logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > The 4x4 Pub

4x4Community

The 4x4 Pub Off topic chat area, from the latest to IT questions may be posted here. Please keep it clean and family orientated, or your post WILL be deleted.
Joke and funny picture threads are not welcomed, and will be removed without notice.

Old 17-05-10, 04:50 PM
RIP: 20Sep1969-08Dec2011

Default How to stop my dog eating my car!

My dog ate my ABS sensor wires, I got replacements but dont want to fit it incase it happens again. Wrap with barb wire?

Old 17-05-10, 04:54 PM

Hey Rice ... I would love an answer too ... and not this one

Quote:
Try feeding your dog!
Our pitbull decided to get medieval on my super bike on Friday night ... he ate the riders seat, chewed both fairings, chewed through one of my braided hoses and started eating my fuel tank.

I had to do some serious counting not to get medieval right back at him!

Thanks to:
M&P Fabworx
Zone Offroad

TJ Evolution - Jeep Builds

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what its wants!"

Last edited by GreenDisco; 17-05-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 17-05-10, 04:55 PM

Try feeding your dog!

'07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
William E. Gladstone

Old 17-05-10, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabfender View Post
Try feeding your dog!
When I saw the thread heading, I expected to see this reply to be the first

Old 17-05-10, 05:03 PM

make an enclosure for your car so your dog can't get to it - will cost some $$ but is to protect something that cost a lot more $$$$$$

Old 17-05-10, 05:05 PM

Maybe I should just clean out my garage and park it in there.

Old 17-05-10, 05:10 PM
Commercial Member: Cobrax

Could be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
Maybe I should just clean out my garage and park it in there.

Dogs don't like serious chillie. So maybe some nice Mozambican chillie will do the trick.

Old 17-05-10, 05:12 PM

Rub the wiring with some Hibenero?

Old 17-05-10, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS d2 View Post
make an enclosure for your car so your dog can't get to it - will cost some $$ but is to protect something that cost a lot more $$$$$$
I leaning towards making a 2x2 enclosure for my dog and saving $$$$!

I read on someones signature that the more people they meet the more they like their dog ... I used to agree

Thanks to:
M&P Fabworx
Zone Offroad

TJ Evolution - Jeep Builds

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what its wants!"

Old 17-05-10, 05:22 PM

Strange this Riceburner, I see you own a LR is there any chance that your dog has seen, OR worse still, starred in any of the Toyota ads??

Sorry could not stop my fingers..........
Old 17-05-10, 05:24 PM

I have a Boxer yes, but its my half breed thats a problem

Old 17-05-10, 05:34 PM

Lucky guess!!

Me thinks your dog may be a bit miffed with you and might want some attention

Last edited by PaulWW; 17-05-10 at 05:36 PM.
Old 17-05-10, 05:54 PM

Barbed wire is a bit cruel !!! Maybe just a muzzle ?

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo

Old 17-05-10, 08:02 PM

We had a Doberman that got up to this.

Vet recommended a "shinbone" - go to your local buther and buy a big shin bone, just slightly pre kook this on the braai. The first time the dog took a day or two to get "into" this bone. Kept her busy for a few weeks, almost 2 to 3 months. Then an fresh bone, this one she almost took from the braai grid.

Also paint items with Jeyes Fluid (drain cleaner). The dog does not like the smell nor taste.

This was the end of our troubles in this regard
Old 17-05-10, 08:18 PM

There are a few 'dog whisperers' around,I got advice after my staffie wouldn't stop peeing on the tyres,this dog must have had a 45 litre bladder,and with it being a LR I couldn't see if it was oil seals leaking,anyway the 'dog whisperer' reckons it possesiveness as they see the loud machine as a threat as you-the boss,ride/drive the rival.He leaves my wifes car completely alone and they are parked next to each. other

Old 17-05-10, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDisco View Post
I leaning towards making a 2x2 enclosure for my dog and saving $$$$!
I read on someones signature that the more people they meet the more they like their dog ... I used to agree
I still agree.. I have a Hilux, it kicked the dog..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Old 17-05-10, 09:03 PM

I tend to agree with PaulWW. Maybe spend some quality time with your best friend, it may help. What gets me is how come you never heard any of this happening. I and many others were brought up with KLAP and listen theory. It worked and made us understand values. The same applies to animals, unless you put your foot down and state the law they take over. You only need to do this once (in moderation of course). Don't fear I'm in the same process with my 2 new jack russels, love them to bits but they need to learn manners (behind the wifes back of course,ha,haaa)

