logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Toyota

4x4Community

Toyota Lead the way!

Old 01-02-10, 04:49 PM

Default Instability while towing Jurgens Xcape with Fortuner

I know that much has been said regarding the instability of the Fortuner. I don't want to rehash the whole issue, I simply am looking for a solution to my problem. Perhaps some members have experienced similar problems and could prevent a reoccurrence by sharing how they overcame the problem. I was towing a Jurgens Xcape with my 2007 Fortuner 4x2 on tar at approximately 100km/h. The Xcape developed a severe sway which I barely managed to control. Fortunately the episode did not end in an accident but I am nervous to tow again until I have resolved the issue. The Fortuner seems extremely sensitive while towing. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-10, 04:59 PM

First thing off the bat, fit a drop plate and lower your tow ball so the caravan nose is slightly lower than lever (pionting down)
also pack the caravan so that it is nose heavy, slightly heavy than you would pack for any other car...
if that doesnt help, you might have to upgrade your rear suspension

Old 01-02-10, 05:04 PM

I agree. Many owners towing caravans do not make sure that the tow hitch is slightly lower and that weight must be on the nose. I tow a heavily laden bush trailer and even at high speed over currugated roads, it is as stable as a rock behind my Fortuner.

Old 01-02-10, 05:14 PM

Brian, apart from ensuring that the van is packed correctly, do you perhaps use a stabilizer? We tow with a heavy duty straightliner and never had any swaying problems. Even in strong side winds.

Old 02-02-10, 02:21 PM

Install a set of Airhelper springs (Airbags) in the rear coils. This will solve most, if not all of your towing problems. I suggest this even when replacing the suspension with OME, Ironman, etc... as it increases the lifetime of the rear shocks and coils. Since you don't need/want the extra lift that comes with an aftermarket suspension because your vehicle is a 4x2, I would suggest you find out about the airbags. Also, when the time comes, put on decent tires if you haven't done that already.

Old 02-02-10, 07:29 PM

Brian, something else to look at, is tyre presure. We tow at 2.8 bar at the back of the vehicle and 2.5 in the front. Caravan at 2.8 bar. Been towing since 1993. I don't agree with Jaco on the installation of all those extras. It will cost you a fortune. Decent tyres I agree with. Make sure heavier items in the van is either over the axel or a bit to the front. Just do not stop caravaning, please!!!!!

Old 03-02-10, 11:54 AM

Hi Gents,
Thanks very much for the information, it is much appreciated. I will definitely make use of your advice to rectify the situation - I certainly don't want to go through an episode like that again! Don't worry, I won't give up caravaning!
Cheers
Brian
Old 03-02-10, 12:05 PM

Default Suspension upgrade

My BIL also drives a fortuner and has a Jurgens Explorer. He upgraded the suspension of his tuna, and was really impressed with the difference the suspension made with his setup. He never complains about instability even with caravan.

Saw another tuna with offroad caravan in the free state trying to dodge potholes, almost ended up in a tragedy!

IMHO do the suspension upgrade
Old 03-02-10, 07:28 PM
Commercial Member: Adventure 4x4 Academy

Default Specification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Brian, something else to look at, is tyre presure. We tow at 2.8 bar at the back of the vehicle and 2.5 in the front. Caravan at 2.8 bar. Been towing since 1993. I don't agree with Jaco on the installation of all those extras. It will cost you a fortune. Decent tyres I agree with. Make sure heavier items in the van is either over the axel or a bit to the front. Just do not stop caravaning, please!!!!!
The Fortuner specification whether loaded or unloaded is 2.1 bar.

Old 04-02-10, 08:44 AM
Commercial Member: Stofpad Products

Jy ry net te stadig! Kyk hier: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=50116

uys@stofpad4x4.co.za
www.stofpad4x4.co.za

Why you need Stofpad4x4 Rock sliders

Office: 012 654 7723 (sales)
Cell phone: 083 399 2046 (technical)

Old 08-02-10, 08:49 AM

Default Fortuner & XACPE

I have the same rig - Fortuner [4X4] & XCAPE.
Just after getting the Fortuner I experienced [the now well publicized and TSA phantom] severe Fortuner instability that I resolved by fitting Koni shocks all around.
We then bought the Jurgens XCAPE and have traveled very far and wide - on good and bad roads, travelling fast and slow, and have not experienced any swaying or instability issues.
I have the Toyota eye-blind upgraded Grabber tyres fitted and pump these 2.1 front, 2.5 rear and 2.8 XCAPE.
Jurgen's recommend a towball height of 570mm.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-10, 04:51 PM

Smile

Thanks for the tip PRA.
Old 08-02-10, 09:53 PM

Brian

I can agree with most of the advice that is being passed on here - with regards to towing. I would start with the practical approach though, before opening your wallet to all types of upgrades. I have been towing military trailers since 1990 and caravans since about 4 years ago. It is true that heavy items should go over the axle (if slightly forward). Also try to minimize lose items that can fall around in the caravan and upset it that way. One thing that you should be careful of is not to overload the towball, as it has a maximum weight capacity of about 100 kilograms and could spell disaster if overloaded. Look at this page on caravanparks.com for the full rundown, from people who have just done 50 years of caravanning journalism: http://www.holidayresorts.co.za/108....out+towing.htm

Good luck and keep on towing! AND enjoy your spectacular Fortuner!!

