logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > The 4x4 Pub

4x4Community

The 4x4 Pub Off topic chat area, from the latest to IT questions may be posted here. Please keep it clean and family orientated, or your post WILL be deleted.
Joke and funny picture threads are not welcomed, and will be removed without notice.

View Poll Results: Do you use ENGINE treatments such as Prolong or not?
YES i do! 16 21.92%
NO, are you crazy|! 57 78.08%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-01-11, 07:34 AM

Default Prolong engine treatment?

Hey,

Has anyone used Prolong before? Is it worth it?

I’ve always been very sceptical about these kinds of things, but never actually tried for myself, or asked anyone that has used it…. Well cause I don’t know anyone that's used it?

I saw it in the shop the other day, and could remember the Verika.... I mean Verimark TV adds, and was quite surprised that it's still going, is there perhaps something to this engine treatment?

Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prolong.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	84667  

Chris
Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
HYADES

Last edited by Hyades; 26-01-11 at 09:12 AM.
Old 26-01-11, 07:56 AM

The same question as 2stroke in your diesel, many for and many against. Mind you the same as your power/balance bracelets, if the motor siezes its something else's fault if it doesn't its Prolongs fault

Ex Range Rover 4.6 HSE (7.5km/l)
Ex Honda CRV 2.2 TDCi (12.5km/l)
Ex Ford Courier 3.0 DC 4x4 (7.5km/l)
Avis Toyota Yaris 4x4,F1 GP, Drift champ (eish)
http://photo.net/photos/Adriaan

Old 26-01-11, 07:57 AM

Polls never lie !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo

Old 26-01-11, 08:32 AM

I will never use it, IMHO Bardahls oil treatment is the best there is!

Old 26-01-11, 08:59 AM

Hmmm....

Sofar it's "NO" Where are the people that have used it? Common, write some comments, don't be shy!

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Chris
HYADES
Old 26-01-11, 09:06 AM

Let google be your friend, if it was as good as they say, blah blah.

What people do not realise, and engine has a life span... that is it.... Petrol and Diesel kills an engine, prolong, is snake urine, rather save your money and go buy a bottle of Rum...

Remember in the old days, 100 000 miles and nobody would touch that second hand car with a barge pole, now you have little tazzes running to 3 or 400 000 KM... and sell for good money, my merc has almost 420 000 Km on and runs fine... never had prolong in...

Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Old 26-01-11, 09:14 AM

Only use it if you plan to drive your Viper in the desert without oil!

Old 26-01-11, 09:18 AM

I agree, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I've seen a diff where the guy used prolong and the oil turned to grease/sludge. I wouldn't use it to lube my son's bike chain.
Old 26-01-11, 09:18 AM

I was first introduced to Prolong in the early 1990's when it became available in SA and was fortunate to attend a live demo on a trailer mounted engine and since then used it on my vehicles once the speedo hit 15 000 k's. The only vehicle that I do not use it on is my bike because of the wet clutch.
When I lived in Zambia I had a Pajero 2500 TD SWB (used) which after 2 years when I sold it on returning home turned out to be the only one that had not broken down due to engine failure.
Maybe I was just lucky, but I'll stick to Prolong.
Old 26-01-11, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrvermaak View Post
Only use it if you plan to drive your Viper in the desert without oil!
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Or if you want to throw sand in your valves!

LoL, I remember the TV ad very well!

Funny stuff.

Chris
HYADES
Old 26-01-11, 09:22 AM

I have used it and it did shut up a whining bearing on the cam shaft of a 2300 Chevair engine - BUT it also left a sticky residue in the engine by the time it was due for the next service.
I poured it into the engine while it was running and you could actually hear the whine go away, but after finding the goo it caused inside the engine I vowed never to use it or anything like it again.

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

082 975 9746
thysleroux(at)mweb.co.za
RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
Is there no Forum member in or near KWT who can give Hunter a swift lick in the nuts!?
Old 26-01-11, 09:29 AM

I have being working with engines since pa fell off the bus. I have found prolong to be the best oil additive. Looking at the inside of engines with other aditives, I found a lot of gunk build up. I have not found that with prolong. Granted I would not use it on a new engine. But with an old one thats making some rattles and noises , and there is no money for a rebuild, Put prolong in it , it goes quiet and runs for ever. That's just my Experience with the product.

