logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Mitsubishi

4x4Community

Mitsubishi Spirited cars for spirited people!

Old 10-08-09, 09:56 AM

Question Diesel Torque chip

Hi Guys.

Has anyone tried Diesel Torques power box? What is your experience with? Any other chip/remap I should look at?
I am toying with the idea to get it for a 2006 3.2DiD Pajero.

Thanks!
Old 17-08-09, 09:52 AM

No one?
Old 17-08-09, 10:10 AM

I also want to know, I have a 2005 3.2 DID Pajero
Old 17-08-09, 09:54 PM
potkon

Default potkon

I have a 2.5 DID Triton. I tried the diesel torque box on my Triton, but was not very happy with it, as it could not produce the advertised gain in power. We tried 3 different boxes while the vehicle was on the Dino, but to no avail.
These boxes are all preset before installation and very easy to plug in with three power settings and cheaper than the Dastec plug.You buy the plug and then you have to arrange a Dino at your cost.My personal opinion is that this plug can cause damage to your vehicle as it probably only adjusts the fuel.
Gough Cooper in Brackenfell installed a Dastec plug to the Trition and the engine was tuned to optimal power and Torque .I have been using this for the past two years and it is still working 100%.Power/Torque on the wheels before plug 102.9kw@3671 rpm/332Nm@2280rpm( Dealer gives 100kw/314Nm mine was more).After plug was installed 109.1kw@4562rpm/375Nm@2178rpm.The gain in power has deffinitely helped with fuel consumption about 12km/l @ 100km.I can recommend this plug. Hope this helps you.
Old 17-08-09, 10:01 PM

Is it worth the expense for 7KW?
Old 18-08-09, 08:17 AM

Don't know how true it is but I heard that all the spirit of Africa 2.5 tritons were fitted with diesel torque chips.

Old 19-08-09, 09:17 AM
potkon

Default potkon

Yes it was worth it .
I gained 9kw,61Nm torque and at least 2km/l better consumtion.
The torque is where the big difference comes in .
Old 19-08-09, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potkon View Post
I have a 2.5 DID Triton. I tried the diesel torque box on my Triton, but was not very happy with it, as it could not produce the advertised gain in power. We tried 3 different boxes while the vehicle was on the Dino, but to no avail.
These boxes are all preset before installation and very easy to plug in with three power settings and cheaper than the Dastec plug.You buy the plug and then you have to arrange a Dino at your cost.My personal opinion is that this plug can cause damage to your vehicle as it probably only adjusts the fuel.
Gough Cooper in Brackenfell installed a Dastec plug to the Trition and the engine was tuned to optimal power and Torque .I have been using this for the past two years and it is still working 100%.Power/Torque on the wheels before plug 102.9kw@3671 rpm/332Nm@2280rpm( Dealer gives 100kw/314Nm mine was more).After plug was installed 109.1kw@4562rpm/375Nm@2178rpm.The gain in power has deffinitely helped with fuel consumption about 12km/l @ 100km.I can recommend this plug. Hope this helps you.

109.1kw on the wheels Thats a lot!!! sure it was not correct to flywheel figures ?
If not corrected then you have a real diesel monster!!

Wheels kw
Hardbody 3.3 makes 78kw
Navara V6 141Kw
Toyota Hilux V6 105kw

Last edited by JGoosen; 19-08-09 at 10:51 AM.
Old 29-09-09, 10:01 PM
Shaun DT

Hi guys
In response to Clyde’s earlier comment, yes it is true that the 2.5 Tritons and a number of 3.2 Pajero’s on the Spirit Of Africa Tour all had the POWERBOX’s installed, a total of 22 vehicles.
And in response to Potkon, the product that was tried on your Triton at the Dyno is no longer supported by Germany and has been replaced by a newer technology product and these were the ones that were trialed at the Spirit Of Africa.
The Diesel Torque product has been voted best in market for these vehicles.
Old 30-09-09, 05:57 AM
User Banned

Does the chip work also with the 3.2 DiD engine from 2004 and before ? I was told, the generations prior to the common rail engine don't work with a chip That's why I don't have one in my Pajero....only in the BMW.
Old 30-09-09, 06:56 AM

I had a Diesel Torque chip installed on my 2.5DID Triton 2 weeks ago. I am happy with the gains. 8kw and 25nm gain also eliminated the turbo lag the the 2.5 has.

