logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Mitsubishi

4x4Community

Mitsubishi Spirited cars for spirited people!

Old 08-11-09, 06:26 PM

Default Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 v6 Fuel consumption

Hi all Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 v6 drivers

I thought I will post something that one might find interesting.

This weekend I went to Nylstroom and I drove with my 2000 Mitsubishi Pajero Blister Fender LWB 3.5 v6 with all our baggage and 4 people. I have done 250km in total retour with an average of 120km/h and I filled her up before starting our journey.

When we returned I filled her up again to check the fuel consumption and it took 29L of petrol and I did 250km. If you work it out 250km/29L = 8.68 km/L thanks to steves auto clinic and a free flow exhaust system I managed to get 8.6 km/L (open road)

It is better than my Mitsubishi Colt 3.0 v6 D/C Rodeo 4x4 that gave me 5km/L

If there is someone that wants to know: you can get above 8km/L in a Pajero 3.5 v6 Blister Fender ones u have paid a visit to SAC and fitted a free flow exhaust system you also can get 8.6km/L if you let it be tuned by SAC for fuel consumption. It still has over enough power and performance after it has been tuned!

Mitsubishi Pajero Super Select 4WD
Born on the Rally field
Bred with the future's Technology
Fashioned for the enjoyment of life

Best 4X4 by far!!!

Last edited by jako_kruger; 08-11-09 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 06:46 PM

That sounds fantastic.

120km/h average? Moving or overall?
Old 08-11-09, 07:45 PM

Moving and then a few toll gate stops and pull aways (I think 3 toll gates). 120km/h average getting 8.6km/l on highway. Went there and back in total 250 km with 29L of petrol = 8.6km/l

That is fantastic I am very happy with my fuel consumption and I mean 4 people with baggage and the vehicle self weighing 2tons at an average speed of 120km/h (highway) that is not too bad!

Born on the Rally field

Best 4X4 by far!!!

Old 09-11-09, 09:13 AM

Jaco, what did SAC do and what was the cost involved? Based on the other thread, I've sort of made up my mind to go for a free flow purely for consumption reasons although I am worried about the noise. BTW, are you using synth oil? If not, then it stands to reason that one might be able to go for a 9er with an oil change based on the experience of some other members. Fyi, I get about 5.4 around town stock standard with Delo 400 and no other mods.
Old 09-11-09, 11:45 AM

Hi dehacked

Sorry I must add something that I forgot to include in the post. SAC also did the following:
  • Sports Flow Performance Air Filter
  • Uni-Chip
  • Wild Cat Performance Branches
  • Custom Flow Stainless Steel Exhaust System
  • Gas Flowing and Porting of Cylinder Heads
My Pajero has a full stage 1 and 2 conversion

gas flowed head and all the above makes a huge difference in fuel consumption. You will have to Contact SAC for a quotation, because these mods were done a long time ago. The prices slightly increased by now. You can talk to Johan at Midrand Branch on 011 466 2050

Regards
Jako

Born on the Rally field

Best 4X4 by far!!!

Last edited by jako_kruger; 09-11-09 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-11-09, 06:34 PM

HI Jaco

If you don't mind me asking what is the cost of the conversion at SAC?
Old 09-11-09, 07:21 PM

Hi

Vaja

I am not sure what it will cost you now, because the conversion on my car was done in the last 3 years. I think the prices slightly increased by now. You can ask for Johan at Midrand Branch on 011 466 2050

And get a quote for all the mods that were done on my car.

I think gas flow head will cost R13500 and the chip about R3500 I am not sure what the costs were on the other mods like the branches, SS exhaust ect it was done a long time ago and the prices is not the same anymore. Phone Johan and ask him for a new quote.

Regards
Jako

Born on the Rally field

Best 4X4 by far!!!