3 Skid plates;75mm lift;275/70/16 Maxxis MT's;Merrit 16rims;Maxe spots+ night breakers on all lights; Solace protection;TJM snorkel;TJM XGS shocks;TJM coils+Bellows; Maniac front & rear steel bumpers;Spare wheel and 3x Jerry can carriers;Rock sliders;Side awning;Front Runner roof rack; Dual batt system;Procool fridge/freezer;2xGarmin;clinometer;Twin free flow exhaust,Fini comp; ARB independent Airlockers F&B; Winch; Drawer Sys;50Lt Water tank;VHF&29Mhz(2)radios; 8x ss Fish road holders; Safety whip&flag.Future mods,Viper V10or Lex V8 Lumina 6lt

Old 17-05-10, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton Berg View Post
I and many others were brought up with KLAP and listen theory. It worked and made us understand values. The same applies to animals, unless you put your foot down and state the law they take over.
My brother has a boxer too, luckily for him her hobby is gardening and not panel beater.. But sher gets all the attention in the world and still finds energy to ruin the garden..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Old 17-05-10, 09:23 PM

I had my dog chewing on the bumper of my wifes car

I got my Bull terrier a Kong and she is always chewing on it

You also need to spend time with your dogs as it is also boredom

http://www.dogtoys.com/powchewforla.html
Old 18-05-10, 02:02 AM

Dit was seker al op die forum, maar ek lag myself nogsteeds simpel elke keer as ek dit lees. Dit gaan oo 'n ou wie se Jack Russels hom moeilikheid gee.

Quote:

Hi,
Ek sweer ek het dit nou gehad met die honde... Ek gaan hulle nog een kans gee. Die ding is, ek weet rerig nie meer wat om te doen nie want dis elke dag iets anders. En dit maak nie saak as ek goed hoog ophang of wegsteek nie, want Johnson kan al meer as 'n meter hoog spring. So dalk as iemand weet van mense met 'n plaas wat 2 jack russels soek, laat weet my. Ek wil rerig nie die honde weg gee nie, maar ek raak nou moedeloos.
Die fotos aangehg is 'n R700 boks sak wat hulle gister bygekom het. Behalwe die boks sak, het hulle al die volgende goed ook al op gevreet"
'n R450 Rugz honde mandjie wat die veearts my belowe het sal ten minste 1 jaar hou (wel, hy het dit net net verby die 3 weke merk gemaak)
2 Kamp stoele. (Nie eers myne nie, maar mense wat by my gebraai het).
20 m tuinslang is in 400 vyf cm stukkies gekou.
Hulle kom nie meer in die huis nie, maar ek dink die honde kan teleport soos op startrek, want daar is nou al 3 handoeke, 20 onderbroeke, kombuis vat doeke, en 'n remote opgevreet.
2 Besems
1 Rubber hark.
3 Sakke charcoal (hulle skeer nie net die sak nie, hulle vreet actually die charcoal. Dan moet mens 2 dae lank pik swart honde optel) --- En vir die wat wonder, ek bere die charcoal binne in my Weber onder sy deksel. Die hond spring op die weber, balanseer op een of ander onverklaarlike manier homself, stamp die deksel af en trek die sak charcoal uit die weber en vreet dit op.
Al die sifdraad, mesh grid en enige ander ding wat ek opgesit het om hulle uit die tuin te hou. En ja, hulle sluk actually stukke sif draad in. Jy sien dit in hulle mis twee dae later.
Klein boompie wat by my agter deur gestaan het. Hulle het actually 'n hele boom opgevreet!
My potplant binne die huis is moer toe. Weereens, dis asof Johnson vinnig in hardloop as die deur oop is en voor jy hom kan vang of moer, byt hy alles, gryp 'n speaker draad en spring op al die beddens en banke.
'n Grasperk --- Hulle myn vir steenkool of goud. Die rede hoekom ek dit s, want hulle soek definitief nie vir krieke nie, want geen normale kriek bly 20 m onder die grond nie. Dis gevaarlik om na donker op my grasperk te loop, want jy mag dalk net in 'n skag in donner.
2 Honde bakke. Weereens, as dit nie vir die feit was dat ek stukkies plastiek in hulle gesien het wat die selfde kleur as die bakke is nie, sou ek gedog het my bure het die bakke gesteel, want hulle was gone.
Johnson het nou die aand al die honde in die omtrek gaan byt. Hy het uitgeglip, en van hek tot hek gehardloop, die hond aan sy neus gegryp en aan hom geruk asof hy 'n kombers is. Voor ek by hom kom, hardloop hy na die volgende hek. Die wetter is moer rats en my 100m sprint spoed is ook nie te wonderlik nie. Ek moes hom eventually tackle en het my vir 2 dae lank styf geval.
Nou die aand het hulle klein bietjie alcohol in gekry (Moet my nie kom dreig met die SPCA of sulke goed nie, ek is klaar uitgevreet en ek weet alcohol is baie sleg vir honde en ek sal dit nie weer doen nie, maar ek was raad op en wou net kyk of dit nie help nie!!!) Wel, dit het nie... Johnson het soos 'n bok begin spring en heeltyd op sy kop geval. Hy het ook volspoed in die garage deur vas gehardloop. En toe later... wel, kom ons stel dit so, Molly is nie meer 'n onskuldige klein hondjie nie.
Die enigste goed wat nog splinter nuut en sonder enige skade is, is die chewing toys wat ek vir hulle gekoop het. Ek dink hier is 'n consumer complaint, want die mense wat die chew toys maak het OBVIOUSLY geen ide waarvan Jack Russel hou nie. Dalk kan die honde gedagtes lees, en hulle vreet net die goed wat mens nog actually soek. Danie het juis gister ges hy is oortuig daarvan dat satan homslef dalk in Johnson manifesteer...
Dis waaraan ek nou kan dink, maar onthou, ek het die honde nou maar vir 4 maande, en apparently leef Jack russels nogals lank. Dis 'n vonnis, ek sweer! EN, moenie terug mail en s ek moet hulle bliksem nie, want ek doen. Ek het hom gister met 'n stuk van die tuinslang wat hy gevreet het gemoer, hard, en al wat gebeur het is dat hy vir my begin blaf en onder 'n struik gaan weg kruip. Vanoggend is die struik en die stuk tuinslang weg.
So ek het gedink ek sal hulle nog een kans gee of dalk twee, maar dit kan nie so aangaan nie. So, hartseer en als, ek begin rerig dit oorweeg om hulle dalk weg te gee. Hulle is nog baie jonk, Molly is 6 maande en Johnson is 9 maande. Altwee is opreg en Johnson het papiere.
Thanx
Frans