Old 30-09-09, 06:59 AM
4ePajero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
I had a Diesel Torque chip installed on my 2.5DID Triton 2 weeks ago. I am happy with the gains. 8kw and 25nm gain also eliminated the turbo lag the the 2.5 has.
Who are the local agents for Diesel Torque Chips?
Old 30-09-09, 06:59 PM

I had mine installed by Allan Black - Bosch service centre. He also did the Spirit of Africa Tritons, but the main agent is based in the western cape you can contact them on 021- 556 6463.

Old 27-02-10, 02:43 PM

Default Info

Talk about digging up old posts...

I bought myself a 2.5 Triton...

Has there been any new developments regarding the chipping of these vehicles ??

What chip would be the best route to go for ??

Thank you
Old 02-03-10, 08:04 AM

I am also tinking about this lately, any news from anybody?
What is the price for these chips?

Johan (ZS1JV)
2007 JK, CRD (SOLD)

Old 02-03-10, 08:26 AM

Mmm sounds interesting....what product should I look at for the 3.2 Pajero Sport?
Old 21-03-10, 09:38 AM

http://www.dastekpower.com/STATS/Mit...ance-chips.htm
http://www.dastekpower.com/STATS/Mit...Triton-3.2.htm
http://www.steves.co.za/Plug_Play/Pl...itsubishi.html

Last edited by William62; 21-03-10 at 09:44 AM.
Old 21-03-10, 06:45 PM

Ek het Diesel Torque op my 2.5 Triton en 2008 Pajero en is heel teverede. 30nm meer torque op altwee en ek dink 11kw meer. Die groot verskil is die torque. Jy voel dit!

Old 25-03-10, 11:13 AM
Commercial Member: Adventure 4x4 Academy

I fitted the Diesel Torque chip 2 years ago to my 2.5 and have only had an issue with my 2 way radio transmissions sending the vehicle into limp mode. Craig from Diesel torque remapped a chip specifically to cancel this out and since then no problems. You can look at the attached sheet for the figures.

Note the chip is the same for the 2.5 and 3.2 Triton as well ass the 3.2 Pajero.

The chip has 4 base settings and 7 fine tune settings per base i.e. 28 possible tuning positions. My preference is base setting 3 with +1.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Triton25DiD DieselTorque.pdf (92.7 KB, 662 views)

Old 25-03-10, 04:50 PM

How do you change the settings?

Old 26-03-10, 03:08 PM

Its jumpers similar to what you find on a computer mother board. 2 on the left for base settings and 7 positions on the right with the centre one being zero and each left a minus or each right a plus position
-3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DTE_powerbox.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	55501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jumper_on_motherboard.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	55502  

Last edited by Ralph_Clark; 26-03-10 at 03:11 PM.
Old 29-03-10, 07:01 AM
User Banned

Default Chip

I have fitted the Sportsvans Race Chip and it made a real difference! About 1.5 ltr less fuel but torque when i tow my boat. I can recomend it!
Old 29-03-10, 02:06 PM

Clyde mentioned that his was fitted by Allan Black. They are the only Mitsubishi S.A. Approved service provider for chips, pumps and injector repairs especialy if your vehicle is still under warranty or maintenance plan. You can contact Bradley 0118153732 .

