logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Toyota

4x4Community

Toyota Lead the way!

Old 11-12-10, 05:03 AM

Unhappy Plug and Play chip on Toyota Fortuner, no difference!

Hi guys,

I've been browsing a lot of forums to find out if it's worth it having a chip installed in my Toyota Fortuner. I have only read that people find that it takes care of the pull away lag, so I eventually went to SAC to have a Plug & Play chip fitted to my new manual 2010 D4D Toyota Fortuner 4x4. They supplied me with a grid after they installed the unit and dyno tuned it that shows that I gained 20kW and 50Nm torque. I was so excited, but when I got in to my vehicle and drove away, there was absolutely NO difference. I don't understand why, because with that much gain there should surely be a BIG noticeable difference in the pull away and when accelerating in any gear? I aventually went back and had it removed again because luckily SAC offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Did anybody else have the same experience as me? What do you suggest?

Thanx,
Mantie
Old 11-12-10, 06:16 AM

I was very happy with mine. Almost no turbo lag and when I towed my boat there where a big defrence. Don't know what went wrong with yours. Try Dastek in Monumentpark in PTA they develop the chips and they also fit them. Speak with Albert. He does not have good cominication skills you will think he is rude or somthing. But he knows what he is doing. I also can tel you that my 3d4d had 230000km on the clock and no problem with chip.

Good luck.
Good luck.
Old 11-12-10, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantie View Post
Hi guys,
Plug & Play chip fitted to my new manual 2010 D4D Toyota Fortuner 4x4
Mantie
Just a thought .
If your vehicle is still new with little mileage perhaps the engine etc is still 'tight'?
I know that I test drove a d4d double cab 4x4 and was totally unimpressed with its performance compared to my single cab d4d with 190 k kms on it . I know 4x4 is extra weight etc but they were incomparible.
I could only conclude that the difference in performance was from the new vehicle only having 2 000 kms on it and still being ' tight '
Old 11-12-10, 08:43 AM

Do you still have the dyno sheets ?

Does the first say: "measured at the wheels" and
the second: "estimated at the flywheel" ?

Many dyno places have been found guilty of this over the years ....

mostly they get away with it because older vehicles actually needs a bit of tuning to operate at peak efficiency again, where as your new vehicle was still close to peak.
Old 11-12-10, 11:23 AM

I doubt the guys at SAC Centurion will fiddle the dyno printouts just to show an increase. I found them to be very knowledgeable.

It depends where the gains were on the rev range and your particular driving style. If there was a 20kw increase at 4000 rpm and you only rev to 3000 for instance you won't feel the difference. Sometimes the curve was more peaky and it sort of hit a "power band" before which gives the impression of more power. Now it may have more on the lower end and the power delivery is more but smoother so it feels different. I've experienced cars that feel strong that wasn't really and vice versa. Even a noisy exhaust can make a car "feel" faster.

A good way to test is to check what speed you do up a certain hill before and after in a certain gear etc.

2012 Renault Koleos 2.5i

2005 D2 XS TD5 Auto sold at 189000km
2003 D2 GS TD5 Auto sold at 165000km
1999 D2 GS V8 Auto sold at 178000km

Old 11-12-10, 01:21 PM

Default At last, honest feedback

Ek gaan nou op my hande sit ......................

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

082 975 9746
thysleroux(at)mweb.co.za
RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

Old 11-12-10, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
Ek gaan nou op my hande sit ......................
CHICKEN !

Let's face it Car magazine has had many article through the years about various tuning centres pulling this stunt, ie before readings at the wheels and after tuning readings estimated at the flywheel.

Dis-honest and competent are two seperate concepts ..... and some competent people HAVE been dis-honest over the years .....

I am NOT saying this tuning centre was dis-honest ! I am hoping the dyno charts are still available to PROOVE what figures were quoted.

I will also say that IF you get an extra 20 kW and 50 Nm you WILL feel it !
Old 11-12-10, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
CHICKEN !
Let's face it Car magazine has had many article through the years about various tuning centres pulling this stunt, ie before readings at the wheels and after tuning readings estimated at the flywheel.
Dis-honest and competent are two seperate concepts ..... and some competent people HAVE been dis-honest over the years .....
I am NOT saying this tuning centre was dis-honest ! I am hoping the dyno charts are still available to PROOVE what figures were quoted.
I will also say that IF you get an extra 20 kW and 50 Nm you WILL feel it !
Chris, I've made my opinion of this practice public on more than one occasion - en ek stem saam met jou. Kyk na die heading van my vorige post.

