logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Ssangyong

4x4Community

Old 09-07-09, 09:51 PM

Angry Gearbox problems

OK, so my Musso had a leak on the gearbox , not bad but still a leak. I had it to a local grease monkey, he's not bad at all, pretty good guy, and he charged me R1500 to take the gearbox out, strip it, seal it and re-assemble it!

Now a week later it is still leaking oil! Went back and had a look again and we found a hairline crack on the casing that bolts to the bellhousing......! Now I have to fork out more money to have the gearbox taken out again, stripped and welded and then re-assembled....

I'm at the point of plakking plastic steal on the crack and trade it in on something cheap.....

Anybody interrested in buying a Musso 602 EL, '99 model with 115 000km on the clock for R40 000

'06 Disco 3 TDV6 S (De-cat, EGR blanked, remap, Johnson rods suspension rods, 285/65-R17 Kuhmo KL61) - BEAST
Previously;
'04 Terracan 3.5 V6
'96 Ssang Yong Musso 602 (non turbo manual)
'04 Ford Ranger 2.5 TDI D/C 4x4 with Solid front axle and 33" Maxxis

Old 10-07-09, 11:11 AM

Why did you sell the Ford ?
Old 10-07-09, 08:01 PM

Oh man, where should I start.....

I lost my job, got retrenched. Didn't have a lot saved up and had to sell the Ford to at least have some money to keep food on the table and pay the house.....next I sold the wifes BMW to get all that debt off our name. Now I went and used some of the money we had saved up to buy the Musso for R39 900 and now all this happens.
The Musso looks almost brand new inside and outside still looks great, couple of small things but nothing big. I had to cough to pay the R1500 to have the leak fixed on the gearbox and now it turns out not to have been the gaskets!
I had 2 interviews with Old Mutual and got the job today but the starting salary will only pay for half my house....! So that aint going to fly neither.... Sorry, but I'm frustrated like m0er because I can't find a job to pay for the house and we have put so much into it, you just wouldn't believe.

'06 Disco 3 TDV6 S (De-cat, EGR blanked, remap, Johnson rods suspension rods, 285/65-R17 Kuhmo KL61) - BEAST
Previously;
'04 Terracan 3.5 V6

Old 16-07-09, 12:17 PM

Dont get negative just keep believing. Me and my friends will pray for you. Remember God is never late, he just uses his own time

Old 16-07-09, 12:55 PM

Go to your bank, talk to them tell them what you did from your side, then ask them to help you to pay a reduced premium for a while. Hope you come right

Supporter of Anti Rhino Poaching
4x4AG: 013
Challanger Explorer trailer with Conqueror Trailer Top Tent
Pajero Sport 3.2 DiD
VHF Radio, Front Runner Roof Rack, Snorkel, NL Dual battery system,Rocksliders, Bashplate, G Box Plate, Suspension lift, Hankook AT's, Long Range tank

Old 16-07-09, 01:07 PM

Hi, Offroad Junkie.

The idea of plastic steel is in fact not such a bad one - and you can keep the Musso afterwards...

It depends on the cause of the crack. It may have been due to incorrect ightening procedure, some bolts may have originally beel loose causing others to carry the load etc. etc.

Ensure all bolts are tight.

Drain the housing of all oil. Grind / file / scrape a decent sized "V" over the crack and warm up the area where the crack is (to about 50degC). A heat gun / primus burner etc. will do the job fine. Buy a tin of Loctite Primer and spray onto the affected area. Ensure all traces of oiliness is removed. The Primer will also assist with the proper setting of the Plastic Steel.

Mix the plastic steel and work it into the crack - push VERY hard and fill the "V" completely. Take it up to the level of the original metal and do NOT overlap onto the sides at this stage. Let this harden for about 2 hours. Then apply a second coat but in a bead form - this time overlap onto the sides by about 10mm per side. Let this harden for 24hours.

You can then file the Plastic Steel into a good, neat bead, and if you wish to, paint over the whole area with stoneguard or any other waterproof epoxy based paint (again after priming with Loctite Primer).