Old 09-11-09, 09:27 PM

CRD als does these conversions. The Stage-1 on my C/K 3.5 was R8500 - that includes free-flow, air-filter and chip. Mine has an autobox and with this conversion I also got 8.7 km/l on a 120 km/h highway trip to the Free State and back. In town to work and back it has now settled on 7.1 km/l. Besides the fuel consumption, these conversions also make the engine much more responsive. Mine gained about 20-25% torque at 2,000 RPM!
Old 09-11-09, 09:37 PM

Hi Benjamin

Yes the engine is much more responsive and it has a nice sound as well mine is also around 7 to 7.5 KM/L in town depending on how much I push the acceleration pedal. I must say that my car has a very nice engine sound coming from the stainless steel free flow exhaust system. It is not one of those cars with " beat but F****L SPEED" this pajero has the beat and the speed thanks to the mods that was done it goes like a beast.

Regards
Jako

Born on the Rally field

Best 4X4 by far!!!

Old 09-11-09, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
CRD als does these conversions. The Stage-1 on my C/K 3.5 was R8500 - that includes free-flow, air-filter and chip. Mine has an autobox and with this conversion I also got 8.7 km/l on a 120 km/h highway trip to the Free State and back. In town to work and back it has now settled on 7.1 km/l. Besides the fuel consumption, these conversions also make the engine much more responsive. Mine gained about 20-25% torque at 2,000 RPM!
So you get 0.4 to 0.5 km/l better than I do at a cost of R8500... at current fuel prices you are looking at doing around 90000km before you get your money back!

Improved fuel consumption claims as a justification for these conversions is misguided IMO..

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Last edited by SimonB; 09-11-09 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-11-09, 10:32 PM
Administrator

True words Simon, I also "tried" to convince myself I would get improved fuel consumption with all those performance enhancing goodies from Mopar.....

DASHCAMS NOW AVAILABLE IN THE ONLINE SHOP!
R1845.00 including courier delivery and Micro32gig SD card.
EFT and Credit Card payments available.
Click here to purchase.

Old 10-11-09, 07:51 AM

Simon,

Quote:
Improved fuel consumption claims as a justification for these conversions is misguided IMO
Nobody's trying to justify anything in terms of cost benefit. To me the conversion is about making the engine become alive. The big difference comes in when you tow or go off-road.
Old 10-11-09, 08:37 AM

My interest was sparked because of cost benefit in terms of reduced fuel consumption. I'm planning to do the branches and free flow conversion. I'll post consumption figures before and after.
Old 10-11-09, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jako_kruger View Post
Hi

Vaja

I am not sure what it will cost you now, because the conversion on my car was done in the last 3 years. I think the prices slightly increased by now. You can ask for Johan at Midrand Branch on 011 466 2050

And get a quote for all the mods that were done on my car.

I think gas flow head will cost R13500 and the chip about R3500 I am not sure what the costs were on the other mods like the branches, SS exhaust ect it was done a long time ago and the prices is not the same anymore. Phone Johan and ask him for a new quote.

Regards
Jako

Thanks Jaco

I'll think I'll pass on this one, I'd rather keep the cash to spend on petrol
Old 10-11-09, 11:57 AM

It's a pleasure Vaja

In the long term you will eventually save on fuel. But I understand that you rather want to spend the money on fuel. You can get allot of fuel for the price all those mods costed on my Pajero and you can put up a few thousand kilometers with the money you saved on fuel. But as I've said in the long term you will eventually save but it will take quite a time to get to that point where you save. My mods were done quite a long time ago and I am at that point where I am smiling and saving on fuel with my 8.6km/l

Enjoy your excellent piece of machinery! I know I am enjoying it.

Regards
Jako

Born on the Rally field

Best 4X4 by far!!!

Old 12-11-09, 08:30 AM

Default 3.5 V6 Fuel Consumption/SAC

Hi I'm glad there's guys who can see the fuel consumption benefit of such a conversion, but I need to add that in my experience with SAC Midrand on a 2.6 VW Bus they charged me R11K for a 30% power increase only evident on their dyno - my bus could not outrun a bog standard 2.6. Consumption also stayed identical.