2012 Range Rover Evoque
2009 Defender SVX 60th Limited
1997 Discovery V8 ES (Sold)
2009 Freelander 2 TD4 (Sold)
2012 Spite Tourer SP
2010 Jugens XT140 (Sold)
2008 Jugens Xplorer (Sold)

Old 26-01-11, 09:55 AM

Here I will have to tread very carefully as it could get rather slippy

A few years ago, we manufactured the Prolong product range on behalf of Prolong. This was done at our factory in Krugersdorp and we employed a tribologist (50 yearsí experience in the lubrication industry) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribology) for quality control, formulae etc. Lubrication is an exact science nowadays and not some hit and miss industry.

Does Prolong work? The short answer is, in general, yes it does. The problem with additives like this is that the chemicals used are no longer that environmentally friendly or is carcogenic and that has led to the banning of such products in many countries.

There will always be proís and conís to any product or service no matter how good it is. We used the product in our fleet and never did we have any engine or gearbox failures. I will try and get the tribologist to explain to me in simple terms how it works plus the benefits/downfalls and then post it here.

Old 26-01-11, 10:02 AM

Used it in 2,4d and definately was a difference in cold starting but also did find sludge in sump so have stopped using it.
Old 26-01-11, 10:07 AM

Morning.....
Put prolong into my 97 Colt 3000 V6 Petrol with 390 000 km's on the clock, I claim temporary insanity.. The vehicle was never smoking untill that "stuff" went into my engine... it has cost replacing valve stem seals and guides. So I am against it totally.

I suggest using Prolong for anything else but as a additive for oil.

If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much space

Old 26-01-11, 10:11 AM
Commercial Member

I have used in in my Bantam many many years ago. Drove from Kroonstad to Bloem without a sump plug, don't ask me where it went. But being young a naive, (now I ' just young :-) )
I only noticed the engine and oil light when I stopped in Bloem. Checked the oild and there was absolutely 0 in there. Had her checked by Ford, oil was refilled and that was that, no damage or anything.

Had the little bonzai bakkie for another 120k km before I sold it. Never had issue!!

So yes it works.

2006 Defender TD5
benson@ecotrac.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/ecotrac

info@cover-worx.co.za

Old 26-01-11, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
Hmmm....

Sofar it's "NO" Where are the people that have used it? Common, write some comments, don't be shy!

VOTE VOTE VOTE!
OK here goes, I had a 92" Toyota Corolla GLI Twincam, the 96kw one. I used prolong religiously with every oil change. One day I had a dragrace (robot - robot ,my very younger years) with a 325td BMW. I reved the snot out of that little 1.6. The next day when I drove it again, I heard a bigend knock. Checked the oil and it was a bit low, so while revving so high it probably ran all the oil into head. So no, prolong did not save my engine as advertised on TV.

Snake oil I tell ya. Blind lies. Pay anyone enough and they will tell you it works.
Old 26-01-11, 10:41 AM

If you abuse an engine it will pop some time or other so you can only say it did not save the engine from abuse.
Old 26-01-11, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismcc View Post
Morning.....
Put prolong into my 97 Colt 3000 V6 Petrol with 390 000 km's on the clock, I claim temporary insanity.. The vehicle was never smoking untill that "stuff" went into my engine... it has cost replacing valve stem seals and guides. So I am against it totally.

I suggest using Prolong for anything else but as a additive for oil.
There is your problem Chris, too high milage - it's not an engine rebuild in a bottle.

Supposed to put it in once an engine has "run in" say 15-20,000kms - having said that I've pulled a head off a 5 cyl Audi motor at 128,000kms and still seen the hone marks!

Bought a Motor Guzzi bike ( yes yes I know - but I'm addicted to them ) that the previous owner had dosed with "Slick 50", went to the Buff rally in Bloem 750kms away and heard a slight tapping noise at +- 6000rpm, got back and removed the sump and it was full of B/E bearing pieces .

I measured the crankshaft journal, it was fine, no damage and not out of round. Just put in another set of B/E bearings and did another 40,000kms before I sold it. Was still going strong BUT it did stuff up the oil seals and leaked everywhere (just like Landies)

Also used it once on a datsun motor with high milage and it also leaked oil everywhere and boy did it smoke ofter that.

Haven't used it since, just do regular oil changes

Swambo: '11 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDI Platkar: Renault Modus Moi
'98 Patrol GRX 4500 with a couple of mods
'98 XJ Jeep - Plenty Mods
'06 BMW GS 1200
'81 Motor Guzzi LeMans Mk 3
Eurard on FAC : Beach driving is NOT driving dunes like those mad hatters of the southern tip side. They take a dune pick it up and put it down in another place.