ZSL580

Old 29-03-10, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGAIR200 View Post
Clyde mentioned that his was fitted by Allan Black. They are the only Mitsubishi S.A. Approved service provider for chips, pumps and injector repairs especialy if your vehicle is still under warranty or maintenance plan. You can contact Bradley 0118153732 .
Would this mean that all the Bosch centres are approved or just Alan Black in Springs?
Old 30-03-10, 11:42 AM

I had a dasteq chip installed on my 3.2 pajero in Nov 09. Huge improvement in overall performance but no impovement in fuel consumption. Kosie Swanepoel in Cape Town did mine.
Old 12-04-10, 08:22 PM

Ralph,

1. What did these setting do to your fuel consumption?
2. Somewhere on this forum it was mentioned (I think it might be you) that the new 2.5 Triton built in Australia produces 131kW (31% more!!) - how did they manage that? Same engine - different chip?

Thanks for your informative contributions about the Triton!
Old 12-04-10, 08:27 PM

Pajeromad,

I have exactly the same experience with my 3.2DiD - excellent improvement of performance, but none on consumption. Had it re-checked a couple of times, but no major change.
Does anyone have any advice on this? (Dastech Chip)

Thanks
Old 13-04-10, 02:05 PM

Question

What I don't understand is why do these vehicles have to be chiped in the first place to increase performance marginally . As I understabd it, the 2.5 Di-D Triton's computer box has a "learning" capability that allows it to continually adjust fuel quantity and timing based on prevailing conditions (Air mass flow, combustion, engine load etc) .

Theoretically then one should be able to re-set the turbo for slightly more boost (within safety limits) which would increase the air mass flow, and have the electronics 'take care' of the rest of the settings in a manner that wont drive the engine outside of the manufacture's tolerences . I mean why add more fuel with a chip when the air stays the same? Surely that just results in more diesel smock as you upset the air/fuel balance.

Wouldn't that be a better approach, or are they lying to us when they speak of a 'leaning' function on the computer box?

- 1UZ-FE 4sp Auto!

Last edited by Lusenga; 13-04-10 at 02:12 PM. Reason: omision
Old 13-04-10, 02:26 PM
aka Vrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusenga View Post
What I don't understand is why do these vehicles have to be chiped in the first place to increase performance marginally . As I understabd it, the 2.5 Di-D Triton's computer box has a "learning" capability that allows it to continually adjust fuel quantity and timing based on prevailing conditions (Air mass flow, combustion, engine load etc) .

Theoretically then one should be able to re-set the turbo for slightly more boost (within safety limits) which would increase the air mass flow, and have the electronics 'take care' of the rest of the settings in a manner that wont drive the engine outside of the manufacture's tolerences . I mean why add more fuel with a chip when the air stays the same? Surely that just results in more diesel smock as you upset the air/fuel balance.

Wouldn't that be a better approach, or are they lying to us when they speak of a 'leaning' function on the computer box?

Going to call a spade a spade and say, this is all NONSENSE....

1) You will NEVER get a better fuel consumption just by a chip UNLESS, the engine was already running "badly". Chip increase flow of fuel to the rail/engine, that is it...keeping it simple not mentioning timing..etc
2)You can NEVER have more power with less fuel consumption.
3)Car engines are catching up to Superbike engines, this "self adjusting" is so small, it is just to keep the engine at optimum performance in change in say altitude within reason or load...etc...some guys even thought hell, I can do the head, bigger bore maybe and the ECU will configure to the new engine..um no.
4)In short all a chip does is interrupt the signals coming from the engine to the ECU and out the ECU to the engine...that is a plug in system...
5)The manufacturer build in a safety margins of around 20% more air than required which is not used, go beyong that and the "smoke factor comes" into play...THIS is what the chip "steals"...
6)Because of this extra fuel and the using of ALL the air avaliable you get more power, fit a larger cooler will help increase the density of the air and thus increase the power again....but there are limits.....
7)Also, this is why it's recommended that you fit an EGT with a warning function to inform you if you are running to hot as a rechipped diesel engine WILL run HOTTER.....period.

Now that was a mouth full.....

Last edited by Scrat; 13-04-10 at 02:28 PM.
Old 13-04-10, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat View Post

Now that was a mouth full.....
Mouthful...nah, wouldn't say so Scrat. My post was a 'poke it and see' sort of aproach. Raise a technical argument that people seem to shy away from and see what proper technical arguments come of of it, best way to learn IMHO.