I'm contemplating a CRD conversion on my Colt 2.8, but due to the above I'm very sceptical. After requesting some details/guarantees from Arnold via e-mail they do not want to respond to me anymore either, which to me indicates not all conversions are that successful (or not all conversion customers are that happy...)
Old 12-11-09, 08:55 AM

Sac is known to fiddle with ambient correction's .
Look at the example attached. Noting was changed on the car just the ambient
correction factors .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno scam.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	45701  
Old 12-11-09, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobus View Post
Hi I'm glad there's guys who can see the fuel consumption benefit of such a conversion, but I need to add that in my experience with SAC Midrand on a 2.6 VW Bus they charged me R11K for a 30% power increase only evident on their dyno - my bus could not outrun a bog standard 2.6. Consumption also stayed identical.

I'm contemplating a CRD conversion on my Colt 2.8, but due to the above I'm very sceptical. After requesting some details/guarantees from Arnold via e-mail they do not want to respond to me anymore either, which to me indicates not all conversions are that successful (or not all conversion customers are that happy...)
The CRD conversion on the 2.8 is brilliant and it helps to keep the EGTís down which is always a good thing.
Even if you do not gain performance you gain peace of mind.
Old 29-11-09, 11:04 PM

Default 1998 Blister 3.5L LWB Automatic Excessive Fuel Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
So you get 0.4 to 0.5 km/l better than I do at a cost of R8500... at current fuel prices you are looking at doing around 90000km before you get your money back!

Improved fuel consumption claims as a justification for these conversions is misguided IMO..
I've got my 1998 Blister Automatic a week now. Did my first consumption check after a week of town driving and got one "#&*@se" shock. I got 4km per litre. The vehicle (218500km) was serviced prior to delivery.

My driving style is relatively sedate whereby in town around 60km/h and freeway 120km/h

Please recommend which processes/checks I should consider to get nearer to the quoted 7km/litre? I am definitely not considering the SAC conversion

Regards

Old 30-11-09, 08:45 AM

I filled up yesterday from from about 350km's of town driving. Consumption was about 6km/l.

1. Tyre pressures
2. Stay below 2500rpm, rather wind down your window to hear that freeflow.
Old 30-11-09, 10:23 AM

I also found that the consumption goes downhill as soon as you go above 3000rpm.
Best speed to travel at is a true 110km/h (GPS not speedo)

Old 30-11-09, 04:06 PM

Default Pajero 3.5L Fuel Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehacked View Post
I filled up yesterday from from about 350km's of town driving. Consumption was about 6km/l.

1. Tyre pressures
2. Stay below 2500rpm, rather wind down your window to hear that freeflow.
Hi

My tyres are at 2 bar. What is yours? Does the MT vs. AT increase fuel consumption?

Old 30-11-09, 04:22 PM

2.2 all round. My tyres are 31's so that also helps a bit. In theory MT should give better consumption than AT. Dunno if anyone can prove that statistically. I have AT's btw. If you have a roofrack that can cost up to 1km/l at speed...
Old 30-11-09, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffees4U View Post
Please recommend which processes/checks I should consider to get nearer to the quoted 7km/litre? I am definitely not considering the SAC conversion
It might be worth your while to have the injectors checked and serviced. Took mine to Bosch guys in Pta. I think the cost was about R1600 for the set, and you get it back same day. 5 out of my 6 recorded "poor" spray and flow rate before, and all 6 were medium after.
Old 30-11-09, 07:54 PM

