logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Mitsubishi

4x4Community

Notices

Mitsubishi Spirited cars for spirited people!

Old 14-11-09, 08:45 PM

Default Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo v6 4x4 Transfer light problem

Halo I need some advise on how to fix a flashing 4x4 transfer light on a Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo v6 4x4 D/C. It flashes when you engage 4x4 but it still engage 4x4 but the green transfer light is suppose to be solid green.

If someone can please give me instructions on how to fix it like the instructions on the pajero's transfer light. It seems that most of the pajero's had this problem but the colt is also having this problem. All advice will be welcome.

Thanks

Mitsubishi Pajero Super Select 4WD
Born on the Rally field
Bred with the future's Technology
Fashioned for the enjoyment of life

Best 4X4 by far!!!
Old 14-11-09, 09:25 PM

Mine does the same so it might be how it works. My ABS light also acts up, sometimes when I engage 4x4 it lights up and sometimes it doesn't. I will need to do some searches on that. Hope you get the information you are looking for. What model do you drive?
Old 14-11-09, 10:01 PM

Hi NewB

It's a 1999 Model and I don't think it must work like theat,because when I bought the vehicle and when engaging 4x4 the green transfer light was solid. And now it flashes even if the diff lock is on. It is the colt after the box shape.

Born on the Rally field

Best 4X4 by far!!!
Old 14-11-09, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jako_kruger View Post
HIt seems that most of the pajero's had this problem but the colt is also having this problem. All advice will be welcome.
Most Pajeros I think not... the fix is the same on the Colt as the Pajero

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 14-11-09, 10:23 PM

Well I actually meant gen 2 and 2.5 as they are a common error on some gen 2 and 2.5. Sorry rephrase I did not meant most of all the pajero's just some gen 2 and 2.5.

Thanks I'll go and print the instructions on fixing it.

Born on the Rally field

Best 4X4 by far!!!
Old 15-11-09, 08:35 PM
4ePikanini

See my signature to get you going.
Old 15-11-09, 09:00 PM

Thanx

4e will do so.

Born on the Rally field

Best 4X4 by far!!!
Old 16-11-09, 12:10 PM

Mine's the same. 2001 Auto Got a flickering green light when engaging 4X4Hi and then it changes to a constant green light in 4X4Low. If I brake hard, the ABS light also acts up by staying on. I have made peace with it since mechanically there seems to be nohing wrong. David
Old 27-11-09, 04:46 PM

Hi Jaco, laat iemand vir jou die 4 x4 control unit nagaan. dit klink of die probleem daar kan wees. ek hoop dis nie die geval nie!
Old 27-11-09, 04:52 PM
4ePajero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Seeker" View Post
Hi Jaco, laat iemand vir jou die 4 x4 control unit nagaan. dit klink of die probleem daar kan wees. ek hoop dis nie die geval nie!
What's that?
Are are no servos etc involved.
The transfer case is shifted by mechanical means.
The lights only show what was selected.
My lights are disconnected - the lever tells me what mode I am in.

On the vehicles with vacuum activator on the front diff, it could indicat that it is not enaging, but hen the roblem is not electrical/electronical.

Last edited by 4ePajero; 27-11-09 at 05:05 PM.
Old 20-02-10, 08:35 AM

Default Flashing 4x4 light

Hi.

My brother's Colt also have a problerm with the 4x4 indicator light. When he engages 4x4 the light goes on, but when he goes back to 4x2 the light starts flashing and keeps on flasing. The transfercase does disengage but the light keeps flashing.

Can anyone please help with this.

Thanks,
Old 20-02-10, 07:32 PM

one of the switches is faulty on the tranfer box. or most probably the one on the front diff. Your 4x4 is working but when it properly engaged the switch is not sending the signal to the ecu to tell the light to stop flashing.
2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Bridgestone D694 A/T, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...[SIGPIC] Pulling a Caravan sometimes
Old 20-02-10, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morne Snyman View Post
Hi.
My brother's Colt also have a problerm with the 4x4 indicator light. When he engages 4x4 the light goes on, but when he goes back to 4x2 the light starts flashing and keeps on flasing. The transfercase does disengage but the light keeps flashing.
Can anyone please help with this.
Thanks,

That was my problem and turned out to be the 4x4 ECU.Rare case .Otherwise one of the gearbox switches .
Old 22-02-10, 01:57 PM

hi, mine did the same, untill it stopped coming on at all.there are two switches,much like reverse light switches on top of the transfer case.they can both be reached while lying on your back under your vehicle. the agents keep them in stock but are usually +- around R400.00 each which is quite heavy for a switch.i removed mine and had it matched at midas for around R100.00.the only thing to remember is to find out if it is normally open or closed circuit.the wrong one will make the vehicle think it is in 4x4,allowing the difflock to be activated in 4x2.i can check at home if i can find the exact part number if any one would require it.at the dealers you can ask for either a D266 orD263 SWITCH@ R344.48 and R392.71 respectively

paul moult
2002 landrover discovery 2 td5
burnco front bumper
Old 22-02-10, 04:28 PM

Please read http://4wd.blogeasy.com/, it gives a good write-up on how to fault find this problem.

