logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Land Rover

4x4Community

Land Rover Go Beyond! The best 4x4xfar!

Old 03-01-10, 07:36 PM

Default Best all purpose Vehicle

Over the last week I have test driven many different vehicles from small 7 seaters to big 4x4's.
My objective was to see what would be the best vehicle to purchase as a family car for the wife to drive. Bearing in mind, I have 4 kids, so the normal 5 seater will not do.

My intent for this post is in NO way to speak bad of any make or type of vehicle so I thought to just mention the top 5 I chose and why.

I do also realise that I did not drive every posible vehicle and some where 2nd hand and some where new, so my opinion is probably not a tru reflection of ALL posible vehicles.

If I only look at drive comfort and not practicality or price I was pleasantly and unexpectedly surprised. This came down to the 2006 Ford Territory. It was extremely comfortable and felt great to drive.

If I take all into account, Price, space, drive comfort, practicality and allround good feel then my choice is as follows;

1. Puma.New or 2nd hand. To me she drove like a dream and I felt like the king of the road. On top of this the space, seating, dash + instruments, economy is all 100 % suited for the purpose of a family vehicle and for 4x4. What more ALL PURPOSE do you get.

2. Renault Grand Scenic.New or 2nd hand. Very comfortable and very practicle with plenty gadgets such as fold down trays, plenty storage compartments, GPS, distance sensors etc. Only draw back was very little packing space if all 7 seats are used.

3. Chev Captiva. 2nd Hand. Extremely comfortable, plenty gadgets, back seats sits pretty comfortably.

4. Ford Territory. 2nd hand. Drives the most comfotable of all, spacious and the back seat sits pretty comfortable. Only downfall is possibly fuel consumption.

5. Fortuner. New or 2nd hand. Drives very comfortably, spacious. Only draw back was the back two seats do not sit very comfortably.

Old 03-01-10, 07:46 PM
ORA

These posts go on and on and on.
No 1 on your list. I think your heart is with this one.

-------------------------
Ian

Old 03-01-10, 08:24 PM
4ePajero

Your post is interesting for 2 reasons:

1. You don't mention safety features (the lack of which would disqualify the Defenders)
  2. The vehicles you mention are so dissimilar that it is difficult to compare them.
Old 03-01-10, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
These posts go on and on and on.
No 1 on your list. I think your heart is with this one.
This is VERY posible. However I am one of few who is just as much a Toyota fan as what I am a Land Rover Fan or any other make. I anyway presently own a Land Rover and a Toyota, so I think or hope my views are taken with NO insults intended. As I said my aim is not to talk any make down and my aim is for a family car NOT a 4x4.

My veiws are purely based on the vehicles I drove and on what would work as a FAMILY car, taking in mind Price,and practicallity.

I know this debate can go on for ever and can be debated for any make or type. I STRESS AGAIN, I DO NOT MEAN TO TALK ANY VEHICLE BAD!!!
so lets keep this post in context and ONLY TALK positive. PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE.

Last edited by karoo landy; 03-01-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 08:27 PM

My dad drives one of Jackie Selebi's Ford Territory's from new, got it in Oct 2008. Really nice vehicle, he's average fuel consumption for the whole period has been 13.5L/100km. Although the Police put's in the fuel I don't think my dad normally has a heavy foot. Drive around with him from time to time when I'm at home and is very comfortable, especially on the open road, overtaking is a pleasure. Definitely one to consider.

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S

Old 03-01-10, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
Your post is interesting for 2 reasons:

1. You don't mention safety features (the lack of which would disqualify the Defenders)
  2. The vehicles you mention are so dissimilar that it is difficult to compare them.

Thats correct. I did not look at safety issuses. I know these vehicles differ completely to each other.
My mindset when I test drove them was simply, how does it feel to drive and how practicle is the interior for the purpose of carting kids arounds, cost and the fuel consuption.

I know I'm no expert but I sit in the position where my Camry is simply to small for the whole family and need something els. At this stage the finances anyway do not allow for a new car so I recon I would probbably either struggle on with what I have or buy a 2nd hand microbus, simply for the cost and space. Fuel consumption, ouch.

Thats why I posted this post to see if anyone can come up with an idea I did not think of.

I am geniunly very impressed with the new Puma, especially when I compare to my Tdi. Whether my reasoning is write or rong, I don't know.

Last edited by karoo landy; 03-01-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 08:55 PM

My dad also has a territory and loves it