How did that influence your consumption Benjamin?
Old 11-08-10, 05:53 PM

hi jako

ek het die swb 3.5 v6,, hy is standard en ek kry so 7km/l,, sal dit die moeite werd wees om so conversion te laat doen,, ek doen 140km/h op highway,, ek wil nou 31/10.5/15 bf all terrain tyres opsit en 'n ome suspension,, dit gaan seker my petrol verbruik laat styg ??
Old 11-08-10, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan The Man View Post
ek het die swb 3.5 v6,, hy is standard en ek kry so 7km/l,, sal dit die moeite werd wees om so conversion te laat doen,, ek doen 140km/h op highway
Change the lead foot... more worth your while

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 11-08-10, 09:15 PM

Sorry guys, but one tank is nowhere near enough to draw meaningful conclusions on fuel consumption ... be they good (trip to Nylstroom) or bad (a week around town) ... no two pumps kick off at exactly the same time (nor are they perfectly calibrated), no two pump operators fill a tank exactly the same way, no two successive tanks are filled at exactly the same ambient temperature, there forecourt may or may not be level, there may or may not be air bubbles in the system, etc.

To draw meaningful conclusions you need a representative sample ... the statisticians typically mention 15 as a magical number for the number of data points for a reasonable level of confidence in experimental outcomes. The downside is you may not know your true consumption for a good few months, the upside is you have at least almost 10 000km to enjoy your wagon while you find out

Francois de Villiers
2001 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6 Manual - proud 3rd time Mitsu owner (pvs 1991 Gen 1 Pajero LWB 2.6, 1999 Colt Rodeo V6 Auto)

Old 12-08-10, 09:10 AM

I have a 3500 GLS manual. I log every time I put petrol in and over the last 4000kms I have averaged 12.2l / 100km mixed city & highway driving (more town). I don't drive like a granny but I don't race either. I travel at 100kmh true speed on the highway.
Old 12-08-10, 10:19 PM

Petrol vir 99 Blister "Unleaded" of LRP?
Old 12-08-10, 10:41 PM

For what its worth .. my opinion and experience.... stay away from the SAC's if your car has a warranty ...I had to fit a new engine in my Colt diesel.... because of the fiddling with the diesel pump .. but it went nicely until it popped some months later ... and try to proof it someone's fault ...hehehehehe
Old 17-08-10, 02:33 PM

Where in JHB can I take my Pajero for a decent Dyno Tune? Had the heads done a few weeks ago and now it is using an extra 2 litres of fuel per 100km. Thanks.
Old 11-07-12, 09:53 AM

Default Tuning 3500 DOHC in Joburg?

Hi,

did you find a shop in Joburg? Just bought a 1997 3500 DOHC auto, looking at doing something - if i only did free flow, does that just make good sound or also help with consumption?

Cheers
Old 12-07-12, 08:17 AM

Sjoe...talk about 'necroing' a thread

I paid R1950 for a 57mm freeflow for out 3.0 SWB (1997) at Noise Boys in Centurion. That should give you an indication. Consumption wasn't much better but response was. They're just heavy on fuel motors, but oh that roar is just so nice! If you wanted fuel economy, the diesel motor would have been a better choice

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

2 x Mitsubishi's, 1 x Lexus (ok it's just a fancy Toyota), 1 x Ford...I stay out of the brand arguements

Old 12-07-12, 12:14 PM

if mods are done properly they can cause less fuel consumption. But then you must not alter your driving style with the new found power. Also you need to make sure it whats you want and do you travel enough to justify the cost of the mods VS fuel saving.

after the mods to my 3L pajero depending on how I drive I get up to 150km on a tank more than before the mods. I must add however I did not do the mods for less fuel consumption, but for more power, the extra km are a welcome bonus though.

Walter
Namboyz-Always in LowRange
Old 15-07-12, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. Well, better response would probably mean fewer "pedal to the metal" to get it moving... And better sound is always good.

Well, got this one used and it came fully equipped, so i had to compromise.

I am curious what the mileage will be once i tow my conquest....

From what i understand from the other threads, i can put 95 unleaded in the tank, right?
Old 15-07-12, 06:17 PM

definately 95 unleaded.