Old 26-01-11, 11:24 AM

As the following test was not sanctioned by the SA Civil Aviation Authority, it never therefore actually happened

Whilst working on piston engined, turbo charged helicopters we were asked by one of the owners to do a "test" on Prolong.

The standard helicopter was pushed out of the hanger, the tank was filled to the brim, and it was started up. Once the engine etc was up to operating temp, it was pulled into the hover. The boost guage reading was carefully noted.

The heli was then landed, and Prolong was poured into the engine and gearbox. The tank was topped up to full again, and the helicopter was again started and pulled into a hover.

The environmental conditions had remained the same during both tests (only about 10 mins apart) Temp, QNH, etc. The helicopter weighed EXACTLY the same (fuel topped up) except for the added weight of the Prolong now in the engine and gearbox.

The boost pressure now required to hover the heli came down significantly. This clearly pointed to reduced friction in both the engine and the gearbox. When that same gearbox underwent a scheduled overhaul and inspection about 1000 flying hours later, the wear patterns and tolerances were markedly reduced from what we were used to seeing.

No sludge or gunge buildup was found in either the engine or the gearbox.

I repeat, this test was was not sanctioned by the SA CAA, so therefore it never happened... *

*(just to protect the innocent involved! )

Old 26-01-11, 11:58 AM
Ek se mos

I used Prolong in my old 3litre courier 4x4. When putting it in for the first time the change in revs is audible. I had to turn the idle down significantly. The motor was still burning white when I sold it after several years.(14 years old) I did have a problem with sticky hydraulic lifters and believe that maybe Prolong is not great for old valve stem seals and lifters.

I used Prolong in my racing car. Same story with increased idle revs. I also used it in the gearbox because the dyno was showing me I was losing to much between the flywheel and the wheels. It made a difference. It gave me an extra couple of tenths in my lap times. I only used it once in the gearbox. After draining I only used plain oil (Bot130M)

I used Prolong in the wife's old car. Only once because I happened to have some on a shelf. I didn't replace it after the next oil change. Same blurb with the idle speed. It lasted for years and eventually sold to Henris. it also had a noisy valve lifter come to think of it. Years after using the Prolong though it must be said.

I use prolong in my lawnmower!! Revs went through the roof. (not quite as hectically as when I put nitro laced fuel in the mower by mistake but still made the engine scream)

I have NOT put Prolong in my current bakkie (still under maintenance plan) or the wife's current platkar (still under warranty)

I believe that Prolong works but am a little bit cautious because of the valve lifter issue I had with the Courier which may or may not have been due to the additive.
I don't concern myself with the negativity. I've used it and experienced the result.

(haven't logged on the forum for several months. I popped in for a peep and this thread was enough motivation to come kuier again)

* "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
.................................................. .....

Last edited by Spike; 26-01-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 26-01-11, 12:30 PM

Welcome back Spike!

BTW, Henris has been looking for you, something to do with the engine of the car you sold him blowing up...

Old 26-01-11, 12:41 PM

9 people are getting paid(Bribed), and 24 resit the temptation...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poll.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	84715  

• 5.7 Hemi
  • 3.6 Pet'a'star
  • 3.8 Supercharged
  • 6.0 LSII.....
4X4AG0066/0067

It is cynicism, it's not personal

Last edited by Zombicon; 26-01-11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 26-01-11, 01:40 PM

Hmmm,

Should I test it in the Isuzu or Toyota?

Isuzu = Turbo Diesel
Toyota = 1.6 Petrol

Chris
HYADES
Old 26-01-11, 01:52 PM

Hyades, just make sure you get the correct one as there is a difference in the formula for diesel and petrol engines.

Old 26-01-11, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDough View Post
Hyades, just make sure you get the correct one as there is a difference in the formula for diesel and petrol engines.

Not according to the bottle I saw at Builders Warehouse. Works on both Diesel & Petrol engines.

Eish, naa, I try it in the lawn mower first, like Spike did!

Chris
HYADES

Last edited by Hyades; 26-01-11 at 02:06 PM.
Old 26-01-11, 02:05 PM

HEY

Over 100 posts!

Only took 22 months!

Chris
HYADES
Old 26-01-11, 02:36 PM

Never used prolong, as I see it as snake oil. However, I had a CJ2 with a 350 Chevy that i mixed avgas in ... he he he ... 25% avgas per volume to 95 Octane. That thing went like the clappers!
Old 26-01-11, 02:53 PM

Took my Caravelle in for a service a few years ago and the garage guy insisted I put some in the gearbox as it so fantastic bla bla and bla.
Less than two weeks later the 3rd and fifth gear started whining.
I immediately had the gearbox drained and flushed with diesel and refilled with the very expensive audi oem oil (only R880/liter).
Noise went away within two days.
An expensive lesson learned.
I say stay away.
But then there is (was) Slick 50........