People have been going crazy over chipping for a while now, but the technical basis of that is unclear since most tuning houses rush to sell you the chip . So they tell you anything to make you commit your cash. They wont even tell you accuratly what running aspects of the engine will be altered by the chip, i.e timing, fuel amount, boost etc (where possible).

Your response is very informative and definitly goes where I want to go as regards diesel tuning, however, that takes us away from the intensions of the original thread so I will end here.

- 1UZ-FE 4sp Auto!

Old 13-04-10, 04:26 PM

Ralph maybe you can give me some advise seeing as you have some experience with the chipping of the SOA Tritons.

So far almost everybody that I've read about felt some form of improvement after fitting chips, be it the Diesel Torgue one or the Dastek Unichip or whatever.

Amost everyone experienced some gain in power and some even claim a drop in fuel consumption.

I fitted a chip about 3 weeks ago to my 2.5 Triton and I've noticed no difference whatsoever.

Absolutely bloody nothing. In one of the other threads I mention that it even seemed to me that my vehicle is a bit heavier on juice after fitment of the chip.

Can it be possible that the establishment stuffed up the programming of the chip, or fitted it wrong or the chip is a dud? This is a highly reputable company and therefore I'll withhold the name for now untill I know more.

I never expected the 2.5 to suddently propel like a rocket, but come on, I had to feel something

What botherd me initially is the printout I received afterwards. The dynometer readings claimed the kw to be 84.4 before fitment, and 93.5 there after. This I can maybe accept if it is rear wheel figures allthough I do not know how they do the conversion from rear wheel to fly wheel.

But when the graph showed my newtons to be 373 (more that the 3.0 D-4D Hilux) before and 429 after I knew something was amiss.

When I showed this to the man in charge and stated that this couldn't be as these figure exceeds the manufacturers claims, he looked surprised. He was even more surprised to learn that my Triton was 2.5 and not a 3.2 after the fitment.

So whilst he was under such impression, he either didn't realise that the after figures were actually pretty pathetic then for a 3.2 or he thought I was a total layman or moron.

As I said, this is a highly reputable establishment and they allready offered to take a look at what may be wrong when I get to Gauteng again, but the whole experience left me very dissapointed so far as those chips do not come cheap.

Any advise or additional info to set my mind at ease would be welcomed.

Please all you knowledgeable guys.

Current : Triton 2.5 D/C aka Telkom
ZS6NJS
Orra Call Sign : H07

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Old 14-04-10, 12:45 AM

Nico please keep us posted on the developments.
Old 14-04-10, 08:42 AM

Barman, I' will definitely keep everyone posted. But Scrat sound like he knows a thing or two judging by his post.

Scrat please, I need to arm myself with information when I get to the chip guys.

That 20% safety margin that you spoke about. Does the vehicle manufacturers see to that, and the chip utulize that? Please won't you give us a detailed break down of what happens as best you can?

ZS6NJS

Old 15-04-10, 07:08 PM

Default Powerbox Chip

One thing that I can say is that having driven Ralph's Triton with and without the chip is that on the 2.5 it is a totally different vehicle. It pulls below 2000 rpm, where without the chip there is buggerall action. Driving normally without using the additional power, he had a remarkable improvement in fuel consumption, some 3 to 4 km/l.

The only place where the std 3.0 D4D has the edge is on long uphills, more torque, but basically with the chip in the Triton, they run neck and neck.

Old 15-04-10, 08:37 PM

Spoke to Koos Swanepoel and he quoted me R5500 for plug and play chip but only R2750 if he wires it in without the vehicle specific plug. All quotes include dyno tuning and vehicle specific mapping.

Triton 3.2 goes from 118kw, 343nm to 130kw, 380nm on average. It is very vehicle specific and more or less gains are made on different vehicles.

If you are unsure whether to go Dastec or Diesel Torque phone them and get their opinion.

On the question of EGT monitors - I would install one whether I was chipping the vehicle or not. R990 + 1-2 hours labour at R250 per hour for fitment at Motorcade. Worth every cent.