Walter
Namboyz-Always in LowRange
Old 16-07-12, 12:01 PM

My Pajero is stock standard with standard size tyres and I get 7.6km/l on the open road @ 140km/h , in town I get between 5.5 to 6.5km/l depending on the lead foot

Old 03-06-13, 03:40 PM

kan iemand my dalk vertel as my throttel body baie vuil is of dit 'n verskil aan my brandstof verbryk kan maak,ek het gesien toe ek my plugs vervang hy het 'n swart aanpaksel soos 'n dieselengin.Ek ry 'n 3.5 V6 pajero.En hoe kan ek hom skoon maak as dit sal help.
Dankie.
Old 03-06-13, 05:38 PM

Default 3.5 V6 engine

Speedo accuracy comes into play as well as tyre sizes when calculating consumption. You cannot compare one vehicle's performance against another unless all factors are taken into consideration. I found using gps distance of 8 fills and making sure my first and last fill is at the same pump gives me the best result. We live in a forested area with bad dirt roads and 50% tar driving I am getting just over 6.1 kms per litre whereas when I do long trips on open road I get between 6.9 and 7.1. I set autocruise on 120 against gps. (Std 3.5 V6 Hyundai Terracan with 245/.70/16 All terrains) If I do 20000kms per year and use 3030 litres at R12.90 ave R39100 and I saved 13% from conversion then I would save R5100 per year. It would take me 3 / 4 years to break even?? Enjoying the sound and performance does not cut because when you have better performance you use it and your consumption goes for a ball of chalk. Also consider maintenance risks.
If you have the spare cash go for it and enjoy?

Be determined to live the unlived
life within you.

Old 04-06-13, 08:31 AM

My Pajero is my "only" car and the RunX is SWAMBO's "only" car.

It means the 3.8V6 takes me to work every morning, it goes to the shops in the afternoon, it goes everywhere that I need to go. I find the day to day running is worse than 16L/100km simply due to short distance town driving.

On the open road, but with hills and stuff (like a run from Barberton to Gauteng) I'll get 13L/100 cruising at the speed limit.

On a recent holiday trip (if I exclude the hills between Barberton and Gauteng and the off-road driving in Damaraland) the average dropped to 12L/100km. The whole trip avaraged 12.5L/100km.

I have no doubt that the consumption on a heavy car with a big V6 motor depends on what you use it for. If I can stay away from the short day to day trips, then my fuelly will look plenty better.

But what petrol head want's to leave a car like a V6 Pajero standing, to drive a RunX around?

Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 04-06-13 at 08:34 AM.
Old 29-07-13, 09:28 AM

Ek het my Unichip uit my Pajero 3.5 uit gehaal nou is my kar baie ligter op petrol,die krag is klein bietjie minder maar wie kla nou as die petrol verbruik minder is, my brandstof verbruik is op van 6km/l na 7.5km/l.
Old 29-07-13, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrenell View Post
Ek het my Unichip uit my Pajero 3.5 uit gehaal nou is my kar baie ligter op petrol,die krag is klein bietjie minder maar wie kla nou as die petrol verbruik minder is, my brandstof verbruik is op van 6km/l na 7.5km/l.
Old 29-07-13, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roelfleroux View Post

but what petrol head want's to leave a car like a v6 pajero standing, to drive a runx around;d?
;d;d;d;d
Old 19-09-14, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencilliers View Post
My Pajero is stock standard with standard size tyres and I get 7.6km/l on the open road @ 140km/h , in town I get between 5.5 to 6.5km/l depending on the lead foot
Hi LenCilliers. Is/was your Pajero Manual or Auto?

Thanks

Old 22-09-14, 08:58 AM

Personally I think most of the improvement comes from the tuned unichip, not the freeflow & other extras. By optimising the fuelling & timing for our conditions you can get the best efficiency...
I take my cars to unichip on john vorster centurion , but I know other places also do good work.