2001 Toyota Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c >
with some extra bits...

Old 09-02-10, 09:16 AM

I spent many years in the automotive fitment industry. To rectify some of the Fortuner problems you can start by replacing the rear coils springs with stiffer ones. East Rand spring works can make you a set that is the same lenght and diameter but is made of a thicker coil material. Price should be less than R 1000 and any fitment centre should be able to fit for you. This will also remove any axle tramp caused by uneven surfaces.
Next get a set of tyres with a stronger sidewall that will allow less roll. When towing pump the rear tyres to 3 bar. I pump my caravan tyres also to 3 bar (even 3.5bar) to ensure that I have minimum roll on the sidewall and less chance of a sidewall cut.
Next, find and fit a goosneck tow coupling that is forged and not cast. The forged goosenecks has a higher breaking strain and can handle up to 120kg down weight. This allows you to pack the caravan nose heavy. I also agree with the drop plate allowing the caravan to run slightly nose down. By transfering the weight to the towhitch you are forcing the rear axle of the car to cary more weight and hence be less prone to undersired axle movements. Caravan sway and tow vehicle rear end movements are normally caused by the towing coupling being light because of weight transfer to the extremeties of the rig. (Front and back but also left and right). By loading the towhitch weight (within reason) and by assiting the rear axle to resist side transfer of mass, stability is created.

My humble 2cw

Old 09-02-10, 05:09 PM

I am glad that I do not tow with a Forturnover . I have towed thousands of km in my life which included a lot of Totota`s . Yes you have to have the correct tyre pressure, the trailer, caravan have to be loaded correctly. However, I did not once experience all the trouble as what Fortuner owners except as part of their heaven of driving a Toyota. On not one of the numerous vehicles I towed with, there was something like dropped drawplates, the need of upgraded suspensions, critical tyre pressures and tyre brands. You hook up and go. At some stage, I pulled a boat behind a caravan and even find that stable enough. Maybe I am just to laid back but making tape measures , hi- tec pressure gauges , a tyre manual , becoming a racing driver and a scale calibrated in milli grams part of my towing kid is just ridiculous . It is just unbelievable that people are willing to do al these things just to tow with a Forturnover. Toyota SA can be lucky they are not dealing with the Americans. They surely would have to recall al the Fortuners or facing lawsuits bankrupting them .
But luckily the have brainwashed Toyota owners over the years who will in the good name of Toyota just keep quiet and modify their vehicles at their own cost and no matter what happens . They even are willing to risk their love ones live in defense of Toyota.

Just wondering
grips
Old 09-02-10, 10:11 PM

I am also one of the Fortuner (Hop en Rol) owners, not impressed at all with the road holding. I tow a Jurgens Fleetline for about 6 years, for 5 years with a Ford Ranger 2,5 D/c 2x4. I had one bad experience, my own fault, my Tando unhooked and I was in a bit of a hurry from Potch to Parys doing 140 a Taxi decide to stop in front of me on the main road to offload his "insittendes", I had to move over to the right line to avoid the taxi. The caravan start swinging, the Ford had no more power to pull it out of the swing, I timed the swing and as soon as the caravan was directly behind my car I hit the brakes as hard as I could and accelerate again. THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO DO IT, IT WORK FOR ME.
I fitted my Fortuner with BFG 265/75/16, I keep my tyre pressure at 2.1 bar (nitrogen) as Toyota specify. Dec we went Moz, towing the Caravan, leaving Potch 01h00 travelling with friends, all Toyotas, Hilux D-4D 4x4 d/c towing a Oryx and Hilux D-4D s/c 4x2 towing a quad trailer, the 2 Hiluxes have some super conversion done by Steves, mine still standard. We started travelling within the speed limits up to the Witbank freeway, we slightly speed up to 140/150 kph, none of us experience any unstability.
We came back from Moz newyear day, that is when my problems start, I could not go faster than 110 kph, the caravan start swinging, specially when a truck pass us from the front.I had a few bad swings, I decide to sell my Fleetline and are looking for a Xcape, I will have to do some modifications to my Fortuner as we plan to watch the soccer world cup from Botswana, Zambia and Moz. I had a few close calls on dirt and rough tar roads with the Fortuner, at high speeds (160 kph) and low speeds (80 kph) on dirt roads with the Grabbers. The Fortuner is a very nice vehicle, good off-road capabilities, but keep to the speed limits and do not brake and turn at the same time. I had mine on 2 wheels trying to avoid an accident.
Any recomendations that are really working to improve the problem Toyota are ignoring. I tried to sell it but I cant afford to loose so much money in such a short time.

Last edited by Koos Engelbrecht; 09-02-10 at 10:14 PM.