I've had the 4x4 flashing light problem twice. On both occasions, it was the blue solenoid switch in the engine compartment that failed. I bought one set second hand and luckily kept the faulty pair. When the 2nd repair came up, I used the original yellow solenoid to replace the blue one.

On both occasions, the actuator was still "stuck" in 4x4. I had to do a temporary disconnect of the soleniods to allow the actuator to move back to the 2x4 position prior to sorting out the problem. So if you drive around with this problem make sure you temporary disconnect the solenoids and the actuator is in the 2x4 position before resolving the problem.
Old 31-10-11, 09:15 AM

On my 2003 rodeo I have te following problem. In the morning the transfer light is off and everything works as it should. I get on the high way first thing in the morning and drive about 30 km. Once I get of the high way and slow down to stop I can hear and feel the right front hub engaging on its own! It stays engage now matter what I do. Once the bakkie is cooled down the problem is gone again. Any ideas?
Old 31-10-11, 09:25 AM

T/BOX SWITCH REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE

I had strange behaviour of the green 4wd light on the Colt a while ago. After some research I concluded that the most likely culprits are the two switches on the transfer case just behind the shift lever. They send signals to the ECU which engage the light as well as the front diff via vacuum control solenoids and a actuator system.

These switches have short +/- 10cm wires attached to them which go into connectors coming from the vehichle loom. The connectors have a tab on the one side that must be depressed to undo the two halves. The connectors are also attached to a plate which is bolted on top of the transfer case, presumably to prevent them rubbing against the metal surroundings.

I found the easiest way was to remove the entire mounting plate first using a 12mm ring spanner (just one bolt). Then laying on my back under the bakkie, fiddled the tabs until I got the connectors separated. The switches could then be unscrewed using a short 19mm flat spanner, taking care not to get any dirt into the exposed holes when removing them. Also taking care to keep the washers under the switches as the new ones don't come with washers for some reason.

Having removed the switches, I cleaned them and tested them with a multimeter. Both were shot, giving erratic readings and no clear open or short as they are supposed to.

I then obtained two new switches from Mitsu in Tygerberg @ +/-R260ea.
As I said, they did not come with washers, I so retrieved the old washers and fitted them.

Take care not to overtighten these when fitting as they are Alu cased and not very strong. Also take care not to twist the protruding wires too much while screwing them in.

Having fitted the new switches, I decided not to put back the connector plate and instead just put its holding bolt back. I then tidied up the wiring with cable ties and covered the whole lot with a piece of pvc tubing cut open lenghtwise.

The job was quite tricky but doable and took 3-4 hours to complete.
Now the 4x4 system works perfectly

Here's a picture of the units:
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-11-11, 06:04 AM

Op grond van Deon vE se kommentaar oor parte: Mitsubishi Tyger is die BESTE - ek koop meeste parte daar en sal van ander handelaars se kant af s'n toe ry. Stefan by die parte afdeling doen 'n uitstekende job, baie dankie.
Old 01-11-11, 03:09 PM

Good luck on trying to get the swithces. I phoned Mitsubishi and they only have the one switch in stock, the other will take 5 weeks to get from Dubai but you have to pay a deposit. Apparently their purchasing department are not very good at what they do to allow them to run out of stock of this part.

As for Mitspro, please do not even considder taking your vehicle there. I had it there before on several ocatsions and the answer that I got from them the last time was: "we dont know whats wrong, we checked everything".

I am now considdering selling my "Mitsubishi... worst 4x4 by far!"
Old 01-11-11, 06:33 PM

@ willa,

maybe you got a vacuum issue? That whole system works on vacuum, the minute there is vacuum fron the engine, it DISengages the front hub, or is supposed to.

s.
1. Violently opposed
2. Horribly ridiculed
3. Accepted as self evident
Old 26-08-13, 03:25 PM

I have a problem with my Colt,hoping someone could advise me.When I select 4x4 the front differential does not engage neither does the green light on the dashboard luminate.I read somewhere there are 2 x "switches" on the gearbox which possibly does not "switch" Can someone please tell me where these switches are located.
Old 26-08-13, 06:22 PM

Yes both the switches on the gearbox.

They sit right on top and at the back, under lots of gunk and oily dirty stuff

You might need to change the switch on the front diff as well.

See above picture with the type of switches and part numbers.
2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Bridgestone D694 A/T, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...[SIGPIC] Pulling a Caravan sometimes