This repair should last as long as the rest of the box.
Old 20-07-09, 09:23 PM

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, it's appreciated. I did speak with ABSA and they 'froze' my house payments for 3 months but I still pay the interrest on that amount for the 3 months.....

Back to the gearbox problem;
I jacked the Musso up and crawled underneath to try and find out why the gearbox got a crack and here is my idea; All the engine mountings and the gearbox mounting are done for.....you can lay underneath and shake the whole motor and gearbox by shaking the gearbox up and down. Something I also noticed was that the back propshaft was EXTREMELY close to the bracket holding the fuel tank in place that is fixed to the round bar that reaches from the one side of the chassis to the other side.... So my thinking is that the whole gearbox must sit A LOT higher and because it is 'hanging' so low, put tension on the top side of the gearbox casing and thus caused the crack.

Now I'm no big mechanic but I am a CNC turner machinist, so my mechanical aptitude is not bad. So what do the experts think?

Previously;
'04 Terracan 3.5 V6

Old 21-07-09, 10:51 PM

Hi Offroad Junky.
I have worked for a few years exclusively on Musso's. The cracking gearbox casing is very common. My opinion is that the distance between the engine mountings and the puny little gearbox mounting is far too great. Too much unsupported weight for four bellhousing to gearbox case bolts to handle. Something has to give.I can donate a good second hand casing free of charge,but live in Cape Town.
Regards.
Marius.
021-556-3373
Old 22-07-09, 08:01 AM

Savannah.

Thank you very much for that. I'll pay for the transport from Cape Town to PE. If you wrap it in bubble wrap and box it up, can it be sent by priority mail with the post office? They have these prepaid boxes and fragile stickers, perhaps that will work.

Let me know which Post office is closest to you and I'll go down to my post office to get all the info and also pay if possible. You can reach me on 0845115277.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Previously;
'04 Terracan 3.5 V6

Old 26-07-09, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad junky View Post
OK, so my Musso had a leak on the gearbox , not bad but still a leak. I had it to a local grease monkey, he's not bad at all, pretty good guy, and he charged me R1500 to take the gearbox out, strip it, seal it and re-assemble it!

Now a week later it is still leaking oil! Went back and had a look again and we found a hairline crack on the casing that bolts to the bellhousing......! Now I have to fork out more money to have the gearbox taken out again, stripped and welded and then re-assembled....

I'm at the point of plakking plastic steal on the crack and trade it in on something cheap.....

Anybody interrested in buying a Musso 602 EL, '99 model with 115 000km on the clock for R40 000
Hi,Ek het dieselfde probleem met my'99 model gehad.het dit laat sweis maar
dit het weer gekraak.het die kar toe verkoop.my '96 en '2003 model het geen probleme gahad nie.
groetnis
paul nel
Old 31-07-09, 10:44 AM

Off Road Junky

Ek kan In PE Atties Motors aanbeveel as jy iemand nodig het om te werk
041 487 2062

Ek weet een ding en dit is dat mens nie rondspeel met silicones en gasketmakers op ratkaste nieal lyk dit soos n dun lagie kan dit die measurements redelik beinvloed

Groete Vuurmaker
Old 31-07-09, 12:58 PM

Vuurmaker,

Dankie. Hier is 'n besigheid in Depatch, LG Auto works en hulle is baie goed. Die eienaar is 'n gekwalifiseerde Autolec en mechanic.

Ons het 'n barmhartige samaritaan op die forum wat my 'n 2de handse casing gegee het (Omdat ek werkloos is en nog werk soek), ek betaal net vir die pos van die gearbox casing. Ek sal vir LG Auto works vra om net die gerbox oor te bou vir my. Ek het darem my ma se golfie om mee te ry as ons moet in daardie tyd.

Ek dink ek sal maar die Musso verkoop wanneer hy heeltemal reg is want ek sal nou weer daardie geld nodig kry......

Previously;
'04 Terracan 3.5 V6