Old 26-01-11, 03:10 PM

My Opinion.... Stay away!! Snake oil!!!!

A friend of mine is a tribologist, he told me the Prolong breaks down the additives in the engine oil. I will try to get hold of his findings and put it here. He told me to steer well clear of this "Super Formulations" as it is all a bunch of BS in the long run...
Old 26-01-11, 03:14 PM

Neither, milage way too high..!

Swambo: '11 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDI Platkar: Renault Modus Moi
'98 Patrol GRX 4500 with a couple of mods
'98 XJ Jeep - Plenty Mods
'06 BMW GS 1200
'81 Motor Guzzi LeMans Mk 3
Eurard on FAC : Beach driving is NOT driving dunes like those mad hatters of the southern tip side. They take a dune pick it up and put it down in another place.

Old 26-01-11, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushcamp View Post
Never used prolong, as I see it as snake oil. However, I had a CJ2 with a 350 Chevy that i mixed avgas in ... he he he ... 25% avgas per volume to 95 Octane. That thing went like the clappers!

did you change anything to the engines tuning to make it go better?

a higher octane fuel will yield absolutely nothing when used on an engine that was running perfectly well on a lower grade fuel... in fact, you might very well find a decrease in performance, since the higher the octane rating, the harder it is to get the fuel to ignite.

The benifit comes from other factors, such as running more timing or adding boost pressure, or both, while using the higher octane fuel....
Old 26-01-11, 03:32 PM
Ek se mos

I agree with Rotor. Avgas is just high octane "petrol" and by diluting it in normal petrol it was nullified anyway

Old 26-01-11, 08:03 PM

I have seen the live demos ... YES, it DOES reduce "friction" between surfaces, AND that is ALL they claim.

BUT, and this is one almighty BIG BUT !! Engine oil has at least 14 different characteristics !!! Friction reduction being only one of these, others are anti foaming, low temp fluidity, non hygroscopic, etc etc ....

Now those "idjuts" at the oil companies just "happen" to through together a few stuff in their lab and sell it the unsuspecting public .... and it is up to the likes of Prolong to save us ...... yeah right !
Old 26-01-11, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
I have seen the live demos ... YES, it DOES reduce "friction" between surfaces
Many years ago the Wynns reps used to go around with a test rig to demontrate how it reduced friction.

Rep arrived and asked for some engine oil to fill the rig, told the appie on the side to get some EP90 which we duly poured into the rig.

After his big story about how brilliant Wynns was at reducing friction it was hilarious to see his face when the ball bearing would'nt seize
Old 26-01-11, 09:14 PM

Default Neat

Hi,

Yep those snake oil demo's are very convincing.

But will they reduce friction at elevated bearing temperatures and pressures.

Or will the liile Poly-whatsit balls in the mixture just collapse or melt and sieze or block something eventually.

I REALY DONT KNOW - but I wont take the chance.

Cheers
Keith

ZRC4576 VHF 4x4 "ORRA" Frequencies
ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D

Range Rover Sport TDV8 (The Green thing)
Range Rover 4.6 HSE P38 (Die Rooi Gevaar)
Jeep Rubicon (BuzzBee - The Yellow Peril)
And a Trustworthy Appliance that I absolutely love!

The nice thing about FRIDAYS, its only two more days until MONDAY.

People that know me know that I skrik vir niks, except for SWAMBO and slide slopes, and deep sand and mud and inclines and declines and ruts and axle twisters and mall pavements.

Old 26-01-11, 09:19 PM
Louisf

Wink Prolong engine treatment?

Modern oils are well researched and bad oil won't last in the market which is very competitive. Oils have an additive pack to enable the oil to perform as desired. Which is why car manufacturers, the better motoring magazines like our CAR and oil companies discourage the use of additives. Only additives properly tested can be commented on. The result you find with an additive depends on test conditions and -procedures and one guy's experience can hardly be compared with another's unless procedures are compared. Accurate measurements taken with proper equipment and carefully noted down is the only way to test additives. Or almost anything else for that matter.

Last edited by Louisf; 30-01-11 at 07:43 AM. Reason: First attempt found irrelevant upon reading it again.
Old 26-01-11, 09:42 PM

Default Great potential

Hi,

This thread has great potential as a source of important information.

In near future we will all learn that.

1/. Vehicle manufacturers all collude in a great conspiracy to hide important information about additives from the public so that they can get a reputation for being unreliable and sell more spares.