END Quote

Hier is ook 'n link waar hy so 3 jaar later weer 'n brief skryf oor die honde, ook net so snaaks.

WatKykJy

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S

Old 18-05-10, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbluck View Post
Dit was seker al op die forum, maar ek lag myself nogsteeds simpel elke keer as ek dit lees. Dit gaan oo 'n ou wie se Jack Russels hom moeilikheid gee.

Quote:

Hi,
Ek sweer ek het dit nou gehad met die honde... Ek gaan hulle nog een kans gee.
Ja ou Frans, ek lag altyd vir hom want die snaakste goed gebeur altyd met hom, en dan vertel hy dit altyd so goed!

Gelukkig is my twee Jack Russell's nie te stout nie.

2014 AutoAmaRock
RSI Signature Canopy
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 265/70 R17
Madd Cross Country + Bilstein B6 Off Road Shocks

Old 18-05-10, 09:27 PM
Commercial Member
(STOCK STANDARD)

Hey oom eric, I had good advice!!
Old 18-05-10, 09:36 PM

Get a solid steel gate from Engel!

D2 TD5 on 265/75x16's
4WDCSA
ORRA - T82
Old 18-05-10, 09:42 PM

Ja damn met my 2 jacks van 18maande het ek niks agter plaas nie maar nog steeds smoor verlief op hulle. Die blikmakers, he,heeee Die ander twee pavement specials bly weg as ek begin skel ha,haaaa. Dan slaap hul almal in die huis saam met ons. Dam ek raak nou te oud

3 Skid plates;75mm lift;275/70/16 Maxxis MT's;Merrit 16rims;Maxe spots+ night breakers on all lights; Solace protection;TJM snorkel;TJM XGS shocks;TJM coils+Bellows; Maniac front & rear steel bumpers;Spare wheel and 3x Jerry can carriers;Rock sliders;Side awning;Front Runner roof rack; Dual batt system;Procool fridge/freezer;2xGarmin;clinometer;Twin free flow exhaust,Fini comp; ARB independent Airlockers F&B; Winch; Drawer Sys;50Lt Water tank;VHF&29Mhz(2)radios; 8x ss Fish road holders; Safety whip&flag.Future mods,Viper V10or Lex V8 Lumina 6lt

Old 19-05-10, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
Hey oom eric, I had good advice!!

Sadly, some here might actually follow it!

-F_D

Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

O
ne Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, One Gold Fish