

upgrade
8mm steel bush plate
Front Runner discreet winch bracket
T-MAX 9500 winch
Front Runner roof rack
Front Runner ladder

Hero : 3.7L 5s H3 Hummer Auto
upgrades
T-max winch 9500
Rancho RX9000 XL shocks
Rancho Myride