2/. Oil companies sell any old junk without testing or collaborating with vehicle manufacturers so that they can maximise profit.

3/. There are thousands of people that use the additive with outstanding result and no side effects.

4/. People that trust the manufacturer and oil companies will be branded as a bunch of naive and stupid sheep.

Cheers
Keith

Oh and

5/. Somebody somewhere, sometime, will go to jail, just before the thread is locked or nuked.

History repeats itself.

ZRC4576 VHF 4x4 "ORRA" Frequencies
ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D

Range Rover Sport TDV8 (The Green thing)
Range Rover 4.6 HSE P38 (Die Rooi Gevaar)
Jeep Rubicon (BuzzBee - The Yellow Peril)
And a Trustworthy Appliance that I absolutely love!

The nice thing about FRIDAYS, its only two more days until MONDAY.

People that know me know that I skrik vir niks, except for SWAMBO and slide slopes, and deep sand and mud and inclines and declines and ruts and axle twisters and mall pavements.

Old 26-01-11, 09:44 PM
Ek se mos

Quote:
Or will the liile Poly-whatsit balls in the mixture just collapse or melt and sieze or block something eventually
We've opened motors and the only thing we noticed was a peculiar bluish discolouration on some metal surfaces

Quote:
Now those "idjuts" at the oil companies just "happen" to through together a few stuff in their lab and sell it the unsuspecting public .... and it is up to the likes of Prolong to save us ...... yeah right !
The same argument can be made against all the guys who charge off and buy "upgraded" tyres, bumpers, shocks, exhausts, chips, et al when the OEM stuff works perfectly fine

Old 27-01-11, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
The same argument can be made against all the guys who charge off and buy "upgraded" tyres, bumpers, shocks, exhausts, chips, et al when the OEM stuff works perfectly fine
not really, let me try to explain my thinking on this.

We know that most 4x4's are bought by pavement parkers. Thus the bumpers and suspension etc is NOT "optimized" for off road use. Adding a bashplate provides added protection to my vehicle - over and above to what the manufacturer saw fit to provide. The after market bumper allows winch fitment. and after we have justified all our toys the standard suspension can no longer handle the extra weight and on comes the after market suspension ....

Fuel additives .... enough said on that topic already - but please let's NOT confuse that with oil additives !

Oil is such a high tech cocktail to provide the best possible protection for todays modern engines. In theory it is possible to increase a single function of the oil by adding an additive, BUT what does this to the "cocktail" and the other functions of the oil ?

Prolong is almost 20 years old (or is it even older?). SURELY in these last couple of years the high end oils have moved PAST the point where a 20 year old additive can so easily improve it.

then again, if you have a 20 year old SFA running on the cheapest oil you can find at P&P then maybe this can actually help you vehicle ....
Old 27-01-11, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismcc View Post
Morning.....
had much the same issue with my Corsa way back, was getting a little rattly etc, put prolong in, it seemed to get worse and ended up with with much the same as Chris.

the hand cleaner that came in the kits really does work though!

Old 27-01-11, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougn View Post
had much the same issue with my corsa way back, was getting a little rattly etc, put prolong in, it seemed to get worse and ended up with with much the same as chris.

the hand cleaner that came in the kits really does work though!

bwhahahahahahahahahaha!

Chris
HYADES
Old 02-02-11, 11:37 PM
Jacquesvw

But wait, that's no all! If you buy now we will also include 200ml sunflower oil for your windscreen whippers. Absolutely free!
Old 03-02-11, 06:52 AM
ORA

Well it seems the response is, it works.......but for older engines.

-------------------------

GP

ATLANTIS FUN DAY 25 OCT 2014...look at website. The biggest offroad event in the cape
Ian
IOA .Independent offroad association
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
4WDCSA...VHF ZUS2761......29MHZ ZRF430
Dedicated to offroad lifestyle.
RHINO ANTI POACHING SUPPORT
Arrive Alive South Africa | 4x4 Off-Road Driving Techniques & Safety
ORRA WC20

Old 03-02-11, 06:53 AM

What a bunch of disbelievers !!!
A friend has had Prolong in an old 4 x 4 for 2 years now.
He said recently that he will soon be buying a distributor so he can start the motor.

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo

Old 03-02-11, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
Well it seems the response is, it works.......but for older engines.
.................... as long as the milage is not to high !

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

082 975 9746
thysleroux(at)mweb.co.za
RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
Is there no Forum member in or near KWT who can give Hunter a swift lick in the nuts!?