Alu-Cab, Burnco Bumper & Rock sliders, Charlie Brown bash plate, ARB mounted compressor, GME 29Mhz, Dastec Unichip (131kw/466nm), Front Runner 72l aux fuel tank, National Luna 52l & dual battery, Chuma Drawer System+100l s/s water tank, OME front coils, OME shocks, Iron Man rear leaf, Cooper STT 265/76R16, Nuvi500

Old 16-04-10, 07:25 AM

Brent Clark, that just my point. There was absolutely zero difference when my chip was installed. I'm very dissapointed! I really hope my chip (dastek unichip) was a factory dud or that the guys screwed up the programming.

Hopefully my affairs will be such that I can get the vehicle back to them somewhere in May.

ZS6NJS

Old 16-04-10, 09:23 AM

It is generally accepted that the main competitors are Dastek and Diesel Torque. We also know that Mitsubishi accepts the Diesel Torque chip (conditionaly; chip must be fitted by an approved dealer). A number of people here in the forum have used or are using these chips. I like the fact that Brent has driven the 2.5 Di-D with and without the chip and reported very positively, it gets us one step closer.

Now to be fair to both chips someone needs to sample the Tritons (2.5 or 3.2) fitted with the different chips? Seems to me that is the only way we will get past this. We cannot go by the figures they claim because out on the road the cars just don't feel anywhere near the claims. The best way is a comparative test and it doesn't even need to be a proper scientific approach. Any one with a chance to get his hands on both, then let us know? Any members running the Dastek chip on their Tritons (...and happy with the install) willing to put their hands up?

I used to own the 3.0 D-4D with the Dastek chip and I can tell you it was a beast, but the consumption was very bad. Trouble is that info is useless for the purpose of this discusion since the application was non Mitsubishi.

Thanks Brent and Raph for the effort.

- 1UZ-FE 4sp Auto!

Old 16-04-10, 10:59 AM

In terms of what scrat has mention with regard to fuel consumption I can fuly understand where he is coming from. The tendancy of most fitment centres/tuners is to setup the chip for optimal power delivery and not fuel consumption. One of the reasons I chose the DieselTorque chip was the ability to make adjustments to the mapping myself so when I had the vehcile on the dyno the engineer ran the various setting and based on the runs I now have 2 prefferd settings, one for general driving that is biased towards fuel consumption and one for outright performance for off-road work.

I don't entirely agree that you will never get a fuel saving as this premises the fact that the engine was fine tuned at factory installation. My vehicle was made in Thailand and the simple fact is that the environmentally we are different - altitude, diesel quality, periods spent at high speed etc. To achieve the best fuel consumption the timing and flow of the diesel has to be optimized and a chip does exactly that. This is how the vehicle on economy runs are able to achieve such remarkable results versus a standard machine because they are specifically tuned for economy rather than performance or durability.

As Brent stated in my economy setting I do achieve improved consumption and not necessarily much better pull.

Old 16-04-10, 12:20 PM

Ralph, I would love for you to drive my vehicle and compare with your own. Any chances that you sometimes travel a bit more North?

ZS6NJS

Old 16-04-10, 12:56 PM
aka Vrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Clark View Post
In terms of what scrat has mention with regard to fuel consumption I can fuly understand where he is coming from. The tendancy of most fitment centres/tuners is to setup the chip for optimal power delivery and not fuel consumption. One of the reasons I chose the DieselTorque chip was the ability to make adjustments to the mapping myself so when I had the vehcile on the dyno the engineer ran the various setting and based on the runs I now have 2 prefferd settings, one for general driving that is biased towards fuel consumption and one for outright performance for off-road work.

I don't entirely agree that you will never get a fuel saving as this premises the fact that the engine was fine tuned at factory installation. My vehicle was made in Thailand and the simple fact is that the environmentally we are different - altitude, diesel quality, periods spent at high speed etc. To achieve the best fuel consumption the timing and flow of the diesel has to be optimized and a chip does exactly that. This is how the vehicle on economy runs are able to achieve such remarkable results versus a standard machine because they are specifically tuned for economy rather than performance or durability.