Now back to sitting on my hands ........

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

082 975 9746
thysleroux(at)mweb.co.za
RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

Old 11-12-10, 04:02 PM

Thys I got you off your hands quick enough though ...
Old 11-12-10, 06:29 PM

My D4D showed the same increases. It made the driving experience much better, more responsive, better overtaking etc. However, you will still not win races at the robots!
You only realise the big differance once you remove the chip again.
Old 12-12-10, 08:48 AM

Hi guys, thanx for the feedback! I also think that it's got to do with my D4D being a 4x4. and also because it's still new and "tight". I will however give Albert at Dastek a call to see if he has some more advice for me. Don't want to fiddle too much and stand chances to avoid warranty and stuff, so I'll rather play it save. ScooterBike is also correct in saying that my vehicle was slightly more responsive, better at overtaking, but still the same lag on pull away. Unfortunately the slow pull away is the biggest issue I have, overtaking has always been quite impressive for me on the D4D. I will scan the dyno result for you guys tomorrow at work and attach it to this post, maybe you guys can confirm a thing or two regarding power readings on the flywheel and readings on the wheels.

Anyways, thanx for the advice and honest feedback guy!
Cheers
Old 14-12-10, 09:53 AM

Mantie, here in Ozzieland there are about 12 different plug-n-chip systems and everyone claim those big figures. 4WD Monthly took most of them and fitted them to a Ford 4x4 bakkie and tested them and compared before and after. There were gains, particular low down 'grunt' and smoother torque delivery. The real gain's came from fitting 75mm exhausts with the chip.
I had the Nissan Hardbody and did the Dastec chip. But, fitted a 65mm exhaust and an intercooler. Before it was 65kw on the rear wheels and after 99kw. I stood by when they tested it and the bakkie performed well. I was pleased but I did the full package. On the D4D the gains are not that high, probably only at about 3800rpm
Johan

Toyota Hilux D4D SR5
ZS6YR/VK4JHE
Old 14-12-10, 10:59 AM

Hi Johan, thanx for the advice. I will probably also go to Dastek and look at doing the exhaust and then again for the chip. But for now I think I must first put some more kilos on my D4D.
Old 15-12-10, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantie View Post
Hi guys,

I've been browsing a lot of forums to find out if it's worth it having a chip installed in my Toyota Fortuner. I have only read that people find that it takes care of the pull away lag, so I eventually went to SAC to have a Plug & Play chip fitted to my new manual 2010 D4D Toyota Fortuner 4x4. They supplied me with a grid after they installed the unit and dyno tuned it that shows that I gained 20kW and 50Nm torque. I was so excited, but when I got in to my vehicle and drove away, there was absolutely NO difference. I don't understand why, because with that much gain there should surely be a BIG noticeable difference in the pull away and when accelerating in any gear? I aventually went back and had it removed again because luckily SAC offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Did anybody else have the same experience as me? What do you suggest?

Thanx,
Mantie
Hi Mantie

I have a 2007 Fortuner D4D manaul with a Dastek chip fitted. It is the older tipe they fit to the computer(inside the cab). I am very happy with mine, big difference.
My boss has a 2010 Fortuner D4D with the newer chip fitted that fits onto the pump.( in the engine bay). He is also not very happy,small difference.

Maybe thats the problem.

Sprite Super Sport

Last edited by Bulletjie77; 15-12-10 at 09:41 AM.
Old 15-12-10, 11:57 PM

Hi!

My D4D has a Toyota Motor Sport Chip together with an on/off switch, so I am able to use use it only when I need it.

Difference is remarkable!

Cheers,

Stefan

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained (Mark Twain)
Old 16-12-10, 11:35 AM

Hi,

I had my chip installed by CRD. Remarkable difference. Best money spent!

Lance.
Old 18-12-10, 09:43 PM

Hi Stefan,

The Toyota Motorsport chips are not available in SA. Too bad cause I think they would have sold a lot.

Cheers
Old 27-12-10, 09:20 PM

DieselTorque chip. 153 kw en 470 N, op my d4d fortuner 4x4
Old 31-12-10, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi viljoen View Post
DieselTorque chip. 153 kw en 470 N, op my d4d fortuner 4x4
Rudi, het jy dyno print out? hoeveel was jou dyno syfers voor die chip? hoe lank gebruik jy al hierdie chip en hoe loop die Fortuner nou?
ek wil ook chip doen op my Fortuner.