As Brent stated in my economy setting I do achieve improved consumption and not necessarily much better pull.

Yep true that is why I always say chips do work but the results vary from vehicle to vehicle and when guys start to fit bigger tyres, chips and then claim they get better consumption...mm..so there are sooo many factors, heell fit an intergrated bumper and see what happens, fit a canopy...roof rack...all of these influences consumption...even your lead foot.... The manufacturers mass produce every part from the block to the crank and there are tollerances, that is a given so ones man gain of 20% another 10%, in the end, they will still both sit with an almost identical total power output...

The chip craze has taken off because people want to be different and feel they can do better than the original manufacturers...nothing wrong with that however, claims are becoming more and more crazy as the market is FLOODED with these so called "Dyno/Performace experts". They open an engine, play around", fit a chip, screw with the dyno and BAM, I have a 500nm Navara 150kw..like in Leasure Wheels, what a load of CROCK....But read ALL the info and you see, that "Beast" is making the same as ANY other 2.5TDI Navara with a chip...not more thana 20% gain... And then they have the balls to tell us, it pulls well but, you need to ride the clutch..duh...oh and off-roading, excellent, crap......gearing will be all out and drivetrain won't last 10min in the bush let alone the clutch....

So in short....if you want more power and want the chip, go for it...but then do it properly, do the cooler and exhaust as well...unless you lucky and you have a newer TDI which come stock with 63mm pipes......and get info on the tuner..like you would a doctor and thinking about it, you ALWAYS ref a specialist so why not your tuner...??

But as Tritontitan said, FIT AN EGT because TDI engine rebuilds as we know are expensive and if the Manufacturer could make the power you are making with the chip then why don't they...mm...cause they KNOW, it will break and they must take ALL types of drivers into account...

In all the years I have NEVER had a TDI go on me nor my race bikes from my Duke 996SPS, heads done, Chip..etc, Yamaha R1 Heads,intake, exhaust...chip..etc...so chips work, as long as you understand what it does and how far you can go.......you'll be fine.

In your case, I think you either had a tosser of a tuner OR, you right, the chip is a dud but then the tuner should have seen that on the dyno on the first run....as for his claims of more power than a 3.2 out of your 2.5, walk away because I don't know about you but, I can't see through "mud". Do it right before your R5500 chip becomes a R30 000 rebuild.

Last edited by Scrat; 16-04-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 16-04-10, 01:16 PM

Well said Scrat

Old 16-04-10, 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=Scrat;
In your case, I think you either had a tosser of a tuner OR, you right, the chip is a dud but then the tuner should have seen that on the dyno on the first run....as for his claims of more power than a 3.2 out of your 2.5, walk away because I don't know about you but, I can't see through "mud". Do it right before your R5500 chip becomes a R30 000 rebuild.[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the info Ralph and Scrat. Believe me when I say, I never had unrealistic presumptions with the chip. But I at least had to feel a difference somewhere.

I can accept more fuel being consumed, but power wise, like I said not even the slightest difference, and believe me I know my vehicle. And after the chip I didn't alter my driving style one bit so as to be sure that I will be able to notice any difference. Worse fuel consumption was all I noticed.

I will report back after I take the Triton back to the chip guys. But this time I will stand next to the dynometer and catch the first print out indicating the kw and nw on the wheels, and then with the chip fitted, I'll catch the 2nd one as well while its being spit out.

For that amount you got to get something.

ZS6NJS

Old 22-04-10, 07:30 AM

Fitted a Dastec chip yesterday at Koos Swanepoel. R2750.

Vehicle came in with "completely messed up mapping" which they completely remapped. They recon the catalytic converter is clogged so could not improve the kw much - will speak to dealers about this.
Before 111kw, 335nm
After 121kw, 436nm (101nm, 30%up)
They recon with the catalytic converted cleaned I should get about 130-133kw.

With my 32" tyres my on board computer used to average 14.3km/100l
now 12.5km/100l but still early days.

Man is she a beaut to drive now!
Will post fuel consumption to this thread after my Richtersveld trip this weekend.

Alu-Cab, Burnco Bumper & Rock sliders, Charlie Brown bash plate, ARB mounted compressor, GME 29Mhz, Dastec Unichip (131kw/466nm), Front Runner 72l aux fuel tank, National Luna 52l & dual battery, Chuma Drawer System+100l s/s water tank, OME front coils, OME shocks, Iron Man rear leaf, Cooper STT 265/76R16, Nuvi500

Old 22-04-10, 07:56 AM
aka Vrod

I see the chip prices are all over the place, SAC quote what R5900, now I see R2750 for the Dastek....what gives? I want to fit a chip but even on gumtree, they going for R600-R2500 second hand?

I asked Dastek if their chips are common, just a harness change so you can use a Tritons chip on the Ranger, just use the correct harness/plugs...no reply as yet, does anyone know the answer to this as well?

Thanks
Old 22-04-10, 12:57 PM

Hi Scrat

This is what I have been told.
The SAC price of R5900 is for the Dastec plug and play chip -including fitment.
Koos Swanepoels price for this is R5500.
This has a vehicle specific plug that merely plugs into your vehicles wiring loom.
Koos Swanepoel also offers to wire the chip inn without the vehicle specific plug for R2750 including fitting, remapping & dyno.

The chip may be removed and a bypass plug fitted in its place. The chip can be fitted to any subsequent vehicle for about half that ie about R1375 for the wiring.

With the chip fitted the dealers will not see it on their tuning/diagnostic computer.

NB! I am also very new to this so I hope I have not misunderstood anything I have heard.

Old 22-04-10, 03:53 PM
aka Vrod

I thought as much, they will charge ALOT for the harness that costs next to nothing...LOL...basterds...clever but then the OEM also do that, buy tow hitch, you PAY for the harness plug or lose your waranty...

Ok so I'll get a second hand unit and but the harness, thanks for the info.
Old 30-04-10, 11:26 AM

Ralph
I see you had the quadro drive chip installed, any idea what the difference would be between t6hat and the mono drive chip? I know the mono has less setting (only one base map) but what does this actually mean and what, in your opinion would be the better option all things considered?
Old 05-05-10, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Would this mean that all the Bosch centres are approved or just Alan Black in Springs?

ONLY ALAN BLACK....I used to work for Mitsubishi S.A. AND BELIEVE ME IF THE VEHICLE FAILS AND THE DEALER DISCOVERS A CHIP FITTED BY ANYONE ELSE BESIDES A B, THEY WILL DECLINE THE CLAIM IF THE VEHICLE IS UNDER WARRANTY

ZSL580

Old 06-05-10, 11:32 AM

Tritontitan , has your fuel consumption improved of late ?
Old 06-05-10, 04:04 PM

Robass, I have not yet calculated my normal use. With my extra fuel tank, I need a whole month without trips to compare with my old calculated fuel consumption figures.

However, according to the onboard computer the fuel consumption has improved immensely.

My consumption was bad due to the large tyres, mud tread, Alucab canopy and roof rack on cab.

My onboard computer overstates the consumption by 10% since I installed larger tyres. (it thinks the distance is less than it actually is).

So:
Around town it was showing 14.3-14.7l/100km. less 10% = 12.87-13.23l/100km
Now it shows 12.2-12.5l/100km. less 10% = 10.98-11.25l/100km
So an improvement around town of 1.9-2l/100km almost 15%

On the open road I found the consumption at 120-140km/h with sleeping bags and mattrasses and tent on front roof rack and a spare 265/70/16 tyre on the back roof rack, to be the same as 100-110km/h with only tent on front roof rack and nothing on the back roofrack.

So all in I am very chuffed with the fuel consumption improvement! This is obviously unique to my vehicle. Koos Swanepoel said the mapping was not correct when my vehicle came in and was "all over the place." So maybe I got a better improvement than most can expect, I am not sure. The extra torque has made an unbelievable diffrence in drivabilty!